• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Wow my personal definition of RPG is reallt broad lol. I define RPGs as any game where you play a role as a character/class... Guess I need to narrow that down a lot haha

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
*grabs tinfoil hat*

You know..... with Shulks blog post we now have every character in the Rathalos tweet.

They're obviously making sure we know who the cast members of Isaacs reveal trailer is.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
You know what makes me feel really old/out of touch? When people here mention which Youtuber/Twitch streamer said what, lol. I'm not old by any means but I never really got into the streamer stuff. Maybe if I was able to watch Youtube/Twitch at work I would keep up more, but as it stands when I DO have some time to myself, I prefer to play games for myself rather than watch other people play them.

This isn't to hate on anyone that likes streamers and Youtube personalities. To the contrary I think they're just another way the industry has changed and clearly they mean a lot to a lot of people. For me personally I just have trouble believing when people say "Wow, Streamer X gave a shoutout to Golden Sun, and Youtuber Y is doing a Let's Play right now! This is going to bring so many people onboard!" that it's actually meaningful. But I think I underestimate the wide reach a lot of these personalities have just because I don't really keep up with them.

So I guess I'm just trying to ask: is it ACTUALLY a big deal when this kind of stuff happens? I guess if someone has millions of subscribers that they do have the power to influence the fate of smaller/more obscure games.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
You know what makes me feel really old/out of touch? When people here mention which Youtuber/Twitch streamer said what, lol. I'm not old by any means but I never really got into the streamer stuff. Maybe if I was able to watch Youtube/Twitch at work I would keep up more, but as it stands when I DO have some time to myself, I prefer to play games for myself rather than watch other people play them.

This isn't to hate on anyone that likes streamers and Youtube personalities. To the contrary I think they're just another way the industry has changed and clearly they mean a lot to a lot of people. For me personally I just have trouble believing when people say "Wow, Streamer X gave a shoutout to Golden Sun, and Youtuber Y is doing a Let's Play right now! This is going to bring so many people onboard!" that it's actually meaningful. But I think I underestimate the wide reach a lot of these personalities have just because I don't really keep up with them.

So I guess I'm just trying to ask: is it ACTUALLY a big deal when this kind of stuff happens? I guess if someone has millions of subscribers that they do have the power to influence the fate of smaller/more obscure games.
You know what they say, the more attention, the better.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Scott the Woz gave GS a very brief but welcome shoutout in his DS video.
Also, I think a possible explanation to the characters in the rathalos tweet "skipping over Brawl" is because Brawl had no new first party RPG franchises added. Melee added FE and 4 added Xenoblade. Is Zelda an RPG? I've always considered it an adventure/RPG
He did not skip Brawl, Isaac debuted in brawl, he's the fourth character cut by the picture, calling it.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I feel like the qualifiers for Isaac to be with the trio of Link/Marth/Shulk isn't because they're RPG protags (because they would look a lot different if it was picked just because of that), but because of 4 other things.
1. They're swordsman with different feels and handling.
2. They're considered the "face" of the franchise. The go to character whenever anything thinks of these franchises.
3. They were all franchise newcomers with each entry they entered into.
4. They're Nintendo characters (which means no cloud.)

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I feel like people are overthinking all the connections to Golden Sun with the Rathalos screenshot. The Camelot angle was more than enough for me to believe it was a reference haha.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I feel like the qualifiers for Isaac to be with the trio of Link/Marth/Shulk isn't because they're RPG protags (because they would look a lot different if it was picked just because of that), but because of 3 other things.
1. They're swordsman with different feels and handling.
2. They're considered the "face" of the franchise. The go to character whenever anything thinks of these franchises.
3. They were all franchise newcomers with each entry they entered into.
4. They're Nintendo characters (which means no cloud.)
Do you have any idea what you just said about #4?!? I didn't even realize that! Holy s***!!!

