• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Surfing/Grinding DACUS

Aehetag

Smash Rookie
I have been a diehard smash fan since the beginning, but I only just now joined smashboards (better late than never)... anywho, I was playing around with Sonic trying to refine my timing for grinding, DACUS, and perfect ASC one day and decided to try a grind into a DACUS...
It is quite useful; it covers the full length of final destination if it's timed perfectly.
In case it's not clear, the input would be:
Smash control stick > neutral control stick > control stick up/horizantal tilt > c-stick down > Up + Z
May look complicated, but mastering each of the two parts separately makes this easier.

Applications:
A perfect getaway; cool looking too.
Haven't mastered it yet, but you can do the most epic ally oop to yourself (sorry I haven't any video hardware/software to show an example). Opponents will generally not see it coming, be put in good KO position and will likely be too disoriented to react properly.

Sorry if this has already been discussed; I looked through most of the stickies but there is way too much to read.
I'm proposing naming this either Surfing DACUS or Grinding DACUS, of which I personally prefer Surfing DACUS.
Discuss, video post, opiniate please

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
A foxtrotted/delayed DACUS?

*Insert Sonic Side-Taunt here.*

Also there is a lot to learn about Sonic. There's little way we could make the stickies less lengthy/better detailed.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Full length of FD? So it works something like the DACUS we can pull off at Pokemon Stadium 2 on the Ice Transformation?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
grinding sucks. dacus starts up fast enough and covers enough distance that grinding would just ruin it. grinding leaves you totally vulnerable. the opponent isn't gonna stop and be like "WHOA, how can he do that?". He's gonna be like "LOL, he's sliding right at me". DACUS has that element of suprise to it, trying to grind beforehand would just defeat the purpose. also, we don't need a title for this...it's just a grind into a DACUS. some call it surfing, but i think the majority of us have been calling it grinding? it's more sonic-esque imo.

Kinzer has the right idea with delayed DACUS, that works from time to time.

but uh. old info is old.

:093:

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Foxtrot (not grinding) into DACUS is another mix up with DDP. And I agree, grinding is too slow to be effective.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Wait a minute, apparently my definition of grinding is different from the majority's.

Isn't that just the lag you normally get from a foxtrot if you don't cancel it into a dashdance/another run/a Dash attack/DACUS?

Aehetag

Smash Rookie
Well, I was thinking that this could be used after sending the opponent across the stage. And yes I agree it is slower than simply dashing and DACUS; however, that period of time where you dash but then seemingly give up on the pursuit midway can be good for mindgames.
You can use this to mix up the pace at which you pursue. I hope my potentially faulty terminology hasn't compromised the interpretation of what this does.
*Grinding, I thought, was a foxtrot into the glide that only Sonic can do
You can:
smash them across the stage and quickly dash across and DACUS and try to catch them, or
smash them across and grind into DACUS (when they might have expected a quicker attack), or
smash them across and grind and do nothing (potentially punish after if they expected the above), or
smash them across and grind into SDSC if they come back towards you, which you can then punish

Umby

Smash Master
Wait a minute, apparently my definition of grinding is different from the majority's.

Isn't that just the lag you normally get from a foxtrot if you don't cancel it into a dashdance/another run/a Dash attack/DACUS?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdiAKWTfgo

Well, I was thinking that this could be used after sending the opponent across the stage. And yes I agree it is slower than simply dashing and DACUS; however, that period of time where you dash but then seemingly give up on the pursuit midway can be good for mindgames.
You can use this to mix up the pace at which you pursue. I hope my potentially faulty terminology hasn't compromised the interpretation of what this does.
*Grinding, I thought, was a foxtrot into the glide that only Sonic can do
You can:
smash them across the stage and quickly dash across and DACUS and try to catch them, or
smash them across and grind into DACUS (when they might have expected a quicker attack), or
smash them across and grind and do nothing (potentially punish after if they expected the above), or
smash them across and grind into SDSC if they come back towards you, which you can then punish
While I like the way you're thinking about this, my only problem with grinding to accomplish mixups is that it limits your options until the animation is done. With DDP, foxtrotting, and regular pivoting, you have more that you can do without waiting too long from movement animation to do it. I wouldn't completely rule it out, though. I'm sure there's a few situational things where grinding could be more advantageous.

Umby

Smash Master
OK, I can see what you mean. Now, when you say grinding limits your options, what do you mean exactly?
It's probably just me, based on how I move on the ground/input motions, but when I grind, I feel like I can't turn around or stop fast enough to buffer what I want to do next. Like I'm stuck for a split second and highly vulnerable if the opponent calls me on what I'm doing.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah. But you can turn a grind into an initial-dash by tapping forward, and in the initial dash you are free (ex. Fsmash). Grind is less limiting when you find out how you can initial-dash-cancel or jump-cancel or side-B (possible shield-cancel) out of it, but it's still extra time (and tedious techskill) in order to have your basic functionality back. Too bad rly.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
completely pointless in competitive sonic gaming, and possibly not even related to this... but how does one run slow with Sonic again? i forgot how to do it... :(

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
completely pointless in competitive sonic gaming, and possibly not even related to this... but how does one run slow with Sonic again? i forgot how to do it... :(
Fox trot, let go of the control stick then tilt it slowly forawrds.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah, errbody can do it too, not just Sonic. Although, Sonic's is probably the most way past cool.

:093:

Top Bottom