• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
Hey fellow adepts, i'm dropping here for a moment to show my support, hoping that today could be our day. And because of that i made an artwork with the artstyle of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, hope you like it!! :D

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Hey fellow adepts, i'm dropping here for a moment to show my support, hoping that today could be our day. And because of that i made an artwork with the artstyle of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, hope you like it!! :D

Wow, that's really good! I like the little details you added to his outfit. Good stuff!

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528

"You thought it was an anime swordsman, but it was me, Isaac!"

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman

I love it so much!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Once I saw who it was I shut off the stream. Oh well. I don't have money to spend on DLC anyway.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I got nothing against it. It looks like they play my kind of dumb and chaotic.

I love how Sakurai said they didn't have to do animation or voice or models but they worked the programers to death lmao.

Would this have been announced at E3, even with the proximity to the event this weekend matching up nicely instead? Likely yes. With Microsoft detailing the Series X, would have made it a show for them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, that was certainly disappointing,

The nicest thing I can say about Steve is that it's still a better inclusion than :ultpiranha:
Ironic considering they still want to immerse you into the idea that the Zombie and Enderman alts ARE those generic enemies, and not just skins. Even though they are.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Well my most NOT wanted is in so be it. But idk i don't feel Steve fits Smash...

I do understand and see how much Sakurai worked for every stage to be buildable blocks and stuff but yeah. This killed my hype

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
While I'm not fond of how he looks or is animated in the game (the whole reason I didn't want him, but now I'm neutral), I'm happy that Sakurai and the Dev Team were able to pull off such a complicated character.

We've come such a long way from back when Ridley was too big.

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Honestly, I find myself waaaaaay more hype for Steve than I ever anticipated. I love Minecraft and Steve's moveset looks great and unique. I was 100% against him before today, but as is tradition, Sakurai's won me over with a charming reveal trailer and a very clever concept. Looking forward to Saturday!

Nawgust

Smash Rookie
As someone who has 0 interest in Steve, I actually thought that was pretty cool. The gameplay looks very interesting and I think it'll be the type of character that people just enjoy playing around with. I'm sure many fans are losing their minds right now with their favorite character getting into Smash, hopefully we'll be able to relate by the end of this pass.

Like him or not, Steve is a huge character in both the industry and pop culture. If we're only going to be getting one character between June and sometime next year, it makes sense that they would bank on a large presence. A character like Isaac has a large fanbase but is also a literal "who?" to many. I picture him being sandwiched in between other reveals, similarly to Banjo.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Goddamit, Vergeben!
Y'know, I'm kind of glad Vergeben got the discussion happening for Steve a long time ago. I agree he looks really out of place, and I definitely would have preferred Minecraft not be included at all, but at least we've had a long time to prepare for this eventuality. Allowed me to skip past any anger I might have had and just appreciate what the character actually brings to the table. The building mechanic should make for some casual silliness (assuming it doesn't accidentally break competitive play), and the stage/music seem charming enough. More than anything, though, I look forward to beating him up absolutely mercilessly.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Minecraft characters in general along with something like Fortnite were the only kinds of picks I really didn't want. I have to be honest, this was a shot that directly killed my hype for the rest of the character pass. The only thing that could revive me is an Isaac reveal, though that certainly doesn't help me for today. Feels kind of raw at the moment especially with how long we've begged for Golden Sun content.

I'm really not sold on the gameplay for them, even though it must have taken some immense effort from the Smash team to program in. That is due in part to Minecraft never having been a game that intrigued me enough to play it. Right now, my initial reaction is that they still don't belong as a main fighters, similar to the Miis, who I've also long hated. Is it envy, jealousy and some salt? Yeah. Definitely makes you feel really old.

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, I'm kind of glad Vergeben got the discussion happening for Steve a long time ago. I agree he looks really out of place, and I definitely would have preferred Minecraft not be included at all, but at least we've had a long time to prepare for this eventuality. Allowed me to skip past any anger I might have had and just appreciate what the character actually brings to the table. The building mechanic should make for some casual silliness (assuming it doesn't accidentally break competitive play), and the stage/music seem charming enough. More than anything, though, I look forward to beating him up absolutely mercilessly.
The character is going to be either Bayonetta levels of broken or completely useless. There's going to be no in-between with the way the moveset is structured. Can you imagine ledge guarding without even leaving the stage by just making the ledge 4 blocks higher? He doesn't fit in any capacity, in my opinion.

Also it's more likely that Vergeben caused this than him knowing about it. He was talking that **** for the base game, then when it didn't happen he pivoted saying it must be DLC. There's absolutely no way he had any idea about fighter pass 7 that long ago. All the discussion about it he caused could very well have been some of the justification Nintendo used when asking (Basically forcing) Sakurai to add Steve.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like Sakurai's message really reinforces the idea that Nintendo have a big say in who is part of this fighter pass. It seems like he can veto their suggestion if he think it's not feasible or difficult to implement....but if Steve is any indication I feel like that could be more "in theory" than "in practice". I mean, they had to rework every stage just to get Steve to work....it makes me think that Sakurai is unlikely to say no to Nintendos requests.

So it really feels to me now like we're relying on Nintendo themselves to give the go ahead for Isaac. I'm not sure how confident I really feel about that possibility, even if we do get a Golden Sun remake/4.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
At least we know they'll do a ****ton of work to make a character work, as seen with Sakurai saying they had to rework every stage for Steve's blocks. If they can do that, whatever workload is necessary for promoting an AT as DLC should be fine.

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Honestly, I find myself waaaaaay more hype for Steve than I ever anticipated.
That's my case too, but he was already a character I wanted to see. Not at the same level as Isaac obviously, or even Elma, Shantae or Phoenix, but still.

I feel like Sakurai's message really reinforces the idea that Nintendo have a big say in who is part of this fighter pass. It seems like he can veto their suggestion if he think it's not feasible or difficult to implement....but if Steve is any indication I feel like that could be more "in theory" than "in practice". I mean, they had to rework every stage just to get Steve to work....it makes me think that Sakurai is unlikely to say no to Nintendos requests.

So it really feels to me now like we're relying on Nintendo themselves to give the go ahead for Isaac. I'm not sure how confident I really feel about that possibility, even if we do get a Golden Sun remake/4.
Nintendo chose Corrin and Byleth to promote games. If Golden Sun Remake is real, that's actually a good thing for Isaac in Smash.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Nintendo chose Corrin and Byleth to promote games. If Golden Sun Remake is real, that's actually a good thing for Isaac in Smash.
Maybe.

I'm not really convinced they would add a character just for a Golden Sun remake though, unless they were planning for it to be sort of like a reboot of the Golden Sun series at the same time.

Although I guess if Steve has taught me (or retaught me) anything it's that what you don't expect to happen can definitely still happen.

Last edited:

DrakeHavok

Smash Cadet
Well, at least the bandage has been ripped off now, rather than at the end of the pass. Am still going to keep hoping for Isaac, or Matthew, or SOMEONE from Golden Sun to get put in later (and if Nintendo wants my money for this travesty, that is literally the only thing they can do).

TempestSurge

Smash Ace

To tell you the truth, I think I'd rather roll the dice on Nintendo shoving in Isaac to garner interest for the series return than to think Sakurai's rpg pick won't go to a Xenoblade rep or some other nostalgia rpg series from his gaming years lol.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well, at least the bandage has been ripped off now, rather than at the end of the pass. Am still going to keep hoping for Isaac, or Matthew, or SOMEONE from Golden Sun to get put in later (and if Nintendo wants my money for this travesty, that is literally the only thing they can do).
I mean there could be other bandages.

Who's up for a Fortnite rep in Smash?

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for everyone who really wanted Steve in, but my excitement for dlc is almost completely gone. This is the third straight dlc character I really don’t care about...

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for everyone who really wanted Steve in, but my excitement for dlc is almost completely gone. This is the third straight dlc character I really don’t care about...
I was at least okay with most of the previous ones. Banjo has a lot of nostalgic Nintendo appeal, Dragon Quest is one of the longest running Japanese franchises ever, and Terry is a nice nod to another long running fighting franchise. Min Min/ARMS is also a nice new Nintendo series even if it's not one I really go for.

But Minecraft is little more than a weird blocky game to me. I can understand the appeal of some games I'm not a fan of, but that game's wide appeal has always been mind-boggling to me.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm really glad we got Min-Min. She wasn't one of my most wanted characters by any means, but at least she still broke up a potential conga line of disappointment.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I can't really complain, I was 3/5 satisfied with pass 1, so some ppl getting stuff they like that I don't should be fair, I just hope pass 2 has SOMETHING that I can actually say " i love this!" like lloyd or dante or isaac… lol here's hoping, we have a lot of the pass left ahead!

Top Bottom