• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Talk about pichew tactics, ask Q get a few A's etc.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I would like to start a pichu tactics and etc. thread because everyone of my posts are a freakin guide anymore and pichu's metagame is begging to be messed with.

Ask Q's like what's the point of down-throw or whatever.
talk about ideas that don't need their own thread.

Also I have to many ideas all over the place and I want to keep them fresh and I may make a guide or something because A lot of stuff I know isn't in any other guides.

I would like to start by talking about pichu movement feel free to talk about whatever

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I think Pichu's best approach is probably a short-hopped nair, it's fast, sets up combos and has quite wide range.

Does anyone use Pichu's Down B? If it is worth using, is it worth the extra effort to jump so it doesn't hit you?

I think one of Pichu's best attacks is his B, it is easily spammable, fast and disrupts the opponent quite well. I often use one right before I attack just so they will be having to dodge two things at once, what is the best way of achieving this lose, lose situation?

j3ly

Smash Champion
If you dthrow close to the edge you are pretty much guaranteed a regrab/techchase/jab reset if you are used to reacting quick enough, maybe some chars you could tech chase a fair amount even from the middle?

Pichus platform waveland is terrible, it doesn't increase his speed atall and no moves can be wavelanded after (save uair sometimes?)

Pichu is the 2nd most overall nimble char in the game, after Young link

i know more but i need inspiration to get into essays

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
wow hes not even spelling pichu correctly anymore
THat's right F*** everyone even pichu

Grim-I use thunder a lot like when i'm hit way up I di to the edge and thunder so I create a wall to stop them from upairing me. Also you fall faster using down-B, plus if you are hit by thunder there is more lag, damage and it's impossible to combo a fox with it (lol it''s funny but uber rare).

what is the best way of achieving this lose? um I guess picking kirby I didn't get it grim.

pichu isn't nimble unless you're talking about what the dolls say. No pichu would like 4th fox would be 1st then sheik and marth. Unless i'm misunderstanding you. The best non jab reset or tech chase combo with D-throw is down-throw f-tilt on gannon at 87% so yeah not even a legit up-tilt but most people don't air dogde the 1st frame they can so mayybbbbbbeeee you can dropzone someonne

j3ly

Smash Champion
That sadest thing in the world is someone understanding life and all the great things and how amazing it is and no one listens understands!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
That's my whole life story.

I just found out that thunder moves with some stages like on rainbow ride. You can watch it inch along I wish it didn't move at all so it would force them into it. Hey any ideas how to camp as pichu I have always wanted to camp like a jerk as pichu even if it only works on one stage.

j3ly

Smash Champion
Well utilt hits around him and has mad priority so i get you could alternate between WDback->Fsmash and just general campy utilts. I can bolt camp pretty well, but the problem is that it does damage to pichu lmao. Switching up the height and whatnot of a projectile is no hard feat, but taking 1% damage every time u B is baaaaad.

On FD you have the option of... uuuhh thunder camping i guess, but i dont think it would be super effective. Maybe once or twice against a predictable opponent, as u said create like a wall. Maybe follow with a bolt and see what the opp does

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Maybe run away thunder mix up with a bolt you know running FH looks the same for both. Also i've tryed camping on corn before bit I messed up really bad(I camped on the guns) and corn isn't legit anymore. The problem with up-tilt is that fox's jab outranges every single move you have

j3ly

Smash Champion
LOL i never thought about that. I guess when i play a fox with my pichu it really just comes down to who is the superior player - after i dance around their defences with the Mario i might switch to pichu. Its gotten to the point in my play i can now freestyle combo with most enemy DI,

I really really enjoy playing floaties with pichu now. Obvs it HAS to be on a stages with platforms, final D is just a hit and run fest. But even jiggs, if you think about it puff dittos are a beautiful thing - a char that cannot be combo'd to death, so you have to resort to 2, maaybe 3 hit combos over and over.
Mindgames,
penetrate,
3 hit combo.
Maybe 1 more hit off edgeguarding.
Playing pichu against a floaty, you have to be smart. You have to be thinking of those neutral A intercepters that may well kill the tiny piece of crap a 80% (im thinking luigi atm). Games where the utilt->nair/dair really really count, games where that edgeguard has to be perfect every time. It helps that pichu can be MEGA suicidal dont u think, u can run, take a poorly aimed potshot at your recovering opponent and even if u miss - still make it back to the stage first, and try i dunno a dtilt edgeguard -> dair or something.

