• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Shield?

Depster

Smash Champion
I don't know why we haven't put much thought in this before... So, yoshi's roll sucks. Everyone else seems to be able to just roll wherever and be invincible. So instead of rolling with the shield, which sucks, what if we did a melee style egg roll, with the little jump at the beginning. Short hop away from where you want to roll then roll towards it. You get the little bounce for invincibility from whatever you are rolling from and the hop away or whatever direction gives it a safer way to start it. Maybe just a way to easier get away from tilt happy snakes or to get a quick break away from anything you can't get to. This will probably be fairly situational, though, as it isn't like you can short hop and egg roll whenever you want to roll. But how useful would it be to take advantage of the near infinite priority in a few extra cases?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Actually I did something with DR to this effect, except you shield slide towards your opponent. This is different of course, but taking the shield aspect into consideration.

Also, you have to be able to DR. <____<

Depster

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think I can safely say I'm one of the better DR users here. I'll see if I can try that. I'd like to see the invincibility frames used more on egg roll though, which is my biggest point.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I mentioned this a long time ago about the bounce, but no one ever really looked into it. Glad you are, but also I don't think they figured out how a full speed egg roll can go over nanners.

Depster

Smash Champion
hm. I'll have to remember that. But ya, I've gonna through so many things with egg roll bounce that would have killed me without it, that I think there is a use we're missing. A new aspect of defense making Yoshi a tad more able to something besides just spot dodge and shield would be great...

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Your opponent can punish that bounce pretty badly, if you try rolling towards him he can easily shield and land a smash right after, rolling away is pretty useless since your egg roll cancel lags so much that it would give enough time for your opponent to get close to you again.

Chaco

Never Logs In
That is so hard to do!!!!

I got it right twice in a row once, but could never get it again.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Or you can just learn to sweetspot the ledge everytime you use this move. That way you'll go from egg roll to ledge.
even if i did perfect my timing, I would never risk losing a stock over it at a tournament.

I guess I can try doing that in friendly's... but even then, there are better safer options.

bigman40

Smash Master
even if i did perfect my timing, I would never risk losing a stock over it at a tournament.

I guess I can try doing that in friendly's... but even then, there are better safer options.
Don't really care if you choose to or not. It's not my decision. I just threw it out there cause it's an option, whether it's dangerous or not.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Of all Yoshis moves, Egg Roll is the only one that I absolutely NEVER intentially use. Even those times when (VERY rarely) it is the right things to do.
I have just passed it off as useless, I would prefer if it wasn't even there and side B just egglayed, because I sometimes accidently do an egg roll when I ETS.

Anyone got any advice on using the egg roll? I feel like Im being neglectful.

Depster

Smash Champion
Take advantage of quick movement every once and a while with it or use the bounce to make your fall safer. I think this may work every once in a while, but being abused, will almost never work.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Of all Yoshis moves, Egg Roll is the only one that I absolutely NEVER intentially use. Even those times when (VERY rarely) it is the right things to do.
I have just passed it off as useless, I would prefer if it wasn't even there and side B just egglayed, because I sometimes accidently do an egg roll when I ETS.

Anyone got any advice on using the egg roll? I feel like Im being neglectful.
not really.

that being said, i've always wanted to test timing an egg roll to catch an opponent landing onstage. See if he can react fast enough to land, shield, and punish.

i've thought about using it just to run away against characters recovering that are hard to edgeguard like mk, giving you more breathing room, and space to rack up some damage with egg spamming.

that's actually the best I can come up with, i wouldn't even use my own ideas because there are always better options. egg roll is pretty ****.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
oh ive been wanting someone to test this for a while, so i was wondering if u dr and spot dodge at the same time u would get a roll like thing (i have no wii at the moment and havent dr in while so icant do it
)

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
i actually do use Egg Roll pretty often in fact of all the moves i do others have more fail chances than if i just egg rolled right trough it, these are the following examples i use it, who ever has question i will explain in more detail i sitll believe any move yoshi has can be used to some extent we just have to find them,
-Approaching- alright well sometimes Bair is higly anticipated now they either counter it, move or shield grab it, when all this fails i use Egg roll to approach and attack now if i hit i break far enough but avoid using this at edges because hit or miss when going back they can counter it so watch out .
-Mindgame- when i jmup and use Egg roll in mid-air i do this to slow down my approach with egg roll it usually result in them doing their attack first wich enables me to safely hit them with my egg Roll.
-Extra Hit- when i knock my opponent down and i know they tend to roll to the right or left i use my egg roll to nail a extra hit, you know much like how Bison uses his Down hard kick and does that slide thing XD i do the same but with egg roll to nail an extra hit and then i retreat, or when i used Dtitl and follow up with an egg roll, but well these are my uses with the special move does it sound like something useful?

Top Bottom