• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/WiiU - Stage Contest - Round 14 - Kid Icarus

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
It is due to this thread that I traded in a few games today and bought Awakening. I've gotta pace myself though. Got a bus trip on Wednesday and need something to do. I promise not to change my entry even if I find something better in the new game lol

Edit: Sigh. It's awesome. Check out the new sig..

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
It is due to this thread that I traded in a few games today and bought Awakening. I've gotta pace myself though. Got a bus trip on Wednesday and need something to do. I promise not to change my entry even if I find something better in the new game lol
Make sure you set it on permadeath! Good luck!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Come on people! Join in the fun!! Fight for your friends!
I'm actually pretty satisfied with this round, all levels so far have been of my liking, I loved the Super Mario round but the glaring lack of Galaxy... :c

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
We should do a retro stage for the next round.
Then we all choose the same series for that stage to be from, then we wait for that stage along with its character to be shown at E3.

THIS THREAD CAN CONTROL THE UNIVERSE!!!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Then we all choose the same series for that stage to be from, then we wait for that stage along with its character to be shown at E3.

If this were true, I'd have made "Pac-Man stage" the very first round. Not a bad theory, though.

TheMarioaddict

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheMarioaddict
3DS FC
0130-1812-3778
Switch FC
SW-4314-7715-8313
Guys...Don't freak out here, but...I think I'm magical. I'm magic.
Just remain calm... and if you would be so kind as to type the words "Banjo and Kazooie should be playable in the new smash bros", then I won't kill you I would be very grateful.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
...in case of magic I'm just going to leave this here..

Edit: So when is this round concluding/grading and stuff? I'm stoked to design a new stage.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Consider it closed. I apologize for any lateness on our parts. Most of us are busy, or, even if it's not a good excuse, distracted by E3.
Oh no I definitely get it I just wanted to check about it. It's all very exciting for us contestants

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

WE NEED A CAPTAIN TOAD TREASURE TRACKER ROUND, STAT!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
You guys I keep creating stages on the off chance that there's a round I can use them in lol

I really wish I started coming to this thread earlier. My DK idea is not so useful now

Edit: I have to say, if I had played Awakening before this round I probably would have picked the Midmire as a stage. Grima's back is a cool concept too though.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
You guys I keep creating stages on the off chance that there's a round I can use them in lol

I really wish I started coming to this thread earlier. My DK idea is not so useful now

Edit: I have to say, if I had played Awakening before this round I probably would have picked the Midmire as a stage. Grima's back is a cool concept too though.
Glad to see you're enjoying Awakening. You know, there's still the 3DS Donkey Kong round we could always end up doing, so maybe your stage can be used or reworked for that occasion!

Dreadfully sorry for the delay on the grades, folks. I've basically got mine done. Maybe you can help pressure the other judges to finish.

:4marth::4myfriends: Marth and Ike are unamused from this wait, I'm sure.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
If I did enter, I think that Demon's Ingle (the volcano place from Awakening) would be my choice.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
If I did enter, I think that Demon's Ingle (the volcano place from Awakening) would be my choice.
I thought of that too, there are several good locations in Awakening. Though I'm not at all surprised that they went with Regna Ferox

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I thought of that too, there are several good locations in Awakening. Though I'm not at all surprised that they went with Regna Ferox
Actually, Arena Ferox sucks ass compared to Dragon's Table...

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Actually, Arena Ferox sucks *** compared to Dragon's Table...
Oh I agree, I wouldn't have picked it. But at the same time it's recognizable for those who didn't play the game very long (Does the demo get that far?), it's non-spoilery and, well, it is an arena specifically for fighting lol. Not my choice but I get it

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Oh I agree, I wouldn't have picked it. But at the same time it's recognizable for those who didn't play the game very long (Does the demo get that far?), it's non-spoilery and, well, it is an arena specifically for fighting lol. Not my choice but I get it
I do get it, I just think Importance should always trump potential spoilers, like Spear Pillar. I've always had the opinion that Mario content on Smash should be geared towards Mario fans, FE content towards FE fans, etc.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I do get it, I just think Importance should always trump potential spoilers, like Spear Pillar. I've always had the opinion that Mario content on Smash should be geared towards Mario fans, FE content towards FE fans, etc.
Definitely. While a stage riding on Deathwing Grima's back would definitely be spoilery, it'd also be a huge shoutout to FE fans and honestly I think it'd probably interest a lot of people enough to try the game. Compare to Castle Siege from Brawl, where it does nothing really to interest you in the series since it looks exactly how you'd think it would just by being semi-familiar with the three FE reps Smash has had

Edit: Question, completely unrelated to how I spend my free time in regard to this thread. Do remakes count toward criteria? For example, if the round were Mario on 3DS, would I be able to use stages based on Mario 64 because there was a remake on the DS? Or really any Mario game before Gamecube because I'm pretty sure they were all released on a handheld at some point? Or, I suppose, Donkey Kong on the 3DS round that was alluded to earlier. If we didn't count the remade titles released on GBA we'd have a very shallow pool of possibilities. Please advise, thanks!

Last edited:

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Do remakes count toward criteria? For example, if the round were Mario on 3DS, would I be able to use stages based on Mario 64 because there was a remake on the DS?
I came in second during during my first round (Kirby 3DS), with a Butter Building stage based off Kirby's Adventure. I think it's safe to say that, while it's not preferred, remakes do count.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Remakes do count, yes. The judges here don't necessarily agree with Sakurai on allowing such exceptions to occur, but because they're fair game for Sakurai, they're fair game for the contest. In extreme examples, the creativity score will suffer, obviously. I mean, if we're doing, say, Metroid (Wii U), there's no logic in making a stage based on, say, Hunters, when there are plenty of more suitable Metroid games to pull from.

Also keep in mind that there's nothing prohibiting anyone from making generic stages simply based on general aspects of a series, instead of specific games, such as Jungle Japes. That's perfectly fine as well.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Cool beans. Thanks guys.

So it's been 12 days since the beginning of this round...

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
It was skipped over in the demo. They went straight to Chrom, Lissa, and Frederick the Destroyer finding you in a field.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
While we're waiting and since it won't count anyway..

Midmire (From Fire Emblem Awakening)

I have done an absolutely awful job of cobbling together this photo. I can't seem to get what's in my head into my photoshop. Also I like to work with images straight from the source material and the internet is being a jerk about letting me find screenshots of this stage. So I took pictures from my 3DS...

Anyway. So this is definitely like the most emotional stage in the game. Following a majorly feels-heavy plot point, this stage is the characters grief personified into a location (If that makes sense). The music, the atmosphere, the rain, the everything about the Midmire makes it easily my favorite chapter in a game full of amazing chapters.

The stage for SSB is fairly simple. You fight on these two raised hills, with the rib bones of a creature long since perished surrounding you. It's a bowl of sorts but any character can jump and grab to the ledge if necessary. The left side's small rib isn't touching the hill so you can fall down there as well for a KO. The hills and the bones are ledge-able so you can definitely grab on to save yourself. Take advantage of the bone walls and just keep hitting your opponent into them as they reflect back from it for a wicked combo. The waterfall coming off of the small left side bone is nothing more than a visual effect and has no bearing on gameplay.

The ceiling is high in this stage. The rain comes down but doesn't impair you at all. Adds nothing but additional atmosphere. No additional stage hazards from there. The stage is fairly small aside from the ceiling so it's best played with two players rather than four.

I don't know what possessed me to contribute this to the thread after the round was closed. Especially since I'm kind of dissatisfied with the final result. But I think I've got the general concept down.

One and only track: http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=Ro0fu3rS2z8&p=n

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
YOU PEOPLE SHOULD REALLY PLAY MORE NINTENDO GAMES!

Here are the grades! (All three of them...)
[collapse=D-idara's Grades]Bern Keep by Kevandre
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 7/10
Playability: 9/10
OK, I was going to give 3 Popularity because the actual story event happens inside the castle, but with Roy's unfortunate Melee-based popularity, his game became more well-known. Now, the stage layout looks as standard as they get, and although I do like the new twist on the rideable stage hazard mechanic, I still think it's too similar to Corneria's Arwings. Now, although the Dragons blazing out of the screen when hit does sound a little too powerful, I think I would happen rarely enough to not warrant a lower Playability score, overall solid stage!
Total: 21

The Place of Sacrifice by CommanderRin
Popularity:
5/5
Playability: 10/10
This place will always be burned into the mind of anyone who played Fire Emblem: Awakening as one of the most memorable and remembered events on the game's story, so the Popularity score...well, duh! Now, while I love the concept of a stage based on an specific story event and the stage being more inmersive and atmospheric than gameplay-based, I think you wasted the location with a standard Battlefield/FD layout, especially the second part where the elephant-graveyard setting would've made for some pretty creative platform setups using bones, I love the visuals, but I just think the layout doesn't do the locations justice. Now, there doesn't seem to be anything that would hinder the stage, so 10/10 Playability.
Total: 22

Flames on The Blue Sea by Radical Beam
Popularity: 3/5
I would've given you one more Popularity point, but the stage's missing the one thing that gives the chapter the name, and I feel that without the fire scene, this location could easily be seen as 'that dock from FE:A' rather than the awesome showcase of Robin's tactical thinking. Now, the layout IS unusual, and the fighting on the background looks nice, but I just think the stage needs some more aesthetic elements to make it stand out, I don't know, a spark that makes it fire up the competition! Now, I don't see anything that could hinder a match, I mean, the stage's a little big, but not enough to be a problem, I think.
Total: 20

Castle Siege by evildevil97
Everything:
0/10
-10/10 wouldn't play :troll:
No, seriously, Castle Siege sucks as a stage and as a FE stage.[/collapse]
[collapse=BridgesWithTurtles' Grades]Bern Keep by Kevandre
Popularity:
3/5
Creativity: 6/10
Total: 19/25
I'm glad to see there are still others who care about Roy, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a stage not based on Awakening as our first entry. Bern Keep is a perfectly playable stage. Hazards are inoffensive and player-triggered, a trend Sakurai seems to be going for that I quite enjoy, so your playability score is perfect. The stage is a bit lackluster in creativity, though. The layout is very standard, and the only unique feature is the wyverns, which are basically exact clones of Corneria's Arwings.

The Place of Sacrifice by CommanderRin
Popularity:
4/5
Creativity: 4/10
Total: 18/25
From what you describe, this stage is perfectly playable. There's nothing wrong in that department. I will say that the stage is hardly plentiful in creativity, however. I don't mean to be a downer, but simply taking the source location and slapping it into Smash Bros. won't really help your score. It certainly doesn't make it a bad stage by any means, but this contest is about judging creativity and innovative thinking. Place of Sacrifice plays it too safe, I'm afraid. It actually is a good stage, all things considered, though you were very vague on details/imagery. More importantly, it isn't a very unique or fresh idea, although you get some credit for the visually unique desert location.

Flames on Blue Sea by Radical Beam
Popularity:
5/5
Total: 22/25
Flames on the Blue Sea is an interesting entry. What it lacks in sheer ingenuity, it makes up for in pleasant simplicity and aesthetic bravado. Battling on the dock's shipyard while battle rages in the background creates a great atmosphere that hasn't really been explored by the series' Fire Emblem stages thus far, but nonetheless gives off a very "Fire Emblem" vibe. It's a snug fit for Smash. The layout and distribution of platforms is rather unique, especially for a stage of this size, and I can see it being conducive to fun gameplay. The rocking boats change up the formula a bit without being too intrusive.[/collapse]
[collapse=Ascended's Grades]Kevandre/Bern Keep
Creativity: 9/10
Total: 21/25
Comments: A cool idea for a stage! I like that it is tied to one of the Smash characters, and I like the concept of the wyverns.

CommanderRin/The Place of Sacrifice
Popularity: 5/5
Creativity: 8/10
Total: 22/25
Comments: I went in not knowing anything about Awakening, so this scene left a major impression on me. I think you've translated the concept into a stage rather well, and it sounds easy to fight on. Good job!

Radical Beam/Flames on the Blue Sea
Creativity: 9/10
Comments: Another stage that has captured the origin perfectly. The only reason I didn't rate this higher on popularity is because I felt it was a random chapter to pick, even though it was one of my favorite chapters. Good job!

evildevil97/Castle Siege
Popularity: 2/5
Creativity: 1/10
Playability: 7/10
Total: 10/25
Comments: (Yes, I know this is a joke entry, I just wanted to grade it for fun.)

Robertman2
Popularity: 5/5
Creativity: ?/10
Playability: ?/10
Total: 5??/25
Comments: This is my ideal Fire Emblem stage, as it was my favorite part of the game and solidified the idea of Awakening being a classic on the 3DS, but there isn't anything to grade based on your description. Sorry dude.[/collapse]
[collapse=Zzuxon's Grades]Kevandre - Bern Keep
Creativity: 6/10
Total: 18/25

Comments: Nice stage. I’m not sure how popular the location is, never played this or any FE game, but it sounds important. Great playability score, only has 1 fairly non-intrusive stage hazard. And the hazard that is there is interesting and can be used strategically.

CommanderRin- The Place of Sacrifice
Playability: 7/10
Creativity: 5/10
Total: 15/25

Comments: I’ve never played this game, though I’d like to. I can’t say how important or popular this location is, so I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt. I honestly am confused by your description of the stage, and your score suffered a bit because of it. I gave a 7 in playability because I got the impression it was mostly similar to final destination, but changes occasionally. The concept of the stage sounds interesting, but without knowing what the different portions of the stage look like, I can’t tell how creative the layout is.

Radical Beam- Flames on a Blue Sea
Creativity:9/10

Comments: Great stage. Again, I haven’t played FE:A, so I’m giving popularity the benefit of the doubt. An balanced layout with no hazards? That gets a good playability score from me. Creativity is great here, the stage is VERY unique without resorting to hazards or gimmicks.[/collapse]
Total Scores:
Kevandre - 79
CommanderRin - 77
Radical Beam - 84
evildevil97 - 10
robertman2 - 5

THE WINNER IS...!
RADICAL BEAM WITH FLAMES ON A BLUE SEA!
[collapse=Flames on a Blue Sea]Name of Stage: Flames on Blue Sea

Game of Origin: This stage originates from FE:A. It’s based on Chapters 12 and 14, combining a few of the elements.

Description: This stage takes place on a dock and the front of two ships. The platform in the middle stretches back into town, where an epic battle rages. The ships on both sides are packed and ready to take off – as long as The Avatar wins the battle. On this stage, many of the characters from FE:A can be seen in the background, battling against those who appose them. There are no stage hazards, the fighting happens purely in the background as an aesthetic element. Here is a diagram:

Gimmicks/Hazards: There are no hazards on this stage. The ships rock a little bit, but nothing major.

Unlockable: Yes. To unlock this stage you must win 10 team battles as the blue team.

Music:

Destiny Ablaze:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy039eKE5eo
I Because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz0X2ybZ3a0
Onslaught Steel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=618d-KRAXqM
Truth, Despair and Hope: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJC9o4owHgM
Gangplank Galleon (Remix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFkK94xjO0Y
The Second Maritime Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br2j2GJRv1g&feature=kp[/collapse]
We got three stages, THREE! But to tell the truth, I quite liked this round, all the stages were stages that I would like to see as a player more than a Stage Contest Judge, especially since two thirds were from my favorite game on the series, unlike the Mario round...and I got someone to buy the greatness of Fire Emblem Awakening, so this was a pretty good round for me! Selfishness!

Mull over the results...we'll post the next round soon!

Top Bottom