• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Armor. The Defence Against the Final Smash?

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
We all know about Ike's up-special right? During some points he takes damage but won't flinch. This has been referred to as Super Armor.

Suppose Link grabs the Smash Ball and fires his triforce at me (Ike). Before the Triforce hits and traps me, I use my up special. I take any possible damage the Triforce can give, but I don't flinch.

Do you think this would Cancel out the rest of the Final Smash?
If so, would this be looked upon as advanced?
Would it be the new "meteor cancel"?
Do you think the team has already thought of this?
What other offensive Final Smashes would it work with (if it worked) ?

pirkid

Smash Lord
It was also said that this sort of technique would apply to heavier characters.
So it may be advanced, but it may be like edgeteching, only certain peoepl can wall jump and only certain people can withstand knockback, etc.

Fox's Shine spike is screwed...

THEmSHAKE

Smash Apprentice
No, while its said that heavier characters wont flinch at certain times during a move, they still take damage. Against mario's final smash, for example, the best you hope for is not to suffer much knock back. Though, that move didn't seem to have much anyway.

Vagrant Lustoid

Smash Journeyman
The uper armour only lasts until he grabs the thrown sword, from the way the comments on the update seem to be structured. So after grabbing it, I imagine the armour is gone.

As for the Final Smash thing, well... one thing I will say is that it would suck to use the Zero Laser, only to have Ike Aether his way to survival through it. I hope final smashes cancel through super armour for the most part, though I can't imagine they would cancel Ike's as that runs the risk of him losing his sword, unless it just appears in his hand again in the rare cases of a Final Smash hitting him, knocking him away from the sword in the middle of an Aether and him surviving.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
I doubt it will matter much, since FS probably won't be enabled with no items in competative.

Xigger

Smash Lord
At times with low damage, that's called the Metal box. :p

I think the only way to dodge the Final Smash is too.... well, dodge. It only comes once a match anyways.

gnosis

Smash Lord
I think what he's saying is the Triforce hits during Ike's SA frames, he doesn't flinch and instead jumps up to his sword, then lands behind Link, who had automatically rushed forward to swing where the Triforce hit... which is now just a bunch of air.

In other words, it doesn't matter that Ike's SA frames don't last through the whole fsmash, since he used them to dodge it.

Which would be pretty sad for Link ;_;

Card

Smash Lord
Here is something I wrote in a thread back when Aether was announced.

The real reason Sakurai made Ike not Flinch during the beginning of Aether is actually extremely simple and logical....

Character Model Animation Issues.

Let me break it down so everyone can understand. Basically, the reason Ike doesn't flinch after he throws his sword, is because during those moments Ike's sword is no longer part of his character model. It becomes disjointed. What would happen to Ike if he Flinched before grabbing his sword? His body would go flying, and his Sword? well... it would have to stay behind in order to make logical sense. This would cause a WHOLE SLEW of additional technical problems that just ARE NOT necessary for Ike to have in his move set. If he was able to be knocked away while his sword was in the air, interrupting him from catching it, they would have to do a whole script on; picking up the sword, moves without the sword, what happens to the sword if it falls off the stage, etc.. etc.. It's just an unnecessary hassle.

So whats an easy fix? Just make Ike un-flinchable until he grabs his sword. This way, there will be no problems and the only time Ike can be knocked away is while his sword is in his hand.

I realize he also mentioned that many characters will also gain moves similar to this. But really people, do not get your hopes too high into this thinking heavy-weight characters will be drastically changed.
Bowser and any other Heavy-Weights may have some 'un-flinchable' frames during their moves in order to balance them out. I doubt that heavy characters will have "super armor" on ALL their attacks that last the entire time.

Everything will be balanced... don't worry.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
We all know about Ike's up-special right? During some points he takes damage but won't flinch. This has been referred to as Super Armor.

Suppose Link grabs the Smash Ball and fires his triforce at me (Ike). Before the Triforce hits and traps me, I use my up special. I take any possible damage the Triforce can give, but I don't flinch.

Do you think this would Cancel out the rest of the Final Smash?
If so, would this be looked upon as advanced?
Would it be the new "meteor cancel"?
Do you think the team has already thought of this?
What other offensive Final Smashes would it work with (if it worked) ?
You know that's a good point. If this were true don't you think the heavy characters would be a little broken. I mean with the super Armor they'll be living past attacks that should have killed them easily at 300%. And I know we'll have people spamming this move at tourneys. This would be gay.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Final Smashes may have a unique twist.

• The player is invincible while using the Final Smash.
  • The attack he/she uses would be unblockable and can't be reflected (which means the Franklin Badge is useless).
  • Final Smashes would also cancel the effects of the Starman, Metal Box, and Cloaking Device.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
I think the final smash.... taking in consideration its power and the limited times you can use it..... they will be unavoidable....

I mean, even when you spot dodge.. it will hit... (FS like Links)

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
Actually, with an attack like Link's, I would imagine that if you connect with the opening move, it would go into a cinematic while the rest of the move took place.

Example:

Link fires Triforce beam and connects.

BAM!

Then, everything freezes while Link enters the Triforce Slash.

Multiple Hits!

When the attack is done, everything goes back to normal.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
Actually, with an attack like Link's, I would imagine that if you connect with the opening move, it would go into a cinematic while the rest of the move took place.

Example:

Link fires Triforce beam and connects.

BAM!

Then, everything freezes while Link enters the Triforce Slash.

Multiple Hits!

When the attack is done, everything goes back to normal.
See, but you're missing the point.

What if Ike uses Aether, abuses the Super Armor, and you DON'T connect?

Puffs

Smash Ace
Even if you receive absolutely no knockback from a Final Smash, you'd still get an insane amount of damage.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Why ppl think the development teams dont even test out there own games. Obviously theyve thought of this already.

Top Bottom