• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Battalion - Help Bring Us Out of Hiatus! Apply as a Coder Today!

Elpaso29

Smash Rookie
Are you a spriter? Do you know how much care and effort needs to go into each individual sprite? Showing off what we have, no matter how little, is a celebration to share with our fans!
Actually, I know a thing or two about art and i guess by extension that means spriting.

to be honest i would have joined crusade, but I don't like them
and i would have joined SSF2 but i'm not good enough.
your positivity and optimism is sickening so I did something to shulk. Don't be afraid to look up reference images. mine is far from perfect, but if I was actually on this team, I would spend more time on it before posting it to the public. Put some shade or vibrant color into this jeez.

Shulk is a detailed character, perfect mario before you attempt this guy.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I'd like to talk about the possible new names:
"Super Smash Bros. Elite" sounds... elitist.
"Super Smash Bros. Clash" sounds too much like "Super Smash Flash".
I like "Super Smash Bros. Battalion". I voted for it.
"Super Smash Bros. +" is too bland.
"Super Smash X" sounds too much like the Japanese title of the series, but I like your logo.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
I still think you should polish up sprites before you show them to the public, because Lip looks really janky.

If anything Mario should be the first sprite you finish.

Last edited:

Elpaso29

Smash Rookie
how do you polish a sprite? just pick n click

again, far from perfect but whatever my point is these sprites are crusade level of compressed and undetailed. you can do better i believe in you.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I am far more interested in the engine than in the sprites right now.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
how do you polish a sprite? just pick n click

again, far from perfect but whatever my point is these sprites are crusade level of compressed and undetailed. you can do better i believe in you.
Ummm, sorry, but that Lip sprite just looks worse. First off she's holding the Lip's Stick in the wrong hand (I checked various sprites and artwork from Panel de Pon and the wand was in the correct hand in the first place.)
Second, Lip is looking GIANT, she's almost the size of Shulk (your reworked version included), which I find absurd since that seems to stray away a lot from her original design of "Cute Lil' Fairy Girl". We can't just make characters big because they need to be super detailed, I think it should be a nice mix of size and detail.
As for your reworked Shulk, the artists Shulk DID have a base, his Idle animation in Smash 4 for that matter, while your's seems to just have some original pose. Though I find your reworked hair overall better than the original.
Though I have to agree that sprites like Lip need many touch-ups and maybe I'll notify the artist that some changes need to be made.
Wow, sorry for the block of text I just made.:ohwell:

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
Actually, I know a thing or two about art and i guess by extension that means spriting.

to be honest i would have joined crusade, but I don't like them
and i would have joined SSF2 but i'm not good enough.
your positivity and optimism is sickening so I did something to shulk. Don't be afraid to look up reference images. mine is far from perfect, but if I was actually on this team, I would spend more time on it before posting it to the public. Put some shade or vibrant color into this jeez.

Shulk is a detailed character, perfect mario before you attempt this guy.
Trust me, SSF2 doesn't have very high standards.. lol. You would barely get better by being with them.

Spriting is a very unique artform. It is incredibly limited, and, while an understanding of art concepts can help, it can be very challenging.

Last edited:

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Trust me, the SSF2 doesn't have very high standards.. lol. You would barely get better by being with them.

Spriting is a very unique artform. It is incredibly limited, and, while an understanding of art concepts can help, it can be very challenging.
I can agree with that, you can't just draw good and be able to sprite. I myself am terrible at physical drawing yet I'm a spriter.
Spriting can at times be some hard shiz :substitute:.

Last edited:

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
But really Project X team, you need to finish Mario's base before continuing with this project.

He'll be the height you base everyone off of.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Mario's base is finished.

Obviously we aren't gonna continue using Gregarlinks forever, but for now its fine. We are working very hard, and I hope you look forward to the result.
The reason I'm saying you need to make your own is because everyone's height is off.

Look how short Mario is compared to Shulk.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Trust me, the SSF2 doesn't have very high standards.. lol. You would barely get better by being with them.
very untrue on the part of the former. we have the most complex style guidelines out of all of the smash fangames, which is why our releases tend to take a little longer.

i also really don't think the way to get attention for a fan project that you support is to needlessly attack another that you don't.

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
very untrue on the part of the former. we have the most complex style guidelines out of all of the smash fangames, which is why our releases tend to take a little longer.

i also really don't think the way to get attention for a fan project that you support is to needlessly attack another that you don't.
To be honest, I don't support Super Smash Bros. X either. I don't really want to get it attention, I just like to help fellow spriters improve. If I had to pick one to support, it would definitely be SSF2. I just wish they would work a bit more to teach their artists how to improve.

The reality of the SSF2 team is that their sprites have very flat colors and, at least usually, not the highest quality in terms of animation. Not that I expect the animation to be top notch for a fan game, but the colors are the least they could do. A simple line art and color change would help the game look 50x better than it does now, and I know that as a fact. I'm not saying these things as someone who is attacking SSF2, but as a critic helping fellow artists.

You guys need work.

Last edited:

GyroZeppelli

Smash Rookie
To be honest, I don't support Super Smash Bros. X either. I don't really want to get it attention, I just like to help fellow spriters improve. If I had to pick one to support, it would definitely be SSF2. I just wish they would work a bit more to teach their artists how to improve.

The reality of the SSF2 team is that their sprites have very flat colors and, at least usually, not the highest quality in terms of animation. Not that I except the animation to be top notch for a fan game, but the colors are the least they could do. A simple line art and color change would help the game look 50x better than it does now, and I know that as a fact. I'm not saying these things as someone who is attacking SSF2, but as a critic helping fellow artists.

You guys need work.
No offense but I think that someone who calls pixel art 'limited' doesn't have a very good perspective on Pixel Art lol

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo

The reality of the SSF2 team is that their sprites have very flat colors and, at least usually, not the highest quality in terms of animation. Not that I except the animation to be top notch for a fan game, but the colors are the least they could do. A simple line art and color change would help the game look 50x better than it does now, and I know that as a fact. I'm not saying these things as someone who is attacking SSF2, but as a critic helping fellow artists.

You guys need work.
The color choice is intentional, our style is based off of JUS. Our style intentionally has darker and more "washed-out" colors and 30 FPS animation. If you look at reduxed characters such as Link and Mario you definitely do see fluid motions all the way through and a consistent art style. If you're not fond of it, that's okay, but you can't say they are of "low standards" when it is simply a stylistic choice that you aren't fond of. There is a big difference. Super Smash Land also has a completely different style, but you can't deny that it's a work of art even if they aren't as high resolution or as densely shaded.

I grow tired of new projects popping up and developers jumping immediately on the "SSF2 sucks/is ugly! Our game is gonna be better!" ramble. Nuke Bros. did it, Crusade did it, countless other projects too... It's tired itself out after 10 years. Not only is it bad PR for your project, it's honestly unnecessary.

There is no need for bad blood, community projects should be encouraging each other. That is what SSF2's team stands for. Especially when the majority of a teams developers are/were also active members of the spriting section of the forums dedicated to the project you're attempting to trash, you should really think twice before reposting the same "not up to the standards of a real spriter, such as myself, they really should encourage higher quality standards etc" quote. If you want to pick a quality battle, make your own project look amazing and other projects will notice and step their game up to bat. Friendly competition.

That aside, I think the Super Smash Bros X developers that are hard at work deserve to use their topic to discuss their game. So if anyone wants to discuss SSF2's art style I think it's best to do so in the SSF2 topic rather than sneak dissing in other threads.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I will definitely agree that saying such things about any project's art( or really anything about a project, ) is harsh and that this is also not the place for it ( such as the Crusade bashing we saw a critic do earlier in the thread. ) I also agree that all fan projects should support one another and stay on good terms.
Just one man's opinion.

ZaoMonichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Noaharc10
3DS FC
4398-9530-8610
No offense but I think that someone who calls pixel art 'limited' doesn't have a very good perspective on Pixel Art lol
It is limited. Plain and simple. I've been doing it for over a year, and I definitely know what I'm talking about. In terms of true and traditional pixel art, you are limited in space and color. Even more so when mimicking a certain game system or game, such as the Gameboy or NES. If you really want to argue about this, please PM me. I don't see how you could be a pixel artist or see pixel art and not think the entire point of it is to be limited while still delivering great looking art. It creates a style.

The color choice is intentional, our style is based off of JUS. Our style intentionally has darker and more "washed-out" colors and 30 FPS animation. If you look at reduxed characters such as Link and Mario you definitely do see fluid motions all the way through and a consistent art style. If you're not fond of it, that's okay, but you can't say they are of "low standards" when it is simply a stylistic choice that you aren't fond of. There is a big difference. Super Smash Land also has a completely different style, but you can't deny that it's a work of art even if they aren't as high resolution or as densely shaded.

I grow tired of new projects popping up and developers jumping immediately on the "SSF2 sucks/is ugly! Our game is gonna be better!" ramble. Nuke Bros. did it, Crusade did it, countless other projects too... It's tired itself out after 10 years. Not only is it bad PR for your project, it's honestly unnecessary.

There is no need for bad blood, community projects should be encouraging each other. That is what SSF2's team stands for. Especially when the majority of a teams developers are/were also active members of the spriting section of the forums dedicated to the project you're attempting to trash, you should really think twice before reposting the same "not up to the standards of a real spriter, such as myself, they really should encourage higher quality standards etc" quote. If you want to pick a quality battle, make your own project look amazing and other projects will notice and step their game up to bat. Friendly competition.

That aside, I think the Super Smash Bros X developers that are hard at work deserve to use their topic to discuss their game. So if anyone wants to discuss SSF2's art style I think it's best to do so in the SSF2 topic rather than sneak dissing in other threads.
Fair enough, I'll leave this argument be. Despite my insult earlier, I'd rather not get into an argument over opinion anyhow. If you really do want to know, though, I'm on the Project Unity team, one that is and has been attempting a higher quality version of every other Smash game.

If you'd like, we can discuss this on the MG forums.

I will definitely agree that saying such things about any project's art( or really anything about a project, ) is harsh and that this is also not the place for it ( such as the Crusade bashing we saw a critic do earlier in the thread. ) I also agree that all fan projects should support one another and stay on good terms.
Just one man's opinion.
I agree, I really shouldn't have tried to start an argument. I meant to say that SSF2 doesn't have a style that fits my taste, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

Anyway, let's veer this conversation back to Project X. KBG, how do you plan on directing your graphics? Or, if you don't deal with that section, can anyone who is a part of the Project X team shed some light on how future art might look or current art will be altered? Remember, my offer to help anyone on the forum with pixel art is still out there.

Last edited:

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Anyway, let's veer this conversation back to Project X. KBG, how do you plan on directing your graphics? Or, if you don't deal with that section, can anyone who is a part of the Project X team shed some light on how future art might look or current art will be altered? Remember, my offer to help anyone on the forum with pixel art is still out there.
I don't know about the other sprites, but I myself am doing some changes to the Chorus Kids sprite (which btw I was the spriter).
:substitute:

Last edited:

Lisnovski

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0275-7440-3622
Most of these sprites are Jagged, Pillowshaded and Banding.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Thank you TSON. I will officially say that our team supports all other Smash fangame projects, so please do not diss ours or theirs.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It is limited. Plain and simple. I've been doing it for over a year, and I definitely know what I'm talking about. In terms of true and traditional pixel art, you are limited in space and color. Even more so when mimicking a certain game system or game, such as the Gameboy or NES. If you really want to argue about this, please PM me. I don't see how you could be a pixel artist or see pixel art and not think the entire point of it is to be limited while still delivering great looking art. It creates a style.

Fair enough, I'll leave this argument be. Despite my insult earlier, I'd rather not get into an argument over opinion anyhow. If you really do want to know, though, I'm on the Project Unity team, one that is and has been attempting a higher quality version of every other Smash game.

If you'd like, we can discuss this on the MG forums.

I agree, I really shouldn't have tried to start an argument. I meant to say that SSF2 doesn't have a style that fits my taste, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

We are planning on improving our sprites later once we've got the basics done. We want something to be presentable, and then make it nicer later on. Furthermore, we are actually working on Mario's sprite improvements now.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe this project was presented a little too early...
We really have nothing else to do but to critizise the sprites...

