• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

t!mmy's List of Necessary Kirby Changes

gsaran

Smash Cadet
When kirby swallows someone the b button and bdown (if he still has the rock move from before) should be copied abilities. ALso if Kirby for example copied link his neutrals could change. (example- If kirby swallowed link perhaps Kirby could wield a sword? changing his nuetral attacks? Swallows King dedede and he gets his hammer. ) It would be enough change for kirby and it would give u a couple new moves to kill your opponent and be unique. ALso kirbys defense could change depending on who he swallowed. Like if he swallowed bowser he would be harder to knock out and kirbys attacks would do more damage.? just a thought. The way im going on about changing his copy ability im making him sound like a god

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I always wished that kirby were more like how he was in kirby super stars (best kirby game imo). Copying an enemy's ability is kirby signature, and then he adds a little more to it giving it his own kirby flare. If kirby copies someone he should get a different set of moves that are not exactly the same as the person he copied (but similar).

I like the ideas in point #5 (cept you can only get parasol and ice powers from only 1 other person while half of the others give fighter powers lol). That means we can specialize some of those fighters into other abilities, like ninja from shiek, bomb for snake, and maybe plasma for ness and pikachu?

One can only hope :D

shinzou

Smash Cadet
in my opinion i don't think it would be a good idea to add these kirby hats and abilities... simply because it's too much extra work for the programmers, I reakon they'd rather stick with what they already have.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
in my opinion i don't think it would be a good idea to add these kirby hats and abilities... simply because it's too much extra work for the programmers, I reakon they'd rather stick with what they already have.
Yeah, having a set of 8+ hats to design is much more trouble than the 12 in SSB-64 + 14 more in Melee + a hat for every new character in each subsequent title released from now until forever (and deleting hats if characters don't return).

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Only thing that I hope is that Smash Bros. have that sound effect from Kirby 64 when Kirby copies someone.

EToaster

Smash Apprentice
Although I don't expect to be able to get all of Kirby's hats from his games, I'm going to be sorely disappointed if I can't swallow one of Dedede's Waddle Doos in order to get Beam power.

Archenyte

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be a good change and it would give kirby more recognition, but it would make kirby a sort of unfair character. Kirby is a really unique character because he's so weak so you fight with different strategies to make up for it. If he could use all of those powers, he just wouldn't be the same as the kirby I knew from ssbm.

What we really need is more range and less lag for hammer and less lag for stone. And the swallow does 18 damage part.

courte

Smash Lord
kirby swallows bugby AT gets suplex ftw... yea the changes you've listed sound like something a premier fighting game enthusiast would make--NOT SAYING SMASH IS NOT SERIOUS--but i don't think sakurai is putting complex chars and combo-pwnage on the top of his priority list for a game like smash--if i remember correctly he says his first goal is to make it fun and slapstick... then again what do i know nice work :chuckle:

i could see however waddle dee with the super hats idea... he's worthless as it is so let's make that little bugger special lol

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
With all the Kirby hats shown, it looks like Sakurai is going with copying characters rather than using the traditional Kirby powers. I think he personally likes how Kirby mimics the other characters in Smash because of its humor. Unfortunately fans of the Kirby game, such as myself, feel estranged from the Kirby universe as a result.

Oh well, maybe it'll change in the next iteration of the game (Super Smash Bros... Fracas?) Now we just have to hope that the other changes I listed will see light once we get to play Kirby in Brawl. ^__^

retro gamer 6

Smash Journeyman
With all the Kirby hats shown, it looks like Sakurai is going with copying characters rather than using the traditional Kirby powers. I think he personally likes how Kirby mimics the other characters in Smash because of its humor. Unfortunately fans of the Kirby game, such as myself, feel estranged from the Kirby universe as a result.

Oh well, maybe it'll change in the next iteration of the game (Super Smash Bros... Fracas?) Now we just have to hope that the other changes I listed will see light once we get to play Kirby in Brawl. ^__^
i'm disappointed too, but we can all hope for the rest of you're hopeful changes. i'm all for it. well said t!mmy.

Firekid2

Smash Apprentice
Looks like you got your wish, T!mmy. (sorta) I just read that Kirby can indeed suck up items and get powers from them. Don't know about hats. But still awesome.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Just make his moves faster with decent knockback. Unfortunately everything I would say is already on the forum. The item thing would be cool as long as they don't make Kirby a Smash god (ex: Crash Kirby, Mike Kirby, Bunny teleportation).

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
I agree with everything except the hats. I know we all love kirby superstar for snes and wish we can play as the copys kirby has... *lol NINJA* Its just that we can't change kirby because its to late in the game. If they did that in SMASH64 then it would be set. but this is the 3rd addition to the smash series and you can't just change the game play just like that. plus kirby would be too buffed with the hats. spammable cutter attack. constant suplex. It's just not right. One idea that would be cool for SSE though is that if a person picks kirby then in between levels or every other other level or bosses. there would be a trophy case between 3 random chars in brawl like in Kirby Super Star ^_^

Turtlefox

Smash Cadet
Yes the hat idea would've would've been such a good idea.. I mean in KSS, it's not he wore a robot suit whenever he sucked up the robo yoyo guys(forgot name) .. he got the ness like hat..

