• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Paper Mario

FireBomb

Smash Lord
http://wii.ign.com/articles/771/771359p1.html

Overshadowed and forgotton by many due to the Wii's hype, the game that was meant to be on the GameCube was instead remade for the Wii. The sequel brings a new concept to gaming which allows you to shift from a 2D perspective over to a 3D one, which as of now is the most talked-about feature. People new to Paper Mario will find a colorful and brilliant world filled with elements from Mario's retro days, while long-time fans will find a new experience with familar characters. They've turned the Paper Mario series from an RPG with a little platforming feel into a platformer with a little RPG feel.

Unlike most Wii games, Super Paper Mario will have you holding the controller sideways while occasionally holding it like a regular remote. Pressing the A button will allow you to shift dimensions which will be used to solve puzzles, get treasures, and more. Eventually, you'll also be able to switch between Mario, Peach, and Bowser on the fly. Forget your turn-based fighting -- battles are in real time. Stomp a Goomba, and you'll cause damage right there. Send a Koopa shell down the hill and damage everyone in its way. Stylish moves are back from The Thousand-Year Door, though I'm not too sure if the purpose will be for Star Power. From some screenshots, you can also see that the game takes a page out of New Super Mario Bros.'s book by turning into a giant form of their 80's self.

Despite the mushrooms and rainbows you'd expect from a Mario game these days, the grahpic detail is surprizingly plesant to look at. Don't expect any Twilight Princess sunsets here, it's paper and pop-ups after all. One thing I'm happy about is that the developers promise the same humorous dialouge found in tTTD and the Mario & Luigi series. Speaking of Luigi, I know he's in the game, but his intention is a mystery...

So is anyone else thinking of getting it? Any other comments or questions? It's Mario's first new adventure on the Wii, after all, and you can't play Twilight Princess forever. As a Paper Mario fan since the one on the N64, you know I'm counting the minutes down.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Luigi is the 4th playable character in the game. I can't point to any, like, "confirmation" link or something, but I've read it in multiple sources and have reason to believe it's true, especially considering I read a review of the game which mentioned it and detailed his special abilities.

So I'm not gonna go out of my way to confirm anything, but I'm pretty darned sure it's true, sure enough to post it. =P

I'm really stoked about this game--too bad I owe my friend money.
So we'll see when I can manage to get it...=_=;

I'm just wondering just how big it really is, and how they'll keep the 2D-3D stuff fresh throughout the game.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
If it's like the other Paper Mario games, it'll have about 7 different areas, making a decently lengthed game.

Sorry Mic, just thought I'd refresh everyone, and it's not on the Cube like orginally planned. It's actually not confirmed if they'll still release the game on the Gamecube like the team was supposed to, but it'd be a nice gesture to those who aren't fortunate enough to own a Wii at this point. But go ahead and close if you think my thread is obselete.

Knightblade

Smash Cadet
I reserved myself a copy cause i am a big fan of paper mario, i got a cool poster from gamestop as well for reserving ^^

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Thank god for finding that random Wii! Never a better time to run into a GameStop, lol! Now all I got to do is buy Super Paper Mario. Played the 1st Paper Mario a little, and I have and have beaten (twice) Paper Mario 2: The Thounsand Year Door. I saw several trailers and stuff on SPM, and it looks ever impressive! I'm sure fans of the 1st two will be impressed, as well as pleased!

I guess that can give me some time for fun and humor, like the ones before it (such a funny series). Also it will add a game to keep the Wii new, fresh, and exciting! Then after that probably Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, followed some time after with Supe Mario Galaxy, and the most awaited Wii title, SSBB! All look top notch, and I can't wait to get them all!

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I have the game, and it's fantastico... this game's a trip. Everything is surrounded by the idea of pixels, like speech bubbles, townsfolk, and even when you go down a warp pipe. I finally figured out the the purpose of "Score" is when you get a high enough score, you level up. And you raise it obviously by defeating enemies classic style.

My FAVORITE item so far has to be the one where you get a gang of your mini retro self and can assault an enemy. There's also that flower that doubles the speed of everything and then there's nothing but madness. Flipping between dimensions is trippy. You see and realize things that you probably would never think of. And I've recruited Peach, WOO!

You have to make use of your dimension flipping in boss battles too. The first boss,
which runs like a computer, was especially funny to me just 'cause I'm a computer nerd.
You also gotta make good use of your Pixl partners, each which have a different ability. (I've already found my favorite <3) Oh yeah, the game does focus a lot on love and hearts for some reason. The opening scene is really random until you begin the game

The game is funny, the characters are witty, the worlds are colorful, and Mario is still flat. What are you waiting for? Super Paper Mario is a wild ride that every Wii owner should behold! Yeah...basically everything I said in the first post too.

~Boomer rocks.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Yeah, I got it too. Still on first chapter, but it's beast. I like the fighting system more than typical RPG style to be honest. There are new cards and of course Pixls that sort of take the place of badges.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
okay, i just finished the game. my only dissapointment was the storyline.
its like a big romance novel.
other than that, the game is awesome. and you CAN keep playing after you defeat the last boss, which is always a plus. its not like most other mario rpgs where you stay at the last save before the final boss.

DarkFr0g

Smash Apprentice
I'm on the sixth chapter. This game is pretty cool, but I liked TTYD better. :(
The characters are not as memorable. Instead of having colorful variations of the usual Mario characters and a few new ones as your partners, you have.. shapes. Each of them talk only once in the game, except Tippi. I miss Yoshi.
The music wasn't as mesmerizing as it was in TTYD.
The new battle system really made the game a lot easier, and a lot more repetitive. All you gotta do is jump on an enemy a couple of times, and it's dead, throughout most of the game. Plus half the time I can't get a stylish bonus due to unresponsiveness, so I have to wave my controller up and down for 3 seconds hoping to get it while I'm in the air, randomly.
The whole door thing made the game feel really linear. It didn't feel like a "world" like TTYD did, but more of a level-based SMB style game.
The 2D-ness throughout most of this game < The 3D-ness of all of TTYD

I give the game an 8.2

petre

Smash Lord
extended criticism-

yeah, i agree with you, i liked TTYD better. and the game does get repetitive, not just overall in the battles, but in some small things you have to do in areas.
(in one area, you have to run in a hamster wheel for 5-10 mins straight.)

and it isnt really a big world map feel, either. theres one room that all areas branch off of. you go through a door and you appear in a completely different place, no running to get there or anything like that.

and darkfrog, the stylish moves happen from specific movements of the remote, different movements will give you a different stylish bonus. i usually swing one end of the remote forwards, and it usually works for me. either that or shake it forwards and backwards quickly.

oh, and the final boss
was incredibly easy to beat, i didnt have to heal once, and could probably finish it on my second try without getting hit.

best part about the game IMO is
luigi is the greatest
!! that and the real time combat is more fun. but it makes the game overall go by faster, and therefore seem like a shorter game. although i think its probably the same length as the other games, battles take significantly less time. i finished in 16 hrs and 7 mins...plus there isnt really much replay value, the game will be mostly the same each time you play through (only differences being who you use in what areas, biggest areas to note are boss battles). i dont like how when you level up you cant pick a stat to upgrade, it happens automatically. in TTYD, i played through the game at least 10 times, leveling up stats differently each time (easiest way to play through is all FP up, hardest suprisingly is all HP up). in this game, it will be the same stats every time, and since its not like a traditional rpg where you could get to points of just wanting to run away from battles because youre weak/trying to get somewhere fast, your level will be almost the same every time through the game.

aside from that stuff, i didnt see much wrong with the game, it is a great game overall, and you should definitely get it.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Hey guys, got SPM. It rocks! :D (putting aside some little things)
Can yeh help me with 7-4? I'm stuck on the part a little guy is on the floor, faking being dead
or something. Thx in advance.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

Nevermind, just figured that out. But I still dunno what that guy on the floor is doing there.
And for the people that still read this thread
EXTRA PIXLS!!!

Piccolo Pixl: Go to Merlee's place in Flopside and talk to her (not across the crystal ball but on her side) and she'll tell you to ask Merluvlee (Flipside) to give her a new crystal ball. Merluvlee then will ask you to go to the man in 1-1 that taught Mario the flipping tech and ask him for a 'training equipment' or sum. Instead the man will ask you to retrieve something from old man Wachitt. Wachitt will give it to you after you go to 1-4 to talk to the Ancient in the blue room at the end. DONT TOUCH THE STAR!!!!!. After that go back throu all of them giving them what they asked for. At the end Merlee will give you a key for the locked door in Floptown that is in the second floor. Inside will be Piccolo Pixl. I will not spoil his abilities. EDIT: Piccolo Pixl has nothing to do with Piccolo of the Dragon Ball series ;)

If you're going to post this anywhere else at least gimme credit! xD

Dashell Pixl: Beat Flipside's Pit of 100 Trials. Where is it?, you ask, go to the bar at one of the lower levels of the town and on its side will be an pipe. Go throu there. Then you'll see a switch on top of a wall of blocks covering the entrance to another pipe.Mega jump with You-know-who up there and hit the block. The entrance to Flopside's Pit of 100 Trials will be open!!!

I have not yet beaten Flopside's cave of 100 trials, so I dunno the name of the Pixl at the end, nor his abilities. Will edit when I beat it, prolly tomorrow.

Off topic: is it normal to appear online in your own PC?

petre

Smash Lord
yeahdude: i recommend you but that stuff in spoiler tags, so people who want to find that stuff on their own are able to do so. anyway, about the flopside pit...
the flopside one is a pain in the arse, for one, all enemies are shadows, and are their strongest versions...secondly, you have to go through the entire thing twice...yes you do. and third, you dont get any new pixls for finishing it.

im currently going through the 100 sammer guys, ill put up what happens after i finish...
OMG IM IN CHAPTER 6-2!! it does go on...
hahaha omg sammer guy #48 is hilarious!!!
OMFG IM SO PISSED I DONT WANT MORE CARDS DAMMIT!!!!!!!!! but yeah, like the flopside pit, all you win are cards...

oh, and a pixl you missed (btw, im pretty sure you arent the first to discover any of those, or me either...)
go back to chapter 3-1 after you have finished, and talk to the pixl in the first bush...barry gives you a temporary shield when you use it, but it doesnt last long, and you cant do anything while using it...however you will slide if you are moving when you activate it, so you can move through enemies...also try jumping on a spiked enemy and using barry in midair.

EDIT: hey, can someone remind me how to get to the arcade? i went there once, played the boo game, and now i want to go back and play it again...but i cant find it for some reason!!!!
EDIT again:nevermind, i found it again. if you want to go there too...
flip in the coffee shop place on floor B1 of flipside.

haha, wow, the boo minigame actually ends after round 10. thats kinda cheap, cause it limits how many points you can get in one run...oh well. its fun enough that id almost buy the game for just this!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
How long is this game?

I'm thinking about picking it up-- and I'm really sick of short games. I want one that'll take me more than a boring wekend.

petre

Smash Lord
How long is this game?

I'm thinking about picking it up-- and I'm really sick of short games. I want one that'll take me more than a boring wekend.
it took me a little over 16 hours the first time through...although im still going through side quests and extra stuff like that. id say its got about 25-30 hrs gameplay total. i dont know if thats how long its taking other people, though. i seem to have a thing for finishing games quickly.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Yeah, I'm only on 5-4 and at 17 hours. I'm sure by the time I have all the cookbooks and cards and have defeated everything, I'll be well about 30 hours. I'm a perfectionist.

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
About Flopside's pit...

I have not yet beaten Flopside's cave of 100 trials, so I dunno the name of the Pixl at the end, nor his abilities. Will edit when I beat it, prolly tomorrow.

Off topic: is it normal to appear online in your own PC?

There's no Pixl at the end of the Flopside pit. When you beat the Flopside pit the first time, you get nothing. HOWEVER, you have to go through the pit ONE MORE TIME to get the real prize. At the 100th floor on the second time, you have to fight dark versions of the four heroes, who are REALLY strong (I believe they have doubled power, so give a look-out, especially for Bowser). After you do that, you get the prize: 8 character cards, including the four heroes and their dark versions. I think these double your attack power, but I know for a fact the Mario card gives you an unlimited flip meter!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I beat Twilight Princess at thirty hours. I guess I can TRY to take my time once I get it....

petre

Smash Lord
i recommend you do stuff before actually finishing the game, because after you finish
you dont have tippi anymore!!! so you cant reveal hidden blocks, or check enemy stats, or anything like that...thats probably the most annoying part of trying to finish all the side quests and get everything after beating the last boss.

and a question...
has anybody found a use for piccolo, besides making blocks such as the one on the third floor in flipside disappear? what kind of character boosts are they talking about?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
i recommend you do stuff before actually finishing the game, because after you finish
you dont have tippi anymore!!! so you cant reveal hidden blocks, or check enemy stats, or anything like that...thats probably the most annoying part of trying to finish all the side quests and get everything after beating the last boss.

and a question...
has anybody found a use for piccolo, besides making blocks such as the one on the third floor in flipside disappear? what kind of character boosts are they talking about?

Petre, you can buy a tippi replacement called tipitron from francis in 3-4 for 999 coins.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
The uses i've found for Piccolo are: Lifting curses, changing character sounds, and make blocks disappear. (there's one of those too in Flopside in the same place) if any of you guys can find another use for him please tell me.

And one more thing:
After you beat the game, one of the new stories of Flopside's bartender talks about there being 12 original Pixls, in total I have 11. Also in another part of the tale there says that said 12th Pixl's game was over. Does that mean that we can find that Pixl in the Untherwhere or the Overthere

Edit: Guys, lets make a list of all the side quests we can find. Wish I hadn't beaten this awesome game so fast, now I have this bad feeling in my stomach. :(

petre

Smash Lord
oh, thanks GAW. i thought i was screwed. but 999 coins...im tempted to sell a rare card. either that or go through the pit again.

yeahdude, are you talking about any status effect? it can cure you of everything? sweet stuff.

but yeah, the last is prolly in overthere, i never really explored most of it, cause its so long...

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Woohooo. Thanks GAW got my tippitron ready ter go!!
And petre, I think is only for lifting curses, but I will edit when I'm sure 'k.
I'm off to explore the Underwhere and the Overthere.
Edit: Guys lets post our fav qoutes from the game. I'll go with:
"That was the only Babe2Nerr patch!" XD

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
Beat the game last night at 22 hrs and lv. 20. And I got the game Saturday noon, which REALLY pisses me off, because I said I was going to take my time with the game, but the game was SOOOOOOO GOOD that it was hard to resist.

petre

Smash Lord
LOTSA COINS!!!!

in the underwhere, when youre in that really tall room in ch 7-2 (i think, ill check in a minute), you know the one where you have to jump back and forth across platforms to the top for like 2 mins straight...you know that room. anyway, when you get to the top, jump off the right side. hold against the right wall, youll land on a pipe. go in, and viola! coins for everyone!!! ...unfortunately after a few seconds they all dissappear. ive gotta go back there with tippitron to see if you can make them reappear...either way you get quite a few coins from it. also, if you flip right away, youll see theres actually two walls of coins, so if you can make them reappear, thats a crapload of coins. EDIT: ok, this sucks. the coins are there once, and only once. the dont reappear. ever. so equip that one pixl before you enter, and run and jump through them as fast as you can to get as many as possible.

also, im wondering if anyone's found the book or whatever item you need to start cooking double item recipes (spelling?)...or is it even an item you get?

well, i sold cards to get coins to buy tippitron...rare cards in fact...and once you sell a card, it still stays in your listing of found cards. whew!

quick note: i believe piccolo does remove all status effects, he just cured me of slow, and earlier reverse controls...i finished exploring 7-3, with no pixl found...hopefully its in 7-4 somewhere. if not, then who knows where it is, or if it even exists. EDIT: ok, no pixl found anywhere in ch 7...where is that 12th??

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
I searched thru The Underwhere and The Overthere with no success. I still believe about the Pixl but, I have found no references to a Pixl hidden in said worlds...
To cook recipes of two items just go to the cook in Flopside. She'll do the job for you.
I'll say this again. Post your fav quotes from the game! :)
Now I'm really hooked up beaing a treasure hunter with the maps that guy sells..... Y'know, THAT guy...

Top Bottom