• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*t-block is a noob* --the 384th PT video critique thread within a week

T-block

B2B TST
So I finally bought my capture device, and I recorded a few friendlies with my brother last night. These aren't his best matches, but whatever >_>

Friendlies 07/07/09: t-block (PT) vs. Tokaio (Lucas) [1]
Friendlies 07/07/09: t-block (PT) vs. Tokaio (Lucas) [2]
Friendlies 07/07/09: t-block (PT) vs. Tokaio (Lucas) [3]

Yes, I know my Charizard sucks in the second match... I think I spam Rock Smash too much in general lol. It's all worth it when you get a kill like at 2:58 of the third match though ;D. I know I don't use Ivysaur much, but in my experience it's a pretty bad matchup against Lucas. I'll post vids against other characters eventually.

So yeah...watch, enjoy, critique, mock, flame, etc. I'm happy to hear from anyone ;)

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i'll watch these later as i'm off somewhere in a bit but ivysaur is not a bad matchup at all here, all three do fine in my experience. charizard is probably the hardest one to use though.

T-block

B2B TST
i'll watch these later as i'm off somewhere in a bit but ivysaur is not a bad matchup at all here, all three do fine in my experience. charizard is probably the hardest one to use though.
Charizard is really not that bad in this matchup. He's got really nice grab release options, including a grab release chain, and the dash speed to get around PK Fire. He's also got good edgeguarding options against Lucas. Ivysaur doesn't really have any of those things >_> It's not like Ness where PK Fire isn't much of a threat, since Lucas can use it in the air and wavebounce it. He also has a huge advantage over Ivysaur in the air speed department, and his n-air and d-air beat out Ivy's n-air. Ivy basically has to space with the normal spacing moves, but none of those moves, even Razor Leaf, do much against PK Fire. Maybe I'm approaching the matchup wrong... I'd love to hear how you deal with it. I play this matchup a _lot_

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i agree that charizard isn't bad in this matchup but i think he has to be more careful than ivysaur because stuff like lucas nair is more devastating to him. both ivy and zard have methods to keep lucas out though so it's not that much of a problem.

as ivysaur i'm basically just trying to zone lucas out as best as i can. bair (maybe dtilt) will harmlessly cancel pk fire out if you hit it with good enough spacing, and i think razor leaf has a slightly faster recharge rate (if it just comes down to projectile v projectile...which shouldn't really happen but whatever). PK Fire is kind of like razor leaf anyway where both projectiles are easily powershielded so neither projectile should be too much of a problem for the opponent imo. anyway, full hop fair is excellent vs lucas and also "beats" pk fire if you need it to. ivy dtilt is faster than lucas ftilt too so you have options on the ground as well. idk, i've never had much of a problem spacing lucas out but you might just have a more quality opponent. :p i just focus on getting to the point where lucas can't safely pk fire but also can't really threaten you with most of his moves, while you have bair, fair, dtilt, pivot grab, etc at your disposal.

also ivy can edgeguard lucas alright (not as dangerous to him as charizard is though) and do some cool stuff with his tether if you predict that lucas will try to tether it as well. tether right off the edge so you are above it, then cancel it into a dair or nair right as lucas is whipping his snake back or something like that.

can charizard get the regrab after a release? lucas slides further than ness does so i thought you could only dtilt lucas out. but maybe you just walk/dash right before the grab?

T-block

B2B TST
Hrmmm... I'll definitely work on the matchup some more. It feels like I'm never able to outzone Lucas though, with his n-air, d-air and PK Fire. Thanks for the input ;)

I'm pretty sure Charizard can dash re-grab Lucas after a ground release, but you have to be pretty close to frame perfect. I usually don't bother with Charizard anymore, since it's significantly harder than getting it with Squirtle, and Charizard has good options without the regrab.

T-block

B2B TST
Yeah it's friggin' sweet. I regrab a lot in the third vid with Squirtle. It didn't happen in this set, but it's not uncommon for grab release to the edge > f-throw/d-throw to lead to a Water Gun gimp.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
i got to say, you play like me :) this matchup reminds me of a very close match i had to this other lucas player named seanson. only he kinda would like to jump off the edge and us PK Thunder to hit the stage, and he catches the ledge (mind games son) anyway, i usually like to grab release -> Jab combo (squirtle), it's my signature move that i do on everyone, works very effective. honestly i think you could've WG lucas, it nets in surprise kills.

i liked zard at 3:00 Rock smash is Overhyped i'm going to say that right now. IT's overhyped. D-tilt kills at 100% Rock jabs do 13%(?) when not stale. Flamethrower is a great edge hog move, (be careful on the mother boys) Grabs are yoru friends. Tilts are your friends, Fly is a nice way to kill, especially out of a Power Shield. Hyphen smashing with this guy is very effective, since it's really quick 7(?) frames i think? Rock smash really should be your insurance i think, spamming it all around makes you predictable.

If lucas likes to spam PK fire against Ivy, I remember Anther Telling me to power shield projectiles, lucas here can't deal well if ivy gets up in his face. Sure ivy risks being gimped yadayadayada but your nair is as effective as his nair.

but i like your PT if you can master power shield, you'll be a force to be reckoned with

T-block

B2B TST
Heh...usually I do get a few water gun kills in a set...just didn't happen here. I grab release > jab combo on pretty much everyone except Lucas and Ness. Lucas seems to be able to slide far enough to not be hit by the first jab, and it's easy to simply regrab him. I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm at as Squirtle to be honest... it's the other two I really need to work on, but I guess these vids don't really help much for that lol. I have been telling myself to be smarter with Rock Smash, but I wouldn't call the move overhyped =P

And I guess I'll work on power shielding. I do it with Charizard since he has the dash speed to do something about it, but with Ivysaur's dash speed and air speed, even if you powershield, there's not much you can do to punish if Lucas wavebounces it. Still...can't hurt, right? Thanks for the input ;)

Top Bottom