• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
That sakt pic should have Corrin instead, as Roy was at least kind of popular. Even though he was added for the same reason as Corrin but is less exciting
it was made back when roy was revealed back when people were needlessly mad he got in

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Nevermind, looked up the Splatoon Wiki (should have realised there'd be a Splatoon wiki), and it seems Damage Up is basically worthless. Crud.

Oh well, now I know what to do next time I play. Imma crush you all with my Gold Dynamo!!

chuckthesmashlover

Smash Journeyman
Oh, don't worry, I win almost every match and has literally the highest score in almost all my mwatches, even without using the Aerospray. :p I don't always kill the most, but I ink great.

I just don't know if the Damage Up thing really does only work for Snipers. Does anyone know? If they do, I am wasting slots on my Dynamo...
Damage Up affects all weapons; however, it cannot lower the amount of hits it takes to splat an opponent, meaning that is is only useful with most weapons if the opponent has the Defense Up ability. The ability does lower the amount of time that a player using a charger needs to charge their weapon to splat an opponent, making it more useful with chargers.

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Damage_Up

Shroob

Sup?

Lucas....Lucas had a hard life, and then this ....witch....comes along.

Seriously, I know it's a nod to Kamiya, but Lucas was all I could think of.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Lucas....Lucas had a hard life, and then this ....witch....comes along.

Seriously, I know it's a nod to Kamiya, but Lucas was all I could think of.
It's "ask your mum."

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I cant get on the eShop to DL Cloud.

Also I'm about to delete my SSB data and start fresh.

With the 'complete' roster. I know I'm missing 2 characters but still, it'll feel better beating all the modes with all the characters.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I will say that Smash hype dying down has upped my hype for other games.

I'm really interested in finishing the games I have and the stuff I might get for Christmas. And of course, upcoming games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm sure I will have more desire to play Yoshi's woolly world when I unlock cow yoshi

Shroob

Sup?
I will say that Smash hype dying down has upped my hype for other games.

I'm really interested in finishing the games I have and the stuff I might get for Christmas. And of course, upcoming games.
My hype can't die down until I get the DLC, then, I can finally be free of my hype.

LIBERA ME FROM HYPE!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Don't get me wrong. Corrin and Bayonetta are still exciting and I can't wait to try them. :4corrin::4corrinf::4bayonetta:

But it's not this mystery any more. No hoping for stuff or discussing possibilities.

Just appreciating what we got. Not much hype anymore. :p

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Mewtwo, Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta were the highlights for me.

Not to take away from the others, though. They're just as good.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Thinking about it, the DLC line up of characters ended up following a similar premise as the main roster additions, being a mix of requested and unexpected characters.

Also, with Corrin and Robin in the game, I'm sure the FE fanbase finally got something they wanted: something other than plain sword users, with transforming characters (manaketes, taguel, laguz) and magic users being huge parts of the FE franchise as a whole.

If you take out the Marth derivatives Roy and Lucina, we actually have a solid FE character selection that covers multiple different aspects of the series. Marth being the royal and graceful Lord, Ike being a rough, burly mercenary, Robin being the magic user and Corrin being the transforming humanoid.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
after 6 hours and gettingdestroyed by the master cores "off waves" maximillians wiiu bossrage with cloud is over

man that was a ride he was morally destroyed when he died at the tail end of the run and had to spend an additional 2 and 1/2 hours playing

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
You know, I saw a reddit post on why Smash 4 will be ported to the NX in the future:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3x3v3j/smash_4_on_wii_u_is_on_pace_to_be_the/

Thoughts?
I really don't like how casually people say this.

Like the idea of having to drop 60 dollars on a game that completely invalidates the Wii u version just for a couple characters and stages has no problems.

Like, people don't seem upset about this idea. Why aren't they? This is a very bad business practice.
So, someone told me that Damage Up in Splatoon ONLY effects Snipers.

... is that true? If so, why on earth would they only allow the most OP weapons to be even stronger? :/

Halp.
This isn't true. But Snipers probably get the most benefit.
Damage Up affects all weapons; however, it cannot lower the amount of hits it takes to splat an opponent, meaning that is is only useful with most weapons if the opponent has the Defense Up ability. The ability does lower the amount of time that a player using a charger needs to charge their weapon to splat an opponent, making it more useful with chargers.

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Damage_Up
This isn't true. It can lower the amount of hits it takes. But only for certain weapons.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And yet you cannot deny their cartoon-y aspect. It's just as Golden pointed out. The Heavy's minigun is a 'gun', but it's not realistic in design. It is a 'real gun', but the cartoon-y aspect still makes it more comical than threatening in appearance. The closest thing to a real life gun that Bayo's gun could be considered to be a Derringer.

Honestly, Bayonetta's guns in Smash are no more violent than Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry, and both those used realistic depictions of revolvers and shotguns constantly.
Smash is an animated game. Anything depicted has an essence of being a cartoon.
Looney Tunes didn't claim they were avoiding realistic firearms. There's really not too much more realistic they could have gotten.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I wonder if we'll ever officially hear who the overall winner of characters who couldn't happen was. It'd sure be nice.

Inb4ShrekorGoku

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The silhouette of the guns is realistic, I'll give you that.
But considering she made it into the game, albeit possibly with a higher rating, it's kind of a moot point imo.
I don't even get why people are bringing this up again.

She's in the game, can we stop sweating information from seven years ago? Yeesh.
...what the hell does her being in the game have to do with the fact that she uses realistic firearms in the game? In fact, I couldnt say the latter without the former being true. My argument is based upon a principle that she is in the game and breaks one of the things we were told wouldn't happen. It's not even debatable as far as I am concerned- it is a series of facts.
I'm sure I will have more desire to play Yoshi's woolly world when I unlock cow yoshi
Good luck. Its mostly just good on a Sunday afternoon or when you are home sick.
...and that comes from someone who was 6 for Yoshi's Story and really loved it.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Smash is an animated game. Anything depicted has an essence of being a cartoon.
Looney Tunes didn't claim they were avoiding realistic firearms. There's really not too much more realistic they could have gotten.
Snake didn't get to use his gun and guns were also a reason for not including James Bond back in Melee (despite Goldeneye's popularity and acclaim).

One could say that Bayonetta contradicts this, but here's the thing: unlike Snake and Bond, her guns aren't realistic, sporting flashy designs and actually don't fire realistic bullets, but magic energy (Bayonetta is a witch, after all). Plus, wielding guns on her feet in addition to using guns on both hands is just too ridiculous to be taken seriously and far away from realism.

Speaking of Bayonetta, I realize more and more that, despite she's not an iconic third-party character (unlike Sonic or Ryu), she probably has the most ties to Nintendo out of the third-party games and that may have been a reason why Sakurai picked her and saw her as viable.

Think about it: Nintendo published and financed Bayonetta 2 exclusively on Wii U and even assisted on its development, with one of the producers being a Nintendo employee. The same applies to the Wii U port of the first Bayonetta game.

Along with the fact that Sega and Platinum Games have a good business relationship with Nintendo and already had some involvement in Smash (Sonic, Virtua Fighter costumes, The Wonderful 101 content), it made her a more negotiable character out of potential third-party characters.

She is still something of an exception to third-party characters in regard to the lack of legacy, but then again, she is the ballot character, so her inclusion is meant to be fanservice. However, I think fact that she was a character relatively easier to get into Smash from a business side of things helped with her inclusion.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

You know, what Frost said above kind of makes me wonder something. If say Snake was overall higher than her (as an example) I wonder if Nintendo would have tried to negotiate for him or any third party, and just eventually settled on Bayonetta, or if they knew how difficult it could have been for a third party above her and just decided to talk to Sega/Platinum Games, having such a good relationship already.

Or heck, if perhaps there was a more popular character, 1st or 3rd that Sakurai saw and thought the moveset would be to boring (or Ridley) and went with Bayonetta who was high up and insanely unique in so many ways.

Sakurai Famtisu article, save my wondering mind D:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Speaking of Snake, Konami has begun recruiting people for a new Metal Gear project.

http://www.konami.co.jp/en/job/career/spe/mgs_en.php

With Kojima and his team gone, I doubt as many people people will be looking forward to it compared to previous Metal Gear games.

The Metal Gear fandom is pretty much intending to boycott Metal Gear games without Kojima's involvement. "If it's not by Kojima, I won't buy it" is a common statement I've seen.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
You know, what Frost said above kind of makes me wonder something. If say Snake was overall higher than her (as an example) I wonder if Nintendo would have tried to negotiate for him or any third party, and just eventually settled on Bayonetta, or if they knew how difficult it could have been for a third party above her and just decided to talk to Sega/Platinum Games, having such a good relationship already.

Or heck, if perhaps there was a more popular character, 1st or 3rd that Sakurai saw and thought the moveset would be to boring (or Ridley) and went with Bayonetta who was high up and insanely unique in so many ways.

The newest one is about Star Wars (kind of). soma is going to translate that and the one about Episode 3 (kind of) before Sunday I believe.

Neo Zero

The newest one is about Star Wars (kind of). soma is going to translate that and the one about Episode 3 (kind of) before Sunday I believe.
I meant the one after the most recent one. I forgot we didn't get this weeks yet though.

How topical though, I'd love to see what Sakurai says about Star Wars.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if we'll ever officially hear who the overall winner of characters who couldn't happen was. It'd sure be nice.

Inb4ShrekorGoku
Odds are they were all added all Mii costumes. Of course, that's assuming Goku, Shrek and/or Brittany Spears didn't make it into the top five.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I meant the one after the most recent one. I forgot we didn't get this weeks yet though.

How topical though, I'd love to see what Sakurai says about Star Wars.
That was the one for this week. The next one will be available January 1st, Japan time.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Is the force strong in Sakurai?

Are these not the characters we are looking for?

Did wolf shoot first?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
From Mr. Game & Watch (1980) to Corrin (2015), the Smash Bros. roster covers 35 years of Nintendo gaming history, along with six special guests, from gaming legend Pac-Man (1980) to the more contemporary Bayonetta (2009).

It's truly a roster unlike any other, wouldn't you say?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I still believe that Lara Croft was built into Bayonetta, with how the shooting works.
Bayonetta looks awesome- and about time we have another magic user.
I just wish the dual pistols had made an appearance.

If Bayonetta *did* receive votes, I still cannot imagine it was more than Lara Croft. She may not have been worth the negotiations, but shes a sexualized character with nonstop firearms.
Odds are they were all added all Mii costumes. Of course, that's assuming Goku, Shrek and/or Brittany Spears didn't make it into the top five.
Something would be very appealing about having "Hit Me Baby One more time" as a taunt.
Im actually a bit upset that we never got a schoolgirl (and boy) Mii costume.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I cant get on the eShop to DL Cloud.

Also I'm about to delete my SSB data and start fresh.

With the 'complete' roster. I know I'm missing 2 characters but still, it'll feel better beating all the modes with all the characters.
I wonder what would happen if you delete your SSB save data but did not delete the DLC data... and then you started playing the game... would the game keep the DLC characters on the roster but you still have to unlock some characters like Dr. Mario and Duck Hunt.

D

Deleted member

It's sad to see people leave
It's weird to think that after all this speculation, some have finished what they came here for and that we may never see them again
Well, goodbye @Kenith
So

Time for the realest question

F!Kamui or M!Kamui and Bayo1!Bayo or Bayo2!Bayo?

F!Kamui and Bayo 2 all the way for me.

Fight to the death.

In a calm manner please.
Bayonetta 2 all the way baby
As for Corrin, I'm probably playing as both of them like I do with Robin(Default Male Robin, Red Robin and blonde Robin)
Though I may have some bias for the Female Blonde Costume
No one else as far as I can tell. Besides perhaps me. But I'm kind of just thinking about it right now.
Don't you dare leave
I'll punch anyone that tries to leave in the face
Which reminds me
*punchs Kenith in the face*
I hope I don't have to do this again

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Snake didn't get to use his gun and guns were also a reason for not including James Bond back in Melee (despite Goldeneye's popularity and acclaim).

One could say that Bayonetta contradicts this, but here's the thing: unlike Snake and Bond, her guns aren't realistic, sporting flashy designs and actually don't fire realistic bullets, but magic energy (Bayonetta is a witch, after all). Plus, wielding guns on her feet in addition to using guns on both hands is just too ridiculous to be taken seriously and far away from realism.
It doesn't matter that Bayonetta's guns are "magic powered." They don't have any visual difference from how a real gun would fire, unless you think that the bullet would be seen. It is de facto a realistic firearm.

Its really quibbling to try to argue her guns are not realistic. This doesnt mean that they are real guns. It means they replicate a device to which any child could in theory have easy access. It doesnt matter that they are pretty and purple- they are realistic fire arms, and it is daft to consider them anything other than.

It doesnt matter that they are realistic- she looks awsome, but ignoring the fact that they are realistic fire arms is just diminishing any other argument that is stated in the same post.

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
Finally got around to updating the Smash rainbow!

Its still kind of mind-blowing to think that all of these characters are in the same game...

Shoutouts to @Warchamp7 for making the transparent Cloud render and @Burruni for providing a link to the HQ Bayonetta. :)

D

Deleted member

Don't you dare leave
I'll punch anyone that tries to leave in the face
Which reminds me
*punchs Kenith in the face*
I hope I don't have to do this again
Lucky you then, because due to some feelings I almost left. Avatar gone and everything. But I ended up coming back because I remembered some wise words my boyfriend said when it came to me. :p (Which is ironic because what started me feeling down last night was him going offline.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Meanwhile, in other news...

The most exciting thing for me is that NSMBU P-Switches actually look like P-Switches now.

Neo Zero

Finally got around to updating the Smash rainbow!

Its still kind of mind-blowing to think that all of these characters are in the same game...

Shoutouts to @Warchamp7 for making the transparent Cloud render and @Burruni for providing a link to the HQ Bayonetta. :)
It's great but I always find it unfair Link isnt in these ever (or even Pikachu). Both are more than important enough to be in these images imo (granted in this case it's a Rainbow so kind of can't fit em in anyway lol)

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Arcade Era: 1980-1984
:4gaw::4pacman::4dk::4mario::4luigi::4littlemac:

NES/Famicom Era: 1985-1986
:4rob::4duckhunt::4peach::4bowser::4link::4zelda::4samus:

Game Boy Era: 1987-1990
:4pit::4palutena::4megaman::4ryu::4marth::4drmario::4falcon::4yoshi:

SNES/Genesis Era: 1991-1994
:4sonic::4kirby::4dedede::4wario::4fox::4falco::4metaknight:

N64/PS1 Era: 1995-1999
:4diddy::4ness::4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4cloud::4sheik::4ganondorf:

GameCube Era: 2001-2006
:4feroy::4villager::4bowserjr::4olimar::4tlink::4myfriends::4zss::4lucas::4lucario:

Wii/3DS Era: 2007-2016
:rosalina::4wiifit::4bayonetta::4shulk::4darkpit::4robinm::4lucina::4greninja::4corrin:

This is the final All-Star Mode Lineup in February. And it's pretty damn surprising with the last 3 eras having the most characters in that era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom