• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Lion Tournament 3 - August 9th & 10th - Lyon, France

porc

Smash Journeyman
Roaaarrr

The 3rd edition of the Super Lion Tournament is now confirmed. It will take place on august 9th & 10th (it's a week end) in Villefontaine, a little city near Lyon, France.

It is a Melee tournament, and to be more precise : melee single, double and low tier. (we don't have the time / motivation to do a brawl one)

Hosts :
porc
salepate
(click for PM)

helped by Slhoka (if he comes, which he will certainly do), and Wii Lee.

Entrance fees* :
Lion Cub pass : 15€ - You can participate to every tournaments (1v1, 2v2 etc.) and you're housed for 2 days.
Lion King pass : 20€ - Same thing, but you get food (cakes, sodas, ramen soup).

*It's more expensive than last time, because this time, the venue cost us more. (260€ instead of 100€)

Cashprizes :
For both double and single :
1st 70%
2nd 20%
3rd 10%

The tournament :
Saturday :
- Opening : 8h30
- Single : 11h - 18h
- Low Tier : 19h - 23h
- Crews : 00h+
Sunday :
- Double: 10h+
Monday :
- Closure : 8h30

Rules :

Single :
- Main stages : Dreamland 64, Final Destination, Pokemon Stadium
- Counterpick stages: Main Stages + Fountain of Dream, Yoshi Story, Battlefield
- Time limit : 8 minutes
- Stock limit : 4
- No stage banning
- No wobbling/stalling
- No items
- DSR Applied

Double :
Same thing, but without Fountain of Dream in the counterpick stages.
And of course, friendly fire ON.

The venue :
The Venue has been used for our tournaments several times. It can support easily 50 persons. It has toilets and basins, but no showers. We have to sleep on the ground, so bring things to sleep.
The venue is at Villefontaine, a little city near Lyon. To get there, you can get a bus from Lyon (gare la Part-Dieu) which costs 2€. Timetables are HERE (pdf). You must stop at "La Cruzille".

If you come by car, here is the adress :
Salle Didier Latimier
Parc du Vellein
Villefontaine 38090

(there's a big theater in front of it)

Here are some maps :
Villefontaine : HERE
How to get to the venue from the highway : HERE
(It's in french, "autoroute" means "freeway" and "salle" means "venue".

Food and Housing :
The venue, is not really close to food stores (10-15min on foot), that's why WE propose to feed you, for an higher entrance fee (see the "Entrance fee" section, above).
The food consist of a permanent buffet with biscuits and soft drinks, and 5 ramen soups (mushroom, beaf, pork, vegetal, chicken or lobster taste) per person that you can ask for anytime you want.

During the tournament, everyone sleep at the venue.
If you need housing before/after the tournament, please contact us (porc or salepate ) shortly, because we're only two to offer housing for the moment. We should be able to house about 20 people, and many more if the weather allows us to sleep under the stars :)

PLEASE CONFIRM YOUR VENUE ON http://ti.bug.free.fr/ssbm

NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS IS NOW LIMITED TO 56

AND DONT FORGET TO CONTACT US FOR HOUSING!

Interested so far (70) :

France (42) :
Salepâte
porc
Wii Lee
Qlex
giggs
Draxraven
Morukutsu
pq3000
CM
Bekurute
Doraki
Benoit (Dou)
Kurogane
Baxon
Poilon
Boo
Slhoka
Link69
Joanna Dark
fatality CC
Over
BSeeD
Mrik
John
Jet
Kururu
Lguy
Agony
DJ#FreG
4ever
Mass
Sylvoute
bGn
Zebdal
G aR
SaT
Jack45
Darko
gorn
Inf'
Charlon
Fist

Norway (3) :
Kriz
Marte
Tonberry

Germany (9) :
Tero
Ravenlord
FoXonEcstasY
Makkura
Yomi-no-Kuni
Matux
°UÇK
Pamaro
reaper

