• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subway is getting sued apparently by Toho

smashman90

Smash Lord
Linktacular!: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601101&sid=aBMSBgfy.ZD8&refer=japan

I am kinda surprised that Toho actually did this considering that the monster doesn't completely look like Godzilla. There are some similarities between the two but nothing to get this serious about. I wouldn't be surprised if Toho actually wins this. Infact, I'll lmao if this happens. As for Subway, I think it was kinda stupid for them to try to do a rip off of Godzilla but I still like their sandwiches, though. And people wonder why Godzilla gets such a bad rep in America...

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... That is quite stupid. They don't look much alike. If subway got sued, shouldn't; pepto-bismol, power rangers, cloverfield and any other media that has a giant monster attacking a city.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
Oh and the Connect 4 people, they used a Godzilla-style monster in their ad too. Get 'em, Toho!

This lawsuit strikes me as frivolous/needless though, that 2 second footage of sorta-Godzilla in no way damages Toho, and I'm in no way more inclined to go to Subway because of his addition to the ad.
Copyright infringment is wrong and all that, but the giant monster attacking the city is so cliched by now. Such a fleeting reference shouldn't be punishable to the tune of $150,000.
And I don't even like Subway.:ohwell:

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Everybody and their dog uses japanese-style lizard monsters based in Asia-land. I'm sure at least half of them don't ask permission from Toho either. Godzilla is sort of a cultural acceptance, like Superman. I'm sure most people don't ask Jerry Siegel every single time if they can use characters similar to Superman in their commercials.

I didn't know Subway was the largest U.S. restaurant chain either. Go them, I guess...

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
Oh and the Connect 4 people, they used a Godzilla-style monster in their ad too. Get 'em, Toho!

This lawsuit strikes me as frivolous/needless though, that 2 second footage of sorta-Godzilla in no way damages Toho, and I'm in no way more inclined to go to Subway because of his addition to the ad.
Copyright infringment is wrong and all that, but the giant monster attacking the city is so cliched by now. Such a fleeting reference shouldn't be punishable to the tune of $150,000.
And I don't even like Subway.:ohwell:
Eriatarka, you took the words out of my mouth. I've seen the commercial, but haven't paid attention enough to look at the Godzilla rip off. The add does not have Godzilla standing there, saying "Eat this new subway 5$ sandwich, I think it's awesome!" All it does is show him holding his hands out like the other ten people who do it in the adverstisement.

There are too many ridiculous lawsuits filed today. People are suing each other left and right, and the majority of lawsuits are needless. This is one of those lawsuits.

smashman90

Smash Lord
Godzilla is sort of a cultural acceptance, like Superman.
Godzilla is a somewhat popular character like Superman, but Toho still owns the rights and likeness for Godzilla and Subway was practically using the design without paying Toho for likeness rights and such. And after seeing the commercial again, I noticed that the suit looks more like Godzilla than the last time I saw it. I kinda see why Toho did this, I mean, if you have a blatant rip off of something you own being used in a commercial without your permission wouldn't you sue somebody?

lordzedd

Smash Rookie
this is all really bizarre. i hope subway stays in business cuz im loving these 5 dollar footlongs

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
this is all really bizarre. i hope subway stays in business cuz im loving these 5 dollar footlongs
Hahaha, I think $150,000 isn't a huge deal to Subway.

NBC is currently being sued by Chuck Norris. The names "Law" and "Order" are apparently trademarked by the name of Chuck's left and right fists.
Oh you.

Subway should've made the monster a lot more different in order to avoid something like this happening. Oh well.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I love your signature, crosser43.

I don't see this lawsuit as frivolous at all. While I don't know the circumstances for other Godzilla imitations, I see the resemblance between the Subway monster and Godzilla. No matter what you guys say about needless money making, giant lizards attacking Japan are cliché because of the work that Toho did. Following that logic, Subway is benefiting from someone else's work without paying proper respect. Also, Toho is only suing for 150k, a number that pales in comparison to a lot of admittedly frivolous lawsuits.

If Subway would have made their giant enemy lizard an obvious parody, however, they would have had a nice case against Toho. Too bad they didn't put that much work into it.

Top Bottom