• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Ah crap, I thought I had more time :/

Next time then. I wrote up a submission for Clock Town and all.
Sorry Venus. The submission period is 5 days, and we ended the round a little over 120 hours after we opened it. You're free to post your submission if you'd like, but we can't count it, for obvious reasons.

Here's looking forward to seeing you participate in the next round!

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Zelda isn't my expertise, so hopefully I can enter next round! :chuckle:

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for entering our first round in the contest, everyone! I'm very pleased with many of the ideas I've seen so far. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that the grades for this round will be revealed sometime this week.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Before the grades come out, I thought it was a solid showing all-around. I also thought it was interesting that most of the stages came from the last big three console games (TP, SS, and WW). Lastly, I noticed that most people combined an iconic area with an iconic moment, which I thought was pretty cool.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Before the grades come out, I thought it was a solid showing all-around. I also thought it was interesting that most of the stages came from the last big three console games (TP, SS, and WW). Lastly, I noticed that most people combined an iconic area with an iconic moment, which I thought was pretty cool.
*cough cough* :3

but in all seriousness, take your time and have fun grading, you, gradey peoples :p

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Alright, the grades are done~!
[collapse=Ascended's Grades]BigAxle/Hyrule Castle Basked in Shadow:
Popularity: 9/10
Creativity: 10/10
Playability: 9/10
Total: 28/30
Comments: Iconic location, great ideas, lots of thought went into this one! An all-around solid entry that I would love to see in the game.

Olekidsf/Forsaken Fortress:
Creativity: 9/10
Playability: 8/10
Total: 26/30
Comments: An iconic moment and location from The Wind Waker. You've got some great ideas, but I took some points off of playability because it sounded like players would spend most of their time fighting the stage rather than each other. Maybe I'm overthinking things, and I would love to see this as a playable stage.

andimidna/Palace of Twilight:
Popularity: 8/10
Playability: 7/10
Total: 24/30
Comments: Interesting choice for a stage. Lots of thought went into this, but I took some points off because it sounded like there were too many hazards. I don't want to discourage creativity, but I also would like to see more balanced hazards. (Although I could be overthinking this as with Olekidsf's entry.)

Croco/Hyrule River Raft:
Popularity: 10/10
Total: 29/30
Comments: Excellent entry! This was my favorite out of the whole list. I gave you a perfect score on popularity because it covers the entire first Zelda game, and even starts on the entry of the first dungeon. Creativity was very high for this entry, how did you think of something like this? I love the idea of going through a cavern and getting the dungeon music. Great job!

liets/Sealed Grounds:
Total: 27/30
Comments: A solid entry that manages to take a reocurring element from Skyward Sword and captures everything players loved (or hated) about it. Love the idea of Groose body slamming the stage and the Groosenator playing a part.

Souless_shadow/Private Oasis:
Popularity: 7/10
Creativity: 8/10
Playability: 10/10
Total: 25/40
Comments: I gave this a perfect playability because there aren't any hazards, and I like the weather, day-too-night effects, but other than that there wasn't much else too this. I could be wrong, but I didn't think this was a very iconic area from The Wind Waker, and I would have liked to see things spruced up a bit.

Zzuxon/Lanayru Desert:
Comments: Cool idea, and the only reason I gave you one point less than the Sandship was because I think the Sandship is the more iconic location between the two. If not, feel free to flame me. Overall, I like the idea and I would totally play on it.

stan423321/The Sandship:
Comments: As stated with Zzuxon, I gave you one more point than the Desert because I think the Sandship is more iconic. I also think this stage would make a good succsessor to The Pirate Ship from Brawl.

PixelPasta/Outset Island:
Comments: Another stage that combines an iconic area and moment from The Wind Waker. An all-around solid entry that I would totally play on.

9Volt/Ganon's Tower:
Comments: Lots of Wind Waker love in this entry! I like that people were picking iconic areas and moments for their entries. Anyway, this is a solid all-around entry that I would totally play on. (I don't have much more to say than that...)

Violenceman/Palace of Winds:
Comments: Whoa, a Four Swords stage! Nice ideas and thinking outside of the box! I love the wind and weather effects that you put in. I think this would be a fun stage to play on, but I'm not sure how popular Four Swords is so I took some points off.[/collapse]
[collapse=BridgesWithTurtles' Grades]Hyrule Castle by BigAxle
Creativity: 6/10
Total: 23/30
I really liked this stage idea. You scored high in popularity due to the iconic nature of Hyrule Castle, particularly the Twilight Princess version of it, which was notable for being visited at the beginning and very end of the game. The twilight cycle which shifts the platforms around a bit is a fun-sounding mechanic that hasn't been done too often in Smash before, but it has been done nonetheless, in Smash and in other games. Hyrule Castle itself has also appeared as a stage before, in Smash 64. While this version is arguably much more improved, it's still retreading old ground. That being said, the layout is much different, and the overall stage design is well conducive to battle. I like the lack of hazards in the stage, as it contributes to the somber, desolate mood you were going for. The solid wall can be a problem due to chain grabs, however.

Forsaken Fortress by Olekidsf
Popularity:
7/10
Playability: 4/10
Total: 19/30
Good idea for a Wind Waker stage. Forsaken Fortress is a recurring location from the game, so I think most of us who've played it are very familiar with it. Very creative adaptation of the location, making it a scrolling stage. That being said, as a scrolling stage, it pushes the boundaries of playability, but alone that's not really a problem. However, coupled with solid walls (chain grabs) and an aggressively hostile stage hazard, the stage suffers in that category.

Palace of Twilight by andimidna
Popularity:
7/10
Creativity: 4/10
Total: 18/30
I'm loving all of the Twilight Princess stages. Judging by your username, I'm not surprised to see this location. You picked a semi-popular location from the game. It's mostly playable, as the hazards aren't too intrusive, but some of them don't make too much sense, and they seem to be there for fanservice more than to add to the fun of the stage. When it comes to layout, the stage is almost identical to the original location. It could use some platforms to make it a little more fresh.

Hyrule River Raft by Croco
Popularity:
8/10
Creativity: 7/10
Total: 22/30
I've been waiting for a classic Zelda stage, and this one was a nice surprise. You put a creative spin on an old location. Rather than simply adapt the generic overworld into a stage, you give us a tour of the entire realm of Hyrule through a raft ride. The raft ride is a bit of a stretch in terms of how faithfully the original location is represented, but it doesn't hurt your creativity score too much. The stage seems playable enough, though that would be affected by how powerful and frequent the hazards are, which you do not specify. The cameos by beloved characters in the cave section is a neat little extra that I enjoyed.

Sealed Grounds by liets
Popularity:
7/10
Total: 20/30
I still wish this were the Skyward Sword stage chosen instead of Skyloft. You were very creative here with the way the stage scrolls diagonally rather than simply vertically or horizontally. New stage gimmicks, such as the air vents, bring some fresh new ideas to the gameplay. The stage has a few striking issues with playability, however, with earthquakes sending players to their deaths. Groose is a balanced hazard that makes a nice reference to the source game, but I feel as if there is some wasted potential in not using the Groosinator as a hazard instead (or in addition). Still, you don't lose out on creativity, since everything else is still pretty fresh and untried before. Concentrate on more balanced playability with the gimmicks, and I feel like you can come up with something even better in another round.

Private Oasis by Souless_shadow
Popularity:
5/10
Total: 17/30
An interesting choice, to say the least. I admire the simplicity of the stage, which reflects the quite, relaxed nature characteristic of the location. It represents Wind Waker well enough, being a tropical island with a sea view and whatnot. However, the location itself isn't particularly notable or important. The stage also suffers from having a vaguely-defined layout that could use some more description. You specify that the water is a hazard, but how so? Do players drown in it? Does it deal damage? Water itself is harmless in Brawl unless players spend so much time in it that they drown, so it would've really been appreciated if you had better described it.

Lanayru Desert by Zzuxon
Popularity:
7/10
Lanayru Desert, eh? I'll have to admit, I had to dock you in creativity since while the timeshift stone gimmick is an obvious inclusion that I can only be glad you translated faithfully, nothing much else is done with the location besides that. The size of the stage, and even its general appearance, is a little vague. A tad more description would really help give a better image of the map. On the flipside, the simple and easily manageable gimmick, coupled with the simple layout, makes the stage very playable, and it sounds like a blast to play.

The Sandship by stan423321
Popularity:
7/10
Total: 21/30
A very well-rounded score for this stage. I really love how you managed the stage layout, using the ship's emergency rafts (and in "the past", the growing vegetation) as platforms as players fight on the side of the ship rather than on top of it, basically making the stage a series of platforms. The pendulous timeshift orb in the windows is a nice visual touch that I feel took some applaud-able creativity and a keen attention to detail. Some of the hazards and cameos don't make too much sense, but they do a good job at mixing up an otherwise plain layout and never feel overpowered. You also included the most creative and entertaining unlock conditions I've seen so far.

Outset Island by PixelPasta
Popularity:
10/10
Playability: 6/10
Yet another Wind Waker stage, and a very iconic location at that. Outset Island is what I always thought should have been Toon Link's stage in Brawl, instead of the Pirate Ship. It's one of the most memorable, important, and recurring locations in Wind Waker, so as a stage representative of the game, it's a perfect choice. While I love me some bridges (turtles are optional), I can't help but feel that the source location is underutilized, as the island is so large yet the battle is confined to one location. I see what you were going for, though, trying to set the stage during a particular event. The fact that it's a long, single platform with walk-off ledges makes this a pretty one-sided arena for characters with chain grabs and projectiles, however. The Helmaroc King is a nice touch, but I think that 20 seconds is far too long for his attack to end.

Ganon's Tower by 9volt
Popularity:
7/10
Total: 25/30
Wow, I was really impressed with the water mechanic here, and how the shield contracts and expands to shrink and widen the blast zone. The water would probably act as a buffer to reduce knockback once players exit the shield, right? Having players be able to swim around and hopefully save themselves by returning to the stage is a really neat idea that has never been done before. I think that the stage could use some platforms or something to spice it up a little bit, but the water gimmick alone is pretty interesting.

Palace of the Winds by Violenceman
A Four Swords Adventures stage? Now that's something interesting. It's not a very remembered location, nor is the source game very popular, but I love how you adapted this location into a workable stage. Aside from some standard issues arising from solid walls, the stage is very playable, with some neat ideas to boot. The vegetation-obscured platforms and the pavillion that can be entered and fought in provide neat visual effects, and there's a loving attention to detail here that gives the stage a lot of personality. Clever adaptation of the palace's terrain into a Smash environment, making full use of infrastructure and geomorphology, is a highlight here, and I think that the stage would have scored just as well regardless of the inclusion of Vaati as a hazard.[/collapse]
[collapse=D-idara's Grades]Hyrule Castle TP by BigAxle
Popularity:
10/10
I REALLY like your stage and it feels tough to find problems with it. It's of course a ridiculously popular location from the game and one of the best places to show the transition from the normal world to the Twilight realm...And of course full playability because the stage manages to not mess with the players at all without being a Battlefield Clone, I also think that the stage transitioning slowly instead of snapping from one mode to the other was a very creative choice, and would make for a more engaging atmosphere, I liked how you used a tower-platform setup instead of the flat castle courtyard, specially the reference to a chess piece. Also, TP Hyrule Field music > All of the other Zelda overworld themes, especially 0:43.
Total: 29

Popularity:
10/10
Forsaken Fortress...the first dungeon on Wind Waker and the place that made many people get stuck! I obviously gave 10 on Popularity because it's the first dungeon from a popular, well-loved Zelda game. Although you managed to make the thing different with the platforms and the scrolling water, I still think the stage feels too similar to the actual boss battle...and I'll have to leave my personal bias and love for night levels to the side here...the way you described the stage makes it sound like a mix between Rumble Falls, and Spear Pillar+Dyna-Ridley on steroids...I just don't think you'd have enough time to worry about the battle...maybe you could've earned a lot more Playability points if the water-rising part used a flat wooden platform that rises, at least to make the fighting grounds flat.
Total: 21

Popularity:
8/10
Twilight Palace serves as the penultimate dungeon on Twilight Princess and it's a very relevant place for Midna so you could say that it's quite popular! Now...I think using an exact location from the place, even though it might be iconic...takes off points in Creativity, but I added 2 extra points because you did something that I'd like to see done on a stage: Destructible stage enemies. Now with the playability...the enemies seem very manageable, although the mention of them appearing 'often' kinda rubs me the wrong way, but Phantom Zant just seems a bit too unpredictable and annoying, especially that stomp attack!
Total: 22

Popularity:
10/10
I LOVE RETRO STAGES! Now...I was thinking about taking a point from Popularity because the enemies and locations are rendered and based on the concept arts, so the transition from the (Extremely basic) look of the 8-bit sprites to 3D models might not be faithful enough for everyone to recognize them, but making the stage start close to the first dungeon and having appearances of characters (Like the Old Man!) made me give you 10 on Popularity, also because it travels along the locations from the game. Of course the 10 on creativity's because you managed to grab all those iconic locations from the game and make the stage cruise around them in a way that makes sense. Playability would've been 9 with the manageable hazards and flat stage but the falling boulders from Death Mountain make me remember those falling boulders in a certain Subspace Level *shudders* so I gave you 8.
Total: 28

Sealed Grounds by liets
Popularity:
8/10
Good stage overall, although I took 2 points from Popularity because it IS a really important location from Skyward Sword, but unlike Skyloft, people who didn´t play SS won´t recognize it. Now, I love how you adapted the place´s spiraling layout to a scrolling format and how the hazards are used, especially dat´ Groose charging like a boss, I can only imagine the hilarity of someone fighting and then suddenly GROOSE! Although for the same awesome reasons I docked a few points in playability, especially because the tornados seem too much to me.
Total: 23

Popularity:
4/10
I think the place's pretty generic, even though it represents Wind Waker's ocean-esque atmosphere. Also, I like 'rooftop' setups but you could've done a lot more with the Oasis/Spa/Resort theme this place has going on, although the day/night cycle nets you an extra point. Of course full playability because nothing's messing with you while you fight.
Total: 22

Lanayru Desert by Zzuxon
Popularity:
7/10
Same deal as Sealed Grounds, decently relevant to the game itself but it´s not a flagship location of the Zelda series. I really like how you adjusted the desert to a fighting stage and the ´island on a sea of sand´ concept, also, the epic visual gimmicks of the desert turning into lush plains and the robots being reanimated are wonderful, of course 10/10 Playability because it has changing platforms, but no real hazards for the players.
Total: 25

A little more recognizable than the desert itself! I love how this stage uses pirate-esque elements for the platforms and how the timestone shifts a designated circular area as it swings from side to side, would probably make for some really cool visual effects! I removed 2 points from playability because of the pirates but they sound manageable enough, and they don´t seem like they would interfere too much with the actual fight.
Total: 25

Outset Island's the first thing that you think of when you think of Toon Link! I think the location being taken straight from the game makes it seem a little bland, but I get what you were going for with the 'event' thing instead of just using the location. I like the Helmaroc King, but I think 20 seconds is just too much...imagine a 2-player match, one player gets flown around for 20 second while the other one...taunts?
Total: 24

Ganon's Tower by 9Volt
Popularity:
10/10
One of the best Ganondorf Battles on the Zelda series...I absolutely love how you used the scene after the battle, with Toon Ganon on the background with the sword coming out of his head, makes it all the more iconic! Although I think you could've done something to spice up the actual place, the way you used the water walls feels absolutely genius! Love the concept of the potential blast zone expanding and contracting as the match progresses, overall very good stage with a few flaws.
Total: 27

Popularity:
8/10
I gave an extra point on Popularity because the Four Swords series has kind of a cult following, I've seen a lot of people that consider Four Swords their favorite Zelda game! Full Creativity because I love how you adapted the overworld view of the palace and made an interesting, varied battlefield around it, especially the bushes that hide the characters' feet. Of course almost full playability because of Vaati, but the way you described how Vaati telegraphs the attack and does minimal knockback makes me think that it wouldn't be much of a bother during the fight.
Total: 27[/collapse]
[collapse=Forcerounds' Grades]Hyrule Castle by BigAxle

Total: 23/30

As far as Zelda location's go, Hyrule Castle is in high demand once again, so good work on that. What makes me like the idea of this stage is the fact that the Twilight Princess setting would finally be envisioned with HD graphics. That alone would make the TP Hyrule Castle a great choice over other, more popular Hyrule Castles. As for the other categories, the gimmick reminds me of Pokemon Stadium in Melee so it's greatly playable, but not entirely creative. Good attempt though. Making an interesting Hyrule Castle stage that doesn't have damage-causing hazards is a difficult task as of yet.

Playability: 2/10

Welcome to the vertical scrolling stage from hell! Putting a boss hazard in a vertical scrolling stage hasn't been done before, so that earns you some points. The Forsaken Fortress is also very iconic to those who've played Wind Waker. However, it doesn't seem like a stage that would be played on very often because the walls on the side would prevent kills, the Helmaroc King could perhaps be too powerful of a hazard, and vertical scrolling stages have a tendency to be annoying. I think your idea would be best suited for a segment in Adventure mode, with a boss battle with the Helmaroc King at the top.

Playability: 5/10

It sounds like a pretty fun stage. You went into great detail about the hazards and they seem to be much more involved than any other stage in the Smash series. However, because it is very reminiscent of Spear Pillar, I took off points for playability because there's a point where hazards get in the way of gameplay enjoyment.

So the setting of your stage is Hyrule itself. Good move. Moreover, it's the Hyrule from the first Zelda game. Brilliant! Why hasn't this setting been used in Smash yet? I really like how the stage serves as a tour through retro goodness in a perspective players have not experienced before in its game of origin. While damaging hazards aren't going to make it preferred in tournaments, it's seems much more playable than the Pirate Ship, and I can see people really falling in love with it.

Sealed Grounds by liets

Playability: 5/10

Aside from Skyloft, the Sealed Grounds are probably the next most important location in Skyward Sword, but it is not much of an icon. Your description of the stage captures the heart of the location very well, as it even incorporates Groose, and the gusts of air. However, these hazards on a vertical scrolling stage are a bit too dangerous even if they do belong here.

Popularity: 4/10

Ah. How peaceful. How serene. Much like Smashville, a nice place to fight with little to no interruptions. It looks like you focused on playability here, and you have succeeded greatly. Popularity and creativity not so much though.

Lanayru Desert by Zzuxon

I like this stage idea. It isn't the most iconic Zelda area, but it's a great looking location in Skyward Sword that could easily earn itself a stage in Smash. The layout you drew really helped with your playability score here, as it reminded me of the inoffensive Yoshi's Island stage in Brawl.

Popularity: 6/10

The Sandship is an interesting choice. While people who have played Skyward Sword will recognize it, I'm not entirely sure using the side of the ship is the most iconic part about it. What is cool about your submission is how the Timeshift Stone turns the sand into water so as to not kill players who are not able to recover when the platforms switch from the rafts to the platforms. The switch from past to present is troublesome though if it is designed to kill players who aren't able to jump out of the water and above the rafts in time. That feature takes away from the stage's playability.

As nice as it would be to fight on Outset Island's bridge, 20 seconds of the Helmaroc King attacking and holding a player in its talons is a bit too cruel don't you think? Hazards in Smash Bros. generally do not make a player unable to move, and for good reason, so I had to take off points in playability.

Ganon's Tower by 9volt

Cool idea and great location! The water walls that are able to aid in recovery a bit is an idea that I've never seen before so that helped you out a lot. The hazard seems mostly balanced too aside from the rare chance of being meteor smashed.

Seems like a pretty sweet stage. I certainly wasn't expecting a Four Swords Adventures stage, so this entry stands out. I like how you added Vaati into the mix without him being too inconvenient of a hazard.[/collapse]
Total Scores:
Big Axle:
Olekidsf: 84
andimidna: 84
Croco: 105
liets: 89
Souless_shadow: 82
Zzuxon: 93
stan423321: 92
PixelPasta: 90
9Volt: 104
Violenceman: 101

AND THE WINNER IS...

HYRULE RIVER RAFT BY CROCO!
[collapse=Stage Description - Hyrule River Raft]Name of Stage: Hyrule River Raft
Game of Origin: The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Description:

Stage begins on the bridge touching the water and shoreline near the first dungeon. The stage is about the length of Final Destination. I have included a picture below showing the bridge.

The bridge brakes suddenly and begins to move down river turning into a raft. Elements from the over-world map are shown in the background scrolling by. Enemies like Lynels, Octoroks, River Zoras, Peahats, and Tektit etc. are seen in the background and occasionally might interact with the players. Example: A moblin might throw a spear as the raft passes by.

As the raft moves down river and passes by recognizable locations and environments; spears, burns marks, and broken pieces of raft become more and more evident. Even boulders fall from death mountain and land on the raft until the match is over. The raft enters a cave. Randomly for each play you might see a character from Legend of Zelda, Merchant, Impa, Old Man, old woman etc. the rarest is the Old Man. Through the cave a dungeon suddenly appears and the music changes into the dungeon theme. Enemies appear in the background like before but now bosses randomly appear attacking the players from the background. A wall blows open and now the players are up on death mountain.. music changes back to the over-world music. As the raft goes along, boulders falling from above with water falls in the background. The raft then drops down a waterfall and the stage starts all over again.

Gimmicks/Hazards:

The raft moves so the stage is actually stationary with the background scrolling in multiple directions. Think brawl's 'Pirate Ship' stage but with just a flat service and no docking. Stage hazards are the enemies and bosses from the LoZ NES game which sit in the background and randomly attack the players. Boulders have some warning with falling dirt before impact.

Unlockable?:

YES and unlockable in 2 ways.
Knock out 1986 (Year 1986 which LoZ came out..) characters as Princess Zelda.
Super Secret Unlockable way - Enter 'ZELDA' in all caps as your player name.

Extra:

Music -
The graphics are original but inspired by the NES 8 bit colors and concept art from the booklets which I included some in the concept above description.

This stage also allows player to choose 2 different music tracks.. one for the outside and one for the cave/dungeon sections.[/collapse]
Congratulations, Croco! Your stage will be added to the Hall of Fame on the second post and we'll give about a day to discuss the results and...fool around before we announce the next round :v I hope you people had fun, and I must say that seeing so much Twilight Princess love was amazing!

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
I came in second? That went better than expected.
Looking forward to the next round.
Croco...look your back dude and congrats. XP

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Congrats, Croco!

I had a feeling you were going to take this round; I originally was going to do a stage based on the original LOZ (probably something dungeon themed), but abandoned that idea after seeing yours because I knew I wouldn't be able to top it.

Nice work!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Woah, 5th place. Better than expected.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations to Croco! The judges didn't screw over, this was a great and polished stage idea.

Maybe we could take a guess at what comes next? I will be absolutely screwed when coming up with a Fire Emblem stage, due to never getting into that particular franchise... Still I expect the jury to go with a ultra light story franchise after Zelda. We'll see.

Croco

Smash Lord
Thanks everyone! This was so much fun. Looks like it was very close.
Congrats on everyone else who entered. I enjoyed reading all the ideas. I wasn't much of a twilight princess fan.

To answer any of the questions the judges asked..

I wanted to recreate that nostalgic vibe of the first LoZ game the best possible way. It also was a challenge because of many reasons. The top overworld style etc. I started thinking about a large mine car type gameplay.. but it was too spirit tracks. Then I realized there was the water areas and rivers etc. and that bridge you pass over to the first dungeon. Then thinking it would be cool traveling around the world on the river if the bridge gave in. Entering the caves and dungeons soon came after.. having characters as cameos and some enemies as hazards. Wouldn't it be cool to even have the old man as a very ultra rare moment attack the players.. A character's final smash that covers the entire stage activate it?

Looking forward to the next round! :D

I came in second? That went better than expected.
Looking forward to the next round.
Croco...look your back dude and congrats. XP
AND.. Older.. ugh. Almost 30 in 2 more years.. :(

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
103 with a Bronze? Pretty good for me! Congrats Croco!

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I got last,but I'm ok with that. Zelda isn't really one of my strong points anyway. I'm sure I'll do better in the future

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Hmmm, just the middle of the pack. Maybe next time I'll do better.

Here's hoping for a Mario round next!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
We're starting Round 2 and we're off to a giddy start with our next stage topic...

Kirby (3DS)

Through its long existence as a franchise, the Kirby series has given us a taste of a wide variety of locations. With a substantial showing on both portable and home consoles, this round will task you all with formulating a stage based on the portable side of the pink hero's history. There has been no new Kirby stage revealed for either version of the game yet, so let your imagination and dreams pour like a fountain. You might want to keep in mind past stages from this series, however.​

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
well, i got a close 8th place out of 11... a tad bit lower than i would have liked, but i feel the grading was fair. i think if i had elaborated a bit more with certain things my score would be higher Xl but i didn't get last so that's cool :D

ooh, next round's handheld kirby... i have never played nor do i own any kirby games (unfortunately), so i think i'll bide my time til next round

see you then, and best of luck to those who participate this round!

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Name of Stage: Mirror World
Game of Origin: Kirby & the Amazing Mirror

Description: This stage takes place in the central hub of Kirby & the Amazing Mirror. It is set in a cloudy haven filled with mirrors that Kirby uses to travel from world to world. The stage is bright and sunny, and it is decorated with beautiful architecture such as arches and pillars.
Here is a quick mockup of the layout:

The red represents solid platforms. The blue represents drop-through platforms. The bottom platform is a battlefield-sized cloud. The middle is a shiny blue platform. All the drop-through platforms are clouds.
The yellow dots represent mirrors, which come into play later...

Gimmicks/Hazards: Every now and then during the fight, an enemy will peek out of a mirror and interact with the players! These enemies are:
Waddle Dee - Does it's signature 'beam whip' attack that damages any nearby players.
Sword Knight - Slashes vertically with its sword, slicing and damaging a nearby player.
Sir Kibble - Tosses out a boomerang-like cutter that damages any hit players.
Flamer - Does it's 'fire ball' attack a short distance across the stage before disappearing.
Pengie - Breathes a small flurry of snow and ice that freezes any player it makes contact with.
Foley - Drops directly downwards, exploding onto anybody it collides with.
Glunk - Shoots a few quick projectiles upwards that deal minor damage to players.
Laser Ball - Shoots a quick laser projectile that damages players, and can reflect off of shields.
Cupie - Shoots an arrow that travels in an arc, dealing minor damage to anybody it hits.
One of these enemies appears about every 30-60 seconds and can come out of any random mirror. Their attacks usually just last a mere few seconds.

Unlockable?: No.

Extra: Some tunes:
Rainbow Route
Mirror World
Moonlight Mansion
Green Greens
Candy Constellation
vs. Dark Mind
Butter Building
Fountain of Dreams

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Amazing Mirror is one of my favorite Kirby games, so I had lots of fun coming up with this stage!
I'm hopeful that I will do better than last time. Hope you all enjoy!

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
THE ARENA- "Test your might, and leave others in the dust!"

Game of Origin: Kirby Super Star (1993); Kirby Super Star Ultra (2008)
Description: The legendary arena that debuted in Kirby Super Star and has appeared in nearly every game since in some form. While Super Star was originally on the SNES, the Arena became a far bigger focus with it's DS remake in 2008, creating three types of The Arena. I felt like this new prominence on the Arena better belonged on a handheld than the console, seeing how it's appeared a bit more as the "Official" Arena on handhelds. This battlefield is set in the middle of the arena.
-Stats:
Size Compared to Battlefield- Slightly larger
Blast Zones- All
Ceiling- Very High
Wall Zones- Wide
Attachment below!
View attachment 9023
The Red Box is a basic display of Mario relative to the stage.
Black Lines represent the impassible boundaries in the stage with the small dimples being grabable ledges.
Gray Lines represent passthrough platforms.
The Blue circles are "spawn zones" for the special gimmick.

Gimmicks/Hazards: On occasion, enemies will come and enter the stage, as this is an arena where challengers appear left and right and above. They can and will hurt you, though it's not broken. They will spawn in any of the zones once every 15 seconds, usually there will be two that will appear. The following can enter:
=Waddle Dee- Generally the weakest. They do 2% if they attack you.
=Waddle Doo- Behaving like actual Waddle Doos do. Their beam does 5%. Uncommon.
=Bronto Burt- They fly around and take only a few hits. Hitting them nabs you 3%.
=Scarfy- These will explode, but they rarely appear and can easily be taken out. If they hit you, they will explode. Does 15% and has high knockback. Rare.
=Parasol Waddle Dee- Floats down slowly on a parasol and will walk off the stage. They will do 3% on contact.
=Sir Kibble- Hops around and swings his sword. Each swing does 6%. They are durable. Rare.
=Poppy Bros- They behave similar to Waddle Doos, but throw bombs instead. One bomb does 9% and has weak knockback. Uncommon.
=Bonkers- Takes a lot more damage compared to most enemies, but he is slower and stronger. He will mostly use his hammer, attacks ranging from 4% contact on certain attacks to 20% on attacks such as the Fire Swing. Rarest enemy. He can only appear once every match.

Unlockable: It seems rather fitting to have it as an unlocked stage, ready to play immediately. This is Dedede's home stage.

Extra:
-Graphics + Filter:
While unrelated to stage design or hazards, the Arena will have one of three preset backdrops when it is selected. This can be set via input, but otherwise it is 100% random. In the crowd, characters such as Dark Meta Knight, Magalor, Drawcia, Dark Matter and many other villains and enemies will appear.

Daytime- Default Arena. The titular arena.
Evening- Helper To Hero Arena. Set during the evening.
Red Arena- The True Arena. Darker atmosphere.
Note that these have no actual effect on gameplay and are there for imagery.
-Sound:
The tracks would mostly focus on boss themes and the like, in addition to Dedede's theme.
The Arena (Return to Dreamland)
C-R-O-W-N-E-D (Return to Dreamland)
The King (Return to Dreamland)
Helper to Hero (Super Star Ultra)
The Coliseum (Super Star Ultra)
Dark Meta Knight (Triple Deluxe)
The Queen (Triple Deluxe)
The Masked King (Triple Deluxe)

Last edited:

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
The last kiry didn´t launch on America yet :x
Already have a ideia!

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I'm new here, so hopefully my entry is acceptable.

Stage: Butter Building (Kirby's Adventure, NES)

Its a relatively basic stage, in all honesty. It is located outside the Butter Building, from the namesake NES stage. Similiar to the attached image I found off Google images. Butter Building.png

Its main quirk is that the main platform spins if there's enough force running to one of the sides, just like the outside of the NES stage. Some areas in the rotation have extra platforms that will also move around in the same manner. And perhaps, if there's enough opposing force when running (like two characters trying to rotate the stage in an opposite direction), the ground would rip open, creating a big hole, with occassional gusts of wind coming out trying to suck the player in. The hole would prevent any more rotations. Sometimes, Bronto Burts would fly around as an additional stage hazard, but if there is still a hole in the ground, they might start trying to fill it with star blocks.

Music:

Butter Building (new remix)
Butter Building (Kirby's Adventure)
Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
Patch Castle (Kirby's Epic Yarn)

Ascended

Smash Ace
Imma allow Butter Building for three reasons:

1) Nightmare in Dreamland on the GBA is a remake of Kirby's Adventure.
2) 3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure on the 3DS.
3) Kirby's Adventure is one of my personal favorite NES games, and probably my favorite Kirby game. :D

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Just to set the record straight, we're not too strict with the rules. You can post handheld/console stages in opposing rounds. You might get a few points docked, but we'll count them. Locations that pass the "criteria" through loopholes such as remakes are generally acceptable, if a bit uncreative. For the sake of your score, though, it's definitely better to focus on the theme of the round as closely as possible. We still won't accept submissions that are blatantly ignoring the guidelines, of course, such as stages from different series and examples like that.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Oh boy, can't wait to do this one.
How long do these rounds usually last again?

Dairz

Smash Ace
Yay, round 2! I've never thought up a stage before, but I like me some Kirby. Lets give this a shot, using my favorite handheld Kirby game.

Name of Stage: Grass Land
Stage Origin: Kirby's Dreamland 2

Description: The relaxing and peaceful Grass Land. Mostly flat, with tall hills to the left, and a small body of water to the right. The stage is fairly large, with walk-off zones on both sides. Occasionally, some of Kirby's animal friends will show up and cause mischief. They're just playing around, but they're still able to hurt players.

Picture of stage:
grass land.png

Gimmick/Hazards: Every 25-35 seconds, an animal friend will randomly appear. There are 3 animal friends, Rick, Coo, and Kine.
Rick: Rick jumps out of a bush, and walks slowly around across the flat part. After a short while, Rick waves and jumps back into the bush. Touching Rick does slight damage and knockback.
Coo: Coo swoops down from the sky and hovers in an area, before flying near the pond. Coo does a pose, then flies back up. Touching Coo does slight damage, but knocks back fairly well.
Kine: Kine swims up from the bottom, and floats in the pond. Kine will suck up any player that gets too close to him, and hold them for a few seconds before spitting them out, dealing no damage. Kine twirls and swims back down.

Unlockable?: Yes, beat classic as Kirby on normal or higher to unlock.

Extras:
Music:
Grass Land
Kine the Fish
Quilty Square
Big Forest (Triple Deluxe)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Name of Stage: Fine Field
Stage Origin: Kirby Triple Deluxe

General Description: It has been tradition in the Smash Brothers franchise for there to be a stage based on Green Greens with the iconic Kirby boss Whispy Woods being the main hazard for this stage. This time around, the tradition continues with a new twist!
Instead of Whispy Woods, Flowery Woods (Triple Deluxe's version of Whispy) will be the one to mess with the fighters!
(le crude layout)
The stage itself is also inspired by the original Dreamland stage and the first stage in Kirby Fighters (as it shares the basic layout).

The stage is a walk-off, meaning you can be KO'd in any direction but downward. The stage itself is a tad bit larger than battlefield, but with (again) no way to fall off of the stage. Players are able to go through of the platforms, barring the main one for obvious reasons. As is tradition with Kirby stages, I imagine that the ceiling would be pretty high up, but the walls are a tad shorter than they are in Battlefield.

Hazards: This stage's main hazard is Flowery Woods. Most of the time, he just watches the battle. Occasionally, he'll do one of three things.
• [Rare] Flowery Woods may send his roots forward and spear through the stage, this would cause damage to anybody who comes in contact with them. There wouldn't be as much as there are in this photo, but I imagine maybe two coming out at a time.

• [Somewhat Common] Flowery Woods will shake about, then pollen blobs drop from his starry flower head and bounce into the foreground! Come in contact with this blobs will do a small amount of damage, sometimes they may stay in the foreground and can be used as items to toss at opponents (ala Whispy's Apples in Melee)!

• [Common] Much like Whispy before him, Flowery will also blow a fierce wind to the left or right of the stage! This will slowly push opponents to the left or right, depending on where he's facing of course.

Unlockable?: No, this stage would be available right from the get go!

Extras: The stage would be covered in a lush green environment with several trees in the background behind Flowery Woods with the foreground and the area surrounding Flowery Woods to be mostly covered with Flowers and Grass.
You may even see some common Kirby enemies flying around in the background!
As for Music in this stage, I have a small selection to start off with.
Fine Field (Kirby Triple Deluxe)
Kirby Fighters (Kirby Triple Deluxe)
Big Forest (Kirby Triple Deluxe / Kirby's Dreamland 2)
Main Theme / Forest Area (Kirby Mass Attack)

Rainbow Route (Kirby & The Amazing Mirror)
Cookie Country (Kirby's Return to Dream Land)
Green Greens (Super Smash Bros. Melee)

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I didnt even notice it was for 3DS specifics. Good thing though, because I picture Butter Building working better on the 3DS, better for mimicking the quasi-3Dness of the original.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I hope it isn't a problem if I made a couple of changes to Fine Fields. There's still like four days left so there shouldn't be an issue with me doing that?

Last edited:

josh bones

Smash Lord
Name of Stage: Castle Dedede
Stage origin: Kirby Dreamland
untitled.png

Description: The classic Kirby arena is finally in smash. It's a composite from all of his castles in the day. Bandanna dee is the audience, cheering, except when you play as him.
Gimmicks: Bandanna dee will sometimes walk around, spearing anyone who gets close. He can be hit away very easily, he will not appear if you choose Bandanna Dee.
Unlockable?: Yes: Play as Dedede 5 times.
Extras: King dedede can converse with waddle dee for tips on the characters.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I hope it isn't a problem if I made a couple of changes to Fine Fields. There's still like four days left so there shouldn't be an issue with me doing that?
Make any changes you wish before the due date. Everything gets "locked in" when the deadline closes, so we only count whatever's included in the post at the time of the round's end.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Make any changes you wish before the due date. Everything gets "locked in" when the deadline closes, so we only count whatever's included in the post at the time of the round's end.
Great!
Thank you for answering my question.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Edit: Shoot, this is the 3DS Kirby stage.
This was initially a City Trial entry, and I know I'd be allowed to enter it, but I think I'll save it until it's more appropriate​

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
103 with a Bronze? Pretty good for me! Congrats Croco!
I just realized your stage idea might actually happen. And I think it's pretty likely now.

http://youtu.be/xvudMu-5kIU
The first trailer for Smash Bros Wii U
0:27
The Twilight Princess Hyrule Castle is literally in the trailer, right next to Twilight Princess Link. Dang, I hope it's a stage.
It looks more reminiscent to the Twilight Princess Hyrule Castle model and field in the background of Brawl's Bridge of Eldin, but it is still pretty different. But they probably would use an existing model in the previous Smash Bros game, and I've seen quite a few requests for N64's Hyrule Castle to return, although it's so under-detailed, so this would make a good alternative. I think your idea makes complete sense.
It's such a detailed version... why would they update this castle just to put it in one trailer for 3 seconds?
I wonder if all of this Twilight Princess stuff hints at something Twilight Princess related in the future...
Zelda U = Twilight Princess 2 please.
I mean, the demo could serve as a hint for this too.
Which would only support a Twilight Princess stage! :bee:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Aww yeah. It's Kirby Time!

Name of Stage: Milky Way Wishes
Game of Origin: Kirby Super Star Ultra
Description: Milky Way Wishes operates in a similar fashion to Delfino Plaza. It is divided into two main phases:

Phase 1: Travel Phase: This is the phase that starts the stage off. It consists of a large main platform, a smaller passable platform above and two passable side platforms; altogether it resembles a trapezoid, with the side platforms half way between the top and bottom platforms. The side platforms angle varies every time the Travel Phase is initiated. 50% of the time they will be strictly horizontal and flat, but there is an equally likely 25% chance that the platforms could be angled inward or outward. The stage will fly around in space for a short while before switching to Phase 2.

