• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Unity (Coming Soon...)

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
This thing of text is coming from a playtester:

Trust me I can't wait to actually test out this game to make sure it succeeds in the end. I want this to be a really good Smash Bros. fan game, and I'm sure it will be, but we all still need patience. Making a game is no easy task.
Yeah, I know. I'm a playtester too, and I can't wait for it. The sprites look great, and the characters revealed so far are very good choices. (Though do we acctually have any stages revealed yet? I'm not sure)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
This thing of text is coming from a playtester:

Trust me I can't wait to actually test out this game to make sure it succeeds in the end. I want this to be a really good Smash Bros. fan game, and I'm sure it will be, but we all still need patience. Making a game is no easy task.
We also need more spriters.

We only have a small handfull, and progress would come along much faster if we have some more.
If you guys know anyone capable of working on sprite sheets, or if you can do it yourself, please tell us! We need all the help we can get!

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
We also need more spriters.

We only have a small handfull, and progress would come along much faster if we have some more.
If you guys know anyone capable of working on sprite sheets, or if you can do it yourself, please tell us! We need all the help we can get!
I may not be able to sprite, but I have talked to APC99 about some other stuff I could help out with.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Welcome back! It's time for another Super Smash Bros. Unity update! It's been a while since the last one, but for good reason. We have been spending the time redoing almost all of our character sprites!

Take a look at Mario!

As you can probably tell, this sprite is a lot more detailed than the previous one.

It's amazing how much a couple of different pixels can impact character's appearance!
Below are some of the other redone sprites that we are able to show!

While characters do mean a lot in a Smash Bros. game, today we'd also like to show a few other things this time around.
But don't be upset, because we have a couple more teasers in store for you this time.

Stages! Of course, since we redid the characters' sprites, we also had to start from scratch with the stages, so most of these will look quite unfinished.

First, let's take a look at our new and completely redesigned Battlefield!

Ever since its debut in Melee, Battlefield has underwent quite a few redesigns. It was a Final Destination-esque location in Melee, and became a more open-air stage in Brawl, and then had some minor changes in Smash 4.
So we decided to have our own take on the stage!

As a side note, the clock on the floor and gears on the underside do move as you fight.

Next stage...
Bob-Omb Battelfield!

As you can see, this stage is still in very early development. This, of course, is still a concept, and has not been put in the game yet. It's not limited to only this location, however. When it's done, we plan to have it styled similar to Isle Delfino, flying around from place to place from the iconic locations of Super Mario 64!

Next up, another work in progress is the "The Flying Machine", from the indie game Shovel Knight!

This stage will be completely flat, like Final Destination, except with floating platforms on the side, along with one major difference;

Occasionally, giant cannonballs will fall onto the stage, tearing holes on the floor, and dealing a massive blow to any fighter they hit! This changes up your strategy more, and also gives you a big ol' pit to use to your advantage.

We plan to have those holes regenerate, like in Bridge of Eldin, but we are still working out the means for this.

And finally, last, but certainly not least, we have...

That's right! It's Pac-Maze, appearing slightly different in terms of scale from it's Super Smash Brothers 4 counterpart!
We've taken notice of some of the issues, and have made it a bit less crowded in terms of spacing and placement.

Anywho, that just about wraps up today's update, but before we go, let me clarify a few things involving the contents of the game.

Playtester Demo:

The Playtester Demo will include 5 Characters. Those are Mario, Link, Kirby, Shovel Knight and returning Smash 4 veteran.....

PAC-MAN!

Now that it's owner has been revealed, you'll feel slightly less guilty when fighting in the Pac-Maze stage! This pellet-munching hero retains his moves from the Wii U and 3DS games for the most part, and we hope you have a blast playing as him!

The Demo will also feature 6 Stages. Battlefield, Bob-Ombs Battlefield, The Flying Machine, Pac-Maze, one more new stage, and one returning stage.

We will announce those last three stages at a later date.

Public Version 0.1:

There will be 20 Characters in the very first public version! There will be 12 Veterans and 8 Newcomers.
As a reminder, these are the ones we have announced:

Veterans- Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Samus, Fox, Ness, Little Mac, Sonic, and Pac-Man. That leaves two more veterans to be announced!

Newcomers- Balloon Fighter, Dr. Robotnik, and Shovel Knight. That leaves 5 newcomers to be officially announced!

And as for the stages in 0.1, we are going to aim for about 15. They will include all the ones in the demo, any others we previously announced, and more.

That's all for today, but we have one little teaser image for you.
See you next update month year?

Last edited:

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk

Welcome back! It's time for another Super Smash Bros. Unity update! It's been a while since the last one, but for good reason. We have been spending the time redoing almost all of our character sprites!

Take a look at Mario!

As you can probably tell, this sprite is a lot more detailed than the previous one.

It's amazing how much a couple of different pixels can impact character's appearance!
Below are some of the other redone sprites that we are able to show!

While characters do mean a lot in a Smash Bros. game, today we'd also like to show a few other things this time around.
But don't be upset, because we have a couple more teasers in store for you this time.

Stages! Of course, since we redid the characters' sprites, we also had to start from scratch with the stages, so most of these will look quite unfinished.

First, let's take a look at our new and completely redesigned Battlefield!

Ever since its debut in Melee, Battlefield has underwent quite a few redesigns. It was a Final Destination-esque location in Melee, and became a more open-air stage in Brawl, and then had some minor changes in Smash 4.
So we decided to have our own take on the stage!

As a side note, the clock on the floor and gears on the underside do move as you fight.

Next stage...
Bob-Omb Battelfield!

As you can see, this stage is still in very early development. This, of course, is still a concept, and has not been put in the game yet. It's not limited to only this location, however. When it's done, we plan to have it styled similar to Isle Delfino, flying around from place to place from the iconic locations of Super Mario 64!

Next up, another work in progress is the "The Flying Machine", from the indie game Shovel Knight!

This stage will be completely flat, like Final Destination, except with floating platforms on the side, along with one major difference;

Occasionally, giant cannonballs will fall onto the stage, tearing holes on the floor, and dealing a massive blow to any fighter they hit! This changes up your strategy more, and also gives you a big ol' pit to use to your advantage.

We plan to have those holes regenerate, like in Bridge of Eldin, but we are still working out the means for this.

And finally, last, but certainly not least, we have...

That's right! It's Pac-Maze, appearing slightly different in terms of scale from it's Super Smash Brothers 4 counterpart!
We've taken notice of some of the issues, and have made it a bit less crowded in terms of spacing and placement.

Anywho, that just about wraps up today's update, but before we go, let me clarify a few things involving the contents of the game.

Playtester Demo:

The Playtester Demo will include 5 Characters. Those are Mario, Link, Kirby, Shovel Knight and returning Smash 4 veteran.....

PAC-MAN!

Now that it's owner has been revealed, you'll feel slightly less guilty when fighting in the Pac-Maze stage! This pellet-munching hero retains his moves from the Wii U and 3DS games for the most part, and we hope you have a blast playing as him!

The Demo will also feature 6 Stages. Battlefield, Bob-Ombs Battlefield, The Flying Machine, Pac-Maze, one more new stage, and one returning stage.

We will announce those last three stages at a later date.

Public Version 0.1:

There will be 20 Characters in the very first public version! There will be 12 Veterans and 8 Newcomers.
As a reminder, these are the ones we have announced:

Veterans- Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Samus, Fox, Ness, Little Mac, Sonic, and Pac-Man. That leaves two more veterans to be announced!

Newcomers- Balloon Fighter, Dr. Robotnik, and Shovel Knight. That leaves 5 newcomers to be officially announced!

And as for the stages in 0.1, we are going to aim for about 15. They will include all the ones in the demo, any others we previously announced, and more.

That's all for today, but we have one little teaser image for you.
See you next update month year?

This is awesome! Just gonna say my impressions about it.