People miss the point, pichu is a beautiful character. At first they see - oh look, he has 3 combos.
Nair -> Smash/utilt at low %'s
Uair -> uair -> nair
Uthrow -> something

Not very appealing. What they FAIL to understand, are 3 important points:

a) Your midgames have to be leet to intercept an opponent, what with the worst range in the game.
b) Your techskill has to be on point because after all that work, a simple uair -> uair -> dair combo just doesnt cut the meat.
c) Pichu is (in my opinion, an opinion in this case CANNOT be changed by anybody) the most heavily dependant character on platforms, in a comboing sense, in the game. The platform stuff has to be wierd, but its all there and it should be integrated on a permanent and effortless level. They are also mostly legit combos - anybody who says pichu cannot pull an 80% combo outta his *** has never played as the beast properly. DL is his best stage, no question, followed by BF, or maybe PS if you get god transformations but only for comboing, pichu dies so easily here.

One more thing
Pichu must SDI and ASDI against the trajectory of the attack pretty much the whole time, up DI/up+in DI will get him killed quicker than normal. Its a bum, and be prepared to die from silly attacks like Marios uair at 90% with poor DI at the top of the stage until your used to it. Pichu requires work like all chars, you just cant copy other peoples vids cos there are no super pro pichus :(

UpB (cancel) -> DownB
Unpunishable? Spammable? Discuss the various uses of this wall of pain when Pichu is caught near the edge.

I think this guy may have been onto something. It would take awesome spacing on stages with platforms, but maybe for FD - not really a wall of pain, just an unpassable wall. Put you opponent on the backfoot - you could even just camp afterwards and see what your opponent does each time. Start reading the shiz outta him. Do it 3 times in a row to mess with his head, and get 3 separate pieces of data on his approach.

I mean running Down-B, btw.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey vs fox/falco you can get some crazy combos off no joke like 6 upairs to up-smash dair i've done something like that before. Really I like pichu because I guess I like to mess with people. I don't know about how useful platforms are for combos other than off the top of my head up-throw sheik onto a platform jump up and follow her tech and down-throw tech chase a little(she would di off).

Thunder camping has flaws like projectiles can go though it other than needles and bombs and it slows arrows. If falcon predicted you going to jump he could race under the thunder or jolt so this would have to be used on someone without a projectile that can't beat this or is slow like bowser,s. They would also not be able to easily outrun pichu so maybe marth/roy/zedla/bowser/DK/ness/yoshi/puff/kirby/(maybe sheik but highly unlikely still)/luigi. So this would be most useable on puff but also what's cool is pichu's thunder can rack up a fair amount of damage(again It wouldn't be easy to get people to run into this)

Perfect up-B shouldn't be spammed it should be like a random wtf card(how I use it) I sometimes don't use it once sometimes 5 times in a match it all depends.

Also I think PS would be the best place to spam this if it did work that or rainbow ride.

I will try this today if I can talk my brother into not playing as fox and play puff.

Oh just to throw out there pichu can get a 0-death combo It's just vs rare and hard and normally leads to edge guard

j3ly

Smash Champion
0-deaths are so specific in smash - even without enemy DI. At the end of the day 30% of comboing comes down to momentum, which u cant really measure, is stupidly difficult to see and react too (best seen with fox running [at full momentum] shining -> JC usmash, or falcon running knee -> grab [hit with furthest part of hitbox possible without sending them other way])

lol do you count an edgeguarding kill as a 0-death?
does reading their tech count towards the 'combo'

pointless questions, either way i doubt if pichu could get a true 0-death on anybody apart from fox/falco/falcon, maybe yoshi or ganon. Im fairly sure i did it on that guy in my combo video a couple of times but he was garbage..

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
You should prove yourself wrong about pichu getting 0 death combos on non FFers. I don't understand why people always want to be right. I don't know whenever I see a falcon combo video with tech chaseing and stuff I think of pichu's up-air acting like falcon's but it hits them straight up and can set-up things vs FFers. I think of his nair, B, jab-reset,up-B chasing, and etc. Why couldn't pichu do that in some cases not as much but still.

I count some tech chaseing to be a combo like you get kneed miss tech falcon upairs you I count that if they are sheik and down-throw jab reset and tech chase till they can up-smash it's kindof a combo but more of a chain throw but yeah your right it's pointless.

Maybe pichu could go into a bigger combo game when we see nair nair why not nair to upair to dair? Maybe nair to dair I want to find out more about pichu's dair it's "really" the 2nd hit is annoying sometimes I wish there was a really good way to avoid it 100% because it rarly combos and only with a jab vs roy or kirby.

Pity you always have the 2nd hit till like way after the 1st hit when its auto cancelable. But yeah i'm just letting ideas I think about flow. Also I have a Q I don't know if you do and or not but I heard for online shooter games like on x-box369 most english are S*** talkers I played a Canadian today and told him people like him make me wish the germans won in WWII.

j3ly

Smash Champion
most english are S*** talkers I played a Canadian today and told him people like him make me wish the germans won in WWII.
ugh!!
your lucky i dont take offence easily!! that was a ridiculous statement, i just lost a whole lot of respect for you =/
dont expect another post from me in these boards any time soon

but i guess your right.. fair play people see a dthrow -> techchased dair from falcon and its a combo, same with pichu now i think of it.

imo dair is better than the strong hitbox on nair. It does more damage im sure, sends at roughly the same angle (its gonna be DI's upwards by the opponent anyway if hes worth playing) just with more knockback. Shame about the 2% emo damage but thats just not a big issue. I stay away from fair, its not really worth it unless you use it to continue a combo. I like to utilt -> fair (fast fall asap but time the attack right) -> hopefully they land into an attack, u smash or something. sometimes i uair and instead of another uair, do a fair and continue the combo from there. Sometimes all the hits hit the opponent and they get dragged down with pichu. who is maybe autocanceled and ready

but yeah, as i said um, go to hell

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I'm sorry I love racist jokes I only wish there were some whites jokes i've heard the most offensive black jokes from black people I'm sorry I won't tell any or whatever. I'll edit it out if you wish.

Dair I was thinking how it hits twice maybe running dair on missed tech they get hit twice and slowly stand up after takeing 14% I think fair would be good also. But what sucks about dair is at low percents is that there is more stun from the 2nd hit than the first and it kindof sucks for hitstun I tried a lot of things to see if I could get it to combo into anything but nothing seemed to work maybe if your edge guarding someone and you dair then use your 2nd jump and dair them again with them diing into it otherwise It would be very hard to use.

If someone is down-thrown and are by the edge I think we could tilt because they will try to jump up and lose their 2nd jump by the tilt so maybe that could help for edge guard.

but yeah sorry i'm a douche like that I just like most F***ed up jokes unless it's about what people believe that's sickening to make fun of.

You know. It's really weird. I played as pichu then as marth I play as pichu everyday and invent new tactics look harder and everything even live longer because of my di than I do as marth but my marth didn't lose a stock my pichu was on it's last. I don't play as marth and my marth is at a much higher level than my pichu. I understand that pichu lacks having any good match-ups, is combo bait, is gayed by everyone in the game, people tell me all the time I picked the worse in the game, grab after grab and I keep going. If I only played as marth every now and then I would be able to beat me giving my all when I play all the time.

Why do I try I won't stop but I don't now why. I mean is it because I want to stick out and be seen like look look look at me, am I just ******** and like weak things, do I want to be the best pichu ever because compared to other people it would be easier, do I want to prove something, do the impossible, to mess with minds, because i'm emo(not really), am I want making up a reason for why i'm losing,because I like pokemon, maybe because I am so deeply programmed I can't stop i'm machine like, so I can only use my mind as a weapon, the untapped things that pichu holds, or it is because that's who I am I am just a guy who just wants to make things better and inspire people like how I have.

I think I play because I have an uncrushable sprit if I was weak I would have stopped a long time ago really I have found more flaws about pichu than people tell me. I know how pichu can't have a good match-up how you can't relax and of course when they pick sheik it's like autolose. Really no one else could do it to take the truth so well I as I did. I don't know if other people can take all the depressing things at once and still be happy, but I can. But maybe because no one else could. Don't knows.

AGAIN sorrrryyyyy jelly.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
f-throw isn't really legit but on puff f-throw to nair works well. Um if it works on a level 9 cpu it should be able to work on someone else the bots stop the chain throw super early. But I think it work on marth at least once.

I've never beaten a decent marth but mixing up your recovery is important you can live so much longer with good di and recovery that they can't follow. Also movement is key as always. Um projetiles are good. Really your most likely going to have to figure out some way to trick them into being where you want them I have a few tricks but yeah they don't win the match or anything.

Up-throw depends.
FFer- chain throw or up-smash for kill
Floaty- some you can upair to dair some you can only up-throw dair if your quick. puff I would just f-throw nair
I know for some people (at least sheik and the FFers I haven't tested on anyone else) that if your below a platform you can up-throw and they will have to tech it so you can tech chase them

use the stick to jump(Don't use X/Y to jump here because it would be way to hard) and the 1st frame your off the ground press B and go left or right. I think there is only but what a 2-3 frame window for doing it perfect with min. lag. Also don't spam it because if you do it will become predictable and lead to your death.

Also on some people you can down-throw tech chase if you can't up-throw chain throw and you want to figure out their teching patterns.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I've been messing around with edge jumping like i'm hanging on the edge and I wall jump(I can't scarjump i'm a noob that has to use my 2nd jump) and today I hit my brother in the face with a rising bair from on the edge needless to say he was surprised a little bit but yeah pichu has a fair amount of edge options for as bad of range as he has.

like wall jump up-B on
up-B on(maybe go above and around them)
fall down regrab
wall bair
on battlefield you can upair them from under their feet.
fair/nair on
maybe side-B
Also he could stall LOL

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
pichu doing the scarjump with nair or dair is so much fun
Practice it ICG you can also do scarjump and waveland the first tier platform on Yoshis, and get creative from there
pichu is fun

EDIT I meant to tell you icg that I went pichu in a lowtier crew battle today and took 7 stocks. Beat a ylink and a Link. I used the warp to techchase.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
to legit way to legit. I'm most boring and uncreative when recovering and on the edge heck I am way to predictable when on the edge I never do half of the things I could do. Of course it's very useful I simply focus mostly on mindgames and movement. Also I came so close to beating a marth today if only I played like 3 matches of so I would have won, but of course my fox was 3 stocks and nearly made a comeback by 2 stocking him friendlies of course and not my brother.

Hey irish Mafia your a winner. I hope at the tournament I'm going to tomorrow we could do something low tier related.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
Imma winner :D

recovering with pichu for me is mostly just going to platforms. If you can reach the top one, chances are they aren't punishing.
obv the ledge is good too but yeah
Good luck at your thing tomorrow ICG I'm going to a tourney tomorrow and I may need to bring out the secret small yellow rat

D

Deleted member

I know this sounds stupid, which it is because i suck, but dtilt is really underrated imo. It's really good for spacing and making it even harder for your opponent to hit you while hitting them. But then again you shouldn't be in a position where you need to use dtilt in the first place. What do you peoples think of this?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I've spaced f-tilt for LOLs(it worked if they don't expect it lol) I only use d-tilt for edge guard of falcon. I think maybe d-tilt could be followed up with Perfect up-B Maybe tech chase or something.

I don't know i'm so used to only useing up-smash and air attacks I rarly use d-tilt I guess I may try it a little more but right now i'm testing out a new idea I have for movement.

Edit I started scar jumping with pichu so far after about 20 minutes of doing it I can do 5 airs before I need to recover but I cabn't think of why it's useful for pichu unless you juggle someone with it like fox that would be ****

zack152

Smash Journeyman
Havent posted here in a while =S

I know one thing I liked to do against certain characters was just nair>nair>nair combo. It actually works pretty good on a lot of people. Against characters like the space animals who shield pressure a lot I know if you time it right you can uair out of sheild and catch them in it, which you can either grab, usmash, or fsmash from.

I think my hardest match ups playing pichu were peach and sheik. Sheik for the obvious reasons of chaingrabbing 0-death basically most of the time, but if you can avoid that and out maneuver your opponent your good to go. And peach.... I hate peach. She out prioritizes like everything pichu has. The only thing I really could do against her, which didnt always work, was try to predict when she was going to try and float cancel something, then fh and dair where i thought she was going to be. Not incredibly effective I know, but there wasnt a lot I could do.

In order to play Pichu and get anywhere your gonna have to know a lot of tricks/mind games to get the edge over your opponent, considering all of pichus matchups are like 70/30 if not worse. One thing I suggest doing is going to all the popular stages, including the neutral and counterpicks, and find out where you can hit the edges from using pichus upb and where you can get to from the ledges. I used to practice this a lot to have quick edge hogs, quick get aways, and to try and launch a counter attack on unsuspecting foes. People dont really know how to handle pichu that well, but they know how to combo him because of his weight, so this comes in handy.

Using his upb to tech chase is really good, and of course every pichu PROBABLY knows that you can upB through platforms on an angle to the ground with no ending lag, which is very useful when your on a platform and your getting approached, it allows you to get behind your opponent quick and try to catch them off guard from however they were trying to approach you. Dont spam this though, good players catch on quick and when they see it happening over and over they tend to just approach you so you do your upb, then punish because they expected it. Another thing is learning where you can hit the ledge from while on platforms with your upb. On most platforms you can go straight sideways then diagonal towards the stage and sweetspot the ledge easy, you just have to know where on the platforms to be standing.

I dont really have much more advice. Playing campy is probably really important in pichus game sadly. You just have to know when to make a move and when your beat, which chances are will be most of the time.

Something I had thought about but never got the chance to try is when your approaching someone who tends to just dash dance until you make a mistake a lot, aka falcons in particular, I always wanted to try approaching them quickly, then full hopping away slightly to try and bait them into approaching, then using upb to land on the ground behind them without the lag. Might be something to look into =s

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think peach is worse than marth for me :( well at least I have had more problems with peach than marth. I 2 stocked(still lost) some marth called SALT he was really good and told me i'm pretty good I just need to work on spaceing(movement) and I think I need to combo better.

I can't combo as pichu most of the time but I can noramlly get some crazy combos on space animals wtf thunder to air attack is legit. But why does everyone taunt me with the fact that nair nair is a combo i've only done it in training mode :(

I wish I could solidly camp as pichu like with projectiles sometimes one thing i like about pichu dittos is that you legitly outrange your foe lol it's true I spammed B and wd back f-fmash for a long time.

also perfect up-B is 100% legit and usefull I used it vs m2k's gannon after he dared me to nair him so I up-B to up-smash surprised the carp out of him. I hate how he quit the match because he was afraid of losing a stock to a pichu player. Also I'm no longer afraid of gannon vs pichu I also thought it was the 2nd worse match-up 3 hits your death I lived from a bair(middle of stage when I was airbore) at 100% and only needed an airdogde to recover.

zack152

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I dont really mind ganon at all actually. I have fun playing him. All Ganon HAS to do is sit and space bair/fair to beat you, so it really pushes your spacing to the test. I think its a lot of fun. Marth isnt bad either, if you try to stay either real close so you can exchange hits, or really far away from him and camp him out, it seems to go decently, just really watch out for that tipper because it will kill you at like 50% on small stages.

Peach IMO is Pichus 2nd worst matchup, right after fox. uthrow>uair is all it takes lol and you cant really camp him out with b either =s.

ICG to work on combos just take like a lv4 computer to FD with unlimited time and work on what percents you can chaingrab from and too, and wht you can combo out of the grabs. Im pretty sure marth is one of those characters you can nair>nair>nair combo at low % and another combo that works on almost all mid weight characters is fair>uair rinse and repeat. You can do it as long as your uair isnt pushing them too far away, so lower percents works best.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
sheik is his worse.

I like to run away and taunt that's my gameplan vs gannon At least 3 taunts is heathy.

But yeah if I could go I don't know how much it costs(plus I don't think I could pre-reg) and if my dad lets me highly unlikely. For pichu doubles any plans? I know b is really good for doubles when I teamed up with a marth he would full hop fair and I would jolt to stop them from doing anything and it seemed to ****. if we ever get to grab other pichu F-smashes.

if one of us lands a thunder other one protect the other or dair the one who got thundered. one full hops jolt other runs with it

zack152

Smash Journeyman
Nah, its like puffs rest, just run up and jab them out of the animation lol.

I dont think sheik is all that bad really, the cging does get annoying but overall I dont really mind the rest of the matchup at all. I dont htink Ive ever really taunted in a tourney set with pichu to be honest unless Im getting camped or something lol

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
well at least taunt camp gannons. She can't get a decent kill on pichu, edge guard isn't hard, and she has some bad moves what is super good?

I mean she can easily shut down many of your jolts, f-tilt beats everything and can well F*** you know what it does and her grab that is near auto death(even if she chain throws you till 70% and f-tilts to fair you can still live with good di) All I know is they don't like approaching, like I can just stand there and they won't do anything but charge needles and then just throw them and she won't approach much from what i've seen.

Top Bottom