• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF Roster Evolution: Back From The Shadows Edition! (Game 4 Has Begun!)

Chase

Smash Ace
As I'm away again, text roster again!

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Wario
Link
Zelda
Samus
Ridley (NEW)
Pit
Captain Falcon
Mr. Game and Watch
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Lucario
Marth
Robin (NEW)
Olimar
Villager
Kirby
Dedede
Fox
Ness
Isaac
Shulk
Little Mac (NEW)
Chibi-Robo (NEW)
Inkling (NEW)

On the schedule: Peach, Wolf, Ganondorf, Duck Hunt, Marshal

For once I was able to go according to plan!

EDIT: Realized I didn't have Mac, fixing

Last edited:

Newcomers and reasonings:
- Ridley (Metroid): I considered adding him on the earlier roster, plus I felt that Metroid deserved a second rep and I think most people would prefer Ridley over second Samus.
- Wolf (Star Fox): Another one that I considered adding to the earlier roster, I chose him over Falco because he is more unique.
- Little Mac (Punch-Out): After not adding any new series reps to previous roster (due to rules), I wanted have a couple of them to this one and Little Mac was an obvious choice.
- Shulk (Xenoblade): Again, wanted to have more new series reps this time.
- Inkling (Splatoon): It was hard to choose between her and a second retro rep, however, I chose Inkling to have a new female on my roster (I didn't want to add a fourth Mario rep yet, but Peach will most likely be added to the next one) and I felt that a second retro rep wasn't necessary yet.

E=Mewtwenty2

Smash Cadet
Super Mario series: Mario, Bowser, Peach
Pokémon series: Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario
Legend of Zelda series: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf
Donkey Kong series: DK, Diddy
Kirby series: Kirby, King Dedede
Metroid series: Samus, Ridley
Yoshi series: Yoshi
Star Fox series: Fox
Wario series: Wario
Animal Crossing series: Villager
F-Zero series: Captain Falcon
EarthBound series: Ness
Fire Emblem series: Marth
Punch Out series: Little Mac
Golden Sun series: Isaac
Splatoon series: Inkling
Kid Icarus series: Pit
Game + Watch series: Mr. Game + Watch
Gyromite series: R.O.B.
Mii series: Mii Fighters

REASONING:

Ganondorf: He warrants a spot at this point, simply put.
Little Mac: See Ganondorf.
Isaac: I wanted someone who wasn't in Smash yet, and he was by far the best choice.
R.O.B.: I decided to pull a slightly risky choice, that choice being having second retro character, and while I wanted to add the Ice Climbers, R.O.B. deserves it more.
Mii Fighters: Here's my big risk for this round. They're controversial, sure, but they're also extremely important to Nintendo's history AND they're really unique.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Last edited:

badfart47

Smash Rookie
May I also be put on que for the next game and have the right to vote, kind sir? This is quite the interesting and unique concept that you're hosting here, and I'd love to partake in any possible fashion. Thanks in advance! :p

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Well, ladies and gents, this round of voting is over. And if it weren't for @ F ForestFreak101 , we would've wound up with a tie.
It really does seem like the Mii Fighters were controversial, but not enough to end @ E=Mewtwenty2 E=Mewtwenty2 's streak. However, they were the main reason as to why @ Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma , @ Chase Chase , and @ D dimensionsword64 voted for him. But it was @ The Light Music Club The Light Music Club that got voted off, with everyone else voting for them, and for more varying reasons. Here are those reasons.
E=Mewtwenty2: "having Greninja, lacking a second Metroid character, and having a second FE character".
@ Mew N' Sunset Shimmer Mew N' Sunset Shimmer : "having K. Rool and Greninja".
@ Weegee Da Meme Weegee Da Meme : "having K. Rool".
ForestFreak101: "having Greninja".
The light has finally been dimmed. Sorry Light, but once again, you've encountered a Game Over.
Once again, special rules this round! Hopefully nothing difficult: just veterans only. Five characters as usual, and rosters are due by Friday.
Also, I must apologize to @ badfart47 badfart47 . I never noticed your post at all and I didn't even get a alert about your post. I will let you vote next round, and you will be on que for next game.

:094:

Chase

Smash Ace
Text roster again, might resubmit with image:

Mario
Luigi
Bowser
Peach (NEW)
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Wario
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf (NEW)
Samus
Ridley
Pit
Captain Falcon
Mr. Game and Watch
Duck Hunt (NEW)
Pikachu
Mewtwo
Lucario
Marth
Robin
Olimar
Villager
Kirby
Dedede
Fox
Wolf (NEW)
Ness
Isaac
Shulk
Little Mac
Chibi-Robo
Wii Fit Trainer (NEW)
Inkling

Newcomers: Peach, Ganondorf, Wolf, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer

On the docket: Marshal, Tingle, Meta Knight, Red, Andy

EDIT:

I should have images for the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Newcomers and reasonings:
- Peach (Mario): Self-explanatory, after intending to add her to my roster for several times, I finally added her.
- Meta Knight (Kirby): Self-explanatory.
- Charizard (Pokemon): Now this was a hard choice. I was torn between three options: Charizard, Jigglypuff and Greninja. I chose Charizard due to him being one of the most iconic and popular (if not the most popular) Pokemon, while Jigglypuff has lost her relevancy over the years, and I felt it was too early to add Greninja.
- Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt): After leaving the second retro rep out from my previous roster, I decided to add one now. I was torn between Duck Hunt and R.O.B., but I chose Duck Hunt due to his unique moveset and Duck Hunt being one of the best-selling and (arguably) one of the most iconic NES games.
- Wii Fit Trainer (Wii Fit): I had seven different options for the last character: a new (non-retro) series character, fourth Zelda character, second KI character, third FE, Star Fox or Metroid character and a third-party. I didn't feel like adding either Sheik, Toon Link or ZSS, I didn't think KI, FE and Star Fox needed another character yet and I didn't think that I should add a third-party yet. There was one option left: a new (non-retro) series character. I checked my options, and I had only one: Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

E=Mewtwenty2

Smash Cadet
Super Mario series: Mario, Bowser, Peach, Luigi
Pokémon series: Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, Charizard
Donkey Kong series: DK, Diddy
Kirby series: Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight
Star Fox series: Fox, Wolf
Wii Fit series: Wii Fit Trainer
Pikmin series: Olimar

REASONING:

Luigi: Obvious choice is obvious.
Charizard: Obvious choice is obvious.
Meta Knight: I think he is iconic and popular enough to warrant a spot now.
Wolf: I figured that Star Fox was finally deserving a second character, and I chose Wolf due to him being more unique than Falco.
WFT: There were relatively few options left, and most of them felt too risky/ wouldn't make sense/ would've broken the "special" rules. The only veteran characters from Zelda were Toon Link and Sheik, both of whom seem too risky. K. Rool would've broken the rules. Kamek was an extreme risk AND broke the rules. It's still too early for a second FE character. And 3rd parties would've killed my chances of winning for sure. That left me with WFT, Duck Hunt Dog, Shulk, and the Ice Climbers. The latter two choices felt too irrelevant to add, and I think I have enough retro characters for now, so WFT won the spot.

Last edited:

badfart47

Smash Rookie
Thank you once again, KingShadow. Looking forward to participating! Also, don't worry about not seeing my post at first. It happens, so we're all good :)

badfart47

Smash Rookie
E=Mewtwenty2, as I've been studying and comparing the rosters real hard lately in order to prep myself for voting, I've come to the realization that you are indeed one character short. Looking back at all your posts, it has also come to my understanding that you've always been one character short since your 2nd message. Comparing said roster to the first, I've realized that you have forgotten to add Olimar since then. I hope you see my message and are given the time in order to fix this, so you aren't voted off due to a cheap mistake. Hope this helps. Also, good luck!

Last edited:
E=Mewtwenty2, as I've been studying and comparing the rosters real hard lately in order to prep myself for voting, I've come to the realization that you are indeed one character short. Looking back at all your posts, it has also come to my understanding that you've always been one character short since your 2nd message. Comparing said roster to the first, I've realized that you have forgotten to add Olimar since then. I hope you see my message and are given the time in order to fix this, so you aren't voted off due to a cheap mistake. Hope this helps. Also, good luck!
I'll tag him (@ E=Mewtwenty2 E=Mewtwenty2 ). Maybe he'll notice and fix it. I didn't even notice he didn't have Olimar, I guess it's because of having text roster instead of an image.

EDIT: Speaking of voting, when will this round's voting start?

Last edited:

badfart47

Smash Rookie
In addition, for the next and final round, I would like to recommend that the last two contestants be forced to add 5 third-parties, since neither of the current three have done so yet and I figured that it would be a suitable way to end it in doing so. Believe me, I realize that Smash is a Nintendo game about Nintendo characters, but it seems as though a small minority of important third-party characters has also become increasing essential these past few games. Keep in mind, this is just a suggestion and, if you already have something else planned, don't worry about it and ignore this post completely. Also, sorry if it seems like I'm spamming posts on this thread, as I'm not trying to! XD

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I never even noticed that E lacked Olimar for so long. :laugh:
Anyways, voting starts now. You guys know the drill. As for @ badfart47 badfart47 , I'll get your PM set really quick. Voting goes until tomorrow.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Alright dudes. Now that we finally have @ E=Mewtwenty2 E=Mewtwenty2 's vote in, we can finally go onto the next round.
... Actually, not quite yet, as the amount of votes between E and @ Chase Chase 's rosters were equal, leading us to a tiebreaker round. These two dudes are going to have to add five characters to their rosters, each of them filling one "niche", with those niches being: a villain, a character that has never been in Smash, a character that has been cut from Smash, even if they have returned, a regular veteran, and a third party character that has never been in Smash. Note that only one character can fill in for each niche (Example: King K. Rool cannot fill both the "villain" and "newcomer" niches, it's one or the other) and you must specify which niche each character is filling. Also, both users must at least have one unique addition for this round. Another thing: if you add anyone this round, they must be added again next round as "newcomers" if you plan on doing so.

Voting is also different: instead of doing it in the PMs, we post them here, and you must also list all pros and cons of each roster. Rosters are due by Wednesday, and only E and Chase will be participating in this "round". Good luck!

Last edited:

E=Mewtwenty2

Smash Cadet
This round sounds intriguing. Either way, I gotta do this.
Super Mario series: Mario, Bowser, Peach, Luigi, Toad
Pokémon series: Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario, Charizard
Donkey Kong series: DK, Diddy, King K. Rool
Kirby series: Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight
Star Fox series: Fox, Wolf
Wii Fit series: Wii Fit Trainer
Pikmin series: Olimar
Xenoblade series: Shulk
Ice Climber series: Ice Climbers
Final Fantasy series: Black Mage

REASONING:
Toad: He's filling in the newcomer niche. Most other choices were filled by some other niche (K. Rool for villain and Black Mage for new 3rd party) and there were few other choices to choose from.
King K. Rool: Filling in for the villain niche. Beyond Kamek, all of the major Nintendo villains (unless you want Andross) were already in.
Shulk: Filling in for the veteran niche. Most of the other veterans felt risky or weren't worth adding, so I was forced to use him regardless of whether I wanted to or not.
Ice Climbers: These two obviously chosen for the cut character niche. I already had Mewtwo and Wolf, Snake felt really risky, and Lucas, Roy, Doc, and all the others weren't worth adding.
Black Mage: Filling in for the new 3rd party niche. The only other reasonable choices were Layton and Rayman, and I felt that Final Fantasy was more significant to gaming over all, even if Layton does come close.

So... now when I made it to the finals, and won't be participating to Tiebreaker round, does that mean the other one who gets into finals will have more characters than me on the final round, or will the characters added on this "round" be counted on next round at all?

EDIT: Never mind, it's explained on KingShadow's post.

Last edited:

Chase

Smash Ace

• Villain: Vaati (unique choice)
  • Cut character: Pokémon Trainer Red (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
  • Newcomer: King K. Rool
  • Veteran: Meta Knight
  • Third party: Professor Layton
Let the best man win.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
All right, time to get voting. Remember, for this round, you must vote here AND you have to list all pros and cons for each roster. Another thing, though this part should be obvious, @ Chase Chase and @ E=Mewtwenty2 E=Mewtwenty2 can't vote this round, since they'd just vote for each other. Voting goes until Friday.

Last edited:
Just listing pros and cons now, I'll tell which one I vote later.
Chase
+ Series are fairly represented: none of them is over- or underrepped (though Pokemon could be seen as overrepped if you count PT's Pokemon as separate characters, but I count them as one)
+ King K. Rool and Ridley.
+ Representing series that haven't had a character in Smash yet.
+ Pokemon Trainer. A sneaky way to include three characters in one slot (I somewhat regret that I didn't realize this being possible when I added Charizard). The only thing that I don't like about him is the awful stamina mechanic, but we're rating rosters, not gameplay mechanics.
- Professor Layton. Sorry, I'm not a fan of this choice, I prefer other third-parties.

E=Mewtwenty2
+ Series, except Zelda, are fairly represented. No series is overrepped.
+ King K. Rool and Ridley.
+ Representing series that haven't had a character in Smash yet.
+ Black Mage. This is one of the good options for a third-party that hasn't been on Smash. He is iconic as well.
- Zelda series could've used another character.
- Mii Fighters. Never been a fan of them, and them getting three unique movesets and K. Rool costume aren't doing them any favors.

EDIT: Wasn't going to vote until tomorrow, but I'll be at school until 2.30 PM (my timezone, it's 23.30 PM here now) and I don't have time to visit here in the morning, so I decided to vote now, in case the voting ends before I have access to here tomorrow.

Okay, both rosters were good, and it was hard to choose which one to vote, but after looking the pros and cons, my vote goes to E=Mewtwenty2. Sorry, I liked your roster too, but I like Chase's roster slightly more.

(I hope that at least one more user votes before tomorrow, otherwise this will end up in a tie again)

Last edited:

Weegee Da Meme

Banned via Warnings
E=Mewtwenty2's Roster:
+ Has a bunch of predictable choices with some strange, but not really bad, choices
+ Mii Fighters (even though I don't like them myself, they're honestly needed at this point)
- Lacks Duck Hunt Dog and debatably Toon Link (or a Toon character of any sort, really)

Chase's Roster:
+ Some really interesting picks
- Lack of Mii Fighters
- Red/ Pokémon Trainer instead of solo Charizard

My vote goes to Chase.

Last edited:

Mew N' Sunset Shimmer

Smash Rookie
Oh... I'm really torn here. I like both... regardless...
Chase's Pros

*Professor Layton.
*Vaati.

Chase's Cons

*Chibi-Robo.
*Pokémon is arguably overrepresented thanks to the Trainer.
*Still on the Trainer, he's honestly a bad inclusion. The gimmick's (especially the type and stamina gimmicks) were just awful.

E=M's Pros

*Black Mage.
*Mii Fighters.
*Ice Climbers.

E=M's Cons

*The Pokémon part of the roster is boring.
*No fourth Zelda character.
*So many retro characters.

I... guess I'll go with Chase. The Pokémon Trainer kinda killed that roster. Otherwise, I likely would have voted for E=M instead.

Chase

Smash Ace
Ok, the thing with the trainer is

WHO ELSE WOULD I INCLUDE?

It had to be a cut veteran! I already had Mewtwo and Wolf, Pichu, Dr. Mario, or Young Link would be a deathwish, and adding Roy or Lucas would overrrepresent their franchises. And I didn't add the Ice Climbers because I wanted another Mon. I needed another Pokémon rep, and I didn't want to waste my newcomer on it. I used the Trainer because I liked him in Brawl, and he operates a bit differently than in Brawl.

His stamina mechanic is no longer in place, and Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard have their Project M movesets, with the exception of the down taunt, which is what allows them to trade to the next one. Therefore, you play as the one you want to, like Zelda/Sheik.

So just clearing that up.

badfart47

Smash Rookie
OK, here we a-go!

Chase

+ Series are well repped (unless, as M.P. says, you count Pokemon Trainer as 3 separate entities, which, fortunately for you, I don't).
+ Also, multiple new series are being shown the spotlight.
+ King K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Inkling
+ Chibi-Robo (I just love the little guy :p)
+ Pokemon Trainer (As I had hinted at in my previous statement, I love the idea of the dude (or dudette, if you're including Green as an alt costume xD) and he could bring back the transformation gimmick quite nicely).
- Prof. Layton (So many better and more deserving choices :/)
- Vaati (I'll give having that extra Zelda rep to you (something your opponent lacks), but, despite Vaati appearing in multiple games, he's still a 'one-time' villain that's out of relevancy. Sure, you could argue the same relevancy thing for King K. Rool, but he's the MAIN villain! Plus, there are better, more current characters, such as Midna, Ghirahim etc.)
-Lack of Krystal

E=Mew

+ Series are also well repped (well, besides Zelda and Fire Emblem missing that 1 rep).
+ Again, multiple new series are being given their chance to shine.
+ King K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Inkling
+ Ice Climbers (the obvious choice and well desererved)
+ Black Mage (represents a large third-party who had critically acclaimed games that helped to shape his respective genre on Nintendo's NES. Plus, he's fairly iconic himself and one of the best choices out there.)
+ Toad (super iconic and next in line for the Mario reps (FYI, the Mario series can totally have an extra rep without throwing the whole representation thing outta whack, since the games are Nintendo's main treasure and icon.))
- As previously mentioned, the Zelda and Fire Emblem series are missing a rep.
- Lack of Krystal
- Having R.O.B over Duck Hunt as the second retro rep (Duck Hunt is both more iconic and deserving, simply put).
- Mii Fighters (just... ugh!)
- Lack of Chibi-Robo

Deciding which roster I liked best was one of the toughest decisions I ever had to make thus far in my life (seeing as I'm still a teen without a license, living at home with my parents and going to school :p), as evident by the various pros and cons listed with each respective roster. Honestly, I loved them both, but if I had to pick just one to vote off... It would, unfortunately, be E=Mewtwenty2's roster (even though I had helped you fix it earlier :( ). Now, despite myself finding more deeming pros in his roster, I also tragically found more cons that I just simply couldn't shrug aside. Whereas, with Chase's roster, there were a lot more things I could handle (except for Layton. Why! xD). Plus, I absolutely adore Chibi-Robo! :p Again, it was very close. Sorry, E! :(

EDIT: I just realized that with my newfound vote being heard, that it's a tie... Again! xD Hopefully, someone else comes on here and gives their two cents to end this roster debate once and for all, otherwise, my bad, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
I wonder how the second finalist will be decided if this ends to a tie again. There's still time for someone to vote before the day ends though, hopefully someone will vote.

Top Bottom