• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I liked 8 when I first had it but that's not a popular opinion.

My favorite games are the ones with the class system

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I detest the characters and story, 20 hours in is FAR too long ( I even feel 7 took too long to get there and that was only about 3 or 4 hours), the combat is honestly meh and some bosses drag on way too long, and did I mention I REALLY hate the characters? Because I really, really do.
I have issues with Cloud's character but at least his party members are great.
Meh, to each their own. I liked the characters a lot.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
TBH I've never even seen a legitimately good reason as to why FFXIII someone would hate FFXIII.

No, linearity is not a good reason, because that's what every non-MMO FF game besides XII is like. Linear for the first 20 or so hours and then opens up after that when most of the plot is done.

It's just a matter of taste I guess. I don't really hate any FF game or even dislike any that I've played, besides, well, FFVII. Though maybe my impression would be different if I played today or maybe I'll like the remake more.
I haven't played FF13 but wasn't a grand majority of the game's map design mostly like a tunnel (going by what I've heard and seen)? Because if so, that's the kind of linearity that is off putting.

EDIT: And there was also a lack of towns wasn't it? If what I'm assuming is true then I think it's kind of easy to see why people wouldn't like the game. You don't have to agree with it, but I don't think they're any wrong for feeling that way.

I'll eventually try the game out for curiosity's sakes.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
TBH I've never even seen a legitimately good reason as to why FFXIII someone would hate FFXIII.

No, linearity is not a good reason, because that's what every non-MMO FF game besides XII is like. Linear for the first 20 or so hours and then opens up after that when most of the plot is done.

It's just a matter of taste I guess. I don't really hate any FF game or even dislike any that I've played, besides, well, FFVII. Though maybe my impression would be different if I played today or maybe I'll like the remake more.
The other ffs have open areas but are linear because of levels or story elements

But xiii is literally linear in design

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Meh, to each their own. I liked the characters a lot.
To each their own indeed, amigo. You're not WRONG for liking them or the game :V I just don't share that opinion, to put it mildly.

Yaaaay for avoiding pointless conflict based on taste. :happysheep:

My fave FF games are the PS1 trio.

8>9>7. In that order.
I tend to not hear good things about 8, but literally the only 2 FF games I haven't played are 8, 10, 12 and the MMOs. So I'm not about to pass judgement there.

Last edited:

Chrono.

FF games (at least the main series) are each really different from each other, so it's no surprise they're so divisive amongst the core player base.

I mean, Pokemon games don't change all "that" much from gen to gen and people try to rip each other's throats arguing which gen is the best one. Take that with FF and multiply it by 10.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I haven't played FF13 but wasn't a grand majority of the game's map design mostly like a tunnel (going by what I've heard and seen)? Because if so, that's the kind of linearity that is off putting.
Kinda, but again, that's every FF dungeon.

I didn't mind it since each area had it's own special feature or gimmick (for example, one area lets you change the weather to influence the kind of monsters you deal with in each upcoming section) in this case though, which is something other FF games don't do as much. It was like playing a Classic Sonic game in that regard, only it's an RPG. And besides that, I liked the battle system a lot and the story kept me engaged anyway.

Also the game opens up really well in the later half of it anyway. Gran Pulse feels so alive and it's fun to explore.

The other ffs have open areas but are linear because of levels or story elements

But xiii is literally linear in design
No, other FF games are full of linear design too.

The lines are just wider and have less details in them.

Last edited:

Naoshi

Going off by memory in FF4, I don't recall any of the dungeons I was in felt like a tunnel. Linear? Sure. But I recall checking out different short paths that contains an item of some sorts. It was def not tunnel-like. I think that alone makes a big difference to me. If a dungeon is literally a tunnel in layout then that can become boring to me. Different strokes I suppose.

There isn't honestly much left for me to say though, as I haven't played FF games enough. I'll let everyone else handle this discussion since they know the games wayyy better than I do lol

Last edited:

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

I didn't mind it since each area had it's own special feature or gimmick (for example, one area lets you change the weather to influence the kind of monsters you deal with in each upcoming section) in this case though, which is something other FF games don't do as much. It was like playing a Classic Sonic game in that regard, only it's an RPG. And besides that, I liked the battle system a lot and the story kept me engaged anyway.

Also the game opens up really well in the later half of it anyway. Gran Pulse feels so alive and it's fun to explore.

No, other FF games are full of linear design too.

The lines are just wider and have less details in them.
The linearity in some of the other FF is restricted to Dungeons, and even then you have to FIND some dungeons, and they arent purely point A to Point B unless you make it that way. And when it isn't a dungeon, there's still a decent amount of things to do. Hidden areas and secrets, different rooms to explore along that path, or even ways to deviate off it, with people to talk to, stories and hints to find out, etc.
13 is literally hallways. Like, LITERALLY. You can maybe take a fork in the road to find and item and backtrack to the regular path but that is as far as it goes.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
so going off of when the fighter ballot was started unless cloud is released at the end of december or in january he is more likely not a ballot character

how? well i believe push has stated it takes 8 months to make a character
now if cloud is released say december 3rd guess what nintendo waited a whole 2 days after the ballot started to decide cloud would be a character

now this is all based off of clouds release if hes early december its highly unlikely

But wait you say what about sakurais tweet about fufilling a dificult request well if im not mistaken it was revealed that he was talking about clouds animations(his "fast speed sword swings" or something along thoes lines)

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So... I have a quick question. How would have you guys felt if Heihachi replaced Pac-Man within Smash 4?

Last edited:

Naoshi

GUYS! I GOT MY HANDS ON A LEAKED TRAILER FROM THE PRESENTATION
lmao the FE music

So... I have a quick question. How would have you guys felt if Heihachi replaced Pac-Man within Smash 4?
Would be disappointed since I feel Pac-Man is THE mascot and grandfather of gaming. Heihachi would be cool but I think Ryu was a smarter choice as far as fighting game characters goes.

Last edited:

Chrono.

So... I have a quick question. How would have you guys felt if Heihachi was in the game besides Pac-Man?
Heihachi's cool.

But I'd still like other Namco characters over him, namely: Klonoa, Nightmare and Lloyd.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Making Egg Nog with my boyfriend.

Took a shot of straight bourbon.

Is this meant to be consumed by humans or is it simply battery acid or grill cleaner disguised as an alcoholic beverage?

News Glance with Genevieve Vavance wishes you a Happy Thanksgiving with this shocking report.

Last edited:

Naoshi

Got myself 40 dollars in my Eshop balance. I should check out some things for the sale.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Going off by memory in FF4, I don't recall any of the dungeons I was in felt like a tunnel. Linear? Sure. But I recall checking out different short paths that contains an item of some sorts. It was def not tunnel-like. I think that alone makes a big difference to me. If a dungeon is literally a tunnel in layout then that can become boring to me. Different strokes I suppose.
That's literally the exact same thing as FFXIII's "hallways". There are alternate paths or hidden areas with treasures, no different to any FF dungeon. Again, I compare it to a Sonic game or something, only it's an RPG - you are aiming to get from point A to point B, but you can find hidden nooks and crannies and there are some alternate pathways. FF dungeon design has always been like this, XIII didn't do anything different, except for give each area it's own unique mechanic, which was a good thing.

And honestly, if I had to choose between linear dungeons that look like this:

Or this:

I'd easily choose the latter. Oh, and not having to deal with random encounters, and instead having hands on control in real time over which battles I face. That part is important, because the alleged reason why FFXIII's linearity is "bad" is because it strips control away from the player to form your own experience...yet the game gives you the ability to pick and choose your battles according to what you are comfortable with. If you watch two different LPs of FFXIII, they tend to be more different than other FF games, because the player has full control over what enemies to fight and how the characters level up and how they build their weapons. The fact that enemies physically chase you down rather than you being arbitrarily forced into a random battle, means you also have to be aware of the environments you are exploring, as opposed to "walk two steps, random fight, walk three steps, random fight, etc". So while FFXIII was honest and upfront in it's linear environments, it's open in other areas...and becomes really open in the latter half even in terms of environments anyway.

The linearity in some of the other FF is restricted to Dungeons, and even then you have to FIND some dungeons, and they arent purely point A to Point B unless you make it that way. And when it isn't a dungeon, there's still a decent amount of things to do. Hidden areas and secrets, different rooms to explore along that path, or even ways to deviate off it, with people to talk to, stories and hints to find out, etc.
13 is literally hallways. Like, LITERALLY. You can maybe take a fork in the road to find and item and backtrack to the regular path but that is as far as it goes.
I'll give you the being able to talk to townspeople thing (though in FFXIII's case, conversations with townspeople do exist, you just have to walk up to them rather than get stuck in a conversation with them - it didn't have much of it but that was because it wouldn't make sense in the context of the story if you could), but in every other aspect, other FF games besides XII are just as linear as XIII, they just mask it differently - be it through "you need X thing before you can open this area", or "oh, you can come to this area, but you will be way too underleveled to get anywhere so there is no point".

I'm all for exploration - if it's actually real exploration, which FF games generally don't allow until the latter half of the game (and FFXIII was no different there). If you're gonna give me a linear game, I'd rather it be honest - and FFXIII is honest about it's linearity. It doesn't hide it, and instead takes steps to use that linearity to it's advantage, which is honestly how FF games should have been from the start if they were gonna be linear.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Let's just agree to disagree here. I read your post, I get what you're saying, and I have several different ways to refute that without even trying. But clearly, neither of us are going to convince one another.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
This is such a great thing to look at:

