• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tap jump on or off?

Hairysun

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I usually never turn tap jump off, mainly because I use the joystick to SH > rising aerial super quickly, but with Yoshi, it almost seems more beneficial to have it off.

Pros of having it off:
Egg toss in air without having to buffer the up input before the jump
U-tilt is ****ing amazing and this makes it easier

Cons of having it off:
Harder to JC U-air, which is really really good
Slower jump out of shield

What are your guys' thoughts?

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
I keep it on to help exercise control and make it a bit easier to switch to Melee. I don't have a problem using u-tilt or egg toss in the air, but I claw so I already have access to the benefits you list, so the only thing it makes easier for me is u-smash OOS. So it doesn't make much of a difference to me whether tap jump is turned on.

I've heard that ECE is easier if tap jump is turned off but I do the accidental turnaround DJ when using Y to jump anyway so I'd still make the same kind of mistake if I turned it off.

Last edited:

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I have tap-jump off so I never screw up doing an up-tilt or an accidental DJC uair. I'm hard on my controller, so that's a personal issue

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
I've never understood the "makes utilt easier" argument. I've never had trouble getting utilt to come out without accidentally jumping, but then I do encounter the accidental double jump in the air when trying to throw eggs, so maybe it's a muscle memory thing. I always smash the stick instead of tilting it when doing B moves, which triggers a tap jump, it's a hard habit to break.

didds

Smash Lord
The Utilt thing is more of a non-melee background player thing I think. Finesse is never a bad thing to learn.

Hairysun

Smash Rookie
The Utilt thing is more of a non-melee background player thing I think. Finesse is never a bad thing to learn.
haha I played 64 and melee long before pm, so I know how to u-tilt without tap jump being off, it's just that it's so important for Yoshi to use on command that I think it's safer to have tap jump off so you don't mess u-tilt up.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Having tap jump on is something I've always been using to. I'm not sure why but it feels more fluid than if I were to use an input for it. Also, when I play Project M, I use Link. Link has a trick called Aerial Glide Tossing that he can do with his bombs and having tap jump on makes it much easier to perform the trick as well as when I need to use the AGT in order to bomb jump efficiently. It seems to be more of a preference for a good deal of players though. You shouldn't be slamming the stick up for an up tilt/up smash anyways. It's called tap jump, not tilt jump.

Super Papi

Smash Rookie
Back in Brawl, it was pretty recommended to keep tap jump off because of the loss of your DJ when egg throwing.

As of right now, I keep it off at all times. There are benefits and whatnot, but to be safe it's better to keep it off.

I've seen many accidents occur in tournaments as well, thanks to tap jump. Yoshi is just one of those characters that you have to be tap jump wary about, and would always recommend "off" and Y jumping.

didds

Smash Lord
Any mistakes due to having tap jump on can be avoided by just practicing and gaining more control.

It is definitely a good thing to have another jump input that you can use without distracting the same thumb that operates your B and A button and your c stick.

In the short run there is more success to keeping it off, in the long run your tech kit will be broader and more under control with it on.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Keeping tap jump on makes for easy DJL's because you can go Y->tap-jump and it always works because it'll buffer the double jump.

didds

Smash Lord
DJL's are just when you immediately ground yourself correct?
It's funny you mention that if that's the case since I've been trying to incorporate it into my oos options and it was one of the first things that came to mind when I was thinking tap jump on is better.

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Yup, you can tap jump as early as frame 3 of jumpsquat and you'll do a perfect DJL!

TamashiiEater

Smash Rookie
I say off, it's important to be able to have complete contorol over my aerials as well as not jumping or doing a djc egg toss. I feel like there is less margin for error. You can still pull of djl if you practice.

didds

Smash Lord
on on on, just gotta practice finesse. turning it off completely removes a left handed jump option and removing options is never good.

all advantages of having tap jump off can be achieved by developing better control of your fingers.

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
I keep tap jump on because I use it to SHDL with Fox and sometimes to jump from ledge (by habit). Also, I learned to uptilt without jumping in Melee, so I don't see any convincing reasons to disable it.

But that's Fox.

On Yoshi, I keep it on because it makes stuff like DJC uair so easy.

Also the whole jumping from ledge thing

Last edited:

TamashiiEater

Smash Rookie
on on on, just gotta practice finesse. turning it off completely removes a left handed jump option and removing options is never good.

all advantages of having tap jump off can be achieved by developing better control of your fingers.
I am having a hard time understanding why It is better than using a button.
What can u get out of a tap jump that you cant get out of a button press. All I can think of is a slightly easier to execute djl. I can jump oos easily I can djl without it, and since I am an L cancel beast I shffl like mad and if have to reset my stick to the position I need while slapping my cstick or tapping my a button (sometimes I use my grab button in the air for nairs and djc rising aerials) or when I need to get that extra horizontal movement out of a djc nair before I ff L cancel, and when I need to dash jump dj with some forward influence into a wave land right into my tilt (or my running grab/pivot grab/ jump command grab/jump away turn around command grab) the tap jump just makes it more difficult for such a minute reason.
Imo tap jump makes you djl easier but gives you more to think about and sometimes when your finesse is a little off it will change your status to sd instanly.

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
I am having a hard time understanding why It is better than using a button. What can u get out of a tap jump that you cant get out of a button press.
well it depends really, if you have L set to jump, then the tap jump is definitely unnecessary, so if that's the case for you then no problem really. It comes in very handy when you want to enter multiple inputs that requires the same hand/finger.

Like say I just want to do a rising uair full hop. I just hold up and press A. I'm essentially just saving an input. Yea it's not much really, just a little less I need to do. ECE's also become a lot easier since you can tap jump directly into your UpB input.

DJC uairs in place become easier, as does DJL'ing OoS.

Again, all of this could be just done with L as jump or what have you, but in the end, learning to finesse the stick up for tilts and aerials will only make you a better player in the long run.

This is coming from a tap jump off player who switched to it back on

PootisKonga

Smash Ace
All of my aerials are done with the C-Stick and I jump with Z, so I'm free to do full hop aerials
And what is so good about DJC aerials anyway? Especially with Uair, it just sounds like when you accidentally use up your double jump

didds

Smash Lord
DJC's allow you to pressure and ground yourself quicker as to allow quicker pressure afterwards. DJC would be useless on someone like fox who already returns to the ground incredibly fast, but Yoshi has a very slow and high short hop so it becomes vital to quickly pressuring a shield.

It also allows for a quick burst in a new direction. Like you can hop away to avoid an attack, and the DJC nair/fair back in to punish the wiff.

If you have another button mapped out for jump, then yea, tap jump isn't as necessary. It'll still make you a better player overall though since you'll have to practice finesse to avoid burning a double jump.

DJC uair definitely is way less needed in PM compared too melee, but can still make a good combo extender if you're good with it. Utilt works, but gives less damage and the trajectory of uair is better that ftilt for combos.

You can get by without this, but I'm always one who prefers to have a lot of options available.

didds

Smash Lord
I'll add that realistically, ece's and DJL OoS are the most notably easier techs with tap jump on. Personally I double tap the jump button for DJC aerials unless it's a uair in place.

TamashiiEater

Smash Rookie
All of my aerials are done with the C-Stick and I jump with Z, so I'm free to do full hop aerials
And what is so good about DJC aerials anyway? Especially with Uair, it just sounds like when you accidentally use up your double jump
Approach with djc nair out of dash, move your stick forward just a tad and hold a to move a lil forward then instantly fast fall L cancel, next hit is free at low percent. You're welcome. If done correctly you will barely leave the ground, do a nair with a little horrizontal movement and then L cancel for some free jabs at extremely low percents/ a tilt off stage for a meteor set up at around 20%/double jab d tilt/ double jab meteor shffl to jab reset to up tilt etc etc etc.

Last edited:

Mumbo

Smash Journeyman
Whether you turn tap jump on or off, I very strongly recommend you learn to do DJC aerials without tap jump so you have horizontal control during your DJC. It's better for DJC uair chases, but especially for turn around DJC (where you have to input the change in direction in between jump inputs).

Top Bottom