• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
ahhh FF8 and FFX games that made kingdom hearts better by leting you beat up their terrible protagonists
Ironic story.

I have two friends, one loves FF8 and the other loves FFX

And the FF8-fan HATES FFX and the FFX-fan hates FF8.

It's hilarious.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't think even the fans of ff8 can justify draw as a good idea.

Maybe it looks good on paper, but it was just hours of grinding in practice.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Squall was the only half decent character in that game though. :p
Quizzy is an 18 year old woman with her teaching degree, runs a cultishly-devoted card game league, and can devour beasts 10 times her size.
What the hell else are you looking for in a woman?
(Irvine is also hamazing)1

Maybe it looks good on paper, but it was just hours of grinding in practice.
Mechanically, it's bad.

"Story-wise" I've always taken it that people have gone so far on focus of Technology, that the only sources of any magical powers are being directly tied to godly forces and from draining it from monsters or the planet itself.
In a sense, it's another take on FF6 where the four people who naturally learned magic were: A Demi-God, An Ubermench of Magical Infusions, a very elderly sage, and his suprisingly-gifted grandaughter.

Last edited:
Having more than 3 sentences in the entire game :p
(Irvine is also hamazing)
Quistis cannot turn into a jar, a foot, Russian nesting dolls, or swords. Only Thanatos is hamazing.
Irvine was also my least favorite of the team.

It has potential. . .but as someone who wanted max stats and use, it was just obnoxious

Even worse is that you have to restock every time you use a few spells :/

I feel like it would have been better if you learned a spell by drawing it and that was the end of it. Just became a regular spell like the older games instead of having stock.

No idea what Draw: Cast would do though

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For some reason whenever i look at Shulk's design, i get reminded of Tidus.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Quizzy is an 18 year old woman with her teaching degree, runs a cultishly-devoted card game league, and can devour beasts 10 times her size.
(Irvine is also hamazing)1

Mechanically, it's bad.

"Story-wise" I've always taken it that people have gone so far on focus of Technology, that the only sources of any magical powers are being directly tied to godly forces and from draining it from monsters or the planet itself.
In a sense, it's another take on FF6 where the four people who naturally learned magic were: A Demi-God, An Ubermench of Magical Infusions, a very elderly sage, and his suprisingly-gifted grandaughter.
Actually they probably should have just used FF 6's mechnic for learning magic in FF 8. It would have fit with the GF's lore pretty well

You already learn abilities through them

Burruni

Smash Hero
Man.
You wanna talk about a lifeless cast though?
FF12.
Streetrat Vaan.
"Do you even have a reason to fight" Penelo.

Discount Han & Chewy, Balthier & Fran.

Terra Mc2, less esper edition: Ashe
And "muh honor, muh country": Basch.

I know I'm in a minority about that game but god it just hit a TON of sour notes.

Actually they probably should have just used FF 6's mechnic for learning magic in FF 8. It would have fit with the GF's lore pretty well

You already learn abilities through them
Honestly I kinda wish that, too.
Or at least, by hitting certain "bond levels" with GFs that it got related spells.

....Though the closest thing to a healing./supportive one was Siren and Cerberus, and 100% optional at that.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
One of my favorite moments in FF 8 was when Seifer KILLED ODIN

Then Gilgamesh comes out and attacks him, then joins you

Talking about optional GF's

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm getting a bit of a Danny Elfman vibe from this track...
dat glockenspiel dough...

Chapter 9 was rather interesting, reminded me of Ganon's Tower in Wind Waker where you had to go through different paths and the end of each path was a former boss you had to rebattle, Medusa's Boss fight was pretty neat as well...

BUT THAT ENTRANCE FOR HADES...rips through the supposed end credits like SURPRISE! I'M THE REAL VILLAIN HERE!!!...
talk about burying Medusa big time...

Then Viridi crashes the party in Chapter 11, literally with the Reset Bomb, that's actually a pretty neat concept how the bomb is this giant tangled forest...makes the Smash stage look rather lame in comparison

Last edited:
One of my favorite moments in FF 8 was when Seifer KILLED ODIN

Then Gilgamesh comes out and attacks him, then joins you

Talking about optional GF's
The final Seifer fight, IMO, is a real sign of how broken and awkward FF8 can be

Seifer had been a big deal for most of the game. Your rival at the beginning, he comes back from the dead, tortures you, etc. But it's clear he is meant to be important

He is the 2nd to last fight of Disc 1, the second to last AND half of the last fight of Disc 2, and the finakl fight of Disc 3

He leads the Galbadian Garden ion Disc 2 as well.

But after all that rivalry, Disc 3 is the end of his arc. It has a huge leadup with Ragnarok, and the final confrontation with Rai (excuse my use of KH name) and Fujin.

And the battle starts. Odin comes in and gets WASTED. This ultimate powerhouse gets oneshot. It's crazy! This will be an awesome battle for the ages against Squall's ultimate rival!

. . .Right?

Nope. Dead in about 3 seconds and only gets 2 attacks out. Was I a bit overleveled? Maybe. But at this point in the game how isn't Squall utterly broken?

Such a HUGE letdown for something with so much hype behind it. :/
I'm getting a bit of a Danny Elfman vibe from this track...
dat glockenspiel dough...

Chapter 9 was rather interesting, reminded me of Ganon's Tower in Wind Waker where you had to go through different paths and the end of each path was a former boss you had to rebattle, Medusa's Boss fight was pretty neat as well...

BUT THAT ENTRANCE FOR HADES...rips through the supposed end credits like SURPRISE! I'M THE REAL VILLAIN HERE!!!...

Then Viridi crashes the party in Chapter 11, literally with the Reset Bomb, that's actually a pretty neat concept how the bomb is this giant tangled forest...makes the Smash stage look rather lame in comparison
Fun fact: "Reset Bomb Forest" is my favorite song in KIU's extensive OST

It also does not play on the "Reset Bomb Forest" stage in smash. -_-

Chapters 11-14 are my favorite in the game to replay over and over. And that is before taking into account that Viridi is my favorite character in the game. Enjoy :p

Tell me about it. The old villain returns! Gets all this advertisement. . . Only shows up in 3 levels, one of which has nothing to do with her, and only has about 10 lines in the whole game.

Great use of character there. :p

EDIT: INB4 "Typo Master"

EDIT2 Yup. Even saying "Typo Master" has typos

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
FFVIII? It's my favorite entry in the Final Fantasy series. I vastly enjoy the characters and unique battle system. The new mechanics, despite being hard to work with at first, gave it a new feel while still keeping the basic gameplay intact. Twas great.

Only thing I didn't like was upgrading weapons, as it was harder than it should be.

Ivander

Smash Legend
For some reason whenever i look at Shulk's design, i get reminded of Tidus.
Well, they do have vests and shorts, even if Shulk's clothes are a bit more modern. They also have girls associated with summoning
and girls associated with machinery. Both also stop cycles.
Man.
You wanna talk about a lifeless cast though?
"Do you even have a reason to fight" Penelo.
*looks at Zidane, Riki and half the cast of FFVI*
Sometimes the best heroes don't need a reason. Sometimes just being there to help whenever is heroic enough.

That being said, XII still had a weak cast, although Vaan and Penelo do get better in their sequels.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't like FF XII

But, it is what I think should be the definitive world of FF

Maybe a spin off series focused on Ivalice

Title is scaring me >_>

RIP Social Thread 3.0

Only thing I didn't like was upgrading weapons, as it was harder than it should be.
I didn't upgrade the gunblade until late into Disc 2

I didn't upgrade Zell's weapon, the guy I had used from the beginning of the game and never switched out, until I got his ultimate weapon.

Yeah it was a bit jank to say the least >_>

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well, they do have vests and shorts, even if Shulk's clothes are a bit more modern. They also have girls associated with summoning
and girls associated with machinery. Both also stop cycles.

*looks at Zidane, Riki and half the cast of FFVI*
Sometimes the best heroes don't need a reason. Sometimes just being there to help whenever is heroic enough.

That being said, XII still had a weak cast, although Vaan and Penelo do get better in their sequels.
Riki fights because he actually thinks that he has the pride of his entire people behind him and that he is actually a destined hero who has a birthright for battle.

And yes about half of 6 suffers from this issue.
The thing is though is that in WoC you don't HAVE to get more than a handful of people back.

We call that Final Fantasy Tactics.
YEAH AND THEN OF ALL THE RACES FROM THAT SERIES WE GOT
Bangaa - turned from Monks, templars, and bishops into token dessert aliens
Moogle - maybe 5 exist and they just run guilds
Viera - waifu bait ewok/wookie.
Seeq - Made even more repulsive and primal.

No Mou? Gria? What are those?

The fact that of the 7 races of Ivalice, TWO are playable... one of a number of issues.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Riki fights because he actually thinks that he has the pride of his entire people behind him and that he is actually a destined hero who has a birthright for battle.

And yes about half of 6 suffers from this issue.
The thing is though is that in WoC you don't HAVE to get more than a handful of people back.

The fact that of the 7 races of Ivalice, TWO are playable... one of a number of issues.
I wanted a bangaa character in FF XII

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Well, can we all agree that Final Fantasy 13 sucked?
Never played it.

Why is there so even many Final Fantasies?

You get them all mixed up after a while.

And it doesn't really help that they're all in roman numerals...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well, can we all agree that Final Fantasy 13 sucked?
Honestly.
13 feels like the world design, gameplay, and story were all done by three entirely separate teams.

Such as the "tension" of one of the character route's cutting away with them having a gun to their head.
"I J-U-S-T got your summon as part of the plot. There's actually 0 reason why they'd go through the effort of making all that if they kill off the character just after getting this."

Ivander

Smash Legend

I would like to point out that the Seeq first debut IN Final Fantasy XII and Gria came AFTER XII. Still, I do agree that a Bangaa and maybe a Nu Mou should've been a playable character in XII. Moogles, not so much, but Montblanc could've been a cool Secret Playable character.

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Oh, hey, I just noticed.
Look down past my sig, will ya?

We're almost at the end.

I wasn't ready for this... What to type, what to type...

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I would like to point out that the Seeq first debut IN Final Fantasy XII and Gria came AFTER XII. Still, I do agree that a Bangaa and maybe a Nu Mou should've been a playable character in XII. Moogles, not so much, but Montblanc could've been a cool Secret Playable character.
I forgot that FFTA2 came out AFTER 12.
Nu Mou not appearing PERIOD in 12 feels very wrong.
And... honestly, not having a moogle playable sounds fine because they'd be a little awkwardly miniscule to everyone.... I just wish they had a bigger role in the world at large instead of jsut being Montblanc's family.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well I mean I hate to be that guy, but I'm fairly certain the "site glitching out after 2000 pages" thing has been fixed for a while now. :p Living proof is the Bob-Ombs thread which has several thousand. :laugh:

Honestly closing after 2000 is more of a tradition than anything else. Though it will mean I can't change the title anymore. :p

Red & Green

Just call me Red.
NNID
123Gallon
3DS FC
1332-8993-7355
Switch FC
1960-8956-3517
Well I mean I hate to be that guy, but I'm fairly certain the "site glitching out after 2000 pages" thing has been fixed for a while now. :p Living proof is the Bob-Ombs thread which has several thousand. :laugh:

Honestly closing after 2000 is more of a tradition than anything else. Though it will mean I can't change the title anymore. :p
Well, you can't really break tradition, you know?

Plus it's rather fun to start anew, like a new volume of a book or something.

Either way, whatever happens happens.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

When you stopped being a mod, you also gave up the right to change the title of the thread when you no longer specifically own it.

Ah, consequences. They're a harsh mistress. :p

But seriously, you had some really fun jokes with it. I hope the next one is just as great as ever~

Ivander

Smash Legend
I forgot that FFTA2 came out AFTER 12.
Nu Mou not appearing PERIOD in 12 feels very wrong.
And... honestly, not having a moogle playable sounds fine because they'd be a little awkwardly miniscule to everyone.... I just wish they had a bigger role in the world at large instead of jsut being Montblanc's family.
Nu Mou did actually appear in XII, although I think only 3 or 4 appeared. There was one where Montblanc was, not sure where the others were though, but they are in XII. This was what they looked like.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Looks like I woke up just in time. Almost new thread time!

D

Deleted member

This has been one of the longest threads that i have ever visited/watched, the other ones beign the Original Ridley and K.Rool threads on the SSB4 character discussion forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Nu Mou did actually appear in XII, although I think only 3 or 4 appeared. There was one where Montblanc was, not sure where the others were though, but they are in XII. This was what they looked like.
Well damn I NEVER noticed.
Maybe because they play 0 role in the story then.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I've been wanting a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance episode for the 3DS for as long as I've waited for Golden Sun 4 to rise. Brings me back.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Thread purge is imminent...

Been listening to some of the OST from Kid Icarus up to (approximately) where I've played...in an attempt to avoid major spoilers...
You get a better sense of a good soundtrack if you re-listen to it when you're not distracted by gameplay, dialogue, trying not to die, etc...Fire Emblem's actually a good example since some of the best tracks only occur for like 10 seconds spurts at a time and you don't get the chance to really appreciate it during the gameplay...

I would say so far, The Reaper's Line of Sight is my favourite from the game up to this point...

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Hopefully whoever makes the next thread is willing to go for some funny name changes for it themselves.

At any rate, may as well make my mark in history.

I've had some fun times here. May the next thread weave it's own memories.

Just thinking about it. . .next thread might be the thread in which we finally learn about the NX. We've certainly got some Pokemon news we're going to discuss there eventually.

Yup, we've got a bright future ahead of us. Let's just hope that we don't let go of what made the past so great in the process.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I've been wanting a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance episode for the 3DS for as long as I've waited for Golden Sun 4 to rise. Brings me back.
So much they can do, yet do so much they don't. Ivalice is definitely one of my favorite FF worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom