• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taking Jabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I think Roy's jab is so underrated in the neutral. When I see other Roys, I don't see a lot of jabs being used and it really confuses me.

If you connect on the tip of a jab it can, almost guarantee, if your timing is great, a follow up into Down Tilt or Nair. And DON'T get me started on If you connect jab at the hilt. The options are limitless, but the best option to follow up with when connecting on the hilt with jab is grab. Jab to grab works at any percentage when it connects close to the hilt and after a grab you know how deadly Roy is.

Just wanted to let those who didn't know this trick to be informed and If you have any other jab or even tilt follow ups you know of please comment. We need to unlock the full potential of our boy Roy. Thanks!

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I prefer using Jab at around the 70% area. Allows for Jab > F-air followups which are very nice for knocking the opponent off the stage and further pushing the advantage.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think Roy's jab is so underrated in the neutral. When I see other Roys, I don't see a lot of jabs being used and it really confuses me.

If you connect on the tip of a jab it can, almost guarantee, if your timing is great, a follow up into Down Tilt or Nair. And DON'T get me started on If you connect jab at the hilt. The options are limitless, but the best option to follow up with when connecting on the hilt with jab is grab. Jab to grab works at any percentage when it connects close to the hilt and after a grab you know how deadly Roy is.

Just wanted to let those who didn't know this trick to be informed and If you have any other jab or even tilt follow ups you know of please comment. We need to unlock the full potential of our boy Roy. Thanks!
When it comes to poking it's generally easier to just use dtilts or sourspot nairs first instead of trying to link them from jabs.
It's useful as a combo starter if you get the opportunity to use it (like a really quick option to punish you can't risk getting stuffed by an attack), but it's range limits its use elsewhere.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to poking it's generally easier to just use dtilts or sourspot nairs first instead of trying to link them from jabs.
It's useful as a combo starter if you get the opportunity to use it (like a really quick option to punish you can't risk getting stuffed by an attack), but it's range limits its use elsewhere.
As a poke option Yes Dtilt is extremely better, but jab is a Nice quick spacing tool when u know that the opponent is pretty close and can set up into more things. Just saying that If u know the opponent is a jab distance away use jab, but I see exactly what you're saying.

ViviLion

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3224-2888
i spam jabs like no tomorrow

shielded? i'll jab 12 more times, you WILL drop shield at the wrong moment
dash attack at me? take 3 jabs and a downthrow into jab into downthrow into jab into downthrow into upB
spamming fireballs? let me just perfect JAB those
dash grab? get jabbed into grabbed, pummel-released and jab, repeat
walk up, jab, walk up, jab, walk up, jab, walk up, jab, til you reach the end of the stage, and then just keep jabbing until they're pushed off

seriously, roys jab is just so stupid useful, even when better option exist, it's the best plan B, you can jab into a short charged flare blade and immediately jab again

it's my panic mode when i know i'm about to be punished for something if i don't react quickly enough, cause it stops grabs, other attacks, dash attacks, dash grabs, it pushes people away when they shield but they'll usually stay far enough in range that the tip will hit them if you're spamming it and they drop the shield at the wrong moment

jab is far too reliable in my opinion, you can use it at the most random of times or just as a panic reaction and completely turn the tide of the match in your favor

the only time i think jab is a bad option, is to punish super high cooldown moves, incredibly telegraphed moves, or broken shields

and sometimes i use it to punish anyways because i love it so much

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
i spam jabs like no tomorrow

shielded? i'll jab 12 more times, you WILL drop shield at the wrong moment
dash attack at me? take 3 jabs and a downthrow into jab into downthrow into jab into downthrow into upB
spamming fireballs? let me just perfect JAB those
dash grab? get jabbed into grabbed, pummel-released and jab, repeat
walk up, jab, walk up, jab, walk up, jab, walk up, jab, til you reach the end of the stage, and then just keep jabbing until they're pushed off

seriously, roys jab is just so stupid useful, even when better option exist, it's the best plan B, you can jab into a short charged flare blade and immediately jab again

it's my panic mode when i know i'm about to be punished for something if i don't react quickly enough, cause it stops grabs, other attacks, dash attacks, dash grabs, it pushes people away when they shield but they'll usually stay far enough in range that the tip will hit them if you're spamming it and they drop the shield at the wrong moment

jab is far too reliable in my opinion, you can use it at the most random of times or just as a panic reaction and completely turn the tide of the match in your favor

the only time i think jab is a bad option, is to punish super high cooldown moves, incredibly telegraphed moves, or broken shields

and sometimes i use it to punish anyways because i love it so much
Yes! The love for jabs is real!!

FullOfGore

Smash Rookie
NNID
Scardonian
Is there an easy way to land a jab? It's a really neat move for set ups but I have difficulty landing it.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Is there an easy way to land a jab? It's a really neat move for set ups but I have difficulty landing it.
There honestly isn't an easy way to get a Jab unless you Downthrow --> Uptilt--> Jab or DownThrow --> Jab --> Ftilt
Other than that you will have to read a situation and use it. If an opponent is a jab length away from you or even somewhat really close behind you can connect a jab.

FullOfGore

Smash Rookie
NNID
Scardonian
down throw into whatever is what i mostly do anyway, picked that up on first day i got him in sm4sh, still, thanks for the response ^^

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
Agree with the "panic button" usage. Anytime I know I screwed up and am about to get punished int he neutral I start throwing jabs out repeatedly. It comes out amazingly fast and can get you out of a lot of tough spots.

Tael_LInk

Smash Rookie
Jab is faster than people think (like people get surprised and the salt is so real, including me). I don't use it in neutral due to it having a disappointing range for a swordfighter, but it's great for setups. It also stops dashgrabs very well. It's also somewhat safe on shield/

GenG

Smash Lord
Also, since jabs start behind Roy they can punish short or close rolls towards you at their ending vulnerability frames.

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
Somewhat off-topic, but maybe someone could shed some light. I think one of the moves that I don't use nearly enough if is dtilt. People say it's good for pokes...but I don't honestly know the appropriate time to be using pokes? Is it just to control spacing? I'm beginning to think that this is a big developmental opportunity for me - I tend to just rush down like crazy (and end up getting punished like crazy)

GenG

Smash Lord
I use sourspotted dtilts to shieldpoke from a safe distance until I get a reaction from them. Dtilt is one of the safest moves in the entire game so if they roll, drop shield, jump, etc. you have plenty of frames to react.

It's good to use it after a sourspotted nair on shields, so that you can trap them and force them into taking a rash decision that you can capitalize on. You can also use it after a foxtrot or a empty hop. Character with ground-based approaches and good dashes (which means poor air speed) like Fox or Falcon tend to fall for dtilt. If spaced correctly, you have enough time to react against anything.

I recommend you this short guide by Emblem Lord on how Roy can trap opponents, and dtilt is covered.

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
I'm working to incorporate way more my jab game, it takes you out of pressure or a quick move to get someone of with great follow-ups, even for ledge shield pressure is great, it comes out so fast most players can't even grab you, they must try to roll away or their shield starts to go down like crazy, just happend to me against a Ness and a Lucas on the ledge.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Hit the A button. You'll land it eventually. Jab is one of the your safest moves. Not to mention it conjures easy 0-40% chain grab cheese.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Just found a neat trick with jab. Jab to roll then jab again, it's like playing volleyball and at the 50% mark it works pretty well up until around 80%. Also jab to falling Nair can catch those who do not spam the A button after being hit. Jab is gorgeous!!!

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Jab-Jab true combos right? then could you do stuff like Jab-Jab-Up B or Jab-Jab-Nair? is this worth it or is it better to just capatilize off the first jab...

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Just found a neat trick with jab. Jab to roll then jab again, it's like playing volleyball and at the 50% mark it works pretty well up until around 80%. Also jab to falling Nair can catch those who do not spam the A button after being hit. Jab is gorgeous!!!
Wat

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Jab-Jab true combos right? then could you do stuff like Jab-Jab-Up B or Jab-Jab-Nair? is this worth it or is it better to just capatilize off the first jab...
Depending on weight or DI it's possible. You just have to watch where the character is, if they are still pretty close to the tilt after the first jab you can do it.

Sonicninja115

What are jabs follow-ups?
The one's I know are
Jab-Fair
Jab-Up B
Jab-Grab-Combo
Jab-Jab
Jab-dtilt
Jab-Side B
Do these work?
Jab-Nair
Jab-Ftilt
Jab-Uair
Jab-tipper fsmash(no point really)
Jab-RAR Bair
Jab-Dash attack

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
What are jabs follow-ups?
The one's I know are
Jab-Fair
Jab-Up B
Jab-Grab-Combo
Jab-Jab
Jab-dtilt
Jab-Side B
Do these work?
Jab-Nair
Jab-Ftilt
Jab-Uair
Jab-tipper fsmash(no point really)
Jab-RAR Bair
Jab-Dash attack
All of those are situational, but can work. I don't know about jab to up air or RAR Bair, but I wouldn't count them out.

Sonicninja115

All of those are situational, but can work. I don't know about jab to up air or RAR Bair, but I wouldn't count them out.
Do you mean all as in the entire post or all as in the ones that I was wondering about?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Jab -> UpB is rarely a combo. If the opponent is use to air dodging after your jabs, they'll easily punish it while you're in helpless.
Jab -> Grab does not always work. As their percents get higher, they're too high off of the ground for you to land the grab. It's great at low percentages, though. Most mid-percents, as well.
Jab -> Fair or Uair are beautiful and what I use move of the time. Not to mention if they air dodge the fair, you can jump or DED before you land (rather than suffering landing lag) and either continue the chase or cover their landing.
Jab -> DED is really good and is what I go for at most mid-percents. Especially when I'm just looking to get some damage.
Jab -> Tipper Fsmash/Ftilt are pointless and probably only even work at low percents anyways. Honestly, I don't think Jab can combo into Fsmash at all, but I could be wrong.
Jab -> Dash Attack rarely combos. It's a good mixup outside of that but definitely an inferior option.

Dthrow -> Jab -> DED is great at low percents for building up damage.

What I love about jab is that it functions as a jab and ftilt in coverage, and sets the opponent up like a Dthrow. It's beautiful, really.
While it's good for combos, it's also great for setting up traps, like a Down Throw. Roy's fantastic at covering landings and chasing an opponent that's already in trouble. When landing a jab, instead of going for the immediate follow up, I'll oftentimes look for an opportunity to punish their landing or SH to bait an air dodge. Kind of functions

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Jab -> UpB is rarely a combo. If the opponent is use to air dodging after your jabs, they'll easily punish it while you're in helpless.
Jab -> Grab does not always work. As their percents get higher, they're too high off of the ground for you to land the grab. It's great at low percentages, though. Most mid-percents, as well.
Jab -> Fair or Uair are beautiful and what I use move of the time. Not to mention if they air dodge the fair, you can jump or DED before you land (rather than suffering landing lag) and either continue the chase or cover their landing.
Jab -> DED is really good and is what I go for at most mid-percents. Especially when I'm just looking to get some damage.
Jab -> Tipper Fsmash/Ftilt are pointless and probably only even work at low percents anyways. Honestly, I don't think Jab can combo into Fsmash at all, but I could be wrong.
Jab -> Dash Attack rarely combos. It's a good mixup outside of that but definitely an inferior option.

Dthrow -> Jab -> DED is great at low percents for building up damage.

What I love about jab is that it functions as a jab and ftilt in coverage, and sets the opponent up like a Dthrow. It's beautiful, really.
While it's good for combos, it's also great for setting up traps, like a Down Throw. Roy's fantastic at covering landings and chasing an opponent that's already in trouble. When landing a jab, instead of going for the immediate follow up, I'll oftentimes look for an opportunity to punish their landing or SH to bait an air dodge. Kind of functions
Jab is love
Jab is life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom