• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunting after Ko's

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkJosh

Smash Cadet
When do you guys think is appropriate to taunt in For Glory mode? I personally think it's pretty annoying when you see someone who taunts every chance they get (especially if they are a "tryhard" character like Mac or Falcon)

Yes, taunting is to show joy about something that just happened, but is it really necessary to brag after every ko?

What are your opinions?

RIP_Lucas

Smash Apprentice
Taunting is a mind game tool. If it annoys you, then it's working.

I personally only taunt after doing especially impressive things. If all I did was happen to be the first one to land a KO move, but am still at 120% or something, I have almost nothing to brag about. If I did a big comeback, showed some impressive amount of prediction skills, landed a cool combo, or just somehow managed to win against a really good opponent, a taunt is acceptable

I do occasionally do some things people would define as ass wholery, like if I'm sonic, and I manage a side b into b air, there's not much follow up and there's plenty of space, so I'll throw out a down taunt (Come on!) to get under their skin. Every second they're thinking, "i am so gonna get this guy" is a second they're not thinking how to counter my approach or analyzing their stage position, which only serves to help me.

That's online though. In person, don't ever taunt unless you think the crowd would like it. It shows immaturity and is really lame.

AUS

Smash Cadet
I admit that I will taunt sometime in For Glory once I have destroyed someone, not when I took a stock off. I understand that some people may take it to heart but you have to realize that its just a way to express happiness when your winning. However never do it at a tournament, unless your Leffen or your at the Salty Suite.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think people take taunts way too seriously. The way I see it, it's just something funny or interesting to look at while a character is still respawning.

The only time I really see it as a sign of disrespect is when someone taunts mid-match. It shows that you aren't taking your opponent seriously.

LthePanda

Smash Rookie
NNID
LthePanda
I never taunt, unless its against somebody thats on the same page as me and we're having fun, but I dont mind when someone taunts against me at all. I think the only time it bugs me is when theres lag and my death is caused by it rather than them.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I taunt out of habit.
Me and my little brothers did it whenever we landed a kill in melee (there were a lot of redundant, yet awesomely named bonuses), and i still do it instinctively when i land a kill in Smash4.

It has nothing to do with respect or being cool.

In person, don't ever taunt unless you think the crowd would like it. It shows immaturity and is really lame.
...you mean, outside of the game, right? Like walking up to your opponent and talking bad about him?
Because taunting in smash is completely harmless.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
i only taunt when i do somethin impressive or gimp someone for an early KO due to really good reads. ESPECIALLY Mac players. On the flipside, I love when players get a KO on me and celebrate that 1 stock with a taunt only to get reverse 2-stocked immediately afterwards. its rewarding demoralizing those types of people

Last edited:

moomoomamoo

Smash Apprentice
In the end, it's not against the rules, so don't let it get to you.

That being said, mostly bad players taunt after ever kill. For those saying it's just a habit or it's to express joy and happiness. I'm all for expressing joy and happiness, but don't forget that it's called 'taunting' for a reason. How about showing some tech skill if you want to do something between kills. The only time you should taunt is when you're making a statement, and this is really all it should be used for. If you're at a tourney, be prepared to accept a money match, or you'll look like a fool regardless if you win or lose the match. And not to support taunting, but if you're going to taunt, taunt someone who is still on stage and not when they're flying into the blast zone.

The only exception to this is when you're playing and something amazing or unheard of happens. New glitch is discovered? Better pose for that replay. Sometimes taunting can be used to lighten the mood during casual matches. If someone sd's over something stupid, one could taunt and both people will laugh it off. Just note that if you're taunting to laugh at the moment, you should express this outside of match so that the other player understands that it's too make fun of the moment and not the player.

tl;dr taunting has weight, be prepared to back up that button or look stupid.

Sonic94

Smash Apprentice
When do you guys think is appropriate to taunt in For Glory mode? I personally think it's pretty annoying when you see someone who taunts every chance they get (especially if they are a "tryhard" character like Mac or Falcon)

Yes, taunting is to show joy about something that just happened, but is it really necessary to brag after every ko?

What are your opinions?
Maybe you're the tryhard :|

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman

What are your opinions?
Who cares? learn to handle your salt levels, you're gonna get taunted and disrespected in any game. Either you learn to deal with it, or you accept the fact that you're going to play a bad game against half of the players you ever play in any fighting game. Personally if i taunt someone, and i notice it puts them into rage mode and makes them start playing aggro and predictably, than i'll keep taunting because it's increasing my chances of winning. But generally i just taunt after a particularly good kill, or to show respect after someone kills me with an impressive play.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283

What are your opinions?
Taunt back if it bothers you. You have the same tools at your disposal.

Though I've learned never to take any Falcon taunt seriously. Half the time I can't tell if Mac is taunting unless Doc Louis chimes in.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I taunt after kills because it's hard wired into my brain after getting that Melee bonus for so many years. (I miss bonuses...)

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
I think taunting is sort of rude. That being said, I'd taunt if I believed they were being cheap in anyway.

_gold_

Smash Master
I try to avoid taunting all together. I only use it when my opponent does it constantly, and then I defeat them.
I don't think there's anything wrong with it when you're playing with friends casually. You're playing for fun. But if you're playing competitively, I won't taunt. So please, show respect and don't taunt either.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
don't forget that it's called 'taunting' for a reason.
In japanese is called "appeal", so the intent was obviously not provoking anyone.

For me it doesn't really matter if I or my opponents do or do not taunt during a match.

Last edited:

servbot 42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Servbot42
when people taunt after a KO it feels so drull. the CPU does it every time you get KOd so I feel its the same. almost like a conditioning, like that experiment where the dog drools when he hears a bell. Its better when you move your character in some manner where the other player knows your taunting, like Bowser on the ledge or that falcon thing were you pause the game and shake the camera.

Solcast

Smash Rookie
NNID
Panda-san21
At first I don't taunt, but I'm trying to get a habit of it because it seems so fun~ I only taunt after I KO someone. It's like saying I'm one step closer to beating you. I also taunt if the person I'm fighting is being rude/trolly. Gotta show them who's the boss you know XD However, I don't taunt if someone suicides because I just feel bad for them.

Pikachu24Fan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pikachu24Fan
3DS FC
4725-8122-1698
I usually don't taunt unless at the start of the match my opponents taunt, or if I do something awesome with pikachu though I try not too taunt all the time since I don't really see a need for it.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Like I said in a pervious thread. I never take people in for glory serously, there's enough going on in that mode that can fill up a kindergarten, people there know its the internet. therefore they will act in any manner they want if it gets to you. they will taunt spam, leave after winning with 1 stock remaining and 170% damage left, (having that said match VERY close and could have went either way, but they dont want a rematch because they know next round they would get beaten).

Glory wifi lag heroes will taunt because they can remain anonymous while doing it, so you have to take it no matter what. so if it pisses you off, oh well. no one would care cause its the internet.

Now there are some people who do crazy things and taunt which is understandable. and then there is people on your friend list who will taunt to send a message. or they will taunt out of a rivalry (you played that person so many times. you like the person but hate to lose).

Taunting is how you want to take it, not everyone have the same intentions as the glory heroes, its up to you how you wanna take that and if you find it offense, be it with friends, randoms, or your own brother/sister. in the end never take it seriously enough to piss you off, it's just a game

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
- Breaks someone's shield with Shield breaker
- Does mask taunt
- Follows up with fully charged Shield breaker for the KO (unless it's Jigglypuff)
- Proceeds to do Nanomachines Son taunt combo after KO if with friends

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
- Breaks someone's shield with Shield breaker
- Does mask taunt
- Follows up with fully charged Shield breaker for the KO (unless it's Jigglypuff)
- Proceeds to do Nanomachines Son taunt combo after KO if with friends
Thats pouring salt into the wound right there.
Some days, I suppose when I'm in a good mood, I just kind of laugh off the taunts. Other days, I punch the nearest wall.

Last edited:

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
It usually is just a mindgame tool...or a tool tool. Learning to not let it phase you is part of keeping cool under pressure, though I wouldn't fault anyone for getting a tad salty at the dog laugh.

I'm admittedly a taunt fiend with Falcon, cuz, y'know, Falcon, but try to keep it to a minimum with other characters. If someone taunts after they KO, I'll do the same in return after I school 'em. And although I doubt most get what I'm going for, I like to do complimentary taunts if someone takes my first stock in a novel way.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
We've definitely had threads for this in the past, so this is getting closed.

There's nothing wrong with taunting. It's an established mechanic. Don't like it? That's your own fault. Don't blame others for doing something they're allowed to do.

And for God's sake, "tryhard character"? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom