• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tales of Symphonia (Character discussion) thread

Cless

Smash Champion
*Originally put together by Kujirudo and myself*

A -> A vertical slash with right sword
A, A -> 2 vertical slashes with 1th the right, then the left sword
A, A, A -> Lloyd spins around and hits everyone that is left or right from him

Ftilt -> A orizontal slash with the right sword
Utilt -> Lloyd slashes both sword upwards
Dtilt -> Lloyd slashes the left sword downwards.
Dash -> Crossward slash (Lloyd holds the sword in a cross while he dashes, so pressing would lead into a crossward slash)

B -> Double Demon Fang: The 2th shockwave has a longer range then the 1th one. Getting hit by the slashes will also cause damage.
Forward B -> Sword Rain: Lloyd will make multiple stabs with both swords. The longer you charge this attack, the more stabs he will make.
Down B -> Demonic Circle: Lloyd will make a small downward slash, jump up a little (as high as a Mario short hop) and slam hard on the ground wich will create a shockwave in a small circle. This attack will give much knockback. Getting hit by the downward slash will also knock you back, but not as much as the circle shockwave.
Up B -> Tempest (Not as huge as it looks in ToS, since it would be hard to stop Lloyd during this anyways)

Nair -> Holds swords out and spins horizontally.
Fair -> Lloyd slams his right sword down, while he slashes his left one up.
Uair -> Makes a backward salto, swinging both swords upwards.
Dair -> Lloyd will soar down diagonal to the side he faces while he holds his swords in front of this head. Sort of like Rising Falcon, and he would have the lag like Link's dair due to the swords being stuck to the ground.

Grab -> Lloyd puts his right sword back and grabs the opponent by his right shoulder.
Grab attack -> Lloyd hits the opponent with the hilt of his left sword.
Forward throw: Beast
Back throw: just a normal toss followed by a quick slash *need a good move for this*
Down throw: Heavy Tiger Blade (from different angle)
Up throw: Light Spear (wouldn't hurt to throw in a move his partners used, right?)

His super would have to be Falcon's Crest... So yeah. Hope you like.
For the dash animation, Lloyd doesn't run with this swords crossed. He has one in front of him and the other held out to the side. The attack is fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnaul4HkMZU

I like the charge Demon Fang better, but Double Demon Fang is good too.

I can't see charging Sword Rain unless you can hold it like all the other charge moves, but that doesn't make much sense. It would take too long unless it was like a second for a full charge.

If I remember correctly, Demonic Circle didn't send opponents flying. If you want a move that sends people flying and hits on both sides, I think Hunting Beast is much better because the the shockwave after Lloyd slams into the ground hits on all sides. Now that I think about it, the Demonic Circle you described sounds a lot more like Hunting Beast.

I can't see heavy Tiger Blade for a down throw. Almost, if not every, down throw slams the opponent into the ground. Heavy Tiger Blade just knocks the opponent down at the end of the move. Lloyd really doesn't have any good down throw-ish moves as I recall. The last animation of Hunting Beast might be good.

justice

Smash Ace
Okay we don't want a flame war over who is right. I would hate it if a random tales of character made it that had a low popularity or was a npc(umm towns people). But I may also like it. I am not sure yet.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
For the dash animation, Lloyd doesn't run with this swords crossed. He has one in front of him and the other held out to the side. The attack is fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnaul4HkMZU

I like the charge Demon Fang better, but Double Demon Fang is good too.

I can't see charging Sword Rain unless you can hold it like all the other charge moves, but that doesn't make much sense. It would take too long unless it was like a second for a full charge.

If I remember correctly, Demonic Circle didn't send opponents flying. If you want a move that sends people flying and hits on both sides, I think Hunting Beast is much better because the the shockwave after Lloyd slams into the ground hits on all sides. Now that I think about it, the Demonic Circle you described sounds a lot more like Hunting Beast.

I can't see heavy Tiger Blade for a down throw. Almost, if not every, down throw slams the opponent into the ground. Heavy Tiger Blade just knocks the opponent down at the end of the move. Lloyd really doesn't have any good down throw-ish moves as I recall. The last animation of Hunting Beast might be good.
Everything you mentioned except down throw wasn't my idea. :urg:

I know in the game, heavy tiger blade makes them go straight to the ground, but I was planning them to alter it so that they pop up after hitting the floor instead. I couldn't think of anything better. I'd also prefer not having any of Lloyd's moves repeat themselves, like Beast and Hunting Beast, but whatever works...

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, I know what you mean. justice, I'm not trying to start arguements. It's just for the sake of discussion.

Assuming Hunting Beast was the down throw, Sword Rain could be down b, and a Tiger Blade move could be over b. I think Fierce Demon fang should be his side smash now though, not a charge b. His down smash could be Demonic Circle. Can't think of a good back throw or up smash though.

No matter what you have, there's going to be some repetition of moves. I think Lloyd only has six families of moves (Demon Fang, Sonic Thrust, Sword Rain, Tiger Blade, Tempest, and Beast), an original or two like Rising Falcon,a nd his ougis, which I'd rather leave out since he has so many moves.

Cless

Smash Champion
If you understand any Japanese watch these.

Tales of Fandom Gaiden (Translation: http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46505&highlight=tales+fandom+gaiden)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAv4Fwd7vHc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_uNZItJclY

Tales of Phantasia Apple Gummy: Viva Tales of ~ The Legend Began Here ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHBho1ODwOE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxth0w8yb-s

Tales of Destiny Orange Gummy: Viva Tales of ~ Tale of Love and Destiny ~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSVRBUFApag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjIBUDMXb5g

Even if you don't understand Japanese, watch them anyway. You'll get the gist of them, and they're funny. Actually, they'll probably be funnier if you've played the respective games first because you'll know all the characters then, but still funny.

Cless

Smash Champion
No, not really. I liked all the throws, except down, and all the normal moves. The b set needed al little work imo, that's all. I think Demonic Circle should be a down smash because I think it has less start up time than Hunting Beast, and Demonic Circle initially hits on both sides, while Hunting Beast hits forward first. For the back throw, maybe a backwards Sonic Thrust, or maybe make Beast the back throw, since it's usually stronger, and make the forward throw Sonic Thrust. Up smash, up smash... Still can't think of a good one.

I think a fusion of FireBomb's and justice's movesets work best. So the a set and throws from FireBomb's and the b set from justice's

FireBomb's a, tilt, and air sets

b: Demon Fang, chargable into Demonic Chaos with Double Demon Fang as an intermidiate charge
side-b: Tiger Blade
up-b: Tempest
down-b: Sword Rain, maybe chargable

forward throw: Sonic Thrust
back throw: Beast
up throw: Light Spear or Victory Light Spear (Alt maybe Psi Tempest, I think that goes relatively up; I can't really think of any launching moves that Lloyd has though)
down throw: Hunting Beast

side smash: Fierce Demon Fang
up smash: ???
down smash: Demonic Circle

How's that? Up attacks present a real problem for Lloyd as he has no real launching moves as I recall. Sword Rain Alpha does at the end, but it's not a good up smash or up throw. Since he's borrowing moves, maybe Victory Light Spear could be his up smash and Rending Thrust from Luke could be his up throw.

Hmm, interestingly enough, assuming Lloyd can't charge into Demonic Chaos, he can have all of those Demon Fang moves at once in Symphonia.

justice

Smash Ace
Don't worry we all will see once the game is out. OMG, I just watched all of the videos Jade owned him using 3d running. Too funny please tell me where you got it from and where is it translated you are my tales of hero!

poorpint

Smash Rookie
I love it more.
No one knows how big an impact Tales of Symphonia made in my life. Now I need to play every Tales game ever made...
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I feel the exact same way. First it was Symphonia then Phantasia (snes version) and........ due to funding the list had to stop there.:( :( But Tales of Symphonia was THE third-party game to own for the GCN.(aside from Soul Caliber 2);)

Cless

Smash Champion
^Too true, but I think it hit me a little harder than most.

Don't worry we all will see once the game is out. OMG, I just watched all of the videos Jade owned him using 3d running. Too funny please tell me where you got it from and where is it translated you are my tales of hero!
That particular one has not been translated, neither has Orange Gummy. The only one that I know of that has been translated is the Tales of Fandom Gaiden, for which I put the link. Apparently, this guy, Jusuken, is subbing all of them, but I'm not really sure and he only said that on a Youtube comment, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

A guy named Shinryu put up all three videos on Youtube and his website dot-3.com. He also posts a lot of his gameplay videos on Youtube. One of the more notable ones is his victory over Abyssion using a lv 6 Colette. Another notable Tales of player is Nore139.

Soldier6

Smash Apprentice
california university (washington county)
ok, yes this is a cool idea, but does anyone else think that we're looking into a bit too much sword play, (not mentioning metaknight/marth/roy). I mean with a good deal of gossip about chrono characters, would it really be THAT great of an idea to have (marth and roy of course) chrono's plus ToS characters all in one? If so, I'd personally rather see only one chrono char and maybe 2/3 ToS or 2 and 2 or something small so it isn't too over whelming.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
It's not our fault that the cool/popular characters happen to have a sword. As long as it isn't a 50/50 split, I see no problems with the swordusers.

Cless

Smash Champion
Yeah, and besides, just because a person has a sword doesn't make them instantly good. Look how far down the tier list Roy and the two Links are. Not saying that there aren't good Roys and Links, but it takes that much more work to get good with them.

justice

Smash Ace
ok, yes this is a cool idea, but does anyone else think that we're looking into a bit too much sword play, (not mentioning metaknight/marth/roy). I mean with a good deal of gossip about chrono characters, would it really be THAT great of an idea to have (marth and roy of course) chrono's plus ToS characters all in one? If so, I'd personally rather see only one chrono char and maybe 2/3 ToS or 2 and 2 or something small so it isn't too over whelming.
Hey would you like a lot of cheap gun characters.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I love ToS! I think it is the best real-time RPG around!

But I wouldn't want smash to be flooded with 3rd party characters, but it would be cool if it could be done.:(

I think Kratos, Lloyd, Regal and Presea would get in because they are all different. Kratos uses magic AND he is an 'angel' so he would have moves like judgement, thunderblade and light spear cannon at his disposable as opposed to being a marth/roy clone.

justice

Smash Ace
I love ToS! I think it is the best real-time RPG around!

But I wouldn't want smash to be flooded with 3rd party characters, but it would be cool if it could be done.:(

I think Kratos, Lloyd, Regal and Presea would get in because they are all different. Kratos uses magic AND he is an 'angel' so he would have moves like judgement, thunderblade and light spear cannon at his disposable as opposed to being a marth/roy clone.
Thank you!!! YOu get plus rep I am glad to see fans how are happy about the game.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
No problem, I would be playing ToS now if my GC wasn't messed up. I want to get all of the things in the grade store lol.

justice

Smash Ace
Sorry about the double post. The computer did something weird on me. Well I hope we can recruit more members or see some tales of characters in Brawls. Even if more people don't join.

I love lamp

Smash Apprentice
I always liked, the tales games, but this one was just bleh. I guess they would make a godo addition.

Cless

Smash Champion
The only other people that could be in it are people from Tales of Phantasia.

Red, there's no way that four people from any Tales game will be in Smash. We will be extremely lucky to get one, and I rather it not be Kratos. One, Zelos is funnier; two, I'd rather have a Tales hero be in it.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Having Zelos would be like giving the zany personlity of Luigi a sword and the ability to speak full sentences (to an extent...). Awesome.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Namco would have to overlook a number of characters and personalities before looking at anyone from Tales... it's just not as well known here in America.

justice

Smash Ace
I got a feeling that Klonoa and Tales of are the best to be represented in Brawls. But really Soul Calibur characters!!! So I think that Klonoa and Tales of Symphonia are the best choice. But Klonoa might out beat the others.

Cless

Smash Champion
Namco would have to overlook a number of characters and personalities before looking at anyone from Tales... it's just not as well known here in America.
Well we can have people from: Klonoa, Soul Calibur, Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Phantasia, and Xenosaga I guess. Might be missing one or two.

Out of those, the best chances lie in Klonoa and the two Tales of games, like justice said. I don't know how the Klonoa GBA games did, but very few people in America know about Klonoa, and if they do, it's most likely going to be because of Symphonia. I don't know how big of a following Klonoa has in Japan, it can't be that big because a game hasn't been made since Klonoa Heroes in 2002. His latest appearance was in Namco X Capcom, which didn't sell well.

Symphonia did well here, but on the GCN in Japan, it sold rather poorly which is why they ported it to the PS2. Phantasia sold poorly here for the GBA, but I don't know about the sales for the other systems. Truth be told though, the Tales of series is more closely associated with the Playstation.

So, take it for what it's worth.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I haven't played a Klonoa game before... maybe I should try the one that came out for the GBA last year.

Anyone think that Pac-Man would stick out anywhere...? I keep being reminded by his cameos in the Tales game that he is Namco's mascot, and has been around since those good 'ol days.

Cless

Smash Champion
Pac-Man would probably be fun to play as. See, I told you I forgot a couple. The only thing though is that a move set for him might be difficult since he can only bounce, roll, and eat things, but I'm sure they'd manage.

justice

Smash Ace
Klonoa for the PS2 was a great game even though I didn't play the GBA ones. I loved it and keep it in my collection for PS2. I just need to get my Marvel vs capcom 2 back.

Cless

Smash Champion
I still have MvC2. I wanna get Klonoa: Door to Phantomile for the PSX, but first Tales of Destiny remake and Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology.

justice

Smash Ace
I still have MvC2. I wanna get Klonoa: Door to Phantomile for the PSX, but first Tales of Destiny remake and Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology.
Do you have the one for PS2 as well and is the one for PSX good. I am now thinking about trying to collect all of the tales of series that is english. Did you hear Tales of Phantasia is coming in 2007 to america. That was suprising.

Cless

Smash Champion
If you mean the OVA, then yes, I heard about that a while ago. If you meant the PSP game, then that's news to me.

Yes, I do have the PS2 one, and I'd have to assume that Door to Phantomile is good since Namco made Lunatea's Veil after it.

Good luck on your Tales hunt!

justice

Smash Ace
Yeah, now I need the English Symphonia and Phantasia if they both come out or just Phantasia if Symphonia doesn't make it......... I hope it does. Well I hope both animes are good :)

Top Bottom