KirbyWarrior

Smash Cadet
I know Sakurai is basically the "father" of Kirby, and that he knows what he's doing. Nevertheless, here are a list of changes I'd really like to see the day Brawl launches.

#1 Moderated Speed
Kirby can't keep up in speed, attacks, lag, and practically in every regard to any good character. To keep Kirby competitive, fix the big gap in speed between characters in mind. (as far as I know of Brawl, this problem is already being addressed).

#2 Kirby Hats
Give us the Kirby hats from his games! Mario, Yoshi, and Pikachu hats are cute, but instead of making a new hat for every character for every game and trying to balance out those attacks, just give him the expected list of Hats and you'll be set from Brawl and forever after.

#3 Fix Bad Attacks
I don't care if an attack isn't uber, godly, or even especially spammy. What it needs is a reliable use. Kirby has too many attacks that just aren't useful in any practical sense. Many people would point at Stone, Hammer, and even the Final Cutter as the most obvious culprits, but instead of buffing these attacks they should be changed to something completely different and those attacks should be integrated into Stone, Hammer, and Cutter hats.

#4 Swallow, Copy, & Star Shot
Copying is Kirby's shtick, his singular trait, the attack he should be best known for. Making Swallow and Copy a reliable and useful attack would give players reason to use it. The main problem with it now is the terrible startup and horrible lag, all for an attack that does 8% damage, sets up the opponent to hit Kirby, and really doesn't give him any useful ability most of the time.

I realize that if Swallow had a great reach, grab priority, and little lag, it could be spammed and pretty annoying to the opponents. First of all, this really isn't such a bad thing as it would give Kirby at least one abusable attack. However, with the inclusion of "Swallowcide", this becomes more important to balance. The obvious thing to do is to improve Copy, and make Swallowcides harder. It's easy to do this: make it so opponents can break out very quickly after getting Swallowed, but make Copying fast and easy to do. If you're going to make Swallow like a grab, give it grab-like lag and range.

Star Shot is another shtick of Kirby, but what use is it when grabbing is easier and deals about the same damage? Well, the obvious thing to do is to improve Star Shot so it's more on par with Kirby's Throws. The amount of damage should be slightly higher, say 14% to 18% based on weight instead of, what, 10% to 18%? And pick up the speed on that thing, it seems to take forever to grab someone with Swallow and spit them out at a nearby opponent.

And, finally, give it some KO power. If Kirby's U-throw can kill someone approximately 200%, surely Star Shot could be used for KO potential. Just make "breaking out" of the star harder the higher percent the opponent has so that if they can't break out before being sent off-screen they get KO'd.

#5 Combos
The fun of this game is stringing attacks together and pummeling your opponent(s). Please give Kirby some combos. Kthnx.

#6 Hat Examples
Beam
Standard - Laser (like Fox's)
Side - Cycle Beam
Down - Beam Whip
Up - Beam whip (tether recovery like Ivysaur's)

Sword
Standard - Non-Stop Cutter Attack
Side - Cutter Boomarang
Down - High Speed Cutter Drop
Up - Final Cutter

Fire
Standard - Fire Blow
Side - Burning Attack
Down - Fireball Roll
Up - Fireball Spin

Fighter
Standard - Energy Ball
Side - Spin Kick
Down - Sweep Kick
Up - Rising Break

Hammer
Standard - Hammer Nail
Side - Hammer Swing
Down - Hammer Flip
Up - Giant Swing

Ice
Standard - Freezer Breath
Side - Freezer Blizzard
Down - Ice Kick
Up - Freezer Sprinkle

Parasol
Standard - Parasol Shield
Side - Parasol Drill
Down - Parasol Dive
Up - Parasol Chute

No Good
Gives no Hat

Bowser - Fire
Charizard - Fire
Diddy Kong - Fighter
Donkey Kong - Fighter
Fox - Beam (Laser)
Ice Climbers - Ice
Ike - Sword
Ivysaur - Fighter
King Dedede - Hammer
Kirby - No Good
Link - Sword
Lucas - Fighter (Yo-yo)
Mario - Fighter
Meta Knight - Sword
Peach - Parasol
Pikachu - Beam (Spark)
Pit - Sword (Cupid)
Samus - Beam
Snake - Fighter
Sonic - Fighter (Wheel)
Squirtle - Fighter (Bubble)
Wario - Fighter
Yoshi - No Good
Zelda - Fighter (Mirror)
Shiek - Fighter (Ninja)
Zero Suit Samus - Beam

The Hats in parentheses are additional hats they could add specifically for those characters. :)
While I do agree with most of these things, I agree with other people about getting rid of the unique hats for each person, that is one of the things that makes Kirby such a fun character. Seeing and using the abilities of the others is sort of exciting to use. Plus its exciting to see the characters new kirby hats.

Top Bottom