• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super-Short Hopped Disable

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So here's a little trick I've very recently started working with. First of, I should let you know that I kind of super new at competitive Smash, so you won't be reading the words of an expert here; these are all just words of a rookie. Take everything you read here with a grain of salt and feel free to point out anything I say that's inaccurate or incorrect. The testing I have done with this is very limited.

I will repeat this again; I am new to this. If I say anything that seems incorrect, go ahead and point it out. Just please be polite about it.

When you use Mewtwo's down special during your jump animation, it halts him in mid air and stops him from going any further. This isn't a particularly unique trait; other characters like Fox and Marth do this to. Anyway, you can do this at the very start of a short hop to make the jump end ridiculously low.

So where am I going with this? Well, one time, out of curiosity, I decided to use the inputs for Charizard's Sliding Rock Smash, but instead while playing Mewtwo instead of 'Zard. What I got was a very low jump, but with a decent amount of forward momentum. In fact, Mewtwo was still low enough to hit taller characters with this move. This means that this is a way of artificially extending disable's range. Although it does has had drawbacks, such as the extra commitment or the inability to hit short characters, it does provide Mewtwo with an interesting and potentially devastating new option.

To preform this, dash. Then, press jump, and almost immediately after, use disable. Leave no gap between the jump and the down special, or else you will got to high and the move will miss.

Using Tuen's character height chart as a rough guide, I found a list of characters you can hit with this technique while they are standing or walking. Characters the height of Bowser Jr. and taller can be hit consistently if preformed just right. Characters the height of Luigi and shorter are either very difficult to hit or near-impossible to hit. (Interestingly, even though the chart list Luigi's and Jr's to be roughly the same, my test have gotten very different results.)

Note that height can be very finicky. Charizard's idle animation, for instance, gives Mewtwo some opportunities to get disable in. His walking animation, however, is either impossible or near-impossible to hit, as I haven't manged to yet. I've gotten mixed results with Little Mac and Luigi, however, both while they were walking or standing.

This trick works on these characters(tallest to shortest);
:4ganondorf::4bowser::rosalina::4falcon::4samus::4dk::4dedede::4wiifit::4zelda::4shulk::4marth::4zss::4palutena::4lucina::4link::4robinm::4rob::4myfriends::4mewtwo::4sheik::4peach::4pit::4darkpit::4yoshi::4falco::4bowserjr:

This trick is inconsistent with;
:4luigi::4littlemac:

Don't bother using it on these characters and expect to get results;
:4sonic::4fox::4mario::4pacman::4megaman::4lucario::4drmario::4villager::4wario::4ness::4tlink::4diddy::4duckhunt::4gaw::4olimar::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4pikachu::4metaknight::4greninja:

Note that I haven't tested with anyone's dashing animations. If someone would like to figure these out for me, be my guest. This is important because some characters, such as Marth and Lucina, will duck while they run.

Finally, let's talk about practical uses! Spoiler alert; there is a whole lot of them.
-A slightly faster yet shakier way to punish laggy attacks.
-A way to hit Rosalina and Link with disable without it being blocked by their Luma/Hylian Shield.
-A desperate way to get a cheap hit in. Through this out maybe only once or twice in a match in hopes of catching your opponent off guard, and you get a free Smash Attack.

I don't expect this trick to be anything super ground-breaking or game-changing; just a cute little stunt you can pull for some style points and maybe an occasional kill. It's certainly not as useful as Charizard's sliding Rock Smash, that's for sure. But it's still a good thing to know.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
So here's a little trick I've very recently started working with. First of, I should let you know that I kind of super new at competitive Smash, so you won't be reading the words of an expert here; these are all just words of a rookie. Take everything you read here with a grain of salt and feel free to point out anything I say that's inaccurate or incorrect. The testing I have done with this is very limited.

I will repeat this again; I am new to this. If I say anything that seems incorrect, go ahead and point it out. Just please be polite about it.

When you use Mewtwo's down special during your jump animation, it halts him in mid air and stops him from going any further. This isn't a particularly unique trait; other characters like Fox and Marth do this to. Anyway, you can do this at the very start of a short hop to make the jump end ridiculously low.

So where am I going with this? Well, one time, out of curiosity, I decided to use the inputs for Charizard's Sliding Rock Smash, but instead while playing Mewtwo instead of 'Zard. What I got was a very low jump, but with a decent amount of forward momentum. In fact, Mewtwo was still low enough to hit taller characters with this move. This means that this is a way of artificially extending disable's range. Although it does has had drawbacks, such as the extra commitment or the inability to hit short characters, it does provide Mewtwo with an interesting and potentially devastating new option.

To preform this, dash. Then, press jump, and almost immediately after, use disable. Leave no gap between the jump and the down special, or else you will got to high and the move will miss.

Using Tuen's character height chart as a rough guide, I found a list of characters you can hit with this technique while they are standing or walking. Characters the height of Bowser Jr. and taller can be hit consistently if preformed just right. Characters the height of Luigi and shorter are either very difficult to hit or near-impossible to hit. (Interestingly, even though the chart list Luigi's and Jr's to be roughly the same, my test have gotten very different results.)

Note that height can be very finicky. Charizard's idle animation, for instance, gives Mewtwo some opportunities to get disable in. His walking animation, however, is either impossible or near-impossible to hit, as I haven't manged to yet. I've gotten mixed results with Little Mac and Luigi, however, both while they were walking or standing.

This trick works on these characters(tallest to shortest);
:4ganondorf::4bowser::rosalina::4falcon::4samus::4dk::4dedede::4wiifit::4zelda::4shulk::4marth::4zss::4palutena::4lucina::4link::4robinm::4rob::4myfriends::4mewtwo::4sheik::4peach::4pit::4darkpit::4yoshi::4falco::4bowserjr:

This trick is inconsistent with;
:4luigi::4littlemac:

Don't bother using it on these characters and expect to get results;
:4sonic::4fox::4mario::4pacman::4megaman::4lucario::4drmario::4villager::4wario::4ness::4tlink::4diddy::4duckhunt::4gaw::4olimar::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4pikachu::4metaknight::4greninja:

Note that I haven't tested with anyone's dashing animations. If someone would like to figure these out for me, be my guest. This is important because some characters, such as Marth and Lucina, will duck while they run.

Finally, let's talk about practical uses! Spoiler alert; there is a whole lot of them.
-A slightly faster yet shakier way to punish laggy attacks.
-A way to hit Rosalina and Link with disable without it being blocked by their Luma/Hylian Shield.
-A desperate way to get a cheap hit in. Through this out maybe only once or twice in a match in hopes of catching your opponent off guard, and you get a free Smash Attack.

I don't expect this trick to be anything super ground-breaking or game-changing; just a cute little stunt you can pull for some style points and maybe an occasional kill. It's certainly not as useful as Charizard's sliding Rock Smash, that's for sure. But it's still a good thing to know.

Haven't been around in a while but:

You can cancel double jump on frame 0. Double Jump + Special works (as in press the buttons at the exact same time). That said, you can double jump off the ground by inputting jump twice too. Basically you can do a DJC Special frame 1 of leaving the ground (which is around frame 6-7 because of jump squat animation). The special will actually be performed lower than normal.

It hits/works on every single character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom