• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tafokints On The Future Of The APEX Series

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin

Ever since the events that transpired during APEX 2015, Smashers have been wary of the future of the tournament series. Due to a series of mishaps with the venue, the event almost didn't happen. Thanks to organizations like MLG and Twitch as well as community figureheads like Jebailey and Juggleguy, APEX 2015 was thankfully able to happen.

Recently, the APEX twitter account was seen teasing another installment in the series. While some Smashers were obviously happy at the continuation of a long series, others were skeptical of the "new management" and whether or not they'd be more efficient than before so as not to repeat the same mistakes.

Tafokints, a Californian Smasher/TO and core member of Melee It On Me, has released the latest installment in his editorial vlog aptly named "Tafo Talks". In the latest episode, he shares his thoughts on the events that happened last APEX, the logistics of the event as a whole and factors that may have caused the mishaps. He also talks about what APEX should do from here.

What are your thoughts on APEX's return? Share them in the comments!

Want to see more of Tafokints? Be sure to follow him on Twitter for more unique insights into the Smash scene. To see more of his content, you can also check out MIOM's Youtube channel.

As a TO, PopiPenguin was very much intrigued at the video. To keep up with him or share your thoughts on the article, you can follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
SB really likes the Tafo talks series I see, but hey I'm not complaining tho they're pretty good :denzel:
As for Apex, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
I agree with this video. Doesn't staff who is in control of different venues of the game get a schedule?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Have someone stand a watch next to the fire alarms. :troll:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
To quote Meekspeedy, before leaving back to Canada, he told me: "every year it just gets worse and worse."

I can't imagine what the previous Apexes were, but 2015 was the first (and probably last) Apex I attended, and the worst tournament I ever attended. It's quite sad that my first national ended up being a disaster. A lot of what Tafo said was true in 2015:
  • Poor organization
  • Bad (first) venue, not adequate for size of the tournament,
  • Lots of unfair DQs,
  • etc, etc, etc
Poor organization for Apex 2015 is an understatement. All that last minute stuff introduced additional costs to the participants who had to relocate, because lol, the hotel wasn't refunding, shuttles were unreliable due to weather, and cabs were overcharging up the Hoo-Hah to get to the other venue.

Video of the fire alarm here. Hotel lobby literally crowded with the rest of the Smash world in one place, not playing smash and wondering what the hell is going on:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hhmcb07h821l0w/20150130_085233.mp4?dl=0

Sorry about the angle, but it's all the video evidence I have. I actually took some great pictures in my camera, but that was stolen by someone whom I took a shuttle bus with back to the hotel to get our stuff. (I'll agree here that this latter bit wasn't Apex's fault, but that was a really lame thing to do regardless. I miss my camera :( I'm a photographer, please understand).

Honestly, the original venue just shouldn't have been used in the first place. There were only two elevators for, like +1200 people, that was just such ballz to begin with specially when you have smashers with crt's, consoles, monitors, as well as the FGC participants with their stuff going up and down those elevators.

Then there was the last minute rush to unlock all the content in Wii U and N64 setups. Yeah, I'm not kidding, nothing was unlocked for the games, so a bunch of volunteers (including myself) had to go in and help grind out Charizard Side-B sding and N64 Link fastfall sding just to unlock everything the night before. Imagine this with 50+ consoles. This was actually when I noticed the leaks in the room for the first time, I remember sitting next to Astro to unlock setups and feeling drops of water on me. That was the moment I started to fear for the tournament and for my life.

Seriously, Apex staff: please please please carefully consider your venue for the future. You're a massive series, don't make the same mistake again. Look at your numbers, check out the venue's history, be very careful next time. Had the roof collapsed and had the tournament happened there, people could've died. You're holding an event to entertain others: I'm sure no one wants something that sounds so fun to end in tragedy.

So no, my answer is simply no. I'm not excited, I'm not going, and I can't support Apex after that. With that said, I certainly hope that the next one succeeds, and that you show me that I'm wrong and that you can handle a big event like this.

Last edited:

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I've never been to apex before but was kinda considering it. However some of the events that transpired in the past couple of years. I thinking of skipping it as usual. For the last three years (Maybe before then) Bad events kept transpiring, Maybe it's because it's New jersey (Not Joking) but def need some new management. I hope the next year runs a lot better.