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
Scott the Woz gave GS a very brief but welcome shoutout in his DS video.
Also, I think a possible explanation to the characters in the rathalos tweet "skipping over Brawl" is because Brawl had no new first party RPG franchises added. Melee added FE and 4 added Xenoblade. Is Zelda an RPG? I've always considered it an adventure/RPG
I've called Zelda an RPG since Zelda II the Adventure of Link.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I feel like people are overthinking all the connections to Golden Sun with the Rathalos screenshot. The Camelot angle was more than enough for me to believe it was a reference haha.
You see, that's the strange part though. It SHOULD have ended at the camera angle. But no, we found a lot more connections to Golden Sun with that pic making it much more than a coincidence. It's actually kind of scary.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
You see, that's the strange part though. It SHOULD have ended at the camera angle. But no, we found a lot more connections to Golden Sun with that pic making it much more than a coincidence. It's actually kind of scary.
Yeah I'm just saying a few of these connections are legitimate, but some of them are a bigger reach than Mr Fantastic's arms.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Yeah I'm just saying a few of these connections are legitimate, but some of them are a bigger reach than Mr Fantastic's arms.
You're saying this, but have you heard of chairs?

Remember when the community thought THAT was a good connection to Skull Kid?

Crackpot theories and the Smash Bros community go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly.

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice
Ive been trying to go ace detective on that photo cause I havent been this emotionally invested in something video game related since people were waiting for Twilight Princess to come out. Those many years ago...

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Ive been trying to go ace detective on that photo cause I havent been this emotionally invested in something video game related since people were waiting for Twilight Princess to come out. Those many years ago...
Man! That takes me back. Those days were insane!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Lol same. Then again whatever few Youtubers I watch don’t actually play good games, I feel like it’s a waste to watch somebody play a good game when I can, you know, play it.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
got a box of tinfoil hats if anyone needs em. :p Lets just see what happens first, then we lose our minds and party if he's actually playable. Jumping the gun too soon can lead to dissapoint and all that.

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
Here are the dates at least:
Link: 6/20
Marth: 7/8
Shulk: 10/14
The rathalos tweet was 8/8. skipping a month may be indicating the jump from the "party" having nobody join from brawl. Also, fun fact, the rathalos tweet was posted 7 days after Golden Sun 1's anniversary in Japan, and Dark Dawns anniversary is right around the corner. Nintendo also always updates when we reach milestones in this thread. On top of that, it is now the first weekday since 1 month from our previous information. It all adds up /s

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The rathalos tweet was 8/8. skipping a month may be indicating the jump from the "party" having nobody join from brawl. Also, fun fact, the rathalos tweet was posted 7 days after Golden Sun 1's anniversary in Japan, and Dark Dawns anniversary is right around the corner. Nintendo also always updates when we reach milestones in this thread. On top of that, it is now the first weekday since 1 month from our previous information. It all adds up /s
That’s some prime tinfoil you got there sonny.

PokiehlthePoet

Smash Apprentice
got a box of tinfoil hats if anyone needs em. :p Lets just see what happens first, then we lose our minds and party if he's actually playable. Jumping the gun too soon can lead to dissapoint and all that.
Thats why were all here though Tappy! To throw ideas around, analyze info and ignite our hopes, and also have skeptics around to poke holes in the tinfoil hats when necessary...

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Obviously, there won't be two dedicated smash directs for two following Months. There will likely be a dedicated direct before launch. A general Direct just one month following the previous one is also highly unlikely.

But i'm at the moment thinking that a Pokemon/Smash Joint direct (mini?) like what happened already with Arms/Splatoon could be a possibility for October.
Still don't think a standalone reveal really fits with Ultimates Reveal scheme so far.

Last edited:

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet

Someone posted this in the discord. More than likely fake given Isaac's orientation, and the notches in the logo, but have to admit, I really like this render. Best one I've seen so far. Just wanted to share this beautiful render.

EDIT: Image wont load but link might work? https://i.imgur.com/wVBXtY7.png

Last edited:

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
So anyone interested in critiquing my old moveset idea?
:GCA::GCA::GCA:-Downward slash, the double forward-moving slash
:GCU:+:GCA:- Casts a weak , small rock projectile with no knockback that lasts for a short while
:GCR:+:GCA:-Uses Punji, casting a bamboo that sprouts from the ground.
:GCD:+:GCA:-Uses Growth to cast grass which sprouts from below Isaac
:GCCU:+:GCA:-Gaia. A shower of Venus energy and boulders rain closely upon the enemy.
:GCCR:+:GCA:-Thorn. A field of spiked vines sprout out from the ground in front of Isaac. Does not deal much knockback and lasts for a few moments. It does not hurt Isaac, meaning he can use Thorn as a temporary over.
:GCCD:+:GCA:-Spire.A stalagmite is cast twice. Where the direction held is down-right or down left during these two castings determines where the Spires is casts from, whether it is directly in front of Isaac or behind for for the two castinsg. Thing something sorta like Lucas's Down-Smash.
Aerial:GCA:- Cast a rock wall in front of him.
Aerial+:GCR:+:GCA:- Halt. Temporarily stops an opponent mid-movement, stunning them and letting them fall down for a brief movement in an helpless state
Aerial+:GCD:+:GCA:-Pound. Casts a magical giant hand that pounds the opponent below Isaac. Can be used to spike enemies.
Aerial+:GCL:+:GCA:-Force. Has good knockback. It involves casting a giant magical fists that leaves after-images behind it
Aerial+:GCU:+:GCA:-Upwards kick followed by Isaac casting thorny vines above him
:GCZ:+:GCZ:-Sends out a Magical Giant hand after opponent to grab them. Has great range. The pummel would be the Hand crushing the opponent multiple times
:GCZ:+:GCR:-Front-Slap. Slaps off the opponent, knocking them off forwards.
:GCZ:+:GCU:-Catch-The Hand throws the opponent upwards
:GCZ:+:GCD:-Pound. The Hand just crushes the opponent on the stage with a flat hand. Causes the opponent to bounce.
:GCZ:+:GCL:-Back-Slap-Same as Front-Slap except of course, done backwards.

Special Moves
:GCB:-Move- works similar to how it did in Brawl, except much smaller, dealing damage and with far less knockback. However, it does have several expanded abilities such as the ability to grab and throw opponents in mid-air.Press :GCB: once to activate Move. Whilst it is still active, press:GCB: before it disappears in order to grab the opponent. If successful, one has a short period of time to control the Hand whilst still holding:GCB: before being forced to throw them. One can throw them in any different direction.

:GCR:+:GCB:-Great Wall-Chargeable move. The level of charge that is held determines the distance in which Isaac creates the wall from him as well as its power in terms of damage dealt and knockback given. Great for immediately stopping all momentum of the opponent if they end up in contact with it, as they end up stunned and any damage would be absorbed by the wall. A key move in limiting offensive approach

:GCU:+:GCB:-Wild Growth- A great, thick tangle of vines ends up sprouting from a yellow portal made out of Venus energy. Very useful anti-air attack and the primary recovery method that Isaac would use. After Wild Growth stops, Isaac can the climb the vine in order to gain ground. Does not cause helpless state. Can still attack whilst climbing, however, Isaac can only attack with his sword with the:GCA: button. Another key anti-air move due to its great reach. Useful for attacking opponents directly above you.

:GCD:+:GCB:-Quake- The floor that Isaac is on ends up shaking. Opponents that are on the floor or in close proximity are send upwards, bouncing three times before being knocked up upwards

Final Smash

Judgement

As for his gameplay, I expect Isaac's gameplay to be based around anti-air zoning and ground dominance by limiting offensive approaches, heavily relying on his magical hand and his other techniques to bring the opponent down to earth. Whilst he'll be more of a grounded character, I don't expect that he will be heavily relying on mobility as it would be below-average. Rather, he stands his ground and uses techniques such as Quake, Rockfall, Spires and Growth to control and dominate on his own terms.
It is a good moveset, Isaac has a ton of potential as far as this is concerned. If you are interested I have a movset idea with some of the same moves but set up differently.

Standard Combo: 2 slashes followed by Gaia with decent knockback.
Forward Tilt: Bamboo chute comes out of the ground at 45° angle with medium range.
Down Tilt: Wild Growth grows in front of Isaac and stays for a few seconds, foes who hit it take light damage and are slowed momentarily.
Up Tilt: Thorn summoned on Isaac's hand and sweeps in a forward to up motion.
Dash: Isaac uses his jump strike standard attack from GS.

Forward Smash: Ragnarok summoned above Isaac and brought down impaling the ground in front of him.
Down Smash: Briars grow on both sides of Isaac, similar to Mega Man's down smash.
Up Smash: Rock pillar comes out of the ground striking foes, like Palutena's up smash but with a little less reach.
Grab: Isaac uses catch for a longer reaching grab. Standard hits will be the hand squeezing the opponent.
Up Throw: The hand throws the opponent above Isaac who summons Clay Spire from the ground to knock them away.
Back Throw: Isaac uses Growth which comes out underneath him. It grabs the opponent from the hand and flips them over Isaac into the ground like a suplex and lets them go to bounce away.
Forward Throw: Isaac strikes the foe with Helm Splitter.
Down Throw: The hand pushes the foe over underneath Isaac who places his hand on them and shakes the ground beneath them. Hits them with multiple rocks and then releases them to bounce away on the last strike.

Standard Aerial: Slash kick combo.
Forward Aerial: Grand Gaia explodes in front of Isaac.
Back Aerial: Reverse kick.
Up Aerial: Sweeping slash front to back.
Down Aerial: Spire summoned below Isaac and falls a short distance, meteor smash.

Standard Special: Holding B will bring up a Djinn menu, similar to Shulk's Manado Artes except they are not used immediately after being selected. A tap on B will use the selected Djinn's ability and will go on a short cooldown.
Flint: Empowers your weapon for a powerful strike.(it has a little glow to show your opponent it is equipped like DK or Samus and their charge moves)
Granite: Decreases damage received and knockback from strikes for a few seconds. Maybe shown as some kind of aura or rock shield.
Mud: Creates mud on the stage that causes foes to slip like the banana peel item. Isaac cannot slip in his own mud.
Sap: Forms a temporary energy in front of Isaac that can absorb projectiles or drain a foe, only draining a foe restores health. A different take on Ness' shield.
Mold: If used before a foe strikes it will block the damage to Isaac and strike the opponent with an image of itself. (Like a clay form or something?) So basically a counter move.
Up Special: Isaac uses Lift on himself, can be guided up. Isaac is still capable of attacking with his aerials after using this move, either while going up or on the way back down.
Side Special: Isaac uses Force and a fist flies in front of him for a short distance. After contacting the enemy if they are airborne they will be hit back, if they are on the ground the hand will smack them against the stage setting up for follow up attack.
Down Special: Isaac uses Earthquake causing shockwaves around himself that spread out for a small distance in both directions. Enemies at the initial shock point next to Isaac get buried/stunned for a couple seconds. Enemies hit by outgoing shockwave get knocked away. I think of it like a mix of DK's side Special headbutt, with his down Special stage slap with a little less damage but better range. If used in the air Isaac will rush down quickly grabbing any opponent in his way and will plant them in the ground for being in the initial shockwave zone and then unleash the shockwave as normal.

So I also imagine Isaac as a little slower but with a moveset to control the part of the stage he is on, combing multiple opponent hindering and defensive moves. While very versatile you need to space out his standard special moves because of the cooldowns. He would be fairly strong in both damage and knockbacks especially with his ground based moves, but leaving himself a little open to counter attack should you miss on your bigger strikes. (Think Captain Falco)

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Have you noticed that in Shulk's blog post for his Final Smash we see it used on Charizard ? Reminds me an awful lot of the rathalos pic to see a rpg team against a fire dragon >.>

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
So when do you think we're getting this week's direct?
We KNOW 400% it's going to be one (?) but I don't know exactly when.

Which character/s do you think they'll announce? Place your bets.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman

Someone posted this in the discord. More than likely fake given Isaac's orientation, and the notches in the logo, but have to admit, I really like this render. Best one I've seen so far. Just wanted to share this beautiful render.

I'm gonna lean towards fake because I don't want to get my hopes up. Assuming it is fake whoever made it did a good job as it really fits the style of Ultimate.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It's fake and the hair colour is definitely off, but I hope they made more than just that, so we can see the rest.

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Congrats for 600 pages

Okay with Shulk being revealed today and seeing that the order is similar to the Rathalos Pic let me remind you something.

Link and Marth were facing Shulk in his trailer reveal. BUT! Who was Shulk chasing at the beginning of his trailer?

Yeah Bowser. Okay I know he is not a Dragon but he has some similarities with them so I am OK with that.

Also a French friend of mine (cause I live in Switzerland) told me that a saler in a shop (Micromania) told him that according to a rumor Smash is going to be delayed. What do you think about it? If true could it have some connection with the slowing down characters reveals?

Edit: This render is really cool I like the style!

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
Also a French friend of mine (cause I live in Switzerland) told me that a saler in a shop (Micromania) told him that according to a rumor Smash is going to be delayed. What do you think about it? If true could it have some connection with the slowing down characters reveals?
Weird....they have been very cautious about the release date, it's everywhere and in big letters in the main page of the official website.... Sakurai is a really good game director and designer, I would be surprised if something like this happens.

But it's also true that nothing can be 100% sure in the video games industry, there're a lot of issues that could potentially delay a game....

Kisae

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darkkisae
Weird....they have been very cautious about the release date, it's everywhere and in big letters in the main page of the official website.... Sakurai is a really good game director and designer, I would be surprised if something like this happens.

But it's also true that nothing can be 100% sure in the video games industry, there're a lot of issues that could potentially delay a game....
Yeah I would find it strange that a report no one has heard would arrive on that saler's ears. Not saying it's impossible because we never know with games industry like you said. But I think Sakurai is a good perfect man and I'm sure he is going to do anything for the game to be released on time.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, that renders really cool, plus it doesnt have weird eyes like every other Isaac fan render lol

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Smash isn't getting delayed.

It's fake and the hair colour is definitely off, but I hope they made more than just that, so we can see the rest.
While I agree it's fake, I'm feeling that the lighting is causing the hair to look off rather than it just being part of the render. Definitely fake but that render looks super good.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

Wow now THAT is probably my favorite fake render for isaac! I would hope he looks something like that at least in his official one (if it happens)

Mike Cometa

Smash Rookie
Would you like if Isaac borrow some moves from the other members of his party like Ness does or will u prefer him being entirely based on himself

Last edited:

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
Would hoy like ir Isaac borrow some moves from the other members of his party like Ness does ir el you prefer him being entirely based on himself
He'd have no need to pull from his other party members, just from him alone, he has a plethora of moveset potential. would rather they'd pull from the other classes he can be. for example:
Slayer: Spire, Gaia, Quake, Ragnarok / Odyssey, Retreat, Move
War Adept: Astral Blast / Thunder Mine, Sleep, Haunt, Curse, Delude
Chaos Lord: Growth, Blast, Planet Diver
Protector: Thorn, Cutting Edge
Master: Gale, Punji, Fire Bomb, Thunderclap, Death Plunge, Shuriken
Ronin: Demon Spear, Rockfall, Lava Shower, Dragon Cloud, Demon Night, Helm Splitter, Quick Strike

then there's also Paladin, Dark Mage, Pierrot, and Tamer, and even some Psynergy I omitted. Mind you, that's just Psynergy. Not even counting Djinn or Unleashes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom