• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SuPeRbOoM vs. The Z

Zenyore

Banned via Warnings
Today two drops of Canadian smash creme (including the mysterious Z) had a showdown and I was somehow lucky enough to catch a glimpse of footage.

Since my PJ64k crashed whilst in playback client, I could only record one full length match.
We had a bunch of Falcon dittos and I lost every single one of them (lost both matches and the footage), but we will have more in the future.

For now, enjoy this high-quality gameplay with sound.

Zenyore

Banned via Warnings
Fun fact : When the camera isn't blurring the text, you can see Z wrote "hopefully it won't crash or ds in playback"

Fun fact #2 : At 2:16 me and Boom are as close as we could get without having sex and don't touch each other for about 8 seconds.

Fun fact #3 : I haven't set the deadzone on my broken controller hence my practically nonexistent DI

Fun fact #4 : I am in no way related to the Z

Fun fact #5 : This is p2p, hence a loss in this case changes nothing whatsoever to the Z's GALAXY CHAMP title

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I always wanted to see you and boom do falcon dittos. Make sure you record some of those especially once you knock the rustiness off. ;)

If you need the full version of fraps just message me.

Zenyore

Banned via Warnings
@Nova I wouldn't mind fetching Fraps, thanks.

@Sheer if a hot girl was to send you a strip video, would you complain about the quality ? Yes, this applies to this context as well

banze

Smash Journeyman
that match was a pretty cool match, on a very fast playing style!
as good as a strip from a hot girl I could say ;]

Zenyore

Banned via Warnings
I suppose Z temporarily hacked your account just to add in fun fact #2. He's that good.
I thought that for the matter of avoiding confusion due to the mutual initial letter I would refer to myself as Z on occasion, which is why I later cleared it up in fun fact 4.

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^You only have to use one at a time.

Don't be dense.

Dense
a : marked by compactness or crowding together of parts <dense vegetation> <dense traffic>
b : having a high mass per unit volume <carbon dioxide is a dense gas>

a : slow to understand : stupid, thickheaded <was too dense to get the joke>
b : extreme <dense ignorance>

Guess which one I'm using.

B Link

Smash Lord
A good rule of thumb to follow: be a charitable interpreter & reader. As long as the intended message gets through, word choice/grammar etc. is not that important.

Also, don't be so quick to cite definitions from the dictionary lol. Lexicographers (hopefully) cite US (people, society) humans when they create those definitions. Word meanings can change at anytime if enough people start using it that way.

To make post relevant to thread: zomg moar vids pl0x

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^I know. Posts like King Omega/Cobr's make me roll my eyes.

Also, I get annoyed at peeps on this forum:

a) Getting "confused" or correcting people when they know exactly what the message means.

b) Jumping on Sheer about everything he says for no god damn reason.

Y'all need to get as technical IN SMASH as you are on these forums.
*stares at guilty parties*

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Lol thnx no but no need to worry about me TANKLIN. Can't nobody on these forums break my stride. I clearly used infer correctly.

But yah even if someone used something incorrectly but it's clear what they meant, no point in correcting them IMO.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
i don't correct people for the sake of correcting them or to make them out to look like they're dumb or anything. believe it or not, it's basically altruistic - you don't want to sound half educated. same reason i've been correcting people who mistake "good" for "well" or use "was" after the conditional "if". though i will admit i did not actively attempt to correct sheer.

but, sheer, you used the lesser known definition that has the superior word within the definition itself. you meant imply, but you said infer, then quoted the definition which, we found out, meant imply anyway, so why not just use imply in the first place? i also nearly quoted the fifth definition, but i guess you could argue there was an object of infer and it was "that this video...", despite it being a complex object (i think that's what it's called, anyway. i have retained a ****load of grammar knowledge but some terms escape me..).

and tank, i'd even disagree with your definition. you'd want pigheaded over thickheaded, because it's not like i didn't understand the dude. ya dig?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I wanted to use a word that means suggest, without using suggest. Infer was the first word that popped in my head. The dictionary seems to have my back.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with me using infer. Telling people on smashboards that their word choice was technically correct, but inferior is just being a douche. This is an internet video game forum, not english class.

PWN.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
oh sheer. the lengths to which you'll go to preserve your pride on an internet video game forum astound me :awesome:

but okay. always use infer in place of imply or suggest. if anyone contradicts you, just quote definition #4.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Whatever you say bud.

In person do you consistently stop people mid conversation to inform them of their inferior diction/word choice? I'm betting you don't, because most people don't have the balls. And it's a douchey thing to do. Especially if the word choice they used fit the context fine.

Do you honestly disagree?

And you're right. I've always used infer in place of other synonyms 100% of the time throughout my life. lol...

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
when their sentence has been spoken, and the word or phrase in question is something like infer in place of imply (which, granted, has never been uttered in my presence, but if it were, i'd probably tell them about this little conversation we're having), or good instead of well, or subsequently instead of consequently, or axed instead of asked, then yes, i do correct them.

usually, people hate to be corrected because of pride (ahem). however, others do benefit from it - my mother and grandmother, for instance, now always use good and well properly. so yes, i do disagree on it being a douchey thing to do, because i'm not doing to be a douche, i'm doing it so people don't sound dumb when they aren't. i would hate to go to a job interview and completely misuse a word and then my potential employer thinks i'm a smartass and doesn't hire me. it's the little things. (protip: don't wear red to an interview. it's aggressive.)

i can almost guarantee most people would misunderstand you if you used infer instead of imply, and because of that, it would be the wrong word to use, despite it being correct in its definition. do you get what i mean?

Zenyore

Banned via Warnings
when their sentence has been spoken, and the word or phrase in question is something like infer in place of imply (which, granted, has never been uttered in my presence, but if it were, i'd probably tell them about this little conversation we're having), or good instead of well, or subsequently instead of consequently, or axed instead of asked, then yes, i do correct them.

usually, people hate to be corrected because of pride (ahem). however, others do benefit from it - my mother and grandmother, for instance, now always use good and well properly. so yes, i do disagree on it being a douchey thing to do, because i'm not doing to be a douche, i'm doing it so people don't sound dumb when they aren't. i would hate to go to a job interview and completely misuse a word and then my potential employer thinks i'm a smartass and doesn't hire me. it's the little things. (protip: don't wear red to an interview. it's aggressive.)

i can almost guarantee most people would misunderstand you if you used infer instead of imply, and because of that, it would be the wrong word to use, despite it being correct in its definition. do you get what i mean?
Go to sleep

SheerMadness

Smash Master
To me (the viewer), the poor video quality (evidence) inferred that it was recorded by a loaf of bread.

Infer does mean drawing a conclusion based on evidence does it not?

And no cobr, I don't agree. Infer and Imply are used so exchangeably these days I'm pretty sure most everyone would understand me even If I were to use it wrong.

BTW get pwned Z's thread.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
I've never seen Sheer win an argument on this site. I don't know what's up, he seems pretty smart, and skilled at the game.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
so last night when i came home drunk i was thinking about this and transitive/intransitive verbs popped into my head, and lo and behold, i did some searching and came up with this: http://grammartips.homestead.com/imply.html (this was merely a train of thought kind of thing and has nothing to do with actual tr/intr verbs)

video quality infers that this was recorded by a loaf of bread.
you can infer from the video quality that it was recorded by a loaf of bread, but the video quality itself cannot do that. it can only imply that it was recorded by a loaf of bread. because video quality, in this case, is not the receiver of the message, it is the sender.

there is also this: http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/imply.html

the first part supports your statement that everyone uses them interchangeably, but the rest backs my argument up.

and just to make a point of it:
To me (the viewer), the poor video quality (evidence) inferred that it was recorded by a loaf of bread.

Infer does mean drawing a conclusion based on evidence does it not?
yes, infer does mean to draw a conclusion based on evidence. your statement, therefore, means, "the poor video quality drew the conclusion that it was recorded by a loaf of bread". and if you add the "to me (the viewer) you just look like a psycho who thinks video quality can draw conclusions of its own will. grammatically, anyway. that is why you would use imply. to you, the viewer, the poor quality implies it was recorded via the aforementioned method.

i hope this helps.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yah the video itself obviously can't infer, or think on it's own haha. I meant that I was inferring from video quality. Only a person can infer, so I should have included "I" in there somewhere. But I figured most people would realize I wasn't actually saying the video itself was doing the inferring. But infer was the word I wanted. I was drawing a conclusion based on the poor video quality as evidence.

I'll admit I actually just thought imply/infer were synonyms, and while they are used that way by a large portion of world, I researched it and found the difference. I asked a bunch of people yesterday if they knew the difference between imply/infer and most of them just considered them to be similar synonyms. These were all well educated people, most with masters degrees. So I'm going to venture to say that most people don't know the difference these days.

Actually from my research infer was originally used and meant to be synonymous with imply. At some point in the 19th or 20th century usage guides began to condemn that type of usage for whatever reason. These days mass usage as them being synonymous seems to be gaining traction again. Resulting in dictionaries to add the 4th definition "to hint; imply; suggest".

Interesting stuff.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
yeah english is a ****ed up language in all respects (it's a germanic language with romantic rules, i think? i'm not a linguistics major but it's something odd like that). and when people start claiming irregardless and regardless mean the same thing (they do - by definition, sorta like flammable and inflammable), that's when **** gets out of hand.

I asked a bunch of people yesterday if they knew the difference between imply/infer and most of them just considered them to be similar synonyms. These were all well educated people, most with masters degrees.
eh i wouldn't expect a person with an MA in, like, math to know the difference. i hope you weren't asking chem engineers or something haha

but yes. you were inferring from the video, and the video was implying. unless the video GAINED SENTIENCE

The Star King

Smash Hero
I knew the difference and I'm definitely not going into English or anything.

I kind of like grammar though (not that I bother writing correctly on Smashboards) so yeah.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
eh i wouldn't expect a person with an MA in, like, math to know the difference. i hope you weren't asking chem engineers or something haha
Imply is a very well defined phrase in mathematical logic, I think they would know the difference. But I agree that if you didn't ask about a math word, mathematicians would be the wrong people to ask about contrasting the meanings of similar words, especially for how ambiguous English is.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

Cobr i agree that the word imply would have made a bit more sense in the context, but its still pretty douchey to correct him considering that the meaning of his sentence was still very obvious. Try correcting your potential employer in a job interview and see if you get the job xD grammer nazis are the worst

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
grammer nazis are the worst
grammer nazis
*twitch*

but, sigh, marbles, i only went as far as i did because sheer was so adamant about being correct (not because, according to tank, everyone jumps at sheer all the time and i wanted to follow the trend). i showed him both subjective and objective reasons as to why he was mistaken.

as for potential employment, considering i've been applying for editorial assistant positions, looking for openings on creative teams that would have me writing and checking others' work, and trying to find a spot as a ****ing proofreader -- well, correcting people and their work is pretty much a goddamn requirement.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
there you go again lol, but no im not disputing your imply vs infer argument, just saying its kinda douchey to correct someone outta the blue when their meaning is completely clear. If i corrected someone from Georgia for saying yall instead of you all i would expect them to be irritated at me. But then again your weren't even the main culprit it was king omega that started this mess lol
as for potential employment, considering i've been applying for editorial assistant positions, looking for openings on creative teams that would have me writing and checking others' work, and trying to find a spot as a ****ing proofreader -- well, correcting people and their work is pretty much a goddamn requirement.
well damn i stand corrected

Top Bottom