Phase 2: Landing Phase: Eventually the Travel Phase stage will land down on one of the six Milky Way planets; the order in which planets are visited is randomized every time the stage is played, but all planets will be visited in a full loop before the cycle restarts. Each planet has it's own layout and the battle resumes on the new stage until the Travel Phase stage layout returns from the bottom of the screen, lifts you back into space and resumes Phase 1 again.

MilkyWayStage.jpg
Color Key: Red lines are solid ground, Yellow lines are passable platforms, Purple lines are destructible ground, and grey lines are just guides not actually visible in-game.

Gimmicks/Hazards: The Travel Phase stage is fairly straight forward, with the exception of the tilting side platforms, so no special gimmicks there. As for the planets:
  • Grass Planet Floria has a main section of ground with a slope on the left side. On the right is a passable platform extending past the length of the main stage. This area will actually go through all 4 seasons before you depart; during winter, the ground will become slippery, hampering player traction on the ground.
  • Water Planet Aquarius is much flatter, with a pool of water in the middle that players can drown in. There are two star blocks floating above the water that can be used as a platform, but will break apart after taking a cumulative 25% damage and won't return until you re-visit the planet. This area has walk-off edges.
  • Wind Planet Skyhigh features a main structure with a slope in the middle. The left side as a man-sized pillar that cannot be passed through and can serve as a barrier to recovery. To the left is a cloud platform that can be passed through, however if you stay standing on it for too long, it will dissipate and reform a few seconds later.
  • Flame Planet Hotbeat is another flat stage, with fire blocks surrounding the area; touching the fire will deal damage and knock you into the air (like the lava in Metroid stages). The cracked blocks on the ground can be destroyed with just 7% damage each, revealing more fire blocks in their place (the cracked blocks won't return until a planet re-visit). Two passable bridge platforms are unevenly placed above the stage for a temporary respite.
  • Machine Planet Mekkai has two levels with walk-off edges, a solid bottom level and a passable top level. They are connected via an elevator that can be controlled by any player inside it; pressing up will cause it to rise and pressing down will cause it to drop. You can pass through every side of the elevator except the bottom. Try not to be beneath the elevator when it comes down; a crafty player can deal heavy damage by using it to crush you.
  • Eternal Star Halfmoon is the widest and simplest stage. No special hazards or gimmicks here unless you count the very uneven terrain. This is the only planet where you can pass under the main stage area.
Unlockable?: No, available from the get go.

Extra: During the Travel Phase, you can see the various planets in the background, as well as Popstar, Nova, and the Sun and Moon fighting. On Floria, as the seasons change, you will notice leaves clutter the ground during autumn (which you can kick up as you run) and snow will cover the ground in winter. On Halfmoon, if you run along the stars, you will kick up stardust into the air. On all six planets you will see Waddle Dees, Waddle Doos, Bronto Burts, and other enemies roaming around in the background.

Music Samples:
Milky Way Wishes
Green Greens
Nebula Belt
F-L-O-W-E-R
Minecart Area (Great Cave Offensive)
Kirby Collecting
Vs. Marx
Masked Dedede's Theme
Kirby's Triumphant Return

Oh god, this one almost killed me putting it together...

Last edited:

Croco

Smash Lord
Name of Stage: Bubbly Clouds

Game of Origin: Kirby's Dream Land

Description: 'Bubbly Clouds' has appeared in almost every major Kirby game. It begins at a temple on the ground. Lightning from above strikes and the stage ascends upward lifted by a large cloud. I will be using graphics from the original gameboy game to illustrate the stage design. As the temple moves upward it travels through the clouds in the background very slowly. A gust of wind from the left forces the temple to flow the right. Small clouds that can be walked on flow past the stage from right to left. In the background you can see pillars floating in the distance between the clouds. The Mr. Shine 'boss' can be seen in the distance floating past the clouds.

The temple then slams into a large pillar from the right and a gust of wind blows the stage upward. As the temple rises the clouds slowly vanish and the sky turns into a star filled space. Finally slowing down to a stop you can see the Mr. Bright 'boss' in the background sleeping peacefully. 'Marx' then appears slamming into Mr. Bright awakening him. A battle ensues between them in the distance.

The stage's colors change into a purple dark haze. Then Mr. Shine appears helping Mr. Bright in battle. The entire battle between Mr. Bright, Mr. Shine, and Marx only is there as a distraction and decoration. Moments later Kracko emerges from the temple roof. Mr. Bright, Mr. Shine, and Marx stop look over and Kracko fires giant bolts at them all. Marx is seen fleeing; Mr. Shine with tears floats downward, Mr. Bright returns to his spot and falls asleep. Kracko then turns and returns to the temple. (On very rare occasions Kracko Jr. actually stops the battle between Mr. Bright, Mr. Shine, and Marx)

A bolt of lightning emerges from the broken roof. The temple falls back to the ground past the clouds. A minute later after being on the ground the stage again lifts upward and it repeats.

Part 1: (red means stable ground to walk on..)

Part 2 to the space section:

Gimmicks/Hazards: The moving clouds which players can land on are the only gimmick. The stage characters do not attack the players.

Unlockable?: Yes.
Play the game 12 hours from 00:00 to 12:00 and 12 hours from 12:00 to 24:00 totaling 24 hours..
This can be done in any stage.. even in the single player mode if there is one.

Extra:

Graphics- Based on the recent 'Kirby: Triple Deluxe' game and be taken directly from it.

Music- (Song would be even more amazing if it was orchestrated)
Triple Deluxe
Canvas Curse - Tiny Town
Dreamland (Gameboy)
Epic Yarn
Superstar

Hopefully the music sounds like this-
The Grand Finale of the Starry Sky - Bubbly Clouds (Cirrus Remix)

Boss characters that appear as described above..

Mr. Shine & Mr. Bright-

Marx-

Kracko-

Kracko Jr.-

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Kirby you say? Since I'm the big 3DS guy, I present to you the 3DS exclusive Kirby stage!!!

Kirby Fighters
from...

Description:

But Capps, that game isn't out yet!?!?!? Right you are! So on May 2nd when the game comes to the US, Sakurai will announce the new Kirby stages based on the Kirby Fighter minigame (that highly resembles Smash Bros) as an exclusive stage for the 3DS! The stage will take through through the various arenas you can fight in within the Kirby fighters special mode and include fun cameos from the Kirby world!

We'll start with the first portion of the stage where you begin the battle:

We don't want to go TOO crazy from the start! A simple three platform layout that we are accustomed to in Smashbros to begin, though as a different twist to that usual formula there are walkoffs on both sides allow the players to get "warmed up" and into the battle before their world get's turned upside down!

Look! It's Lolo and Lala! Famous in the world of Kirby they also come from some excellent puzzle games (some on handheld), this 3DS exclusive stage has an awesome cameo. They also don't make the battle any easier! They push Gordos across the screen as a VERY steady pace to allow players to adjust during the fight. You never know which direction or from which platform they'll come through though! And watch out while trying to keep safe, those thick platforms can't be jumped through. The sides serve as walls on this portion of the stage, no walk off this time!

You were just VERY cramped, let's give you a moment to relax (or at least relax as much as you can during a game of smash). You now find yourself on a completely flat stage with walkoffs to both sides. Enjoy your freedom while you can...

Not as closed in before, keeeping the transition a bit easier for you. You'll find yourself in a fighting arena being watched by tons of cameo Kirby characters! The two platforms do serve as walkoffs, but the walls below them are, well, walls :p Occationally an item (like the dynamite you see in the picture) will spawn on one of the platforms allowing players to try and use it for their own ends (think of Birdo on Mushroom Kingdom 2).

STOP! Hammer Time! Oh no hammers! Fortunately they give you plenty of warning before they strike, but if you get hit beware! As there is so little room the hammers wont send you flying off the screen, instead they leave you in a dizzy state (like a shield break). Don't worry though, they won't strike too often either, we don't want EVERYONE to be squished! There are walkoff edges on both sides.

Gimmicks/Hazards​
: The stage does go through transformations about every 40 seconds, with a slight transitioning phase (similar to Castle Siege). However for the transition you will be flying through a beautiful starfield.
Unlockable?: Nope! It starts out unlocked.

Extra:

Music Tracks Could Include Masked DeDeDe and F-L-O-W-E-R

To reference some other Kirby handheld titles of fame these songs can be unlocked:
Do The Kirby (From Kirby Tilt n' Tumble)
Title Screen (From Kirby: Squeek Squad)
Training (Kirby: Canvas Curse)
Great Devil Final Battle (Adventures of Lolo)

Thanks for considering my stage, I hope you all enjoyed giving it a look through!

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
So a 3ds Kirby stage?
Kirby lives in Dream Land, but oddly this theme almost never appears: dreams.

Name of Stage: Sleepy red canyon

Game of Origin: Kirby's Dream Land 2

The stage takes place in the red canyon of Kirby's Dream Land 2:

This one's gonna be a HUGE stage like Zelda II Temple on Melee and New Pork City.
The stage starts at the little place like the first picture shows, the difference is that there is no floor, only the plataforms with the door on the front will be there (but no doors showing). Like a summit, you can die if launched to the sides and down.

What makes this stage huge is....Kirby´s Animal Friends:

Remember them? Yes they are gonna be on this stage: Coo, Kine and Rick are sleeping quietly in background. Their dreams start growing until they take over the sky and are incorporated as the plataform. The dreams appear one at a time.

Rick´s Dream:

His dream is based on the first stage of Kirby's Dream Land 2:

When his dream appears, a little "windown" shows up with this first stage scrolling slowly. Kirby and Rick can be seen in the background walking together and having a good time. All the dreams are black and white like the original game because of the hardware: the original Game Boy. But this makes a cool contrast with the colorful characters and the red sky from the Red canyon. There is nothing "holding" the dream, if you are slow you can fall off from that dream´s window.

Coo´s Dream:

His dream is basead on another stage from Kirby's Dream Land 2:

This dream is always scrolling up, with a lot of plataforms and stairs to help you climb. In the background you can see Kirby and Coo flying and playing together. It's a happy dream after all.

The last dream: Kine´s Dream.

Another dream basead on another stage from the classic Kirby's Dream Land 2

This stage doesn´t scroll and takes place in the location marked on the image above. You can see Kirby and Kine surfing together in the background! Oh...what is this? The water is not that deep, you can walk there - but watch out: the water is falling out of this dream's "window", so don´t stay too much time in there or you can be dragged by the current to the oblivion!

Gimmicks/Hazards: The dreams are the gimmick, when they appear they stay for at least 1:30 min. After the dream ends and another one appears randomly. Dark Matter rarely shows up and "destroys" the dream, making the players fall to the "normal stage" Red Canyon.

Unlockable?: No, it is there from the beginning.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Screw this, browser ate my draft while error happened during posting. So I'll submit incomplete one for starters. EDIT: Filling in is pretty much finished, but drafts work unintuitively I guess.

Stage name: Dedede Towers
Game of origin: Kirby's Dream Land 2 and- wait, one?
Description: Trivia: where did Kirby fight Dedede the most? If you answered: in the King's boxing ring, fair enough, this happened a few times. Interestingly however, in all "Dark Matter Trilogy" games (KDL2, KDL3, K64) devs put Dedede fights on tops of towers.

Given that the Punch-Out stage is a Punch-Out stage to quiet embarassment of some, a Dedede specific arena wouldn't hurt after the Halberd. I don't consider Fountain of Dreams to be a Dedede stage by the way - Melee got no Dedede, Brawl got no Fountain, so uh, one fight doesn't change that much.
The stage features a big main platform and two brick "blocks" of "fence" on the sides (slightly taller than Dedede), all solid, as well as walls extending from below blocks. Each wall contains a window significantly below the block; both windows and blocks are equipped with ledges.

Gimmicks: Dedede Towers is actually composed of three very gameplay-similar stages, each inspired by Dark Matter Trilogy game's tower, with backgrounds based on levels in each game (KDL2 - triangular mountains from everywhere as well as Dark Castle, Iceberg in KDL3, Pop Star in K64). All feature Kirby's friends from corresponding games sitting in the background watching the match. You switch between these in Mushroomy Kingdom like manner.
When you enter the window, for example by climbing the corresponding ledge, you get thrown onto main platform from doors in a block. Which block is it? Depends on the stage variation. KDL2 tower throws you from corresponding block, KDL3 one - from opposite one, K64 one - always from the left one.
Unlockable: Only if Dedede is, then tied to him.
Music: A new remix of Dedede's theme and remixed Dark Castle theme of KDL2 for starters. Unlockables could include Koo's Theme from KDL2, KDL3 Iceberg theme and K64 Alternate Dedede's theme.
Extra visual effects: Weather can get stormier if everybody has at most one stock, or during Sudden Death.
Extra gameplay effects: This stage is too mild for you? Consider spawning by being thrown onto main platform, similar to the window gimmick. This could be limited to "versus computer team" stages, if you prefer.

Request to judges: Please specify in the rating notes if you consider this to fit portable version or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom