• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Er, sorry... about that?

So, here's a thought. What game companies that currently don't have a character in Smash is deserving of one in you guys' opinion? What character would you want to be added?

I'd go with Tecmo Koei in Ryu Hayabusa. They've been helping out Nintendo with a lot of games with Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors and even have joint ownership with them on Fatal Frame. Hayabusa's games also started out on Nintendo consoles AND Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge was a launch title with time exclusivity on the Wii U, plus that Ninja Gaiden DS game.
Ubisoft with Rayman immediately comes to mind - I find it odd that they got the rights to use him in Smash 4 as a trophy, got a brand new model sent to them from Ubisoft, and didn't go any further with that, even through DLC.

Ryu Hayabusa would definitely be interesting, though I haven't played much of the Ninja Gaiden series (from what little I've played of both the 2D and 3D games, they seem more frustrating than fun), and personally, I would love to see Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes make an appearance.

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
I surprised that the n64 doesn't have as much representation/respect in smash bros considering how important it is Nintendo's history... I can't think of anything of the top of my head except for a metal mario trophy. And that item that is related to Mario 64. That's it. No Lanky Kong trophy.... or even a king k tool trophy. Not any maps. Kinda weird isn't it ....Maybe they will be considered retro one day.

I surprised that the n64 doesn't have as much representation/respect in smash bros considering how important it is Nintendo's history... I can't think of anything of the top of my head except for a metal mario trophy. And that item that is related to Mario 64. That's it. No Lanky Kong trophy.... or even a king k tool trophy. Not any maps. Kinda weird isn't it ....Maybe they will be considered retro one day.
Also the SMash 64 stages

Corneria too. And Saki AT

Probably more I cant think of. suspicious you only mention DK stuff as missing

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
Also the SMash 64 stages

Corneria too. And Saki AT

Probably more I cant think of. suspicious you only mention DK stuff as missing
Lanky kings nose freaks me out man just noticed it

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Er, sorry... about that?

So, here's a thought. What game companies that currently don't have a character in Smash is deserving of one in you guys' opinion? What character would you want to be added?

I'd go with Tecmo Koei in Ryu Hayabusa. They've been helping out Nintendo with a lot of games with Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors and even have joint ownership with them on Fatal Frame. Hayabusa's games also started out on Nintendo consoles AND Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge was a launch title with time exclusivity on the Wii U, plus that Ninja Gaiden DS game.
Ubisoft and Tecmo Koei are both equally "deserving" IMO.

Both have gotten to work on Nintendo IPs like Mario, Zelda and Fire Emblem on top of both having multiple series that are rather well known such as Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Far Cry and Rayman/Rabbids for Ubisoft and Ninja Gaiden, Dynasty Warriors and Dead or Alive for Tecmo Koei (Nioh has been a rising new IP for them too).

I'd be happy with Rayman, Ezio or a Rabbid joining for Ubisoft (Sam Fisher would be great too but only if Snake returns) and for Ryu Hayabusa to join for Tecmo Koei.

Lanky kings nose freaks me out man just noticed it
He has no style, he has no grace
This Kong, has a funny face

cmon that's obligatory

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally, I don't see companies as "deserving" or "undeserving", so I can't really answer that. :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Your reaction: Mario Rabbid gets in as a playable character and has a moveset based on his game as well as mimicking Mario hilariously.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Do I still have Mario and Dr. Mario? Yes? Sure, why not. Rabbids do legit interest me as playable.
Yes they'd stay.

Somehow, I think that if they'd include a Rabbid, the Mario Rabbid seems the most likely. Or at least, I'd hope they would choose it. Rayman is good too. He also seems very likely since that thropy appeared in Smash Wii U now I think about it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You need to add text to posts.

Otherwise its considered spam.

As for third parties, I'm game for almost anyone that isn't ultra gorey or scary. I mean, I'm okay with stuff like Resident Evil and Devil May Cry gore for example as its somewhat minor and can be toned down.

Also Diddy Kong Diddy Kong I gotta recommend you 3DS games, lol.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'd be actually really upset if a Rabbid got in over Rayman. Any Rabbid.

Rayman is far more interesting gameplay and character wise. Not to mention Legends is seriously one of the best 2D platformers out there.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I dont know if deserving is the right expression for this, but I think Ubisoft and Koei Tecmo should get a character. For Ubisoft, I'd say Rayman as a character and the Rabbids as Assist Trophy is the way to go. As for KT I don't know since I haven't played their games expect HW.

Ah and Konami should get Snake back of course since it's the only major Japanese company without a rep in Smash now. But as I said, Bomberman would fit too.

D

Deleted member

Repost time since this reply has been massively ignored since it has been posted:
To continue on the Link/Zelda BotW overhaul topic, I can also see Toon Zelda getting added as a Zelda newcomer whom the main purpose is to be a :4zelda: semi-clone who inherits of her old gameplay.

(And even then people will complain we'll get 3 incarnations of Zelda in the roster)

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
If they need a new Zelda rep so bad why not pick someone who shows up every game like tinkle, I know there are plenty of characters that appear only once like tetra that would be welcome. .... rather than a new link or Zelda

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If they need a new Zelda rep so bad why not pick someone who shows up every game like tinkle, I know there are plenty of characters that appear only once like tetra that would be welcome. .... rather than a new link or Zelda
Tingle is outright despised in the US to the point his own spinoff games weren't localized. Hell, I think Sakurai outright stated this

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
Well one could argue the rabbids are despised as well....... but they are third party so maybe different rules apply?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well one could argue the rabbids are despised as well....... but they are third party so maybe different rules apply?
Rabbids have a large hate base but they have an equally large (maybe even larger) fan base as well.

There's a reason Nintendo said yes to putting them in with Mario.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Rabbids have a large hate base but they have an equally large (maybe even larger) fan base as well.

There's a reason Nintendo said yes to putting them in with Mario.
Not only that, but the Rabbid "hate" died down a bit after Rayman started having his own games again while the Rabbids did their own thing.

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
But who would be more hated Tingle or Rabbids in smash brothers. Honestly I couldn't tell you .

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
But who would be more hated Tingle or Rabbids in smash brothers. Honestly I couldn't tell you .
Another Fire Emblem character because people are so hung up on "muh reps" (granted Sakurai did say that he felt Corrin was a bit much but still)

D

Deleted member

Rabbids by default.

Tingle's hate is blown out of proportion, honestly.
And the fact he's a well-known recurring character in the Zelda series would help counterbalance the "hate" if he ever got promoted from an Assist to a fighter.

Rabbids would get flak from not just the people that don't care for them, but from the Rayman supporters as well if he's not playable alongside them.

That being said, I doubt that would honestly be a deterrent to Sakurai/whoever.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
In each of you guys' opinion how likely, on a scale of 1-100, is an Arms character and an Inkling.

I'd say 100 for Inkling and like a good 60 for an Arms character just because that's a relatively fresh IP while Splatoon has been around for a bit longer.

In each of you guys' opinion how likely, on a scale of 1-100, is an Arms character and an Inkling.

I'd say 100 for Inkling and like a good 60 for an Arms character just because that's a relatively fresh IP while Splatoon has been around for a bit longer.
Good thing I had polls for those exact 2 questions in this thread. :p

(99 for inklings, ARMS depends entirely on release date)

Attachments

Last edited:

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
Regarding Rabbids I think they would have to fight as a large group, rather than a single member of there species. It just seems to be the best way to represent them.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Didn't Greninja debunk the possible "release date" counterargument that pops up every once in a while?

D

Deleted member

Didn't Greninja debunk the possible "release date" counterargument that pops up every once in a while?
Greninja promoted new games from one of the most successful franchises in gaming history. ARMS is a relatively unproven IP. Putting Spring Man in Smash before knowing if the series is even popular enough to get off the ground is a risky gamble. If release dates weren't an issue for new IPs, I'm pretty sure Inkling would've been a DLC character in Smash 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staarih

Smash Master
How is adding an ARMS character risky though? Or any character? It's not like adding a new character downgrades the game or makes people want to buy it less hehe, rather, it probably makes it more interesting and promotes not only Smash but the IP the character originates from, whether or not the character itself is liked or not.

ARMS is already a million seller and they're taking a very Splatoon-like path with promoting it (adding (free) additional content regularly, the mangas/merchandise whatnot) so it's pretty obvious they want it to be successful. Adding something like Spring Man in Smash would establish the future of ARMS really, we've seen the push happen with the likes of Fire Emblem and Xenoblade already after their Smash-presence.

Not saying an ARMS character is guaranteed, just something I wouldn't be surprised about. Inkling is #1 when it comes to new IP -reps though, definitely.

Luminario

Smash Lord
How is adding an ARMS character risky though? Or any character? It's not like adding a new character downgrades the game or makes people want to buy it less hehe, rather, it probably makes it more interesting and promotes not only Smash but the IP the character originates from, whether or not the character itself is liked or not.

ARMS is already a million seller and they're taking a very Splatoon-like path with promoting it (adding (free) additional content regularly, the mangas/merchandise whatnot) so it's pretty obvious they want it to be successful. Adding something like Spring Man in Smash would establish the future of ARMS really, we've seen the push happen with the likes of Fire Emblem and Xenoblade already after their Smash-presence.

Not saying an ARMS character is guaranteed, just something I wouldn't be surprised about. Inkling is #1 when it comes to new IP -reps though, definitely.
Don't forget that the next Smash may have already been in development before ARMS was released. The game could have easily flopped, and then they'd be left with an unpopular character with no credit to their appearance so they couldn't be advertised that well. They also have to take into account that ARMS is a fighting game with a large cast, and as we've all noticed Twintelle has pulled a Morrigan to become the more popular character in the game. There's no point in adding in a Demitri when you've got a Morrigan in your game, especially one that fits the mechanics of Smash much better thanks to having regular arms. That's what they meant by risky, there are too many variables when adding in an unreleased new IP character.

FUNT1MER

Smash Cadet
Ativision will never let Crash or Spyro into snash unless they look like there skylanders.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ativision will never let Crash or Spyro into snash unless they look like there skylanders.
Which is exactly why Skylanders seems to be cancelled and Crash Bandicoot is now listed alongside Call of Duty on Activision's website under their major franchises due to the success of N. Sane Trilogy, right?

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm all for Rayman at this point. He really warmed up to me. Just imagining that freedom sense of playing as a armless and legless character would remind me of Haunter.

Ryu Hayabusa would be a jab to Snake. Haha I'm.. actually not against him in Smash though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Rayman is okay. I'm not against him, just not too enthusiastic cause I don't know what he can do for the most part. His concept seems somewhat broken from what I understand however.

Heiachi is also likely I feel cause of Namco. It's very likely Namco stays invloved with Smash's development. Even if it isn't a port.

And I also expect any other third party developer with at least two characters yo have more. Thus Capcom and Sega.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think I am okay with Crash Bandicoot getting in Smash. I finally played Crash games thanks to the N. Sane Trilogy for PS4. I really like the first game so far but I didn't play the other two games just yet.

I would like Spyro to get a similar treatment. I really would like to see Spyro's original PS1 trilogy remade for the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom