• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I am super late to pointing this out but people mention how GS music is already in Smash ignoring is exactly one of the things that raised eyebrows when base game was done. If we got bunch of spirits, the AT back and a Mii costume, how come we didn't get any new music tracks? The three things we missed are exactly the ones offered with DLC, a playable character, a stage and music. (And extra spirits, but there are still plenty to choose from).

We have also kept hearing this rumors about GS coming back ever since the new trademark appeared and more after it got approved as something completely different from the others (in like, not a renewal), so maybe we are getting there
Funny you mention that. There are two Nintendo IPs that did not get ANY (new) songs in base game but got Mii costume(s), Spirits, and an AT. Golden Sun and ARMS. You know what else? Spring Man and Isaac were shown last in the Nov 2018 Smash Direct. You’d think ARMS would get at least one song in base game and GS get one new remix or a rip of an old song like Isaac’s Battle Theme since Motoi Sakuraba was helping compose for Smash. But nope. Nothing. Also something going on with Sakuraba too, but I forget what.

Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Funny you mention that. There are two Nintendo IPs that did not get ANY (new) songs in base game but got Mii costume(s), Spirits, and an AT. Golden Sun and ARMS. You know what else? Spring Man and Isaac were shown last in the Nov 2018 Smash Direct. You’d think ARMS would get at least one song in base game and GS get one new remix or a rip of an old song like Isaac’s Battle Theme since Motoi Sakuraba was helping compose for Smash. But nope. Nothing. Also something going on with Sakuraba too, but I forget what.

I'm not going to pretend this gives me hope, as I'm constantly let down by the overabundance of RPG characters from all RPGs except the one I actually have a personal connection towards.

But I will say, Golden Sun is the Nintendo franchise I most want to get a character (though Chibi Robo and Balloon Fight hold a special place).

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Especially considering how every single Golden Sun spirit battle save for Matthew's used the same song, while at the same time they ripped songs like Funky's Fugue and Ice Cave Chant directly from older platforms than the GBA. They clearly aren't averse to just ripping old songs for the sake of musical variety, and yet somehow this one song is one of the most used songs in the game.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master

Golden Sun's and ARMS base game/pre-FP2 content has been on the back of my mind honestly. One thing that got my attention is that both were also leagues above other "non-playable franchises" in terms of the amount of content they got IIRC (back when ARMS still didn't have a playable character of course).

Could just be a massive coincidence and could just be me reading too deeply into things, which is why I'm not really trying to hype things up too much here. It's still something that has caught my attention and got me thinking atleast.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
One thing that got my attention is that both were also leagues above other "non-playable franchises" in terms of the amount of content they got IIRC
Rhythm Heaven also was leagues above other non-playable franchises. Sakurai must be sorry for not including an RH fighter in 4.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Rhythm Heaven also was leagues above other non-playable franchises. Sakurai must be sorry for not including an RH fighter in 4.
Hmmm, was RH? I could kinda see it. Wouldn't really put it on GS or ARMS' level though since those both got an AT and Mii costumes, while RH only got a some spirits and a music track I think?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A big playable series not getting any new music would give me pause.

A small series without any new games or playable characters that already got a good amount of new content not getting any new music does not.

Series that aren't playable just don't get much attention compared to those that do. Not getting more than it already did isn't particularly suspicious.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Series that aren't playable just don't get much attention compared to those that do. Not getting more than it already did isn't particularly suspicious.
I definitely agree with you BUT as a beggar for a playable Golden Sun character...I shall cling to any hope I can get. Lol.

But in all seriousness, one thing I found strange about Ultimate was Sakurai’s lack of highlighting lesser known Nintendo series with playable representation. Let’s disregard 64 as it was the original game but considering the others:
Melee: Marth and Roy (Fire Emblem), Ice Climbers and Mr G&W
Brawl: Pit (Kid Icarus) and R.O.B.
Smash 4: Shulk (Xenoblade), Little Mac (Punch Out) and Duck Hunt

Ultimate didn’t give us that at all which is weird. Of course we all understand the time contraints Sakurai and his team were under. But I do find it strange that even the rumored Rhythm Heaven character, which SEEMED to be originally planned for Smash 4 as dataminers found an unused Rhythm Heaven icon in the files as well as the random RH character that was an enemy in Smash Run, didn’t even get in.

Then of course Ultimate releases and Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun both strangely have a large number of Spirits in the game for a series without playable characters.

This might be me just putting my tinfoil hat on with this conspiracy theory but...we know Fighter Pass 1’s characters were planned before release. Because they were dealing with third parties, those characters most likely held precedent over any Nintendo character who they didn’t have enough time to put in. Considering Roy was introduced in Melee before his game released, is it far fetched to assume Byleth was actually planned for the base roster along with an Arms character and maybe other Nintendo characters? Maybe...

Now of course this is all just wishful thinking but considering the position us GS fans are in, all I can do is have wishful thinking! Lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I definitely agree with you BUT as a beggar for a playable Golden Sun character...I shall cling to any hope I can get. Lol.

But in all seriousness, one thing I found strange about Ultimate was Sakurai’s lack of highlighting lesser known Nintendo series with playable representation. Let’s disregard 64 as it was the original game but considering the others:
Melee: Marth and Roy (Fire Emblem), Ice Climbers and Mr G&W
Brawl: Pit (Kid Icarus) and R.O.B.
Smash 4: Shulk (Xenoblade), Little Mac (Punch Out) and Duck Hunt

Ultimate didn’t give us that at all which is weird. Of course we all understand the time contraints Sakurai and his team were under. But I do find it strange that even the rumored Rhythm Heaven character, which SEEMED to be originally planned for Smash 4 as dataminers found an unused Rhythm Heaven icon in the files as well as the random RH character that was an enemy in Smash Run, didn’t even get in.
Yeah but you gotta consider that normally Smash games add around fifteen completely original new fighters in base, which is the best place to sneak in some lesser known characters. Ultimate added five, one of whom was third-party, and another of whom was promotional. The remaining three were Ridley, K. Rool and Inkling, who need no explanation. Had we received the typical number of original newcomers in base, you'd probably have seen an additional new Nintendo series or two. You probably would've seen Isaac.

Then of course Ultimate releases and Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun both strangely have a large number of Spirits in the game for a series without playable characters.
They're basically the two biggest Nintendo series without playable representation; it'd be stranger if a bunch of other unrepresented series had more than them.

This might be me just putting my tinfoil hat on with this conspiracy theory but...we know Fighter Pass 1’s characters were planned before release. Because they were dealing with third parties, those characters most likely held precedent over any Nintendo character who they didn’t have enough time to put in. Considering Roy was introduced in Melee before his game released, is it far fetched to assume Byleth was actually planned for the base roster along with an Arms character and maybe other Nintendo characters? Maybe...

Now of course this is all just wishful thinking but considering the position us GS fans are in, all I can do is have wishful thinking! Lol
I don't think that timeline adds up. The base Ultimate roster was decided in 2015, that's too early to pay consideration to Byleth. I mean that's the same year Fates came out. And ARMS, presumably, was in development at that point, but Nintendo doesn't add unproven series to Smash. Plus, you have a statement with Sakurai explicitly saying ARMS arrived too late to be included.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that timeline adds up. The base Ultimate roster was decided in 2015, that's too early to pay consideration to Byleth. I mean that's the same year Fates came out. And ARMS, presumably, was in development at that point, but Nintendo doesn't add unproven series to Smash. Plus, you have a statement with Sakurai explicitly saying ARMS arrived too late to be included.
Yeah you’re right. I completely forgot about him saying the roster was decided in late 2015. Well like I said it was gonna sound like a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory after all, lol.

I guess the only thing we can have solace in is the last two dlc being Nintendo owned characters. The only “bad news” is those characters being from new games released after the base roster was completed. So of course we are back to hoping for a new game being announced soon.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Just learned that Isaac’s Pound Psynergy can turn characters into Assist trophy globes. Lol

I am really hoping this 2nd Pass is mostly 1st Party. There are still a lot of good 1st Party characters (like Isaac of course) that need to be playable. Also hoping they look to the their older IPs for it too.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Just learned that Isaac’s Pound Psynergy can turn characters into Assist trophy globes. Lol

I am really hoping this 2nd Pass is mostly 1st Party. There are still a lot of good 1st Party characters (like Isaac of course) that need to be playable. Also hoping they look to the their older IPs for it too.
But first-party characters would be boring and scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point! :4pacman:

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
Why is this thread not visible in the forum? I have to go to my profile and see my activity to find it, is something the matter with Isaac?

Also, this new Album, the one Cloud's voice actor liked, how can I listen to it?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Why is this thread not visible in the forum? I have to go to my profile and see my activity to find it, is something the matter with Isaac?

Also, this new Album, the one Cloud's voice actor liked, how can I listen to it?
It dropped to the second page.

I guess a bunch of of support threads got atleast one person to say something while we didn't.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I'm assuming he meant Claude's VA.

Also low-key, for whatever reason I've been thinking about Isaac getting a reveal trailer and, it may sound dumb, but I actually use "Isaac getting into Smash" as a strategy to fake-cry for acting purposes. It legit gets me emotional enough to do that.

So the day someone asks me, "Wow, how do you fake cry on stage/on a video like that", I'm just like "Isaac."

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I'm assuming he meant Claude's VA.

Also low-key, for whatever reason I've been thinking about Isaac getting a reveal trailer and, it may sound dumb, but I actually use "Isaac getting into Smash" as a strategy to fake-cry for acting purposes. It legit gets me emotional enough to do that.

So the day someone asks me, "Wow, how do you fake cry on stage/on a video like that", I'm just like "Isaac."
Umm sorry, can you explain?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Umm sorry, can you explain?
When it comes to acting, it's very difficult to cry on cue. Most people use some kind of emotional event in their past to get themselves to cry when needed, while he uses the idea of Isaac getting into Smash.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
When it comes to acting, it's very difficult to cry on cue. Most people use some kind of emotional event in their past to get themselves to cry when needed, while he uses the idea of Isaac getting into Smash.
Oh. So it means he uses that situation to help him feel emotional.
I've only supported Isaac for like an year and a half, but I can see where he's coming from. If that happens, it's a childhood dream come true!

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
You've just gotta use what works, and Isaac certainly fills that slot for me ^^

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It reminds me of how I teared up with Banjo even knowing by my NoA guy and Shinobi that it was gonna happen. He just looked so GOOOOD. I think I won't have to fake anything again when/if Isaac makes it in as well haha.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Person 1: "I use the fact that I lost someone very dear to me to get me to cry"

Person 2: "I use the memory of a terrible natural disaster destroying me home town and ruining my neighbors' lives to get me emotional on stage"

Person 3: "I just think about all the terrible crimes that have been committed against humanity. Just thinking about it gets me tearful."

Person 1: "how about you?"

Billy: "Isaac"

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Fully expecting if Isaac is revealed for someone in my house to barge in and tell me to shut up because I'll be screaming.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised, just relieved as I won't have to wait for long anymore.
Though you'll hear me accross the pacific with a "PUTAIN, ENFIN! C'EST PAS TROP TÔT!"

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I don't know for sure how I'd react to a Golden Sun announcement, but I do know that the most excited I've ever been at a game announcement was Reggie announcing Golden Sun DS back at E3 2009. I remember jumping off the couch and yelling "YES" over and over like an raving madman through the brief trailer because I was so surprised that the series that made me love RPGs for the first time was coming back. As for now, given I've been actively hoping to see Isaac in Smash for over a decade, and a new Golden Sun game for nearly as long? Well, I'll be surprised if crying isn't involved.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I would cry tears of joy if Isaac ever gets revealed!

Also speaking of reveals I had a interesting dream a few nights back. So I was at my place and turned on Smash. You know how sometimes an announcement screen comes up for the game when you first start it? Well the screen came up and showed, “Fighter Pass 3 available for pre-purchase.” I then went to start a match and of course our golden boy, Isaac, was there right after Min Min, along with the other 4 characters from pass 2. I stopped to look up his reveal trailer on my phone and although it wasn’t what I thought it would be...it was actually pretty cool. The trailer went like this:

*It starts literally at the end of Min Min’s trailer with her and Kirby eating ramen with Falcon in the back. Suddenly everything stops and you can see a “pause button” icon in the corner. The pause icon then turns into a rewind icon and we start to see Byleth’s trailer and the video does a quick pause at Byleth’s splash screen. The trailer repeats these quick rewinds with slight pauses at every dlc character in backwards order of course, but then it stops at the reveal of the Fatal Frame assist trophy. Then the black screen appears with the words “Assist Trophies” but then before transitioning a “?” appears behind the words. Golden Sun battle music plays and we see Isaac’s assist trophy but the scene is different as the assist trophy gets taken out by Shulk, Link and Marth. Suddenly the trailer shifts to cgi as the three of them look up at the respawn platform and a silhouetted figure jumps down but you can see Isaac’s yellow scarf as well as Flint on his shoulder. A remix of the battle music plays showing Isaac’s splash screen, but I’m not sure what it said.*

Anyways, hopefully that dream was a glitch in the matrix and I was actually seeing the future. Lol

Last edited:

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
I wouldn't be surprised, just relieved as I won't have to wait for long anymore.
Though you'll hear me accross the pacific with a "PUTAIN, ENFIN! C'EST PAS TROP TÔT!"
I will add "BORDEL OUI ENFIN LE VOILA !! DEPUIS LE TEMPS" and stuff like that x)

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Honestly I would cry tears of joy if Isaac ever gets revealed!

Also speaking of reveals I had a interesting dream a few nights back. So I was at my place and turned on Smash. You know how sometimes an announcement screen comes up for the game when you first start it? Well the screen came up and showed, “Fighter Pass 3 available for pre-purchase.” I then went to start a match and of course our golden boy, Isaac, was there right after Min Min, along with the other 4 characters from pass 2. I stopped to look up his reveal trailer on my phone and although it wasn’t what I thought it would be...it was actually pretty cool. The trailer went like this:

*It starts literally at the end of Min Min’s trailer with her and Kirby eating ramen with Falcon in the back. Suddenly everything stops and you can see a “pause button” icon in the corner. The pause icon then turns into a rewind icon and we start to see Byleth’s trailer and the video does a quick pause at Byleth’s splash screen. The trailer repeats these quick rewinds with slight pauses at every dlc character in backwards order of course, but then it stops at the reveal of the Fatal Frame assist trophy reveal. Then the black screen appears with the words “Assist Trophies” but then before transitioning a “?” appears behind the words. Golden Sun battle music plays and we see Isaac’s assist trophy but the scene is different as the assist trophy gets taken out by Shulk, Link and Marth. Suddenly the trailer shifts to cgi as the three of them look up at the respawn platform and a silhouetted figure jumps down but you can see Isaac’s yellow scarf as well as Flint on his shoulder. A remix of the battle music plays showing Isaac’s splash screen, but I’m not sure what it said.*

Anyways, hopefully that dream was a glitch in the matrix and I was actually seeing the future. Lol
Who were the other 4?

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Who were the other 4?
Looking back, I probably should have included the other four in my earlier post. As I said, Isaac was right after Min Min and the next four were:

The Monster Hunter
Lara Croft
Master Chief
Aloy (Horizon Zero Dawn)

So very obviously a dream lol

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
This is random, but I thought it would be cool if Isaac uses Thunder Mine in Smash like this, probably as a fsmash:
03b01bf4043a00c06b010394a38482493b09e1f19462645165151d03f7fb80f69fd361b0a5bcdc99c78b0dc75bd35f...gif

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Reading on about the possible reactions we'd have on Isaac being playable reminded me of the time I must had felt complete opposite to that, unfortunately...

Mainly back on Isaac being shown as this "long-awaited returning" Assist Trophy back in November 2018 Direct... and then Piranha Plant was shown as playable right after.

I remember deleting the reaction video upon trying to process what went down - I sounded quite upset, if I can say anything...

Makes it bit difficult to explore a possible scenario where we'd have the opposite right now. I keep only wondering if Isaac's fate will just stay that for rest of the Ultimate's run.

1594205996656.png

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
Reading on about the possible reactions we'd have on Isaac being playable reminded me of the time I must had felt complete opposite to that, unfortunately...

Mainly back on Isaac being shown as this "long-awaited returning" Assist Trophy back in November 2018 Direct... and then Piranha Plant was shown as playable right after.

I remember deleting the reaction video upon trying to process what went down - I sounded quite upset, if I can say anything...

Makes it bit difficult to explore a possible scenario where we'd have the opposite right now. I keep only wondering if Isaac's fate will just stay that for rest of the Ultimate's run.

View attachment 277686
That was my single lowest moment. I still can't bring myself to play Plant or Hero. I think I can equate the joy I'd feel on an announcement to the joy I felt when Sailor Moon Crystal was announced. I mean, it didn't turn out that great in the end, but at the time knowing they were continuing/remaking one of my favorite things of all time was pure happiness. I told everyone even if they didn't care and smiled for weeks.

1594210216617.png

As someone who completed Octopath and absolutely loved every second of it, I'm very excited for this and this picture makes me incredibly happy. Also consider that the JRPG genre is getting attention and respect from Sakurai and NIntendo. Bravely Default 2, all the Final Fantasy ports, Octopath, Hero in Smash, ect. I've said it before but a rising tide lifts all ships.

It's very hard to do something as cute as that picture for Octopath in Smash and completely forget something like Golden Sun, a first-party beloved JPRG that people have been clamoring for, exists.

Top Bottom