Austria (1) :
Broken Bone

Switzerland (2) :
AE
Darkscyther

Italy (3) :
Aldwyn
Chor
Seretur

Spain (10) :
M.
Mugiwara Urulok
peyudosmith
Akon
Strawhat Dahean
Hikotsu
[K-12] The Madchine
Jawzun
Ksta
Shiniga

We expect it to be kinda big (40~50 people), since a bunch of really good players are coming.

porc

Smash Journeyman
Fuzzyness : this was the only week end available for the venue, and this date seemed to be OK for most frenches... so we chose that one.
it's true, it's kinda close to the freiburg tournament.

oh and by the way, we reached 40 interested/registered

porc

Smash Journeyman
pipoop ! this topic needs to go up

47 interested/registered so far, come on people !

porc

Smash Journeyman
i'll post this here, in case some people haven't seen :

hey all, we're one month from the tournament, and the confirmations are now opened.

just follow this link and fill what you're asked :) : http://spellreaver.free.fr/tsl

but don't do it if you're not 100% sure to come !

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
Hello from the US. I will be in France Next year, actually quite close to Lyon. I wanted to get to know you guys so that when I arrive we can brawl. What do you say?

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Hello from the US. I will be in France Next year, actually quite close to Lyon. I wanted to get to know you guys so that when I arrive we can brawl. What do you say?
That's great !
In which city will you live ?

As for the smashers from Lyon, they won't answer until a few days since they are attending Smash Royale in Freiburg, Germany, but don't worry, they'll contact you ;)

Also, to get back on topic, I'm almost sure to attend this tournament =D
I'm really impatient to see all those smashers I haven't seen since ESA2 (including the Frenchies) ^^

johnnylaw505

Smash Journeyman
Oh, haha actually im not living there. I said it wrong, ill be there for several weeks. Ill be visiting a friend, i think the city is in fact Lyon. sorry about that.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Singles :

1 : Makenshi
2 : Poilon
3 : Infernum
4 : Tonberry
5 : Baxon
5 : JD

Can't remember who's next.

Teams :

1 : Poilon & Infernum
2 : Tonberry & Kriz
3 : Tero & Yomi

Low Tiers :

1 : Tonberry
2 : Poilon
3 : Infernum

More results in a few hours/days.

As for the rest, if you except a problem in the teams brackets between Yomi & Tero and JD & Makenshi (I'll detail later), and a mistake from me leading to Tero and Yomi facing each other too soon in the LB, the tournament was run pretty smoothly imo. And it was really great, with a few good surprises (like CJ's unexpected arrival :p)

Tero.

Smash Champion
Singles :

As for the rest, if you except a problem in the teams brackets between Yomi & Tero and JD & Makenshi (I'll detail later)
Lol sounds like we won by mistake ...
that little mistake was actually at the match before we had to play and had nothing to do with us wining, so no johns .

tero&yomi = 2 good in teams

Slhoka

Smash Lord
Lol sounds like we won by mistake ...
that little mistake was actually at the match before we had to play and had nothing to do with us wining, so no johns .

tero&yomi = 2 good in teams
Huh ?
I didn't meant that. I think you deserved your win since you won when you played your match.

However, you can't deny that there was a problem when you and JD & Makenshi had to play your matches (even though the problem only appeared after you played it).

For those who weren't there, here's what happened (for those who'd want to read this, I hope you don't fear headaches)
First, the bracket looked like that :

What happened : As JD and Makenshi finished their match against the team they faced before they had to face bossosmash and Charlon, Yomi/Tero/both of them arrived and told them something like "Have you won your match ? If yes, we'll have to play". Apparently, JD thought he was asked about the match he just finished, and answered yes. And since he didn't know the bracket by heart, he tought Makenshi and him had to face Yomi and Tero right away. So they played, forgetting JD and Makenshi's match against boss and Charlon, and Yomi and Tero won.

Then, JD and Makenshi realized they did not play a match, and here started the fuss.
JD wanted to cancel the result of the match, since "it never happened" as it wasn't scheduled in the bracket. So he wanted to play boss and Charlon, and the, whatever happened, Yomi and Tero would face the winner of this match.
On the other side, Tero and Yomi obviously didn't want to do that.

So what I first said, is that JD and Makenshi would play against boss and Charlon, but we would keep the result of the set between them and Tero and Yomi. The problem would have been, no matter whether JD or Makenshi would win or lose against Charlon and boss, they would be out of the looser bracket.
I know it wasn't a good solution, but couldn't think to something better to solve this problem at the moment, I could only find a way to prevent this in the future (see end of the post).
The problem is, JD, Tero and Yomi didn't want that. JD refused to play and Yomi and Tero didn't want to face boss and Charlon if they won, which was to happen since JD refused to play. And I couldn't just declare JD and Makenshi winners of the match againt boss of Charlon, it wasn't fair for those two last guys, although they were likely to lose.

So, in the end :
JD refused to play if the result of the set against Yomi and Tero wasn't cancelled.
Yomi and Tero didn't want to face JD and Makenshi or boss and Charlon if they won.
Charlon really wanted to play his match, or at least didn't want to lose a match he never played (which is totally normal).
Makenshi and boss didn't give a ****, no matter what happened (and I thank those two to for trying to help solving the problem more than anything else).

So, here's what I decided. Since Charlon wanted to face a good team, Makenshi and I asked Captain Jack (who arrived after the beginning of the team tournament) to play with Makenshi against Charlon and boss. With this, Charlon would be able to enjoy the match he wanted against a good team even though they were more than likely to lose. With no surprise, Makenshi and CJ won, and I kept the result of Makenshi + JD against Yomi + Tero, and in the end, YOmi + Tero was the team to advance.

Well, that being solved, I'm not happy with such a decision and thought to a few things to avoid such problems to happen.
First, I think I won't show the bracket anymore during my next tournaments. I'll just show the sets that should be played, and tell people who they could face, to answer to their need for placing prediction. Even when we won't have a projector, I'll just take a big sheet of paper to show the matches that should be played.
Second, as Tonberry puts it, I'll write everywhere in big, red, underlined capital letters : CHECK YOUR ****ING BRACKET !
Because it's the problem imo. I know I'm quite responsible as a tournament host for not telling people who they should play, but when it turns out that experienced tournament hosts such as JD, Tero and Yomi aren't able to use a bracket, I think there's a problem.
Before every single match one should check the bracket, whatever happens. Do NOT believe anybody, he could have made a mistake.

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
Lol, what a whole lot of fuss about nothing it seems XD
In my opinion, JD and Makenshi should just have played against boss and Charlon, despite of them having lost already vs yomi and tero (how the hell did they do that btw :S). Ohwell, since (from what I can make out of your story) JD was a ***** as always, replacing him by CJ indeed seems like the best possible solution. Good job Slhoka :)

Oh and congratz to all the winners ofcourse :)

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Sounds like you did the best you could slhoka. These situations are always troublesome. JD not willing to accept his loss... but I can understand it´s kinda pointless to play the best you can when you know if your team won you lost anyway. We really oughta have some sort of rule for this that says a set played is a set played in this scenario.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I also understand JD when he said he tought it was useless for him to play, and I'm not angry at him for that, however, we had to decide something, and he had to accept it since there was nothing more we could do about that at this tournament. I also don't like some other things he did/said, but I'll speak of it with him through msn, or on the french boards. No need to involve more people than necessary.

Also, I forgot another thing which may help understand people's reaction.
The set that Yomi and Tero played was the second one they played against a team who missed a set before. It also happened in the winner bracket : they played Poilon and Infernum, while those two didn't play the set they had to play before. While I don't mean or think this was made on purpose, I can understand those who thought it was fishy.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Just one side note:

We asked JD a few times if he "played his match against CHARLON and BOSS", not only if he "allready played his match"

porc

Smash Journeyman
JD speaking :

on another side note : I was high and drunk and it was a rather late time already :)
conclusion : never try to do singles and teams on the same day when there are barely enough TVs !

Tero.

Smash Champion
JD speaking :

on another side note : I was high and drunk and it was a rather late time already :)
conclusion : never try to do singles and teams on the same day when there are barely enough TVs !

i know, but thats not our fault!

btw @ porc: i read something at the french board that there was a problem with housing but i couldnt understand everything ( Par contre je vais râler sur un petit point : la maison à porc. même si ses parents étaient compréhensifs en disant "c'est bon n'importe quel jeune à fait ce coup à ses parents au moins une fois dans sa vie", moi je ne tolère pas ça, et porc non plus d'ailleurs, même s'il n'est pas du genre à râler, il était un peu énervé, et dégouté. La tactique du réveil à marché, c'était pas trop dur, mais je me rappelle avoir crié "Ceux qui ont bouffés dehors, nettoient la table dehors" et aussi "Ceux qui ont bouffés, mais pas cuisinés, nettoient la table intérieur" résultat rien n'a été fait ça a même empiré. Aussi, je me suis pas soucié de le crié assez tôt, mais prendre un café le matin je veux bien, simplement, soit vous vous levez avant les autres pour pas retarder, soit vous attendez d'être à la salle. ok c'est qu'un café vous allez me dire, mais moi je répondrai "justement c'est qu'un café, ça peut attendre". désolé mais vraiment malgré l'hospitalité que porc à pu offrir ainsi que la nourriture, le constat était un peu triste. )

could you tell me what happend ? i hope we didnt do something wrong

porc

Smash Journeyman
JD speaking :

the house got really messy (still 10 times less messy than my place before ESA2 though), and people weren't putting too much efforts into the cleaning... personnally, I crashed at his place a lot and tried not to mess up the place too much, (except for the toilets, sorry my smelly **** XD) and when it was time to leave and clean up a bit, I also helped a bit (and imo, if 30 people help a bit, it goes REALLY fast).
nothing too serious though, I'm at porc's place right now and it's ok, you can't enter the place and say "wtf 30 people crashed here !!" :)

of course, I'm being very light headed about this cuz it's not my house, but I've seen way worse in my smasher's life :)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
JD speaking :

That's your problem.

JD speaking :

the house got really messy (still 10 times less messy than my place before ESA2 though), and people weren't putting too much efforts into the cleaning... personnally, I crashed at his place a lot and tried not to mess up the place too much, (except for the toilets, sorry my smelly **** XD) and when it was time to leave and clean up a bit, I also helped a bit (and imo, if 30 people help a bit, it goes REALLY fast).
nothing too serious though, I'm at porc's place right now and it's ok, you can't enter the place and say "wtf 30 people crashed here !!" :)

of course, I'm being very light headed about this cuz it's not my house, but I've seen way worse in my smasher's life :)
Well, according to the way Salepate wrote this message on the french boards, and the way he told me about it on msn, it was really really messy. He was really bitter and told me porc felt the same way. When you house 30 people and offer them food, you expect some respect. And not cleaning or making everyone late (for those who can't read french, salepate mentionned it with the exemple of people not leaving before they drank a cup of coffee, even though everyone had to leve for the venue) isn't quite the way to show respect or gratitude.

So Tero, if you cleaned what you did and didn't make everyone wait for you, then this post isn't aimed at you.

porc

Smash Journeyman
arf, it was not thaaaat bad... i'm not mad at anyone. 30 people is really hard to handle, and it could have been so much worse (nothing was broke, my cats are still OK, and my toilets still runs =) )

talk about the good sides of the tournament ! CJ came ! Makenshi is back into the melee scene and still owns ! ****ing norwegians came and rocked the place :D ! crews were so much fun ! delicious cakes !

see you all at TSL4 or at smashers reunion 4 !

Top Bottom