Still i want this project to succeed at least somewhat even though i can't code or sprite :/

Chazman2000

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4940-6816-9641
I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe this project was presented a little too early...
We really have nothing else to do but to critizise the sprites...

Still i want this project to succeed at least somewhat even though i can't code or sprite :/
Well then if there`s nothing to say about this project except for criticizing the early sprites, then just don`t post anything and wait for some information to come out.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
So I see a lot of talk about sprites, so I'll talk about something different, gameplay.

What are you guys planning on the physics and gameplay? What is it going to be different from other fan games? Is it going to be combo heavy similar to Melee or maybe a brand new take? Would the pace of the game be similar to Melee, Brawl, WiiU/3DS, 64, or something different?

I am lookg forward to this game wish you guys luck.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So I see a lot of talk about sprites, so I'll talk about something different, gameplay.

What are you guys planning on the physics and gameplay? What is it going to be different from other fan games? Is it going to be combo heavy similar to Melee or maybe a brand new take? Would the pace of the game be similar to Melee, Brawl, WiiU/3DS, 64, or something different?

I am lookg forward to this game wish you guys luck.
Our physics and gameplay will be heavily based on Smash 4's. We appreciate your support!

Furthermore, I'm proud to introduce our brand new design for Final Destination, courtesy of MasterHandG465! We hope you like it's design!

No Items, Fox Only, Final- *shot*

Tell us what you think of our new design for the classic stage below! Please continue to support Project: Smash Bros. X, soon to have an all new name! Keep voting in those polls, ladies and gents!

Fancy

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyChicken
That's a great design! The shading is a bit weird but it's definitely not horrible. Great job so far!

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Are you just going to come in and criticize whenever we show something new?
You need to wait until something is final (almost final anyways), then show it off.

And a project needs feedback, or it won't move anywhere.

edit - I also noticed you revealed literally your (maybe) full roster. That takes away the surprise, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You need to wait until something is final (almost final anyways), then show it off.

And a project needs feedback, or it won't move anywhere.

edit - I also noticed you revealed literally your (maybe) full roster. That takes away the surprise, doesn't it?

Firstly, how do you expect us to get feedback without showing things off? You are not the head of this project. We are proud to show what we have accomplished, finished or not, small or large.

And no, we have not revealed the full roster. We have big plans and big dreams for this project. We are pouring heart and soul into it.

You haven't provided feedback, just complaints. Nothing in a smash game is final until release. Please understand.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I voted for Super Smash Bros. Battalion. Btw.
X seems to be taken by someone on newgrounds apparently. Not to mention the Japanese title.
Clash well...Like our game, Super Smash Clash but with bros in it. :p
+ I just don't like.
Elite sounds alright but Battalion is something I never heard from any smash fan game. And just to think the fan games took all the names already.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I voted for Super Smash Bros. Battalion. Btw.
X seems to be taken by someone on newgrounds apparently. Not to mention the Japanese title.
Clash well...Like our game, Super Smash Clash but with bros in it. :p
+ I just don't like.
Elite sounds alright but Battalion is something I never heard from any smash fan game. And just to think the fan games took all the names already.

That guy on newgrounds is yours truly.

Reiga

3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
That guy on newgrounds is yours truly.
What a plotwist.:substitute:

Edit: Tried checking "Super Smash Bros X" on Newgrounds and got 2 crappy Flash Games (one of which having 4 random Mario enemies and the other having a bunch of Sonic characters), both made before Brawl even was a thing, so I don't think having that name would be a great deal.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
What a plotwist.:substitute:

Edit: Tried checking "Super Smash Bros X" on Newgrounds and got 2 crappy Flash Games (one of which having 4 random Mario enemies and the other having a bunch of Sonic characters), both made before Brawl even was a thing, so I don't think having that name would be a great deal.
Well, I'm on the forum part of the site at least.

Lisnovski

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0275-7440-3622
Final Destination's LineArt is just CopyPasted and Fliped right?

Chazman2000

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4940-6816-9641
Will this project be getting its own website at some point? I think a website would be a good idea, your layout, places for updates, etc. Just thought i would bring up the idea.

Top Bottom