• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Suck at this game, cant get better, fml

Forgeblazer

Smash Rookie
Im 14, and ive been playing smash all my life. started with melee, then brawl, then sm4sh, then got into melee again, and here i am, trying to merely have a fighting chance in ultimate, but failing miserably. Ive always had horrible mentality when playing games, and have bad confidence issues, so playing ultimate is a nightmare. I go online, 1 on 1, 2 stocks, 7 minutes preferred. First off, i have no idea who to main. Since the games launch ive told myself, "Maybe ill main pichu, maybe chrom, maybe Link, Marth, Falcon, Ganon, Falco, Lucina, Mario, Luigi, i feel like ive tried character after character but no matter what i cant do JACK. Im currently trying to play fox, and ive only played him for a bit today, and im already beyond done with this character, honestly at this point, THE GAME. I played about 25 or so games, loss. loss. loss. loss. Loss. Loss. Loss. LOSS. LOSS. LOSS. AGAIN AND AGAIN, OVER AND OVER. I am literally at 40k or so gsp, and i give up and SD every other game after i get the clear stock disadvantage, and i never improve. i have this problem with EVERY game, not just smash. After those games i nearly threw my controller and screamed, the rest of the day i talked to everyone with an annoyed attitude, was ticked off, and wanted to hurt everything i saw. I dont know why i cant stand any of these games. I never felt this way until i was about 10 some years old. Any game i play, smash, CS:GO, TF2, no matter what, i get motivated to play, play, fail, quit, hate my life, repeat. Its all that happens. Its STUPID. Any kind of help on why im so freaking braindead would be amazing.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Why do you feel the need to be good at competitive games at all? That by itself is something worth thinking about. There are other sources of self-worth out there than being the best at a video game, particularly if playing these games is causing you more unhappiness than joy. That is what games are meant to be, after all--an enjoyable leisure activity.

If you truly feel you can't be happy without that improvement, or maybe you're just frustrated at the repeated losses as anyone would be, here's my advice. A friend of mine has anger management issues, particularly with Smash Bros. He's working to improve that aspect of himself, but something we both understand is that once he starts getting angry, even a bit, his gameplay suffers. He stops thinking clearly and starts to act aggressively, which leads to losses and creates a cycle of more anger and losses. The best thing to do when this happens is to just stop playing. Learn to monitor yourself and try to catch when you're starting to feel this way, and forcibly cut yourself off before it gets too bad to manage. Remember that improvement just isn't going to happen when you're angry, and come back later.

When you're in a calm state of mind, improving is about knowing what you're doing wrong, and changing the habit. The most important thing here is this: it is never the game's fault. It is never lag's fault. It is never the controller's fault. It is always your fault, the player. Even if it's not true, tell yourself this. Telling yourself that your loss is the result of your actions is telling yourself that you have control over it, because your actions are what you can control and change. If an enemy gets a hit on you you weren't expecting, think about why it happened. Face bots so you can pause the game and think about it if you need to. Were you using the same move over and over (being predictable)? Were you trying to use an attack that left you open at a bad time (Falcon Punch)?

As for the character main issue... well, there's a thread for that. I encourage you to post there, talk about your playstyle a bit, and there would be plenty of people willing to lend advice. Is there a type of character you like to play in other games? What feels fun to you in a video game? That's a good place to start.

Forgeblazer

Smash Rookie
Why do you feel the need to be good at competitive games at all? That by itself is something worth thinking about. There are other sources of self-worth out there than being the best at a video game, particularly if playing these games is causing you more unhappiness than joy. That is what games are meant to be, after all--an enjoyable leisure activity.

If you truly feel you can't be happy without that improvement, or maybe you're just frustrated at the repeated losses as anyone would be, here's my advice. A friend of mine has anger management issues, particularly with Smash Bros. He's working to improve that aspect of himself, but something we both understand is that once he starts getting angry, even a bit, his gameplay suffers. He stops thinking clearly and starts to act aggressively, which leads to losses and creates a cycle of more anger and losses. The best thing to do when this happens is to just stop playing. Learn to monitor yourself and try to catch when you're starting to feel this way, and forcibly cut yourself off before it gets too bad to manage. Remember that improvement just isn't going to happen when you're angry, and come back later.

When you're in a calm state of mind, improving is about knowing what you're doing wrong, and changing the habit. The most important thing here is this: it is never the game's fault. It is never lag's fault. It is never the controller's fault. It is always your fault, the player. Even if it's not true, tell yourself this. Telling yourself that your loss is the result of your actions is telling yourself that you have control over it, because your actions are what you can control and change. If an enemy gets a hit on you you weren't expecting, think about why it happened. Face bots so you can pause the game and think about it if you need to. Were you using the same move over and over (being predictable)? Were you trying to use an attack that left you open at a bad time (Falcon Punch)?

As for the character main issue... well, there's a thread for that. I encourage you to post there, talk about your playstyle a bit, and there would be plenty of people willing to lend advice. Is there a type of character you like to play in other games? What feels fun to you in a video game? That's a good place to start.
Thanks for the advice, i made this post in a big rant of anger, if you couldnt tell, and while ive calmed down my opinions from it still take place. Ive considered your reply, and i agree that i really should start cutting myself off when tilted, as for the character thing, ill check out the thread for sure. Thanks man, have a great day.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You should just stop playing the game. You clearly have some mental or emotional issues that need to be resolved. Go outside. Spend time with people. See a therapist and attend anger management. Stop with this self-hatred. It only worsens your situation. And knock it off with the SDs. You can either continue this vicious cycle, or you can spend that energy by doing something about it.

I also empathize with you. 40k isn't much. GSP or ranking in general seems to take enjoyment out of this game. Sure, it's nice to know where you're at, but the constant reminder makes it more of a chore. It comes off as a demand to work. Aren't games supposed to be fun? For now, I'll recommend Smashcords (https://smashcords.com). Go there, sign up, and find people to play. Ask for advice. Hopefully you'll receive help.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
First off, you're still really young. Go 3 stock, 7 minutes. It's what most people go with. There is 70+ characters in this game, so it can be a bit much to figure out who to main, but surely there is a character that feels right to you. If you want to use a top tier character, go with Wolf, Pichu, Peach/Daisy, or whoever else currently falls into that category. I personally wouldn't use Pichu because he does self-inflicting damage. You sound like you're looking for an easy way to win, but things don't work like that. You're being very impatient, and rather than trying to enjoy the game, you're focusing way too much on winning and losing. Aside from that, you should seek therapy or anger management to try to resolve some issues that seem to be festering underneath, thus you're taking your anger out on people who don't need to hear it, and most likely won't want to be around you. Especially if you're hating your life over a bunch of losses, you really should seek some help.

Other than that, go into Training Mode, practice accuracy and movement with your character. That is whenever you find a character comfortable enough to use. If you're worried about winning, then you're not going to want to waste your time on mid to low tier characters. When you're fighting someone online, or however you play against people, look at what they're doing. People have patterns of how they play. It's easier said than done, but when you start to figure out how your opponent is playing, then you begin to adapt and take advantage of their flaws. Do they recover high or low? If high, use an anti-aerial attack. If low, maybe spike them with dair or use bair to stage spike them. Do they dodge or air dodge a lot? If they dodge on the ground, use a laggier attack, or delay a smash attack. If they air dodge a lot, watch which direction they mostly go and follow up with an attack. Stop focusing so much on your GSP. This point system is the ban of fun for most people it seems. Try to have fun with the game, win or lose. You should be focusing on how to deal with characters and less about winning. Try to win, yes, but don't make that the main goal here.

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Most of the responses above pretty much nailed the matter on the head. If you beat yourself up so much about winning and losing, you should be questioning if you should be even playing. Here we discuss smash brothers, but we talk about it because we have a passion for it. If you are so focused on winning and are frustrated while not enjoying the game, you shouldn’t play. You should play games (even just having hobbies) you are passionate about and love. From a passion, springs forth the willingness to put time in and learn while having fun.

So yeah my man, it really just sounds to me that you need to step back from playing and figure out what you want to do. Find something you love, and hang out with some people you care about.

Other than smash, I recently started taking Street fighter more seriously and began learning, but I didn’t start putting the time in because I wanted to win. I have a passion for the game, and I enjoy it.

I will say though that not having a main can be bothersome (but you shouldn’t be literally miserable because of it), though finding one is Possible. If this is the main problem and you do have a passion for the game, just make a list of fighters you like AS CHARACTERS. Some only like playing characters if they are top tier, but I find this just miserable to do (I will only play a fighter if I like their characteristics or I played their games growing up). Test out each character you have a liking to and choose one out of them which you feel best with and start putting time into them. Time is necessary.

Last edited:

Forgeblazer

Smash Rookie
Ty all for the advice, im going to try and come back to the game today, but this time with a better mentality, and a break or two, and if anyone wants to give advice on a main, i want to play a movement based glass cannon type character, so ive been interested in fox or some of the other spacies for a while. Ty all for the advice.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I’m gonna be frank, your attitude is awful. You need to try a character and stick to them for a week. You don’t learn a character in 25 matches. You’re not even giving yourself a chance to learn the game. Second of all have fun! Don’t try and be be hyper competitive, just have fun with the game. Your attitude is literally making you lose tho

Here’s a bit of advice for life in general. Please please please meditate. It will change your life for the better in ways I can’t even explain to you. It will help with any anger or self confidence issues tremendously

This isn’t a Smash issues this is a you issue. I’m trying to be honest to let you know that I feel like you may need help

Last edited:
Top Bottom