• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TAKING GRENINJA ALL THE WAY

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
It seems like a lot of people are done with Greninja because of the latest update. I'm wondering how many of you plan to stick with Greninja THROUGH THICK AND THIN! RECENTLY, intending to wreck the town with my main man R.O.B, I came (kind of) close to winning my first Smash Bros Wii U tournament with Greninja. I hadn't really played much of Greninja before then, but I think I've started to really get what he/she's all about.

I used to think his/her specials were totally lame, but they're totally not. 0 charge Water Shurikens aren't totally game changing, but they're useful for baiting and adding percent to your oppnent in small increments. ALSO, fully charged shuriken can be very helpful for ledge-guarding.

Up B... what even needs to be said about Hydro Pump? It's a legendary gimp move, and an incredible recovery. It also greatly adds to Greninja's sneaky maneuverability.

SHADOW SNEAK! It's predictable, but it adds to Greninja's recovery options.

Substitute! I HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT SUBSTITUTE! I mean, I believe someone (MAYBE EVEN YOU!?) might find out some hidden rad use for it eventually, but for now, I just see it as a really bad counter...... which leads me back to

SHADOW SNEAK!
GRENINJA's TRUE COUNTER MOVE! YOU HEARD ME RIGHT FOLKS! SHADOW SNEAK IS A FAR BETTER COUNTER THAN SUBSTITUTE. I mean, I'm sure most of you have realized this already, but dang, this is what makes GreNINJA a true NINJA. Forget dodging or shielding, you can use this move to disappear out of harms way and instantly counter-attack with nearly smash-like knockback. I found this to be especially helpful when edge-guarding (though Greninja has some other edge-guarding moves that are totally better in most cases) and recovering, because you have no shadow in the air. If you can successfully read your opponent, or if they try to hit you with a totally telegraphed attack, shadow sneak will destroy them. Of course, unsuccessful use of Shadow Sneak will leave you open for a moment, so you need to be careful how you use it, but this move has a ton of utility. I'm barely even scratching the surface.

Quick disclaimer: This is not meant to be some kind of formal tutorial. Most of this stuff has already been pointed out before, and the sections for the moves that are not Shadow Sneak have a hardcore lack of detail. This is just me posting my opinion on Greninja now that I've played a tournament with him/her. I might write an actual full tutorial down the road though, after his/her meta has developed, and I've gotten more experience. BUT YEAH, I think Greninja has the potential to be a high tier character IF we give Greninja the chance Greninja deserves.

SO, BACK TO THE MAIN QUESTION OF THIS POST, WHO's WITH ME!? WHO'S GONNA TAKE GRENINJA ALL THE WAY!?

FEEL FREE TO POST YOUR OPINION OF GRENINJA AND HIS MOVES. THINK I'M WRONG ABOUT SOMETHING!? FEEL FREE TO POST! FIND A NEW UTILITY FOR ONE OF GRENINJA'S MOVES!? FEEL FREE TO POST IT HERE!

Stay ninja, everyone!

Edit:

(I AM STILL 100% SERIOUS I JUST FELT LIKE THIS VIDEO WAS TOO RELEVANT TO NOT INCLUDE AS PART OF THE OP)

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Same here I am going Link and Greninja because I find shulk to be op boring now...I want ninja buff and shulk nerf tbh.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Nice, dude! It was actually a Link player that knocked me out of the tournament I mentioned. Even though I didn't win, our matches were really close and exciting.

YO, IF YOU HAD TO PICK ONE, WOULD YOU GO LINK OR GRENINJA?

Last edited:

Roll-Spamming-Peasant

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MontyRattata
I don't think Greninja can ever match my performance with my main man Marth...But he has replaced JigglyPuff as my alt, because the disappointment of missing a Rest is greater than the satisfaction of landing one at this point. Especially when I miss at high percents...

But Hydro-gimping IS satisfying as F----! So Greninja it is!!

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
SAME. I've been with Greninja day 1 when I was excited as crap to play him and he has been my main this whole time.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Nice, dude! It was actually a Link player that knocked me out of the tournament I mentioned. Even though I didn't win, our matches were really close and exciting.

YO, IF YOU HAD TO PICK ONE, WOULD YOU GO LINK OR GRENINJA?
Honestly,Link because he has been my main since 64.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I'll stick with the `ninja!I love ninjas,and he's more ninja-like then Sheik will ever be.
At first,since I've fallen off of playing Smash 4,I didn't notice the nerfs much.Then,I started to kind of feel them.
Now,I think I'm used to them,and I still love him.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
Honestly,Link because he has been my main since 64.
I can respect that! It's always cool to see someone main one character across every game. Are you a big Zelda fan, or do you just love Link's design/playstyle/etc?

IT'S RAD TO SEE SO MANY FELLOW NINJAS! Together we can bring glory to Greninja's name.

Last edited:

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
I'm sticking with Team Ninja. At first I didn't like how the update changed him, but after like the first day I shrugged most of the changes off. I didn't have to completely revamp my approach to him and I at least liked that much. I'm unsure if he's going to be my #1, recently I've hit a new stride with Zamus (wavebouncing and b reversals with the laser have resulted in some hilarious and pride crushing KOs) and my Link has always been slightly above average (slightly being the operative word). I think I might be crazy and just keep 3 mains... they cover each other's weaknesses pretty solidly.

One thing is certain however.... subsitute sucks... but the ONE time you manage to land it... it wrecks SO hard... I'd be willing to lose a bit of the power for more counter frames. Shulk doesn't need as many as he has.... give some to ninja... lol

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Yeah,counter is powerful,but Greninja's counter-hit is so slow you can counter a mildly slow move,have the counter attack dodged,and be punished.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I can respect that! It's always cool to see someone main one character across every game. Are you a big Zelda fan, or do you just love Link's design/playstyle/etc?

IT'S RAD TO SEE SO MANY FELLOW NINJAS! Together we can bring glory to Greninja's name.
Both! In 64 and melee I was young so it was this guy has a sword and boomerang cool!As I grew and learned to play I enjoyed the play style.

Last edited:

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
I guess the only TRULY GREAT thing about substitute's lameness is that when you use it, no one ever sees it coming.

THREE MAINS, RED!? THAT SOUNDS CRAZY.... crazy enough to work. IN ALL HONESTY, that sounds difficult, but if you put in the work, I bet you'll be able to pull off having three mains. Maybe you'll even be the best player for ALL THREE CHARACTERS? ( I have no idea how seriously you play Smash, but you NEVER KNOW)
Just make sure you never drop Greninja... (unless you want to) because... the time for Greninja's reign is now.

@ elusiveTranscendent elusiveTranscendent
Thanks! I'll definitely start posting there, but I don't think this thread is completely without a place in the world. I need to gather my army of hardcore Greninja mains... In all serious though, this is a FAIRLY general Greninja thread, but it's not QUITE as general as The Pond. This thread is more about Greninja's future, and the future of Greninja players, while The Pond is just a sort of general discussion thread for Greninja players. There's gotta be some room for multiple threads in the Greninja forum, right? If you really think there's something wrong with this thread's existence though, I guess I could delete it? (IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!? I know it says I joined a year ago, but I'm actually a Smash Boards newbie. Pretty much all of my posts are from after October.)

Last edited:

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
I guess the only TRULY GREAT thing about substitute's lameness is that when you use it, no one ever sees it coming.

THREE MAINS, RED!? THAT SOUNDS CRAZY.... crazy enough to work. IN ALL HONESTY, that sounds difficult, but if you put in the work, I bet you'll be able to pull off having three mains. Maybe you'll even be the best player for ALL THREE CHARACTERS? ( I have no idea how seriously you play Smash, but you NEVER KNOW)
Just make sure you never drop Greninja... (unless you want to) because... the time for Greninja's reign is now.
Yeah, I just can't decide. When I have a good link day, my zamus is crap. When I have a fantastic greninja day, my link and zamus suck. And of course if I have a solid zamus day my greninja and link are off their game. I'm the most consistent with greninja, but when I have a good zamus day she more or less eclipses my normal skill with greninja. And when I play link my mental game is like 1000xs better than with the other two. I love all three and I really can't decide.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
My main from the moment I saw him in the direct!
Grenin-Ja-Jajajajajajajajajaja- ninja!

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
Been a fan of Greninja since I fist saw Froakie, his evo sealing the deal of being my favorite starter ever (Love starting with Water types lol).

As for smash, Greninja is one of my characters but my primary is Sonic (Played him since Brawl). Been going to tournaments as of late and topping but I'm not sure when I want my Greninja to make his appearance.

Zalak

Smash Lord
NNID
Zalak123
No time like the present, Blue!
If you're confident in your Greninja skills, I say give it a whirl!

Top Bottom