• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunt transforming made easy. You WILL succeed!

David Wonn

Smash Ace
This falls in the gray area between the Samus and ZSS forums, but since the motions are done while starting out as armored Samus, it seems more appropriate here. I will just get straight to the point:

You have all probably seen at least one Samus player who transforms with taunts willingly. Perhaps it was in an online match or from watching some vids. I happen to be able to transform Samus at will 99% of the time on the first try with any of the four types of controllers in training mode at 1.5x speed. Yes, that includes the Wiimote alone. How? I'll break it down from easiest methods to the more difficult:

Method A:

Even if you have struggled with the taunt transformation and given up in the past, this is the easiest method by far. It is surprisingly not well-known, and people assume it's impossible with the Wiimote alone. Since everyone has a Wiimote, this will be a great staring point. With the default controls, the A button by itself does the "Up" taunt. Conveniently, just holding Down on the control cross (with the Wiimote already oriented sideways) while pressing A will do the "down" taunt. All you have to do is hold A and tap Down 4 times fast. That's all! It's insanely easy. If you aren't getting this to work in the first few tries, go to training mode and set it to 1/4 speed and practice there. As you get more confident, gradually increase the speed.

Now if you really want to practice in the most efficient way possible, have two other controllers designated as P1 and P2, and have the Wiimote designated as P3. With the P1 controller go to training mode, and select Samus as both the human and CPU. Start on any level, and set the CPUs to Human controlled, and change it to 2 CPUs. Your Wiimote should be controlling the 2nd CPU. Practice the taunt transformation with this character. When you succeed, go back to the P1 controller, change the CPUs to 1, unpause, pause, and set it back to 2 CPUs. This will reset your ZSS back to Samus so you can practice over and over. Alternatively, you could just activate a Smash Ball, but deactivating and reactivating a human-controlled CPU is just faster.

Method B:

If you are using the Wiimote with the Nunchuck or Classic Controller, simply unplug it, use Method A, and plug it back in. Easy. ;-)

Method C:

If you are using the Wiimote with the Nunchuck and do not feel like unplugging the Nunchuck, try this. Go to Options - Controls, and create a new control scheme. Name it "Samus" or something easy enough to remember. Modify the controls by either swapping control cross "Down" (assuming upright position) with button 2, or by swapping control cross "Up" with button 1. Just don't do both! Now go into training mode with these controls. Unfortunately you can't modify CPU controls, so just have the Wiichuck set as P1 this time. Simply alternate between the "up" taunt and "down" taunt 4 times each. Yes, UDUDUDUD is the minimum requirement. The key behind this swap is that you prevent yourself from accidentally side taunting in between taunts. Since this is harder than Method A (or B), you will likely want to start on slow speeds.

Method D:

Last but not least are the methods with the default controls on the GameCube or Classic controllers. Unfortunately most people start with this method, so it's no wonder many give up so easily! Seriously, try the other methods before diving into this one. All I can say is that it takes a lot of practice in training mode on slow speeds before you will ever get comfortable at normal (and 1.5 speed for the hardcore.) What I do is "cup" my hand around the GC controller with my right hand so that all 4 fingers are at the top of the controller with the cord in between my middle and ring fingers. My right thumb is usually between the C-stick and right handle or somewhere nearby. The controller is now rotated 90 degrees sideways to the left. In this configuration, I now use the left thumb rapidly across the control cross left and right (which corresponds to the real "up" and "down" buttons on the controller.) It may or may not work for you, so feel free to experiment until you find what works best. Good luck!

When should I use this?

Once you become proficient with a consistent technique, the hardest part is actually finding a good time to do this in a match. That is where I struggle most. If you have a competitive duel with a good player, that is definitely not the best time to practice. However, you might find a good opportunity when you have hit your opponent off-stage at mid to high damage with the charge beam, but not quite far enough to kill them. That is the most ideal time that I have found in a duel. It mixes things up and can catch your opponent off-guard if you find they are reading your Samus well enough, but might not know how to handle your Zero Suit Samus. You are much more likely to find a good use in teams, though, assuming you have a good partner to cover for you while you are vulnerable.

Other than that, I find it has many uses in casual and online play, especially when dealing with those annoying random item matches. If an enemy collects the Dragoon parts near the end of a match, you can stall long enough to make them think twice. I have saved such online matches and it was pretty epic. Also, it cancels the effects of poison mushrooms and timers, which could save your stock and surprise your opponents. Furthermore, if you are Samus paired with a ZSS in Team Battle online, your transformation will happen almost instantly since your character is already loaded. Likewise in Basic Brawl, try to match the color of your Samus with a ZSS. You can transform just as fast this way.

And when you get really, really good at it, try taunt transforming safely through a Chimera on New Pork City. It not only looks awesome as you can imagine, but you'll also likely make a great impression. It's one of my signature moves I try online whenever possible.

To wrap things up, seriously everyone, try the Wiimote method! I am determined to prove to everyone that it really doesn't have to be a hard task that only so few can do. Anyone can do this.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If you are gonna use ZSS you might as well start as her...

BUT i see a few advantages:

1. Items on last stock - armor pieces are so good at getting a kill, can make that last stock an easy kill instead of hard as everyone plays harder on their last stock

2. Playstyle change - iffy but adjusting to different playstyle can have a minor impact

BUT...

1. You are playing as a low tier samus who transforms into high tier ZSS which means you can only do this in tourney where you will be most likely fighting other high tiers.. hell even mid tiers which give Samus a hard time.

2. you have know how to use 2 characters

3. ZSS > Samus in most/all MUs, so surprise factor isn't that great...

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I experimented with the change-up a little bit in August, and it doesn't work too badly. The only thing is that I found I would be taking hits after a transformation. The best way to use this is if you have a stock lead on their last stock or something - then the hits don't matter, and the chances of getting an easy stock with armor pieces are worth it.

Since you're in control, it'll be easier for you to mentally adjust to ZSS. Especially if you condition your opponents hard with Samus by playing super-campy, then suddenly you're aggressive with ZSS... messes with their heads, man.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Try the Wiimote method, everyone. It's easy.

Glad to see that some are finding this useful, even if it is rather situational. My favorite use in a serious match is when I'm ahead and my opponent is on the last stock, or in the distant process of recovery on their next to last stock. Naturally it's very fun to show off in casual matches too.

Anyway, I would really appreciate input from Samus mains who have never tried (or never knew about) the Wiimote method. I want this to become second nature for everyone. Even if it doesn't become part of her metagame, it certainly can't hurt.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm one of those ppl who's never had any problems transforming in the first place :p
I just work that + at Light Speed on my Gamecube Controller.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'd consider the Wiimote method more often if I weren't a natural button masher, and I worked out the kinks of alternating 1/2 without side taunting.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
super easy method on GC controller, i love using it: put your right index finger on the bottom part, your right middle finger on the top of the dpad, and rock your hand. avoids hitting the side taunts

David Wonn

Smash Ace
One more handy tip

I almost forgot to include a tip that makes things slightly easier. If you find yourself accidentally doing just a normal taunt, then this is for you. Just before you are ready to do the taunt transformation, jump, charge the beam, fire a missile, or do any similar action that makes it impossible to taunt accidentally. This way you can quickly go through the usual motions in advance and easily transform after distracting or keeping your opponent occupied with your other move. I find it especially handy after double missiles or a charged beam.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
One very situational reversal

There is one situation where the taunt transformation can be undone without a smash ball. Unfortunately it only happens in SSE Adventure Mode and only during the first time going through specific levels. In the later stages which feature Power Suit Samus as one of the few selectable characters, you can taunt-transform early on or at a strategic point in order to make things easier or even potentially aid a speedrun. If the stage goes to a cut-scene where you re-select Samus, you mysteriously revert back to Power Suit Samus. IMO, it's handy against Meta Ridley on Intense as one example, but again, it's only possible on your first run through a level.

Top Bottom