Over a year ago I would have never thought these two would ever have collectibles that I could get hold of. (Especially after Lucas showing up late to this iteration)
And not only these two but my other favourites too;:4falcon::4ganondorf::4tlink::4fox::4falco::4shulk::4pacman::4drmario::4darkpit::4villager::4rob::4feroy::4myfriends:
Say what you will about Amiibo. But they are such a great thing to have as a collection.
I can't wait till I get Lucas. Then I can have one step closer to the entire Brawl cast. Something I always wanted back when I played the game in it's life-span.
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4marth::4gaw:
:4luigi::4diddy::sheilda::4pit::4metaknight::4falco::4charizard::4myfriends::snake:
:4peach::4yoshi::4ganondorf::popo::4dedede::wolf::4lucario::4ness::4sonic:
:4bowser::4wario::4tlink::4rob::4olimar::4falcon::4jigglypuff::4lucas::substitute:
Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers in the new Direct :p

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I lived this before.....consider getting a desktop pc :)
My laptop is used for college courses, while the family desktop is mainly used by my parents. My charger broke because my brother bent i. I should be able to get a new one tomorrow or saturday.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Went into E-shop today to buy Yoshi's Woolly World...

"Oops, you don't have enough space!"

Deleted just about every game I have on my Wii U.

Realized Xenoblade's coming out soon, and I should get those loader packs. I'm at 15.7 GB...

Download the packs, costing a whopping 15.3 GB...

Guess I'm not buying Yoshi's Woolly World tonight.

Eggnog? I thought that was a Christmas thing. Am i in the wrong holiday?

FFX was my first FF. (Even though i had a ps1. . .)
Made me hate RPGs for years. FF13 was my next RPG years later.

Needless to say my next non-pokemon rpg would not come for a while. It happened to be FE awakening qhich restored my faith.

Now with FE, xenoblade, bravely default, ff7, and i guess EO for now suddenly i love RPGs >_> must be because of how much i love storys, characters and worlds nowadays

Last edited:

Chrono.

Went into E-shop today to buy Yoshi's Woolly World...

"Oops, you don't have enough space!"

Deleted just about every game I have on my Wii U.

Realized Xenoblade's coming out soon, and I should get those loader packs. I'm at 15.7 GB...

Download the packs, costing a whopping 15.3 GB...

Guess I'm not buying Yoshi's Woolly World tonight.
I'm gunna need an external.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Seagate is the brand I use regarding external hardrives. Remember that it can't be over 2TB though, otherwise the Wii U wont be able to read it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Lame. if it was Nightmare, Lloyd, or Agumon, sweet. But that's just a boring choice. Wouldn't be the most original either for gameplay purposes. Pac-Man has a great moveset, and the 3 I suggested could easily bring something unique. NIghtmare with a slow powerful ranged sword attacks as well as stances, Lloyd being a true dual-word wielding character. And Agumon with digivolution mechanics. Of course, Agumon suffers from 3DS limitations.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Nintendo recommends external hard drives with external power source, but you can get an HDD with a Y-cable (to connect it into 2 usb slots) and it should work fine.
I have a Toshiba 1TB hard drive with the Y-cable and it works great.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
So Shovel Knight's Amiibo has been pushed back to December 11th now.
Dun Dun DUNNNNNNN.
OH BOY SHOVEL KNI-

So I took everyone who did the Tier List one and gathered data from the Pokemon Stat quiz, the What Game are you From quiz, the weaponry quiz, Class Quiz, and other such combat quizzes and gave you guys playstyles. :p If it says "Fighting data insufficient" it means that you did the Tier List one but not any other combat generators.

Spikeez – An Assassin character who has electrical powers and grapples using suction cups.

N3ON – Whip user with powerful specials using the powers of darkness and dragons.

Zoroarking – A knight with a Great Sword with poor defense that can be improved over time. Has elemental poison, earth, and ice powers in the great sword.

XenoKing – Fighting data insufficient.

Opossum – Crossbow user who summons opossums he’s raised to aid in battle. Voice powers. Crossbow breaks shields easily.

Substitution – Defensive character with a small sword. Low attack power, but a wall of a character.

SonicBrawler (Aaron Stance) – The Mr. Hyde of the stance change. Powerful in most regards, but not as speedy.

Swampasaur – A brutal fist-fighting Brawler.

Crimson72 – A fiery spectral fighter from a survival horror game. Has a Zen Mode power up.

Akxareth – A red mage with access to both magic and an enchanted rapier.

Irene – Fighting data insufficient.

Bedoop – A fighter that fights with a spear, allowing for pokes.

FalKoopa – Gauntlet-powered martial artist from a simulation game. Has power over water and sand.

SonicBrawler (Main Stance) – The Dr. Jekyll of the character’s stances. Meant to be an adventurer and more law-abiding than his Aaron counterpart.

Teh Epic Anna – Nerfed. Uses a spellbook and staff inherited from dragons. Has fire and water powers.

PsychoIncarnate – Fighting data insufficient.

Oni33 – Fighting data insufficient.

Champ Black – A Kunai fighter with ferrokinesis.

That was actually pretty fun. :p
Can I have the links to the quiz's and such mentioned above? I would like to try it out :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom