• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switching Vista to XP

Darkslash

Smash Master
Now what I want to do is replace Vista with old XP SP3. The main thing is the replacement and stuff like that. I decided to replace Vista with XP. But I need an opinion of other people.

Should I replace Vista with XP? And If I do what should I do before I replace it.
Is it also true that XP will run better than Vista?

Laptop Model: Acer Aspire 3100-1972

any guides to installing XP will be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I'm lazy to check what your model has, but probably it allows for selecting parts at the buying stage [like Dell does]. So, to tell if you need XP, you need to tell us RAM and CPU.

Start->Control Panel->System [Classic View]
Start->Control Panel->System and Maintenence [bold text] -> System [normal view]

Usually, in most cases, while XP will preform slightly better, the OS switch isn't worth it. Due to the work involved and depending on your needs Vista performs adequetely fine

Darkslash

Smash Master
Processor: AMD Sempron 3500 1.80 GHz
RAM: 1278 MB

and I really hate vista on my laptop. My school comps (which believe it or not are one of the most powerful laptops in the freaking B.C area) can do okay. But I rather have XP on my laptop. Infact some games preform better on XP than Vista on my laptop..

Superstar

Smash Champion
Yeah...XP would....run better

How would you know it'd run better though? You already changed it.

If you already have an XP disk, by all means. If you have to buy XP, well...depends on if you'd rather have that instead of RAM.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
XP SP3 > Vista

Wait for Windows 7.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Yea after consulting with my I.T Teacher( Who's so cool that he lets us do any thing apart from looking at pr0nz, and he's a computer whiz too), said that my Acer would run better on XP. I'm running my Acer with XP SP2(SP3 soon) and it runs like fast.

Superstar

Smash Champion
It's a pretty XP with more DRM.

Windows 7 is more efficient than Vista.

Anything with only one Gig of RAM and low CPU would run better on XP. XP is better, the only thing I was arguing was if the work was worth it.

Top Bottom