• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Maker stage for Smash Wii U and 3DS announced! September 30th is release day!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Dunno if there is more besides this. Balance patch is possible at the least.

Sol Squid

Smash Cadet
Wow, you guys beat me to the thread I was going to post and my reply to my thread. lol. It looks great though. I'll probably pick up an Eshop card so I can get this, Ryu, and the N64 stages other than Dreamland.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Can we appreciate that this wasn't leaked beforehand?
It wasn't leaked, but I called this as soon as I saw how much Nintendo promoted Super Mario Maker at E3. And they did exactly what I thought they would with it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Loos fun. Idgaf if it is banned or not.

Edit: Fairly confident we are getting a character, veteran or newcomer, at September 30th as well.

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
This is an interesting concept...

I am not sure how it will be in execution though.

It says "different every time you play." I highly doubt this is true.

I remember Mushroomy Kingdom... pick the stage and you could either get the overworld or underworld version.

I didn't like that... as I found one much more fun than the other.

So... if this stage has layouts I like and don't like and I don't have a way to choose the ones I do... it will be disappointing.

Sol Squid

Smash Cadet
This is an interesting concept...

I am not sure how it will be in execution though.

It says "different every time you play." I highly doubt this is true.

I remember Mushroomy Kingdom... pick the stage and you could either get the overworld or underworld version.

I didn't like that... as I found one much more fun than the other.

So... if this stage has layouts I like and don't like and I don't have a way to choose the ones I do... it will be disappointing.
The stage "creates" itself from random layouts. So it should be fairly random.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
The stage "creates" itself from random layouts. So it should be fairly random.
We will see how it works.

If it is random where you almost never see the same layout twice then that could be amazing.

But if this download gives X stages without the option to choose the 1 I want to play on... that will end up being disappointing.

Sol Squid

Smash Cadet
We will see how it works.

If it is random where you almost never see the same layout twice then that could be amazing.

But if this download gives X stages without the option to choose the 1 I want to play on... that will end up being disappointing.
Hope it isn't like the ExciteBike track in Mario Kart, the track is super fun, but I was promised constantly different track layouts. They all feel the same to me. This has different art styles, stage elements, and more randomness. (Hopefully) This seems promising to me.

DK-RULES

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes just playing for fun seems to get lost. I enjoy all these stages that come out admit adds variety. Probably not s tournament viable stage but I will play the heck out of this stage for fun. :)

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Slopes?
Individual lava pools?

SAKURAIIIIII...should be consulted about SMM DLC.

Last edited:

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
September 30th AKA Shieks nerf
I think we will get another stage as well since that SSS is uneven, Hoping for pirate ship

Last edited:

Nikoback

Smash Rookie
NNID
MeltingComet
This looks so fun. There must had been serious work on this stage for it to be this unique and interesting. Random layouts? Count me in!

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I wonder just how random this will be?

Will it be the same 3 stages with slight variation? Or crazy random blocks everywhere?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I wonder just how random this will be?

Will it be the same 3 stages with slight variation? Or crazy random blocks everywhere?
It's clear there are at least a moderate multitude of layouts from the trailer alone, that all look very different.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
I randomly found out about this stage via the Gematsu header banner (via a random "Kingdom Hearts 2.9" article); I was like "There's a new Super Smash Bros. stage coming out?! Why hasn't this been trending on the Super Smash Bros. subreddit or on Smashboards all day?" only to find out that the release was mere minutes ago, it seems. :laugh: Great news; I love how this announcement just blind-sided me (and possibly other fans as well). Although I feel like a R.O.B./Gyromite stage has somewhat higher priority for inclusion (mainly because R.O.B. still doesn't have a proper stage yet), the concept of a Mario Maker stage isn't too bad.

I kind of wish that the stage had a creative name other than simply re-using the game's name of Super Mario Maker (although I guess it makes sense)..

In any case, the potential of "random layouts" of a high degree seems very appealing (probably the embodiment of the "For Fun" playstyle format in stage form)! The "cat hand" looks kind of weird..
In addition, I wonder what the stage music will be..

Also, I was initially on the fence about a "Mario Maker" Mario alternate costume, but now it seems mandatory at this point to make one to complement the Super Mario Maker-based stage. XD If we can't get the classic "red overalls, blue shirt" Mario costume back at the moment, I would gladly trade the WaLuigi Mario alternate costume for the Mario Maker one, particularly because this one makes more sense on Mario rather than a reference geared towards Luigi/WaLuigi.

EDIT: Also, Happy 30th Anniversary to Super Mario Bros. 1! And LOL at Master Hand's cousin, Maker Hand! :laugh:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I randomly found out about this stage via Gematsu (via a random "Kingdom Hearts 2.9" article); I was like "There's a new Super Smash Bros. stage coming out?! Why hasn't this been trending on the Super Smash Bros. subreddit or on Smashboards all day?" only to find out that the release was mere minutes ago, it seems. :laugh: Great news; I love how this announcement just blind-sided me (and possibly other fans as well). Although I feel like a R.O.B./Gyromite stage has somewhat higher priority for inclusion (mainly because R.O.B. still doesn't have a proper stage yet), the concept of a Mario Maker stage isn't too bad.

