• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Flash 2

SSF2 Beta, new characters and new sprites look awesome. Can't wait, hopefully Beta will be released in sometime next year, as I don't see it getting released during this year.

I also like how they're adding more Nintendo characters in the roster, the original roster had too many third-parties and non-video game characters imo. BTW, after Luigi's confirmation it seems that only characters from SSF that haven't been confirmed or deconfirmed are Mewtwo, Knuckles, Shadow, Cloud and Crono.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
SSF2 Beta, new characters and new sprites look awesome. Can't wait, hopefully Beta will be released in sometime next year, as I don't see it getting released during this year.

I also like how they're adding more Nintendo characters in the roster, the original roster had too many third-parties and non-video game characters imo. BTW, after Luigi's confirmation it seems that only characters from SSF that haven't been confirmed or deconfirmed are Mewtwo, Knuckles, Shadow, Cloud and Crono.
Depending on how it's coded, Shadow could show up as an alt for Sonic. I'd love to see Mewtwo and Roy (Smash4 version) show up.

Confirm/deny?

Depending on how it's coded, Shadow could show up as an alt for Sonic. I'd love to see Mewtwo and Roy (Smash4 version) show up.

Confirm/deny?
Yes, Shadow might appear as palette swap for Sonic (alt costumes are not happening according to devs) if he has been cut from the roster. Mewtwo will probably be in SSF2, he was in SSF and also was in the original roster. Don't know about Roy, he was not in the original roster, which didn't have any FE characters.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I wonder why Mega Man was given a redesign anyways. I actually really prefer the MM7 sprites and unique style it gave the character in comparison. Why rebalance the character and adopt the Smash 4 artstyle?

i mean if he no longer has the same side taunt there's gonna be a problem

Last edited:
I wonder why Mega Man was given a redesign anyways. I actually really prefer the MM7 sprites and unique style it gave the character in comparison. Why rebalance the character and adopt the Smash 4 artstyle?

i mean if he no longer has the same side taunt there's gonna be a problem
I hope they don't change Mega Man's moveset completely to the SSB4 one. They created a decent moveset for him themselves, why throw it away after all the work spent on it?

I still don't understand why they scrapped Fire Mario in favor of Mario Finale, Fire Mario was so much better Final Smash for him.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
The less untouched sprites we have in the game the better. Not only does it help for copyright purposes to not have directly-ripped sprites... but it also just allows us to have a cohesive style that is consistent across all of our characters.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
The less untouched sprites we have in the game the better. Not only does it help for copyright purposes to not have directly-ripped sprites... but it also just allows us to have a cohesive style that is consistent across all of our characters.
FYI, under US law that's not going to help you in any way. Derivative works, especially if they're not changed much, are seen by the law as identical to the original work in most respects. There are exceptions for fair use, but I don't think fair use could be successfully argued in the context we're using.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
FYI, under US law that's not going to help you in any way. Derivative works, especially if they're not changed much, are seen by the law as identical to the original work in most respects. There are exceptions for fair use, but I don't think fair use could be successfully argued in the context we're using.
Not saying we're immune by any means, just saying it is a step in the right direction.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I need to try this out... probably going to tomorrow on lunch break at work. It looks like so much fun.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
psst

I'm pretty sure this has been said a couple of times before, but please online mode a 1v1 option.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Really hoping to become a playtester for Beta. I've been watching this game grow since the very start and I really want to help out in some way, unfortunately, I'm not really good at much, so playtesting is the one thing I can do. Can't believe how far the game has come though. I remember when there were still test stages and Mario's Side B was FLUDD.

Unlike a certain other Smash fan game... *cough* Crusade *cough*

Last edited by a moderator:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
I'm exited for all the new characters that will be coming out.

Especially Issac. I'm interested to see how he'll fin into the game.

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
I kinda have a concerns in terms of the well-being of this game and it's development. That's not to say I don't believe in the the team working on it (what reason do I have? It's turned out amazing so far) but these things don't seem to be very good for the game.

1. The framerate. This game runs at 30 FPS. That is half of the framerate that any Smash game has run at. Even Smash 64 ran at 60. Because of this, one frame means much more than any other Smash game. A frame one move appears to come out twice as fast as a result.

2. The graphical fidelity/art style. Even for the nicer looking sprites, this game is just a trainwreck to look at sometimes. The spritework is nice, but it is FAR too low-res. It makes animations hard to read and it makes the game overall visually jarring.

3. Flash. The fact that a project this ambitious is done in Flash is commendable, but I think that it hurts the game in the long run. Smash Flash 2 doesn't run very well on a lot of computers, and I think Flash is to blame, as it isn't a dedicated game engine. If this were done in Game Maker, it would run without issue on a toaster. My computer is pretty decent and I still have to run it with low quality settings and I still get hiccups. In fact, my computer runs actual Melee better than it runs this game, if that's a better way of putting it.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Honestly? I really want to stick with this game, but I for some reason get the feeling that beta will have similar balance problems to the current build. Things like DK's armor, Shiek's f-air, Pickachu's d-spec, and other over barring character properties really made me regress from playing this game. Hopefully all the new content will be able to hold me over and the games balance increases tremendously.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Same. Apex would be great to show off all of the new items, fighters and stages. Speaking of which, did anyone see that new firework item? Looks awesome imo. These new changes are going to convince me to play casually more every now and then.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Last edited:

Treedot

Smash Journeyman

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Ah okay. Well I saw you said no fan characters, so I assumed that's what that meant.
Ah, fan characters is mostly referring to Blade and Blue from Super Smash Flash 1, which were Sonic fan characters with knives. Basically any notable characters that have been in Nintendo games are eligible for this one.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm still a little sad that SSF2 won't be a t APEX this year. :(

Hopefully I don't have to wait too long for another reveal to make up for it.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Being at Super Smash Con is cool though and I've heard that a lot of people are avoiding Apex this year anyway due to organization/venue issues and it taking place only five days before CEO (another east coast major). It's a shame that it won't be at Apex though since that's the major yearly Smash tournament that I'd be able to go to since I'm in Jersey.

Link to the the confirmation and other SSF2 2016 plans in case people haven't read Cleod's post yet: http://forums.mcleodgaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=42694&p=1436338#p1436338

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Effects are looking criiiiiisp. All of those little graphical changes are going to make the game so much better to play and look at. Hopefully they can convince some others who were turned off at first as well.

Beta is going to be amazing! Can't wait for it to finally come.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
SANDBAG IS A LEGIT NEWCOMMER!!??

Best April Fools stunt EVER.

That Sandbag trailer did look like it took a lot of hard labor to just be a simple joke, which made me questioned if this was an actual April Fools stunt.

I mean, compare Sandbag's trailer and Mr. Incredible's April Fools trailer from 2014:

Unless he was a WIP or intentionally emulating the feel of SSF1, Mr. Incredible's trailer felt EXTREMELY rushed with the bare minimum amount of animations (idle, walk, run, jump, and only one attack), which made me believe it was just a pre-existing character with a fraction of their graphics replaced with Mr. Incredible sprites.

Sandbag's trailer, on the other hand, had the same amount of quality as previous SSF2 newcomer trailers: fluid and clever animations, a number of combo montages, and a moveset that felt finished & functional.

Plus Mr. Incredible showed off about 20 seconds of "gameplay" while Sandbag was a whole minute. BIG difference.

With FIVE characters now announced for SSF2 Beta, the wait for its release is now more troublesome. HYPE GET!

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So...
I feel like we should unite. A Sandbag legion if you will.

Last edited:
Top Bottom