• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Advance

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys,I'm making a Fan Game called Super Smash Bros. Advance.I called it that cuz it's supposed to look like if SSBB came out for the GBA.Here's the Forum Link.
http://ssba.motionforum.net/forum.htm

I'm using a Program called Scratch 1.4 to make it.If someone knows where to download Game Maker 7 and if someone can teach me how to make a Fighting Game with GM7 I can use GM7 to make it instead,since Scratch 1.4 can make things buggy.I hope to have it done maybe in a Few Months or maybe at the end of the year.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Scratch 1.4
I hate to say it, but I stopped reading here and started to chuckle a bit. You can't really make anything with scratch other than some weird basic programs, so I'll tell you now you won't be able to accomplish this with Scratch.

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
I hate to say it, but I stopped reading here and started to chuckle a bit. You can't really make anything with scratch other than some weird basic programs, so I'll tell you now you won't be able to accomplish this with Scratch.
That just means I'll need GM7 then.

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
http://wiki.yoyogames.com/index.php/Old_Game_Maker_Versions

Game Maker isn't too rough for this, but I would make sure you design a few simple games before tackling a smash brothers game. If you are going to have more than 2 characters then you want to make sure your code is as re-usable as possible. It will take you a few attempts to get that right.

Good luck.

-4nace
Ok thanks.
EDIT:Ok it looks like I can't do much,cuz I can't even tell wtf I'm doing.On Scratch it actually showed you what you were doing by having a preview at the side.I'm gonna need someone to teach me how to make a game.

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
Ok if anybody would like to see what the graphics are planned to be like,here's a few Sprites for the Game.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Were those sprites made or stolen?

I can judge the fate of this game from your answer.

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
Making something such complicated as SSB clone is a bad choice for a first project in GM.
You need serious practice before this and the fact you couldn't find GM7 doesn't bode well.

@up: SSBC and SSF2 both use ripped sprites, yet they're really good. M&LRPG style sucks though and I'm happy neither SSBC nor SSF2 used these.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
those sprites are stolen im sorry but you don't seem ready so i guess this is probably gonna get locked

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
Were those sprites made or stolen?

I can judge the fate of this game from your answer.
Not stolen,I was saying thats what all the sprites are planned to look like,GBA Style,but I'm making brawl recolors and all.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It all looks good on paper, but if this is your first attempt, then you've quite the hurdle.

I suggest you either gain experience with the program(s), or find a friend or someone you know who is program savvy to help you out.

Regardless, I hope the project becomes a success.

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
Listen, I've been at the smash community (/lurk) for 3 years. I have seen MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY projects like this (even further in progress) that never get off the ground. Especially if you've never even used game maker.

I'm sorry to shoot your cloud to the ground, but no.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Just try to familiarize yourself in the programs your interested in and get the opinion of others on what program you should ultimately use.

I suggest making something from the ground up using a programming language rather than a WYSWYG (what you see is what you get) program, and then get support from others on the graphics end.

Also, I won't shoot your cloud down, mario bro. Get at it if you're really ready to spend that kind of time, and don't be afraid to look on game-making forums and such where you can get help. Shoot, you might even be able to figure out how to make your own homebrew version of it for the DS, that'd be tight. But you have to work hard and study this type of material. That's why I suggested programming languages...

I'm not too familiar with the homebrew scene though other than I don't see enough games like THIS, so I would ultimately tell you to study how to do that. Try gbatemp or other homebrew forums.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
if someone can teach me how to make a Fighting Game with GM7
Yeah, Smash is definitely way too ambitious of a task here. If you want to make anything remotely near a decent Smash game, you have to understand hundreds of different things about the engine itself; it's surprisingly complicated when you look into it and forgetting numerous factors can really isolate it from feeling like a natural clone.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
@up: SSBC and SSF2 both use ripped sprites, yet they're really good.
The SSF2 sprites are either made from scratch specifically for the game or are heavily edited versions of existing sprites, with a couple exceptions.

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
ok look everybody,i understand it will take a lot fo practice and all to make a fighting game with GM7,but I can just use scratch 1.4,and pokelover don't say I can't,cuz you CAN make games using scratch,my friend had recently made a game using scratch and it was successful.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
ok look everybody,i understand it will take a lot fo practice and all to make a fighting game with GM7,but I can just use scratch 1.4,and pokelover don't say I can't,cuz you CAN make games using scratch,my friend had recently made a game using scratch and it was successful.
Link to successful game that your friend made?

You can't make **** with Scratch. It is a terrible program.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
That game is decent enough, but you need to ask yourself: Why should my game be played instead of the actual Nintendo ones?

If that is the best Scratch has to offer (which I assume it is), then I see no reason to even play that game when I could be playing the much better official games.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
I hate that people insist on making games using game maker style programs instead of learning any kind of skill like programming. While Game Maker can help you make something "cool" in a week, it won't teach you tamazing skills like learning how to code in C and making a game using SDL would

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I hate that people insist on making games using game maker style programs instead of learning any kind of skill like programming. While Game Maker can help you make something "cool" in a week, it won't teach you tamazing skills like learning how to code in C and making a game using SDL would
Have you even used Game Maker Dant? It isn't just drag and drop, it has it's own coding language.

And look at the decent games on this website and tell me they were made as something "cool in a week": http://www.yoyogames.com/

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
That game is decent enough, but you need to ask yourself: Why should my game be played instead of the actual Nintendo ones?

If that is the best Scratch has to offer (which I assume it is), then I see no reason to even play that game when I could be playing the much better official games.
ever heard of a fan game "genius?"

Jaklub

Smash Journeyman
You know, fan games are usually made to have something original, special, good. To attract a player from the original games at least for a while.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Technically speaking, GM's language (GML) is built off of Delphi, a close cousin of C++ (without the manual compiling process) so there are some direct similarities but the syntax is much more lenient (not necessarily a good thing). The problems with GML are interpretation instead of proper compiling like C++ so it's usually a good idea to get out of GML and jump into C++ whenever you can.

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
As in "Have you ever heard of a fan game called 'Genius'?"

or

"Have you ever heard of a fan game genius?" (implying that you are a fangame genius)

If it is the former, no I haven't, and a google search yielded no results.

If it is the latter...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

ever heard of SARCASM?!?:glare:

TL?

Smash Ace
There's a reason that games like smash take years to develop. You can't know absolutely NOTHING about programming or animation and expect to just jump in to GM7 and have a full working game.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
ever heard of SARCASM?!?:glare:
No... Who's sarcasm?
It doesn't work on the internet though, the level of stupidity is too high.

I'm leaving this thread, someone please lock it.
I will personally buy you the full premium account if you get this game done.

Which won't happen.

Cause you can't make a complicated fan-game straight away with no experience or skill.

Bye.

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
No... Who's sarcasm?
It doesn't work on the internet though, the level of stupidity is too high.

I'm leaving this thread, someone please lock it.
I will personally buy you the full premium account if you get this game done.

Which won't happen.

Cause you can't make a complicated fan-game straight away with no experience or skill.

Bye.
I have Experience and Skill,your the one who needs to get a warning for being an ***.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
I have Experience and Skill,your the one who needs to get a warning for being an ***.
You have no knowledge of Game Maker, so you therefore have no experience and skill. We tried being plain, simple and nice at first, but your refusal to listen to anything we say has driven us to make our posts sound more rude. However, there is no intention of being an ***, and it's your fault for reading our posts that way.

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
You have no knowledge of Game Maker, so you therefore have no experience and skill. We tried being plain, simple and nice at first, but your refusal to listen to anything we say has driven us to make our posts sound more rude. However, there is no intention of being an ***, and it's your fault for reading our posts that way.
It's your Fault for misreading me,what I meant was I have experience and skill with Scratch,so either stop being and *** too,or get out.

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
i dont care,and pokelover980,you werent nice at all at first,everyone went ape**** just becuz i said i would make it with scratch,so everyone,instead of going ape**** about what im gonna use to make the game,why cant we just discuss and all about the game?thats all i wanted at the start.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
well it's like you basically went out saying you don't know and then when people said stuff you got a little mad then they got mad then you say you don't care

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
well it's like you basically went out saying you don't know and then when people said stuff you got a little mad then they got mad then you say you don't care
Firt of all,I DID know,and read the posts again,they said stuff like I have no skill or experience,or I couldnt use scratch to use the game,even though i can.

Smash0holic

Smash Apprentice
like i said all i want is to just discuss the game and all,but everyones going ape****

pokelover980

Smash Ace
i dont care,and pokelover980,you werent nice at all at first,everyone went ape**** just becuz i said i would make it with scratch,so everyone,instead of going ape**** about what im gonna use to make the game,why cant we just discuss and all about the game?thats all i wanted at the start.
I was pretty nice at first, but I will admit my first post did sound a tad bit rude, but it was the honest truth.

Top Bottom