• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taunt discussion! Now with Full Taunt Tier List!

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
what do you guys do when people miss taunt cancels that you are able to punish at the moment

do u beat them up or just wait

i personally wait

or jab them once and run away

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
what do you guys do when people miss taunt cancels that you are able to punish at the moment

do u beat them up or just wait

i personally wait

or jab them once and run away

When I play anyone but fox, I just beat them up.

When I play fox I try to shine jab and, if I successful do so, i run away off the stage and just shine pivot to my death. Its quite a strange spectacle.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Yeah thts obviously what i meant...
So uh, was DI intended to be in the game?
pretty sure yes. explanation of how to DI was on that old official japanese site.

Also I don't see how DI could be just a mistake of game mechanics like taunt cancels are (the ledge/teetering animation overrides the taunt animation). The designers could have made it so that you're frozen while being hit, but they didn't.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Think we had a discussion about DI in the ask a question thread. And we found out as ballin said that it was on the japanese official SSB site from 1999. So it was most likely planned.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Not to mention that DI has remained in the sequels to 64, UNLIKE TAUNT CANCELING. WHY, SAKURAI? IT WAS COMPLETELY HARMLESS AND REALLY COOL.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Wind taunt canceling is the same thing as taunt canceling, it's just a clever use of the wind + dash canceling property of the taunt cancel. Theoretically you could do the same thing if a stream of characters were continuously walking into you. You might not even need more than one other character...TAS?

I think this property of the taunt cancel is often overlooked when one's attention is focused mostly on the amusing sounds. Especially on platform-heavy stages like Dreamland. There's potentially all sorts of conditioning you can exercise on your opponent by coupling the sound to the options of falling off, dashing back, or simply pivoting after the cancel. Even without the aural conditioning, the cancel adds positioning options. It's the only way I know of to stop cleanly on edges from a dash when there's not enough room to go into normal dash (shieldbrake at that proximity can only be a shielddash that causes you to slip off, and grabbing has ending lag and is not as clean).

It's just a shame the L button is located at such a distance. Using that weird "left hand covers L and stick" grasp...it's the way of the future, guys.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Actually if you run into a character teetering on the edge and taunt cancel you can continuously taunt, like with the wind. Hard to describe.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
That sounds plausible since their position would be pushing you away. The t-cancel could stop that movement within a certain window.

Not to mention that DI has remained in the sequels to 64, UNLIKE TAUNT CANCELING. WHY, SAKURAI? IT WAS COMPLETELY HARMLESS AND REALLY COOL.
He saw that Kirby couldn't make his "HIIIII" noise and decided it was therefore unnecessary.

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
I know i'm a bit behind on the discussion, but I think it's pretty easy to taunt cancel with almost everyone. The only one i had trouble with is yoshi.

Agony

Smash Rookie
Olikus scrive:
your list isnt up yet bear
Bear scrive:
i never said i was posting one
>=(
Olikus scrive:
:-O
then cave has to
EPIC TAUNT TIER
1. Captain Falcon

Reason: Idiot Nazi Gesture. Cool and annoying sound. Easy to spamcancel (rofl @tauncanceled-pivotledgegrab).

ANNOYING AND COOL TAUNT TIER
2. Donkey Kong

That stupid belch with shoulder shake is very funny. You *can* cancel it quite easily too (you can cancel every taunt but not everyone makes sound)

COOL TAUNT TIER
3. Mario
4. Ness

Yes, this is biased. Btw, spacing around after a kill and canceling that is very cool, i often do it on console. It's like mario is dancing pseudo-disco music).
Ness is cool too: The "o-gay" sound is well coupled with the easyNess to cancel and if you don't cancel it, the movement of ness' huge head gets on people's nerves very easily. Despite that, ness doesn't get a lot of occasions to taunt because he's gimped the whole time.

ANNOYING TAUNT TIER
5. Kirby
6. Jigglypuff
7. Fox
8. Yoshi

Everything about kirby is annoying, even his/her/its taunt: crappy little fat ball that says "hi" to you after having gimped you in a cheap way. It would definitely be higher if it would be tauntcancellable. Jiggz is funny too because she inflates, and fox is just so arrogant. I find yoshi's taunt to be somewhat similar to kirby's: but yoshi is much cooler than kirby so it isn't so annoying.

MEDIOCRE TAUNT TIER
9. Samus
10. Pikachu

Samus' is quite ok i think. You actually can't spam that, but a single taunt after having killed with super-kameameah-ish-nuclear-laser seems to be quite needed.
The little rat has a weak and inespressive taunt, but that's the only weak thing he's got =(

USELESS TAUNT TIER
11. Link
12. Luigi

Link's warrior stance was meant to be cool, but resulted in an epic fail. It isn't spammable, it isn't cool, he doesn't say anything you should remember for the rest of your life.
Luigi's taunt is by far the most stupid taunt ever. Wut, you just killed someone and to taunt him you do the "shy-that-kicks-little-rocks-on-the-street" thing. Nah.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Weegee's taunt has the most potential of any of them. Someday, in the final game of a grand finals somewhere, I'm gonna edgeguard a furiously recovering Yoshi or Jiggs with it on the tense final stock and ascend to Valhalla with the announcer's booming voice echoing in my ears.

Agony

Smash Rookie
You do realize luigis taunt is also an attack right?
Yep, I do, but his taunt still sucks u.u.
1% damage, very low knowback, shy face, and no cool sentences are pronounced.

I agree with olikus Battlecow, it can become epic if you get to implement it into your game; but you really can't. That thing is too slow even for Luigi.
It would be much cooler and easier, say, trying to get constant show-me-ya-moose-cancel into a falcon's game (every ledge you run through is taunt-canceled. so annoying =P).

Btw this is kinda pointless imho and I posted just because i was asked to :)

EDIT: FIXED

Olikus

Smash Champion
Weegee's taunt has the most potential of any of them. Someday, in the final game of a grand finals somewhere, I'm gonna edgeguard a furiously recovering Yoshi or Jiggs with it on the tense final stock and ascend to Valhalla with the announcer's booming voice echoing in my ears.
I'm looking forward to this :D

Okay, then i have counted up the suggestions for high tier. And it is as follow:

Ness: 6

Mario: 5

Yoshi: 4

Fox 2

So unfortunatly for the fox fans. He didnt made it. The high tier is then Ness, mario and yoshi in that order.

But since fox was close he will be top in mid tier.

Discuss the rest of mid tier!

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Extracted from mariowiki

Little is known about the gender-differences of Yoshi. The Japanese version of Super Smash Bros. Melee states in Yoshi's trophy that Yoshi reproduce asexually, meaning that they reproduce without a mate, and are neither male nor female.
So they dont have sex, they just eat some stuff and put off some eggs lol

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
was thinking, what about a japanese taunt teir list?

they do have different taunts and sounds in japanese smash, for example, jigglypuff. dat voice.

Olikus

Smash Champion
was thinking, what about a japanese taunt teir list?

they do have different taunts and sounds in japanese smash, for example, jigglypuff. dat voice.
Interesting. But I have lack of knowledge on the Japanese smash taunts. Feel free to post it though, and we'll see what we can do.

As for the other list the votes are as follow.

Fox is either high or mid

Jigglypuff : 4
Kirby: 4
Luigi: 4
samus: 1
Pikachu: 1

Luigi manage to get 4 votes, but since many has him in low he gets the lowest spot in the mid tier.

So if no one post more lists or come with suggestions the mid tier will be fox, jigglypuff, Kirby, Luigi in that order.

And the low tier will be: Pikachu, samus and Link. We might get a bottom tier for one of them if you guys want that as well.

So, I give you some more time befor it gets official.

@nixxxon. Thats funny, I always thought yoshi was a guy laying eggs, but that doesn't make much sense either :p

.SHIZSEI.

Smash Cadet
Okay

The game is perfect, and one of the things that make it perfect, is of course the amazing taunts.

You can use it to celebrate a cheap gimp.

Multiple Tauntcanceling to show of.

Make your opponent rage.

Play smash for the first time and don't know the buttons. Then press the L-button and then be amazed(or killed by your opponent).

But which character has actually the coolest taunt?

Link shows his acrobatics by standing on one foot.

Luigi who actually kicks, and the kick can do (not)INZANE damage.

DK who makes a burp sound, and can either looks like he don't know whats going on, or he just say whatever I'm to good for this clown.

And on and on....

Now the top and high tier of the taunt tier list is up

TAUNT TIER LIST

TOP TIER

Captain Falcon
DK

HIGH TIER

Ness
Mario
Yoshi

Now the mid tier discussion start.
DISCUSS!

Extra bonus info. The voices of ness and kirby is the same person. Did you know that? Of course you didn't.
dont forget kirby on the top tier

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
How would kirbies taunt ever be top tier? Does not even taunt cancel which makes up the majority of its ranking.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Oh wow. I just thought the pivot edgehog removed the power, but I guess he taunt canceled in there as well. That makes that 10x more epic :O

I dont know if that really affects my placement of kirby on the taunt list, but its something to think about.

Olikus

Smash Champion
okay folks! I been away for some time now, and no more lists so far. So the mid list will be:

Fox since he is listed high some playses, then:

Jigglypuff : 4
Kirby: 4
Luigi: 4
samus: 1
Pikachu: 1

As mention earlier Luigi manage to get 4 votes, but since many has him in low he gets the lowest spot in the mid tier.

So the mid tier will be fox, jigglypuff, Kirby, Luigi

So now we only miss the low tier. And if you guys want, we can do a bottom tier allso :) The remaining chars are Pikachu, Samus and Link

Discuss !

NixxxoN

Smash Master
i would say...

-Bestl taunts

DK
C. Falcon
Mario
Samus
Luigi
Fox

-Worst taunts

Pikachu
Ness
Kirby
Link
Yoshi
Jigglypuff

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
You guys should of started with the top and the bottem in filled in the middle later. That is just my opinion though. Completely disregarding the current taunt tier list I would like to state that the ones that can be canceled along with the ones with uses (DK, Kirby, Luigi) should the ones comprising the upper side of the list while the more useless ones (I.E. the ones that can not be canceled) should be at the bottom then breaking ties on the bottom should work by measuring how long it takes to pull it off I.E. how long you remain exposed for the duration of the taunt. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom