• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SumabatoX 16 Results: Featuring 9B, Kakera, Ganbaranai (Hayase), and Busa!

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
SumabatoX 16
(60+ Entrants)
Bracket

1st: Kakera :metaknight:
2nd: 9B :popo:
3rd: Busa :snake:
4th: Ganbaranai (Hayase) :popo:
5th: Torin :metaknight:
5th: Edge :metaknight:
7th: Cross :sheik:
7th: Isotaka :dedede:
9th: Earth :pit:
9th: Masashi :pit:
13th: Aki :metaknight:

• [*]Kakera defeats 9B in 2 sets, last hit, last stock, last game, 2nd set gfs, reverse 3 stock comeback. Damn...
    [*] Hayase loses first tournament in a year and a half, going all Ice Climbers.
    [*] 9B drops many grabs
    [*] Busa (Snake) defeats Hayase (ICs) in losers semifinals 2-1.

[*] SLS was there but did not enter because he lost his controller

[*] Kakera's first tournament win in 2 years.

[*] Kakera before winning: "If I win I will be very motivated to go to Apex"
    [*] 9B lost to Kakera in winners finals 1-2, beat Kakera in 1st set of gfs 2-1, then lost the second set 1-2.

Allisbrawl results: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=143713

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Isotaku is a DDD player.
Masashi and Earth both got 9th.
Aki got 13th [he had an unlucky bracket - 9B in winners, Masashi in losers]

:059:

Luigi player

Smash Master

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Why did Masashi/Earth place 9th? Nvm, but I'm surprised Masashi lost to Cross when he normally beats him.

Djent

Smash Champion
It's interesting that 9B went years without losing to :metaknightbrawl: - then all of a sudden lost to several within 6 months. I'm not sure if it's the case that Japan's MKs have finally "learned the matchup," or if 9B himself is responsible for the decline.

Also, I'm pretty sure Hayase (as "Ganbaranai") got 13th at another tournament in early 2011 (so technically in the past two years :smirk:): check it out!

Keitaro

I think the 9B side of Japan is a tad overated. Maybe 2 years ago they were gods, but the Otori, Kakera, Rain side have improved so much within the last year that players like 9B, SLS, and Hayase simply aren't as strong as they should be. Especially since they don't travel to the other side of Japan for competition that much while Otori, Kakera, Brood, Rain have been going to America and improving a lot.

Thanks for the Ganbaranai heads up. I remember that tournament but thought it was a long time ago when it was only a year and a half ago. Still nearly 2 years but I shall fix it.

Kakera winning his first tournament in 2 years on this side of Japan when he can barely place top 5 in his own region says a lot imo. He did have to fight a lot of ICs though, which it is clear he is good against.

| Big D |

Smash Master
What's great about the cg 9B does is that it's tripless and mashless, problem was is that he kept dropping it.

In the last game he went back to basics and stopped dropping them, but unfortunately for him Kakera mashed out on his last stock because of it.

Oddly enough the first time I've seen 9B do tripless on MK was after he lost to Otori due to tripping.

Djent

Smash Champion
I think the 9B side of Japan is a tad overated. Maybe 2 years ago they were gods, but the Otori, Kakera, Rain side have improved so much within the last year that players like 9B, SLS, and Hayase simply aren't as strong as they should be. Especially since they don't travel to the other side of Japan for competition that much while Otori, Kakera, Brood, Rain have been going to America and improving a lot.

Thanks for the Ganbaranai heads up. I remember that tournament but thought it was a long time ago when it was only a year and a half ago. Still nearly 2 years but I shall fix it.

Kakera winning his first tournament in 2 years on this side of Japan when he can barely place top 5 in his own region says a lot imo. He did have to fight a lot of ICs though, which it is clear he is good against.
Hmmm ... yeah I hadn't really thought about the regional factors that could make players look better or worse. That's a really good point. I also think :icsbrawl: aren't the kind of character Hayase would do well with. You have to dedicate yourself to learning their shenanigans, so someone who's used to picking up new characters and automatically owning with them might get thrown off. As far as Kakera goes, he's been placing lower than Otori for a long time now. So while I'm surprised to see him win, it makes me happy that he's still got the fire to improve. :bee:

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Personally, I think the most interesting result of this tourney was a Sheik placing this high in a sea of mostly MK and ICs.

Vega4

Smash Ace
Wow, great for Kakera.

Put the videos here please, I think that everybody is going to ask for the vids.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Actually, Cross only had to play one MK [Kakera in winners] and then lost to busa in losers so no IC johns :bee:

:059:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
That was unespected, Kakera and 9B switching characters and Kakera wins the trade. Cool and for me unespected even though i know they both have played mk/ics for a long while now.

zmx

Smash Lord
Doesn't Hayase co-main Pikachu? Or am I thinking of someone else? I thought he was a guy who got first at a tourny at Japan going all Pikachu except MK for 9B.

It's weird, according to the results he must have lost to Busa, the Snake. But why didn't he just go Pikachu? That's like Snake's worst matchup.

Keitaro

Yeah Hayase switches mains every couple months. When I first heard of him he was a Falco main. Then he beat 9B as a Snake main. Then he was a Pika main but beat 9B again but as Metaknight. Now he is an IC main.

Expect him to pick up a new character within a couple months.

Top Bottom