• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

Mario123311

Smash Ace
How come I see people modifying their games to reckon characters on YouTube? Why can't I do it though? I really don't see why it shouldn't be the option, I really can't say I'm too pleased with the presence of characters like Geno and Klonoa... Is there a specific reason why Reskinning was removed or so? I tried asking on the Crusade forum and all I got was "Modification of Crusade is not appreciated." ....Why exactly though? :S

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Maybe it's because I have tastes that are just different than everyone elses? Seriously though, How many times do you see Goku, Ridley and Klonoa on "Most Wanted" lists at this point... They really don't deserve to be in a Smash game in all honesty.

....But that's aside the point: Why was reskinning taken out? Did somebody just happen to start exploiting something with it?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Maybe it's because I have tastes that are just different than everyone elses? Seriously though, How many times do you see Goku, Ridley and Klonoa on "Most Wanted" lists at this point... They really don't deserve to be in a Smash game in all honesty.

....But that's aside the point: Why was reskinning taken out? Did somebody just happen to start exploiting something with it?
No, you don't. They're fun characters that people never know they wanted. Also, Ridley fans are still trying their best. And Goku is basically a tradition in Smash fangames by now.

What are you even talking about with reskinning?

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I've seen several videos of old versions of the game having Gooey reskinned to Pac-Man and whatnot. But the format for the character sprites seems to have been changed meaning it's no longer possible.

There is kind of a reason I just cringe when I have to see Goku or said characters in. Maybe if I had the option to Reskin them ((make them another character but technically they would still be there, coding wise)) to some characters I think are more Smash worthy I would probably be a bit more satisfied, but they removed it for no good reason apparently.

Meshmaster101

Smash Cadet
I've seen several videos of old versions of the game having Gooey reskinned to Pac-Man and whatnot. But the format for the character sprites seems to have been changed meaning it's no longer possible.

There is kind of a reason I just cringe when I have to see Goku or said characters in. Maybe if I had the option to Reskin them ((make them another character but technically they would still be there, coding wise)) to some characters I think are more Smash worthy I would probably be a bit more satisfied, but they removed it for no good reason apparently.
They probably removed it because, if some makes a really crude reskin, people uneducated about the game will think the devs did it, and they won't download the game.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
They probably removed it because, if some makes a really crude reskin, people uneducated about the game will think the devs did it, and they won't download the game.
^ Pretty much this. Another reason why we did this is to prevent others from easily hijacking sprites created specifically for the game and other resources without asking for permission.

We might eventually look into implementing some kind of mod support, but as it stands now, you need to either play 0.9.0 as is or keep playing 0.8.4 for mods.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Since there's no stream, will those who didn't go to Smash Con see anything news related sometime after it ends?

Dustination

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dustination
3DS FC
5215-1019-9015
Another reason Crusade no longer has mod support is because there have been numerous instances where a person will re-skin the entire game and claim it as their own. I told you on the forum it was not appreciated, I'm not sure what kind of answer you expected by coming here. A better solution would have been to come back to the forum and suggest the characters you want to be added, rather than complain about the ones that are already in.

May I also remind you one of the characters you wanted added was Doom Guy, who could just as easily be seen in the same light as you see Klonoa, etc.

-----

@ Wario Bros. Wario Bros.
Expect something soon. Unfortunately we were requested not to stream, so we apologize for that.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I mainly was just wondering the exact reason and so on, You really didn't give me any other explanation as to why originally which is just why I came to ask... Mod support would be nice if you can ever look into it at some point, But I can definently see why you don't want reskinning as of now after reading what you said. So, I got a much better answer here than I did there.

I by no means really hate/dislike this game, I think it's quite an astonishing amount of effort and quite impressive for a Gamemaker title, really. Even though I don't like a few characters in it, so be it I guess. If you are wondering why characters like Klonoa have left a sour taste in my mouth, it more so has to do with fanboys who would go out of their way to even say Pac-Man doesn't deserve to be in Smash for some reason. ((And they would call said character "uninteresting"... When honestly Klonoa looks even more generic than Bubsy for me IMO))

The roster still beats SSF2 by a longshot though.

I still would have gone with Sailor Moon over Goku IMO, just saying. :U

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
You do realize this is just a fan game. You may as well ask why characters like Phoenix Wright, Ristar and even Crash Bandicoot are in the game.

Dustination

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dustination
3DS FC
5215-1019-9015

Hello Crusade fans! Thank you to everyone who was able to make it out to Super Smash Con and try the latest demo of Crusade! We will have pictures and footage for you to view uploaded soon.

Even though the convention has ended, the excitement does not stop there. We are happy to officially announce that we will be broadcasting a brand new direct-style trailer showcasing some of the content you can look forward to in Crusade v0.9.1! The trailer is scheduled to be streamed on Saturday, August 15th. We hope you all can make it! Check back soon for official times.​

Mario123311

Smash Ace
ristar was iconic?
If you look at how well received his game was in the 90's then petty much he was. Just a character than isn't used these days sadly (Along with Billy Hatcher) despite being listed in things like Nintendo Power and so on.

But aside from that: It would probably be a good idea if you do look into allowing modification to put your names and claim as actual "text" rather than anything else so that nobody can basically get away with plagiarizing the whole game if the titlescreen has the engine and so on names there. ((Something MUGEN tends to even do as far as I know))

....If you decide to add Martin T. Sherman as an option for Pac-Man's voice I'll give you a point though, just saying. ((I have a few of his clips ripped and so on. All taken from Pac-Man World 3))

I still think Sailor Moon is the only real Fourth Party anime character that would Interest me or get me excited. But I'm not going to argue.

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
My point was, it's a fan game not being made by Nintendo. The developers can add whoever they want. They just choose to have a limit. (Heck they could add Freddy Fazbear if they wanted to)

But I'm not hear to argue. Let's just forget about it and discuss something else.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Um, Ristar was well received sure, but it didn't sell like at all. Sales usually are a big part of what makes a character iconic since a game that sells generally becomes well known.

Never really heard of Ristar till I actually looked up some ol' Genesis games.

- - -
But either way, Croc's right. It's a fan game, I think the point is to add characters you'd never really see in Smash Brothers. Though, I don't know what you mean by the characters being derived from youtube most wanted lists. The characters are decided by what people actually would want to see in Smash and who'd fit in as an interesting unique fighter.

Of course characters that pop up in people's most wanted lists would probably show up, they're characters people would want to see make it into Smash.

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
I just don't see Geno or anyone being interesting really, and having to hear them all the time just makes me annoyed. (I just REALLY don't think they fit the atmosphere or be "unique" or anything) But for now I think I'm going to drop this...

I'll upload Pac-Man's voice clips to the forum of you ever want to use 'em. But yeah.

Last edited:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
fit what atmosphere? have you seen smash4's roster?

this is a fangame made by a small group of people and our views on character inclusion don't even fully align. of course people are going to have different opinions about characters we decide on, and that's ok. we're all different people.

one of the differences being that some people are making the game and others have almost nothing to do with the development process.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
http://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t4180-voice-for-pac-man-optional#100840

Uploaded his PMW3 voice clips. I just think it would be a neat little DLC or something if it was an option.

fit what atmosphere? have you seen smash4's roster?

this is a fangame made by a small group of people and our views on character inclusion don't even fully align. of course people are going to have different opinions about characters we decide on, and that's ok. we're all different people.

one of the differences being that some people are making the game and others have almost nothing to do with the development process.
I think most of the characters in 4 fit just fine aside from probably Dark Pit, who was a waste of a character slot. But I'm not here to argue, it seems you do at least understand though: I'm not here to tell you to change anything. Modding support in the future would make me (and a few other people) happy in the future if you can do so though... Probably do so when it's in it's final stages.

I'll probably go suggest a few characters I would love to see in on the forum though... Giana would be awesome.

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Hey, controversial man with controversial opinions (not really) here. Some you already know me so I'll cut right to the chase.

I just watched the trailer for v0.9.1, and I'm here to give my thoughts on it. Some of you probably don't care about what I have to say for certain reasons, but hey, @ Dustination Dustination seemed eager to hear out actual criticism from me instead of mindless bashing out of boredom so I'm going to talk about how I feel about what I saw seriously this time.

Keep in mind the last time I played this was so long ago I don't think even lord knows when exactly that was so I'm basing my opinions on what I remember from a version from probably 2011, 2013 or something.
Visual Improvements
  • I have to give props for the victory screen and shield improvements. The shields in particular actually look fairly nice.
  • That character art is in need of some serious revamping. It's already bad enough that the direction for sprites is all over the place, the art for the characters' profiles doesn't help one bit. You clearly state that the sprites are going to be getting overhauled over time, so I'll cut some slack there, but that art is still... not good.
  • The comparisons you show between the previous version and this new one as far as animation stiffness goes don't look too different from one another at all. In fact, I believe the cause for this is that the animations you guys make and use are lacking in the amount of frames. It's not so much that it looks stiff (I mean it still does kinda, for many characters), but rather the posture changes that happen within an animation just happen incredibly quick, almost like it's skipping from one part to the other with nothing in between to make it play out smoothly, if that makes sense. You can also kinda notice what I mean by the incredibly awkward looking idle/stance animations, where characters just pixel shift up and down at a fast pace. It doesn't look horrible, but I don't feel it's presentable either.
Character Improvements
  • I'm liking Goku's direction, but I won't give it proper sentence until I try this out for myself. For now, the short clip of him performing crazy teleportation combos looked crisp and unique, which is good. Oh and while I'm still talking about Goku, that weird, really fast pixel shifting idle animation thing I mentioned? Yeah, he has one, it's incredibly obvious, and it looks bad. Just reiterating so if someone watches the video while reading up on this, you can tell what I meant.
  • I don't like Ryu's Focus Attack at all. Visually, anyway. It's probably pretty difficult to replicate the whole ink thing that he does in SF4 and Smash, but still. Couldn't you guys make it like an in-engine effect like with shields and whatnot, instead of part of the sprite (sheet)? Something to make it more obvious that he's charging up FA other than just being stuck in the same 1 frame while shaking in place would be nice and helpful.
King of the Ring
  • Not much to say here, the idea is good and the execution seems fine too.
Global Gameplay Changes
  • Character sizes, knockback and blast zone adjustmens are all good. The thing about jumps is also good, same with wavedashing and individual air dodge styles.
  • The "grab tech" thing sounds interesting. I don't think it'll be too detrimental and it's in many other fighters anyway so hey, I'll give props for taking the idea and giving it to a Smash-style game where that'll probably never be used (except the lack of grab armor in Smash 4 kinda works like that).
  • Built-in Controller configuration and joypad support. Yes. The fact that it works with analog presses for Melee-esque light-shields is great. Really glad this is now a thing that's been taken care of. Which BTW, liking that shields have this feature now, as well as having the ability to tilt them slightly and smoothly just like in the real games. I also like that it has actual support for joystick sensitivity with specific moves and the like.
I don't really care about the rest of the stuff since I'd never really play it unless forced to (for unlocks for example), so I won't cover that.

Well, since I'm done with that, all I have to say is, I'm impressed. There's a lot of good things in this trailer that overshadow the bad, but that's not to say it still needs fixes and improvements. I'm personally hoping the art direction (both sprites and character art) get revamped, because I just don't find the quality of it acceptable enough yet. That's just me though. Other than that I'm hoping that the game doesn't feel incredibly heavy, it felt like everyone had Melee Fox physics. Wasn't exactly a fan of that back in the day.

Anyway yeah that's it. A more serious approach to giving you guys my opinion for those that wanted it or cared for one. If you didn't though that's cool too. If I need to elaborate further on things just ask me I guess. Yeah.

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Hey, controversial man with controversial opinions (not really) here. Some you already know me so I'll cut right to the chase.

I just watched the trailer for v0.9.1, and I'm here to give my thoughts on it. Some of you probably don't care about what I have to say for certain reasons, but hey, @ Dustination Dustination seemed eager to hear out actual criticism from me instead of mindless bashing out of boredom so I'm going to talk about how I feel about what I saw seriously this time.

Keep in mind the last time I played this was so long ago I don't think even lord knows when exactly that was so I'm basing my opinions on what I remember from a version from probably 2011, 2013 or something.
Visual Improvements
  • I have to give props for the victory screen and shield improvements. The shields in particular actually look fairly nice.
  • That character art is in need of some serious revamping. It's already bad enough that the direction for sprites is all over the place, the art for the characters' profiles doesn't help one bit. You clearly state that the sprites are going to be getting overhauled over time, so I'll cut some slack there, but that art is still... not good.
  • The comparisons you show between the previous version and this new one as far as animation stiffness goes don't look too different from one another at all. In fact, I believe the cause for this is that the animations you guys make and use are lacking in the amount of frames. It's not so much that it looks stiff (I mean it still does kinda, for many characters), but rather the posture changes that happen within an animation just happen incredibly quick, almost like it's skipping from one part to the other with nothing in between to make it play out smoothly, if that makes sense. You can also kinda notice what I mean by the incredibly awkward looking idle/stance animations, where characters just pixel shift up and down at a fast pace. It doesn't look horrible, but I don't feel it's presentable either.
Character Improvements
  • I'm liking Goku's direction, but I won't give it proper sentence until I try this out for myself. For now, the short clip of him performing crazy teleportation combos looked crisp and unique, which is good. Oh and while I'm still talking about Goku, that weird, really fast pixel shifting idle animation thing I mentioned? Yeah, he has one, it's incredibly obvious, and it looks bad. Just reiterating so if someone watches the video while reading up on this, you can tell what I meant.
  • I don't like Ryu's Focus Attack at all. Visually, anyway. It's probably pretty difficult to replicate the whole ink thing that he does in SF4 and Smash, but still. Couldn't you guys make it like an in-engine effect like with shields and whatnot, instead of part of the sprite (sheet)? Something to make it more obvious that he's charging up FA other than just being stuck in the same 1 frame while shaking in place would be nice and helpful.
King of the Ring
Global Gameplay Changes
  • Character sizes, knockback and blast zone adjustmens are all good. The thing about jumps is also good, same with wavedashing and individual air dodge styles.
  • The "grab tech" thing sounds interesting. I don't think it'll be too detrimental and it's in many other fighters anyway so hey, I'll give props for taking the idea and giving it to a Smash-style game where that'll probably never be used (except the lack of grab armor in Smash 4 kinda works like that).
  • Built-in Controller configuration and joypad support. Yes. The fact that it works with analog presses for Melee-esque light-shields is great. Really glad this is now a thing that's been taken care of. Which BTW, liking that shields have this feature now, as well as having the ability to tilt them slightly and smoothly just like in the real games. I also like that it has actual support for joystick sensitivity with specific moves and the like.
I don't really care about the rest of the stuff since I'd never really play it unless forced to (for unlocks for example), so I won't cover that.

Well, since I'm done with that, all I have to say is, I'm impressed. There's a lot of good things in this trailer that overshadow the bad, but that's not to say it still needs fixes and improvements. I'm personally hoping the art direction (both sprites and character art) get revamped, because I just don't find the quality of it acceptable enough yet. That's just me though. Other than that I'm hoping that the game doesn't feel incredibly heavy, it felt like everyone had Melee Fox physics. Wasn't exactly a fan of that back in the day.

Anyway yeah that's it. A more serious approach to giving you guys my opinion for those that wanted it or cared for one. If you didn't though that's cool too. If I need to elaborate further on things just ask me I guess. Yeah.
I can half agree with the art. They don't need to change the art style of the portraits, But some charactersort could definitely use a new portrait. Just to make a list:
Mario and his skin
Bowser
Wario and Waluigi
Maybe the Links
Maybe Cap Falcon
Sonic and Tails
Capcom characters
Goku
And then mostly everyone else should get a updated pic. Comparing the portraits to Shantae's, they could definitely make them better.

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I can half agree with the art. They don't need to change the art style of the portraits, But some charactersort could definitely use a new portrait. Just to make a list:
Mario and his skin
Bowser
Wario and Waluigi
Maybe the Links
Maybe Cap Falcon
Sonic and Tails
Capcom characters
Goku
And then mostly everyone else should get a updated pic. Comparing the portraits to Shantae's, they could definitely make them better.
My problem with the drawn art is that it looks all scribbly and unprofessional. I'm not asking for something amazing, but something presentable and decent would definitely be way better than what they have right now. As it is everyone just looks like rushed doodles drawn by artistically illiterate people. It doesn't look like they tried at all.

The only character artworks that look passable are Petey, Geno, Pikachu, Tingle, Gooey, Mr. Game & Watch (barely, it still looks sloppy), Crash and PAC-MAN. Everyone else have really disgruntled facial expressions or weird features. Marth, the Links, Ganondorf, the Ryus, Phoenix and DK in particular all bother me more than they should.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Rewatching the trailer, I can't seem to find out the source sprites of the "Fighting Sprites" character from multi-man. The official "Fighting X" Teams (Polygon/Wire Frames/Alloy/Mii) are based off existing playables but I can't seem to spot the Sprite ones.

I almost want to say it's not based on anybody.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I think the game needs some more visual and gameplay tune ups, and the character art should be redrawn. Other than that, 9.1 is looking really good.

Slissith

Smash Cadet

Visual Improvements
Character Improvements
King of the Ring
Global Gameplay Changes

Thanks for the constructive criticism Yuch!

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Oh yeah, I think a way to make the online support more accessible would be cool too. One thing that confuses me is hate for Phoenix Wright's moveset. I'll admit it was awkward at first, but his evidence system is cool and he has a unique yet simple moveset.

RadicalMongoose

Smash Apprentice
Your free to ignore this, but I think it would be awesome if you give evil ryu a secret final smash that he can activate by entering the shun goku statsu command while he has a smash ball. I have no clue if this is even possible but it would a great nod to Akuma if you did so.

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Is there a release date for the latest version yet? I'd try the current one but it has no joystick support and I don't feel like playing with bootleg key mappers just to give things a try. I don't recall seeing one on the trailer or other places so I just wanna clarify.

Top Bottom