New Mario sprite: He looks a lot better than before, except.... it looks like theres something weird going down in the.... um..... crotch area. Pikachu, Kirby and Sonic look way better though! I really like the idea of a clock battlefield! Though just a side note, battlefield didn't debue in Melee, it debued in Smash 64 as the level in classic where you fought the polygons, and was made a option to play against friends in Melee. Bob-bom battlefield looks to have a really good concept! I hope that King Bob-Bom is a boss on there akin to the Yellow Devil, Ridley and Metal Face in Smash 4. The Flying machine looks to be cool. I don't have any refrence as I haven't played Shovel Knight yet, but it looks to be a nice stage to fight on. Pac-maze looks great, and its probably gonna be one of my favorite stages in this as its my favorite new stage in Smash 3DS. And it's home combatant, Pac-Man! Yeah! Also, on the characters announced so far, you didn't say Captain Falcon. Where is Falcon. I need my Falcon. FACOON PAWNCH. PLS. AH NED MAH FACOON PAWNCH. PLS.

Also, with that Mario + Pac-Man tease, yeah, just say that Megaman is playable. Everybody expects it now. Anyway, looking forward to the demo as I'm a playtester. Looks awesome!

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
Also, with that Mario + Pac-Man tease, yeah, just say that Megaman is playable. Everybody expects it now. Anyway, looking forward to the demo as I'm a playtester. Looks awesome!
That hint wasn't aimed at Megaman.
Think; Stars.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Hmm..... Starfy? Rosalina and Luma? Some sort of star-shaped Pokemon? I don't know.....

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Red and Yellow make Orange. Hmm...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
OH MY GOD wait a minute. I know who it is. Sudden moment of clarity.

Out of respect for the Dev Team I'll choose not to say it publicly.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well that was a dead give away that confirmed my previous suspicions. :p

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
...Oh, nothing.
Oh, ''nothing'' in quotes.

Whats going on?....

Oh, also, maybe Greninja for the stars? He throws ninja stars of water. Just..... I don't see why he'd be in. If your intention with the stars was to mess with my head, you'v succeeded.

Well that was a dead give away that confirmed my previous suspicions. :p
What suspicions?

Last edited:

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
Tornado, mind editing your post? I know you're not on the team anymore due to personal reasons, but it'd give at least SOME mystery to people who haven't seen it yet :p

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I know who it is as well.

And no, I don't intend to spoil the surprise.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I know who it is, but you'll get nothing from me.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Tornado, mind editing your post? I know you're not on the team anymore due to personal reasons, but it'd give at least SOME mystery to people who haven't seen it yet :p
Well, if were suprised then by the reveal, and we get suprised by a reveal now, does the mystery really matter? And the answer?

... I need a spoilers box for this but I don't know how to put them down.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You guys have it all wrong. It's clearly Motobug, think about it.
We have two stars, with one red. In other words, one star, two stars, red star, you get the picture. So clearly they're hinting at a new Sonic rep.
"But why Motobug?" Some of you may say? Well for one, he's relevant. And in the roster picking business that's a big deal. And two, he's deserved this role since the first game. I think it's about time the devs gave it time in the spotlight.

Last edited:

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
You guys have it all wrong. It's clearly Motobug, think about it.
We have two stars, with one red. In other words, one star, two stars, red star, you get the picture. So clearly they're hinting at a new Sonic rep.
"But why Motobug?" Some of you may say? Well for one, he's relevant. And in the roster picking business that's a big deal. And two, he's deserved this roles since the first game. I think it's about time the devs gave it time in the spotlight.
Whos Motobug? You mean that red bug robot in the first level of Sonic 1? Relevence isn't important in fan games, as, well, they aren't trying to advertise, they just want cool games. And also, theres already two Sonic reps in the first Beta, so I don't think we'll get another for a while.

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
Whos Motobug? You mean that red bug robot in the first level of Sonic 1? Relevence isn't important in fan games, as, well, they aren't trying to advertise, they just want cool games. And also, theres already two Sonic reps in the first Beta, so I don't think we'll get another for a while.
Really kid...really? XD

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
image.jpg

Also, on what you said about relevancy not mattering, you're kinda wrong.
We want to have, for the most part, characters that matter. We aren't going to have Billy Mays, or some obscure character from a 15 year old Mario RPG (Yes, that's a Geno joke, but don't take it seriously. It's just a joke, not a tease of any sort, I swear. We don't have Geno planned. I swear. Please don't take this as a tease.).

Our main priorities in terms of characters are uniqueness, how much the character matters, and fan-demand.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Heard about this today, looking foward to it. And i already know who the hinted character is,but shovel knigh and balloon fighter is amazing!

Top Bottom