As true as it is that there were some serious problems with the management, Apex 2015 was a special case because there was a blizzard so bad, it canceled several hundred flights. No matter how good an event organizer you are, no one could have adequately prepared for that unexpected difficulty. That being said, there were too many other factors that were not addressed properly, and the venue should have been chosen better to begin with.

Despite all this, Apex 2015 should not be the standard to hold any Apex series tournament to. This next one that happens, will either be the start of turning over a REALLY shiny new leaf, or its permanent destruction. I sincerely hope it's the start of something much, much better. Even if it isn't, the Smash scene is a strong one and someone, somewhere will pick up the slack the Apex staff left and make a better international series in the winter time. That's just how this scene is :)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
First and foremost, Apex needs a name change ASAP if it does indeed come back. It needs to be seen and presented as a new tournament series so APEX's dark past of inappropriate sexual harassment and whatnot is signified in the past, and hopefully doesn't expand from that past. We want that to die... ALL OF IT!

I'm not even going to mention all the terrible TO's and organizing, because quite frankly none of that compares to the awfulness of what Alex Strife did to all those people. It was despicable, and we need to bury the APEX tournament series name and ZENITH tournament series name (both his creations) forever.

===

Second off, it needs to actually be organized. APEX was organized like straight booty. As Tafo said, Mango would joke that he could show up 3 hours late and be early. I know several people who had pools start 4+ hours late at various APEX events. Honestly, the entire leadership at the top probably needs to be dumped if I'm being really honest, because it's never been organized in the slightest at a top management was. They would say things and then reverse it A LOT, including tons of DQ's.

I've heard seemingly half of Cali Smash stated "I hate APEX, and I would never go to it again" from top players to people nobody even knows, from anywhere from Facebook public posts, announcements on commentary, or just random conversations. Why? The organization sucked EVERY YEAR (Apex 2009, 2010, [there was no 2011,] 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015), and multiple people I know got DQ'd from random reasons, pools and bracket matches changed, and so all... all from poor communications! Why would you go to that unorganized mess of APEX halfway across the country or world when you can go to all these other huge events?

This lack of organization is made into even a bigger issue with what Tafokints said. Nintendude, arguably the best TO on the APEX staff, wasn't even aware of this announcement until it happened. That's how bad they are with communication.

So in order to fix all this, they gotta start with communication. The staff has to know who's in charge, then the public needs to know. Then the staff must select the chain of command and their powers and responsibilities, and then the public needs to know the. The staff needs to make sure it properly delegates that power, and STICKS TO THE GAME PLAN! The staff then needs to properly go after sponsors, acquire a big venue (last year's venue that Red Bull found APEX was good from what I hear), acquire the proper setups and amount of setups, and the staff must double and triple check everything and have everything ready A MONTH before the event, not day two after TO's that weren't APEX TO's take the reigns.

If they organize, plan, structure, and time things right, it should be easy enough. Every other tournament seemingly does it without much issue.

===

Third off, the APEX crew and staff not just needs to communicate and organize better, they gotta treat lower level TO's better. I've heard some pretty bad stuff, similar to what Tafo said. Basically anyone who has ears in the competitive community has. If they treat their lower level staff right, give them power and don't interfere with it or take it away (sans them abusing it or not doing things right), then things will go smoother for the players. Then, the event will go smoother.

===

Lastly, NEWPEX's staff should be humbled by half a decade of failures. They should want to start a new leaf, use what they learned by those failures, and show the world that without Alex Strife and his shade involved, that they can do great things. Hopefully they do their best to prepare early, get things in place early, tournament organize correctly early, and make all the necessary preparations. If they do that and actually run things on time for once (and not over 7 hours late like the last 2 years), then the NEWPEX staff and event will hopefully make a huge step forward.

Edit: This is an extra comment, but booking APEX later in the year sounds wise. Booking a tournament in the American Northeast in the middle of Winter sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. APEX has narrowly avoided having storm issues. CEO was booked properly this year, and still many people aren't able to go because of it or are going to arrive way later than they had hoped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom