• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask, since we are always talk about 3rd party characters in Smash 4, what crossover (other Cpacom ips) or 3rd party characters would you think it would be cool to see in Street Fighter 5?

I would love to X in the game, or Kyo who won't have a jank af model :^)
Viewtiful Joe is my "dear god I am bieased as hell. This doesn't even fit" pick

After that either Strider or Captain Commando. I have yet to play their games but they seem cool enough

EDIT I forgot Phoenix Wright. How?

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
@Frostwraith
(I know I'm late on this but I did want to say something.)
I don't know. While I do think it could work, I'm not sure how well it'd mesh with Xenoblade's genre (namely sci-fi fantasy). Like, it just doesn't seem like the kind of franchise that would go into mythological or supernatural elements.

Now I'm not gonna say that it can't work. But I feel like it'd work better as it's own IP rather than the next installation of Xenoblade.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Just had a revelation.

They're pushing Nabbit a lot, right?

He's in the Olympics. Playable in Luigi U. Now he's in Paper Jam. He's shaping up to be a main character.

Who else is this a bit like? In terms of, playable in spinoffs and a few games.

Rosalina. Who got into Smash? Rosalina.

I think that, if Nabbit's popularity keeps growing at this pace...

Nabbit could be in Smash 5.
I could see it. Plus a thief character could be cool. I'd wouldn't mind nabbit being playable at all next game. He could probably have a really fun playstyle to.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I have to ask, since we are always talk about 3rd party characters in Smash 4, what crossover (other Cpacom ips) or 3rd party characters would you think it would be cool to see in Street Fighter 5?

Dante
Arthur
Frank West
Phoenix Wright
Megaman

3rd party...
Mario
Jack Frost
Pac-Man
Sonic

There's more that I can't remember

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wouldn't go saying Nabbit will be in Smash 5 just yet.

Literally his only character trait right now is putting stuff in a bag and running off with it.

Rosalina has had more than that since she debuted. And her roles were generally bigger.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Why does no one pay attention to the real shoo-in though?

:troll:

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Man, why do people make such a big fuss about sword fighters?

Who cares if they're not using their fists, if they're fun to play as why does it matter? Like it or not, swords are an important part of both combat AND video games.

Seriously, I just don't get the resentment.

Bring back Bad Box Art Megaman and make him top tier. :V
I said it once, I'll say it again.

It's not the weapon, it's the design because :4palutena: gets the same complaint. It's isn't because they are anime Swordsmen but they are anime CHARACTERS.

It all leans on the sole fact that a certain Space Dragon and psycho alligator aren't in Smash or any other cartoonish or realistic character in Smash but these anime heroes are.

:4darkpit: is forever the cause. :4feroy: made it worst and :4cloud: just turned it into a meme to where no one takes it seriously.

Like I said, it's always been an East vs West thing.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
All official statements from Sakurai only back the idea that sales doesn't matter. The only time he's ever referred to sales is with Duck Hunt, which would make him an exception.

The thing about Nintendo characters is that a lot of them have some kind of notoriety to them anyway. He adds them because they would be interesting, but naturally, all of the characters are appreciated to some degree. It's tertiary.

A STEAM rep would be no different. And at the end of the day, not all of the franchises repped in Smash have international success. Again, STEAM is no different.

If you want to hang on to arbitrary, unproven "criteria" then that's your call but don't enforce it as fact.
"Also, characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority."

Source

What is the ultimate determination of a series' future? Their financial success. Combined that with financial success being the general biggest indicator of a series' overall popularity and notoriety, which then influences their characters' demand and profile, it's simply naive to cling to "financial success doesn't matter".

The thing about Nintendo characters is that a lot of them have some kind of notoriety to them anyway. He adds them because they would be interesting, but naturally, all of the characters are appreciated to some degree. It's tertiary.
"Yeah the character's uniqueness and how well Sakurai can fit them into Smash will be the ultimate determining factor, but you can't just ignore the prior factors that will very likely keep Henry Fleming from getting to that point for that determination to be made, and prevent him from being high priority enough to beat out his competition throughout development if he makes it past Sakurai's approval and conception."

It doesn't matter how amazingly unique and mind-blowing Henry Fleming as a Smash character is if there's 10, 20, 30, etc. more unique characters who will get considered and prioritised first because they're more demanded/from more prolific series. Takamaru didn't make it into Smash 4 even though he was a potentially unique/interesting inclusion because Sakurai didn't deem him popular enough, and we don't have the likes of Wonder Red and Saki even though they could have been really unique additions.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Also, characters and series that have no plans for future releases, or a low possibility of future releases, inevitably will be considered lower priority."

Source

What is the ultimate determination of a series' future? Their financial success. Combined that with financial being the general biggest indicator of a series' overall popularity and notoriety, when then influences their characters' demand and profile, it's simply naive to cling to "financial success doesn't matter".

"Yeah the character's uniqueness and how well Sakurai can fit them into Smash will be the ultimate determining factor, but you can't just ignore the prior factors that will very likely keep Henry Fleming from getting to that point for that determination to be made, and prevent him from being high priority enough to beat out his competition throughout development if he makes it past Sakurai's approval and conception."

It doesn't matter how amazingly unique and mind-blowing Henry Fleming as a Smash character is if there's 10, 20, 30, etc. more characters who will get considered and prioritised first because they're more demanded/from more prolific series. Takamaru didn't make it into Smash 4 even though he was a potentially unique/interesting inclusion because Sakurai didn't deem him popular enough, and we don't have the likes of Wonder Red and Saki even though they could have been really unique additions.
I wouldn't say the ultimate determination of a series' future is financial success considering many past cases.

But currently, the only real noteworthy IPs Nintendo have debuted, are Splatoon and STEAM. STEAM has much less competition than those other franchises did with Smash 4 in that regard as of now, so it still has a good shot, and you are also assuming IS won't attempt a sequel that might do better, which is not out of the question (if IS did things based on financial success, we wouldn't have as many Fire Emblem games as we do).

It's fine if you disagree but I think STEAM has a good shot at getting a rep. I ultimately do not care what you think on the matter, and I doubt you care what I think either. That's just the way I see it.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I wouldn't go saying Nabbit will be in Smash 5 just yet.

Literally his only character trait right now is putting stuff in a bag and running off with it.

Rosalina has had more than that since she debuted. And her roles were generally bigger.
Game & Watch doesn't even have a personality though. You don't need tons of traits to be in Smash.

And yes, we can't say he's likely for Smash 5 right now, but if he keeps getting pushed and appears more and is as such developed more his chance grows.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's a different incarnation of Link so it doesn't count

Also Seriously?

This is fake right...?
Obviously no pineapples, that stuff is gross, get it away from my pizza

Was this even needed?
GOD****INGDAMNIT GAMEXPLAIN!
First they upload a Cloud discussion super late now they do the most unnecessary comprison of all time
Surprised they didn't do a Ruby and SapphireXOmega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire comparison last year

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Game & Watch doesn't even have a personality though. You don't need tons of traits to be in Smash.
Game & Watch has a character and it's referenced in his various moves that call back to various games he appeared in where he would reprise different roles, showcasing different talents. SSE also gave him more of a personality, he seems like a fun loving guy.

Nabbit literally just puts things in a bag and runs off with them. He isn't much of a character and doesn't really have any cool traits yet. He's just a gameplay gimmick for Mario games for now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Batsu would be fit with the SF cast rather well, especially considering that Sakura was a guest character in the first Rival Schools game. Mega Man, being Capcom's mascot, would also be a good choice.

As for non-Capcom characters, I know a Nintendo version of SFV is impossible, but if SFVI ever gets ported to NX, then I'd like to see Little Mac and/or Captain Falcon.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Yeah, pretty much make it case by case basis, like have a band of Demon Hunters/Vampire Killers or the like who are out to kill supernatural creatures but keep it so the supernatural species as a whole aren't wholly evil, I mean we've seen ways in which they make vampires not outright human killers, by making it so they only need to drink human blood, not outright kill them, and I've seem series that have it Youkai only eat humans who die of old age and such, and not go around eating any human they come across.

Not only that, there are other ideas for vampires, like them somehow turning into bats to fight, or add new ways to explore. There also potential with Ghost party members, with the most obvious ideas being possessing enemies, but also using interesting status effects, one would be freezing an enemy in fear if their able to land the effect correctly.

Well see you later, respond to this if you want to for when you comeback.
what i'm getting from skimming this is just
make it the doctor strange of xenoblade
Also Seriously?

This is fake right...?
TIME TO SEE WHICH SQUID SISTER IS A SCRUB

Ivander

Smash Legend
That's a different incarnation of Link so it doesn't count
Lies! The art of thieving has been passed through the Hero's Spirit for generations!
How else do you think they can get away with breaking pots and boxes in almost every town, house and dungeon?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Lies! The art of thieving has been passed through the Hero's Spirit for generations!
How else do you think they can get away with breaking pots and boxes in almost every town, house and dungeon?
Because Hyrule is filled with defense/worthless people who can''t do nothing to save themselves when evil attack? Why question the guy with the sword he could stab them at any moment! Which reminds me, why do they let children use swords in zelda?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
what i'm getting from skimming this is just
make it the doctor strange of xenoblade

TIME TO SEE WHICH SQUID SISTER IS A SCRUB
Spoiler Alert: It's not Callie!
(I'm lying actually)

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
That isn't stealing, its donating to a good cause to provide the hero with more distractions, instead of saving Hyrule :troll:

D

Deleted member

SSE also gave him more of a personality, he seems like a fun loving guy
I don't see how using his appearence in Smash is a valid counterargument to his post
It's like saying X character can't be in because they don't have a 3D model, but saying Duck Hunt has one, for example

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't see how using his appearence in Smash is a valid counterargument to his post
It's like saying X character can't be in because they don't have a 3D model, but saying Duck Hunt has one, for example
The SSE appearance was more of a natural elaboration on what he had in the G&W games, though. It wasn't out of left field. The games gave them a good base.

Nabbit really doesn't have that right now.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People don't like F.A.N.G.

But... he's amazing.

He's the only newcomer I feel like I HAVE to play.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I just read a comment on YouTube where someone said they hated Rosalina because "it's so frustrating when you Star KO her in Smash and she doesn't even sound like she is in pain".

Literally missing the point of the character.

she don't care none, she's god for pete's sake

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
SO, any thoughts on the Smash presentation occurring next week?

Let's look at the weekdays of previous events which have had Smash related content that had character reveals plus notable info:

April 2014 Greninja Direct: Tuesday

E3 2014 Digital Event/Palutena and Mii Fighters: Tuesday

October 2014 50FE/Mewtwo Reveal: Thursday

2015 April Fools' Direct/Lucas Reveal: Wednesday

E3 2015 Mini-Event/Roy/Ryu Reveal: Sunday

November 12th Post-Iwata Direct/Cloud Reveal: Thursday

Should the Presentation happen this week, it'll likely be a Thursday; a part of me is pessimistic and thinks it won't happen this week, but if it does, there's my date prediction.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
So... Gamexplain posted there discussion on Cloud today.
They said they tried to get a special guest, but connection issues got in the way. You'd most likely had to have been on the other side of the world in order to have really bad connection problem between countries. With that in mind, I think I may know who this person is (although it's mostly assumptions.)
*cough* PushDustIn PushDustIn *cough*
I wasn't asked! Lemme check my Skype messages, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
SO, any thoughts on the Smash presentation occurring next week?

Let's look at the weekdays of previous events which have had Smash related content that had character reveals plus notable info:

April 2014 Greninja Direct: Tuesday

E3 2014 Digital Event/Palutena and Mii Fighters: Tuesday

October 2014 50FE/Mewtwo Reveal: Thursday

2015 April Fools' Direct/Lucas Reveal: Wednesday

E3 2015 Mini-Event/Roy/Ryu Reveal: Sunday

November 12th Post-Iwata Direct/Cloud Reveal: Thursday

Should the Presentation happen this week, it'll likely be a Thursday; a part of me is pessimistic and thinks it won't happen this week, but if it does, there's my date prediction.
Yeah, I'm expecting the presentation on Wednesday or Thursday of either this or next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom