• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Switching main to IC's (Marth sucks)

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Alright guys what tricks do I need to know with IC's to win. The way I play them now I just kind of pretend I have 2 marth's running around with ****** swords. Is this the right mindset or am I doing something wrong?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Ohhhhhh boy.

First off, welcome to ICs.

Things you should practice:

1) Charging smashes from grabs; specifically, d-throw up-smash, d-throw f-smash, and u-throw u-smash.
2) Wavedashing out of shield; this is a pretty underused strat among other characters from what I've seen, but ICs rely on it heavily.
3) De-syncing from a roll into blizzard.
4) If you live in a pro-wobbling state, then learn the infinite too.

Info on 1 and 3 can be found in the various stickies. To start, learn those techniques and just master consistently smooth wavedashes, the spacing on your smashes, and get used to their short hop since it's faster than Marth's. That should be a good starting point :)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Things you should practice:

1) Charging smashes from grabs; specifically, d-throw up-smash, d-throw f-smash, and u-throw u-smash.
I like charging a d-smash and then f-throwing/d-throwing into it. :)

But it's mostly flashy and isn't much better than d-throw f-smash.

3) De-syncing from a roll into blizzard.
Also, spotdodging into blizzard/ice blocks. I like spotdodging to ice blocks better mainly when people are running away from me, since you don't have to give up ground.

Other cool ways to desync blizzard that are actually useful: dash dance, up-b out of shield.

Two more things that are really good to practice: Short hop auto cancelled bairs (can be fast fallen) and uairs (cannot be fast fallen). They take a bit of practice, but are super useful, due to having no lag upon landing.

Random tip vs Sheik: CC is good on her tilts.

Also, never forget that you can space by walking and running. Wavedashing isn't the only means of transportation out there! :)

Binx

Smash Master
Thats pretty much what I did when I started, I was awful for a long time, I dunno Ice Climbers are so much different than Marth. I guess IMO all characters should be played similar to Marth if by similar you mean with good attention to spacing and patience. Marth is faster has more range on every attack and is better off the stage. Ice Climbers are imo hard to combo, and in everyones opinion punish significantly harder on the stage.

So umm, just learn each move and practice with them, there really isn't anything different except the wierd IC tricks, you can find those all over the thread, but wobbles pointed you to the bread and butter stuff, the rest is just practice.

So yeah wavedashes, wavelands, attacks from grabs, and good spacing.

EDIT: I see your an 06'er so you should be fine just picking them up.

Facepalm

Smash Cadet
Yes the IC population is growing! My first time playing IC's was basicaly wavedashed all over the the place doing downsmashes. Ahh the good ol days... But yeah wavedashing and downthrow dair chaingrabs are a must. Also i personally like to do tricks with desynches, I find them fun and it might scare the **** of of your opponents. For example if a jiggs fails a rest, 1) have your back turned to the sleeping ball of fluff 2)spotdodge and quickly charge a upsmash with only nana only and hold your A button and use forward smash using c stick with popo. As long as you hold A you will charge two different smashes during the time and when you let go, both will hit jigglypuff. This prob wont come up much but you can also use two different charged smashes as an edgeguard (probably not recommended tho)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hmm. It would be pretty fun to have Nana use a fully charged smash on Puff, then grab, then have her do another one off your d-throw or u-throw. Rather than just get the double smash damage like normal, you'd get 2 smashes + the extra percent from a grab.

Or just infinite her -_-

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Hmm. It would be pretty fun to have Nana use a fully charged smash on Puff, then grab, then have her do another one off your d-throw or u-throw. Rather than just get the double smash damage like normal, you'd get 2 smashes + the extra percent from a grab.

Or just infinite her -_-
When I played these characters in ancient times, sometimes Puff would only be at like 25% when she missed Rest and they'd start mashing immediately to break the expected wobble. So then charge D-smash --> grab --> wobble to tack on the extra 19% prematurely became somewhat useful.

Of course this is all obsoleted by the Handoff and other stuff but it was so cool at the time.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
It's still useful; it's not like she's going to be missing rests on platforms or by the ledge every time. Even then you might as well charge the smash before doing the handoff because most people will have no idea what the **** is happening. If she's on a platform (or someone landed on a platform after a shieldbreak) I think it's more fun to go for charge u-smash -> belay.

Facepalm

Smash Cadet
Yeah all the possibilities Ice Climbers can do just cause of desynching two characters which can temporarily mind**** your opponent to losing a stock.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
oh jeez I never knew any of the character specific boards were still so active hahaha.

Are any states even pro-wobbling anymore? I've always known basic setups but never cared to try any more of the advanced setups since everyone johns about it and its banned in IL anyways.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
why is it uthrow fsmash is always overlooked? mad useful =)
I do that in a recent tournament set. I also use my signature battle-cry "GO THAT WAY" right before I release the smash, and point the direction they're supposed to go. It's a great way to get some laughs!

But you like look a giant tool. That's okay since most people are cheering for me to lose already :)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
perfect wavedashing is must, also if you could poivt as mart as ice climbers it's useful. auto cancel bairs are important you bair not early or late but like in the middle.

Finch

Smash Lord
If you're switching characters from marth because you think he sucks, it's not marth, it's you. Unless you're like really new to the competitive scene and haven't really learned anything yet, you should stick to what you know =/

But if you don't care about that then welcome to ICs. They're fun until you have to play against a ******** matchup, of which they have like 12.

Top Bottom