I kind of wish that the stage had a creative name other than simply re-using the game's name of Super Mario Maker (although I guess it makes sense)..

In any case, the potential of "random layouts" of a high degree seems very appealing (probably the embodiment of the "For Fun" playstyle format in stage form)! I wonder what the stage music will be..

Also, I was initially on the fence about a "Mario Maker" Mario alternate costume, but now it seems mandatory at this point to make one to complement the Super Mario Maker-based stage. XD

Ugh, don't remind me about KH 2.9.

The suspense to see what it actually will be is killing me.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I really like this. Also love how the stage has parts that even the source games doesn't have. :laugh:

Builder Mario 4 Smash!

As a costume.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I really just hope this has direct functionality with Mario Maker. Then I can have TWO stage builders!

Seriously, though. This is awesome. And I'm also just gonna expect a balance patch and the last pre-ballot DLC character(s) alongside.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It was a bit surprising.
And gosh please, no more balance patch. And just a minor update would be good.

alohasnackbar

Smash Rookie
NNID
aceshadow920
3DS FC
1435-4905-2834
Is it weird that I can totally see this as a counterpick?

Also, it's about time for 1.1.1 so new characters/stages pls.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
I didn't really understand. Is it like a second stage builder? Is it a transforming stage? Is it always random? Some of the stages looked legal, but some of them clearly weren't. (I've gotten all of the dlc stages so far out of nostalgia, but I might not get this one if it's unplayable competitively.)

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
I didn't really understand. Is it like a second stage builder? Is it a transforming stage? Is it always random? Some of the stages looked legal, but some of them clearly weren't. (I've gotten all of the dlc stages so far out of nostalgia, but I might not get this one if it's unplayable competitively.)
FROM WHAT WE UNDERSTAND....
It's a normal stage that randomly (Semi-randomly?) generates itself as you play. To what degree, we don't know.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
FROM WHAT WE UNDERSTAND....
It's a normal stage that randomly (Semi-randomly?) generates itself as you play. To what degree, we don't know.
I hope it's a transforming stage. However, looking at the video again, the only time the stage is shown to change forms is when the game starts (notice how each time they switch stages it shows the players spawning).

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
What a great surprise! Can't wait for this, it looks really fun!

I wonder if they'll give us anything else as well...Considering it's been months since their last update, and I don't know if designing this stage is all they've done until now...

Mustn't get hopes up.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
What a great surprise! Can't wait for this, it looks really fun!

I wonder if they'll give us anything else as well...Considering it's been months since their last update, and I don't know if designing this stage is all they've done until now...

Mustn't get hopes up.
I guarantee you there will be Mii Fighter costumes if nothing else.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
This looks amazing and it looks like my kind of stage. Some stages have a ton of stage hazards and some have no stage hazards, I always prefer the smaller stages with a small amount of stage hazards. That is why I was excited for many of the N64 stages coming back and my current favorite stage is Gamer as it has the random feel without being overwhelming and this stage reminds me a bit of that.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I love the idea of a stage that is randomized each time you play it. Kinda has that "random throwdown" feel to it. Kinda reminds me of picking the "Random Ruckus" stage in Mario Party 5's Super Duel mode. I always opt for that one instead of the premade ones.

I just hope it has good music. As a 3DS player I hope the 2 music pieces it comes with are good. I also hope it's just as randomized as the Wii U version and isn't watered down, though I'm glad it's not Wii U exclusive like I would have bet on had I not known otherwise.

D

Deleted member

This came out of the blue. I'll get it eventually.

I like how it changes every time you start a match on the stage.. definitely sets it apart from the rest.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
That does look like a stage is missing as that would be an odd layout when you can simply do 3 rows of 2 stages.

Khao

Smash Lord
What I'm both excited and terrified of at the same time, is that each time I select this stage, I'll either get the stage of my dreams, or an absolute piece of crap that I'll hate instantly.

My L, R, A and Start buttons will probably break the same day this stage is released.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
"Balladofwindfishes" of Neogaf made an observation that suggests another stage is in the works but got photoshopped out of the trailer.

Edit: A screenshot of the trailer, for reference.
They did seem quick on the zoom in during the trailer. Hopefully it's something to look forward to.
Maybe a newcomer stage? Cmon, remember when they gave us Lucas when we only expected Mewtwo? And Ryu and Roy crashing Lucas's launch party? They're no idle layabouts. I'm hoping they at least have one DLC character on the way before the ballot ends.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

How do you get the green ghost...blob...thing?

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
It looks like a fun stage with an interesting gimmick, but i'm annoyed with how it's another Mario stage that also reuses the same basic world 1 courses, i'm not too optimistic with its music choices variety either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom