• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sweetspotting Farore's Wind

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
Farore's got a buff with the ability to give damage at the reappearance, but, I have also read and heard that sweetspotting Farore's Wind is alot harder. I would consider this as a pretty big nerf since after all, sweetspotting Farore's in Melee made it a very reliable recovermove.

So my question to all you Brawlers is, How difficult is it actually to ledge-sweetspot FW in Brawl?
And has anyone got the hang on sweetspotting it yet? Im a bit worried because it's very rare to see a FW sweetspotting in Zelda gameplayvids.

Me Myself and Jy

Smash Cadet
I'm still pretty bad at it since I haven't sat in training mode and practiced it yet. (I don't have the game.) But I've gotten it a few times but most of my attempts lead to SD.

FadingWings

Smash Cadet
The only way i can sweet spot FW is using it above the enemy, and landing almost touching the ground inside them.Its not a reliable killing move though so i tend to stray.

Foxy

Smash Master
The only way i can sweet spot FW is using it above the enemy, and landing almost touching the ground inside them.Its not a reliable killing move though so i tend to stray.
They're asking about sweetspotting to the edge, not to attack an opponent.

I haven't played much Zelda but sweet-spotting seems very difficult. I've played a number of Zelda's who have SD'd from sweet-spot attempts.

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
I actually find Sweetspotting the ledge much easier.
There are times when I don't even mean to do it but it still happens.
You just need to adjust to the distance that Farore's Wind takes you.
And you should have no problem.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I think what makes it harder is mostly map design and the situations off the edge you tend to get in now, not as much the mechanics.

I've heard it said before so i'll repeat it: It's much smarter to line up with the ledge and sweetspot a B^ than it is to try and sweet spot it on a diagonal

Eten

Smash Ace
It's very possible, it's just hard to get used to. I just can't wildly use my up-B and think to aim for the ledge. As long as I keep in mind the 16 different directions farore's wind can go, think about it and DI myself to one of those locations that sets me up to use one of those directions, and if I'm somewhat underneath I'm used to the distance it travels, I can make the farore's wind sweetspot very well.

When done like that it's hard to say Zelda has any recovery troubles, teleport goes quite a ways, the same distance both vertically and horizontally whichever way it is used, and not physically being there while you travel preventing you from being hit out of it are all really useful.

The FIRST thing to remember though is that just DIing towards the stage isn't always the right choice. If you get yourself under the stage cause you weren't paying close enough attention, ugh...

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
I think what makes it harder is mostly map design and the situations off the edge you tend to get in now, not as much the mechanics.

I've heard it said before so i'll repeat it: It's much smarter to line up with the ledge and sweetspot a B^ than it is to try and sweet spot it on a diagonal
This is something I've been thinking about too. If you FW horizontal towards the edge there shouldn't be any problems. Though, this can be very predictible and may end up with you beeing edge-hogged.

HipsterKid, are you saying that you should always FW at a certain distance from the egde?

Iris

Smash Ace
I hardly find myself in the situation where the best distance you can go is pretty much a sweetspot. When that does happen, make sure to use farore's immediately when they attempt to ledgehog. By the time you re-appear, their invincibility frames are normally gone and you can grab the ledge by knocking them away with the after-shock. Of course, it's still possible to get edgehogged at that point, but the person has to really have their timing down.

Luthien

Smash Ace
It depends. When I practice, I find it near-impossible because I have to jump off and teleport to the ledge all by myself. However, in matches against Ryoko, Spazn and Drake, I've sweetspotted from every angle instinctively. Just practice, practice, practice and eventually you won't even have to think about it. Also, check out here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=155351

Hope that helps. Aim so that Zelda's upper body appears level with the ledge, not her lower body (waist or lower), and you should sweetspot. Angle of the teleport doesn't really effect what happens if you reappear at torso/head level. The only difference is when you FW downwards: that's an all or nothing teleport. You either fall to your death or sweetspot. Teleporting horizontal or upwards is generally a lot safer.

Oh, and I haven't seen you around for a while, Iris. I want your friend code so we can ditto. Also, don't forget to confirm your sign up for the Zelda tourney.

Pappioll

Smash Apprentice
Ok ok, It's a relief to hear that players still seem to sweetspot several times in a match. Pheew :p

I wish I could play Brawl, I want it sooooooo badly.
Still no European release date... :'(

HipsterKid

Smash Ace
No.
Actually, you can teleport while barely away from the ledge and sweetspot it.
The ledge will actually decrease your FW length and help you sweetspot.
I'm sure that can be done in any direction excluding complete vertical distances.
In those cases, yes, you'll need to know the exact length.

Luthien

Smash Ace
No.
Actually, you can teleport while barely away from the ledge and sweetspot it.
The ledge will actually decrease your FW length and help you sweetspot.
I'm sure that can be done in any direction excluding complete vertical distances.
In those cases, yes, you'll need to know the exact length.
Actually, it's rather interesting. Hippy is completely right, but I'd like to add to that a little.

The ledge will indeed stop your distance if you sweetspot it, but there was a tiny thing in Melee that I think may have been caried over in Brawl. I'll go over it. If you're close to the ledge and you teleport towards it, there are three zones.

1) Head-to-torso: Zelda should sweetspot the ledge and grab immediately. Yay.

2) Waist-lower leg: Depending on the angle you teleported, Zelda will either grab the ledge a fraction of a second later than normal, she'll grab the ledge almost a full second later than normal, of if you teleported downwards she won't grab it at all (>.<).

3) Feet: This is what my post is actually about. You see, if you teleported Northwest/Northeast in Melee and were kind of close to the ledge (not incredibly close, but not full FW teleport distance), and landed in this zone, you wouldn't bypass the ledge like you physically should. Zelda will stop and land on the stage floor, right next to the ledge. It's like she gets caught there or something.

At any rate, I never bothered to fully research and experiment with this, but it has happened to me in Brawl as well. I do know that if you are very close to the ledge though (like, a bit less than half of FW teleporting distance), Zelda will not get caught by the ledge and she'll go flying past it, reappearing above the stage floor going the full Northeast/Northwest teleport distance.

Another interesting tidbit is that this also applies while teleporting Southeast/Southwest off the stage (at least it does in Brawl; it hasn't happened to me in Melee). If you try it, sometimes Zelda will stop at the ledge when you try to teleport down it, reappear just off the ledge, and fall, not going the full teleport distance.

It didn't occur to me while I was teleporting off of a grabable ledge though, so I don't know if you could hug the ledge to save yourself or not (this happened to me while I was messing around in Skyworld or whatever Pit's stage's name is). All I know is that there would be no point in trying to do this in Melee, because you can't grab the ledge when facing away from it. However, doing this seemed to stop Brawl Zelda's arial momentum somewhat, so there might be enough time for her to grab the ledge when she's done spinning.

I haven't been able to replicate this yet (not that I've exactly tried for long periods of time or anything). If anyone can confirm this, let me know please.

So yeah, just though I should point that out.

S2

Smash Lord
I'll admit I had a lot of trouble with Farore's when I switched to Brawl. I don't even know why, but for some reason it gave me some problems for my first few rounds.

Truth is though, its buffed in this game. The damage afterwards is great and if your skilled you can really go a lot of places with its 16 trajectories.

Read Luthien's FW topic, its excellent.

Top Bottom