• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Style. Yes, but I must ask.

Another Player

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it all comes down to style and there's no way to determine what character is best. Also it comes down to luck of the button push or mispush by an opponent trying to ledgeguard. I hope this game isn't too button smashing but how great is a game like this really?

Uck

Smash Journeyman
This game is the greatest fighter.I will not elaborate because you havent done your homework at all.

Ill leave you with this thought. " Luck is the residue of design".The more skill you aquire the more you can manipulate this x factor.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
This game is imposible to buttonmash in. Unlike traditional fighters, you button mash, you will lose.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Attacks are mostly a Stick + A for a regular attack, and stick + B for a special. The C-Stick does a quick smash, which is equal to stick+A, hard, and gives added benefits. Traditional fighters use a series of buttons for a move. Since in Smash you only use the stick and a button, button mashing is stupid and not recommened,

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
You can buttonmash in every game, and in EVERY game you WILL lose against decent people who know how to play.
Unless it's made by Capcom :laugh:

Anyway, this is possibly the first fighting game of it's kind to actually incorporate physics, and it does it so well that you play by feel eventually. When you're good enough you can feel when you time something wrong or feel if your character takes to long to turn around or run. It is the perfect fighter.

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman

these two would like a word with you
QFT. These two games are like SSBM in the sense that you can't button mash and expect to get anywhere against even a decent player.

Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2 on the other hand... well, that's a lil too far off topic.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
if any of us played any fighting game as much as we play ssbm, we would also be saying that game is impossible to button mash in and win in. pretty much what brightside said.

say for example soul calibur, yeah in that game you can pretty much button mash and win, but only up to a certain point. that point being us, after that they will lose every time, if we played soul calibur as much as we do ssbm.

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
if any of us played any fighting game as much as we play ssbm, we would also be saying that game is impossible to button mash in and win in. pretty much what brightside said.

say for example soul calibur, yeah in that game you can pretty much button mash and win, but only up to a certain point. that point being us, after that they will lose every time, if we played soul calibur as much as we do ssbm.
Yeah, I guess you're right...

Edit: In fact, that should have been pretty obvious to me. Dunno why I didn't consider this after I read Brightside's post and your post.

Second Edit: It's more apparent in some fighting games than in others, I guess.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman

Melee in particular kills buttonsmashing. Button smashing in traditional fighting games can lead to combos, or spamming of quick attacks can pin your opponent under his block. Try these things in Melee, and you'll jump of the ledge to your death, crank out moves with massive recovery time and be spanked for your insolence, you'll get shieldgrabbed, the other guy will simply jump behind you, etc. etc.

Razed

Smash Ace
Melee in particular kills buttonsmashing. Button smashing in traditional fighting games can lead to combos, or spamming of quick attacks can pin your opponent under his block. Try these things in Melee, and you'll jump of the ledge to your death, crank out moves with massive recovery time and be spanked for your insolence, you'll get shieldgrabbed, the other guy will simply jump behind you, etc. etc.
QFT

In games like SC II however, you can randomly push buttons and pull a crazy combo out of your *** and win

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I just buttonmash the whole time, its the best way to win it catches everyone by surprise... heck half the time i don't even hold the controller the right way ;)

PetaNybble

Smash Cadet
I think the reason that you can't buttonmash in smash because it has a low combat AI. The computer knows very little about how to proceed.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
The awesome part about SSBM is that it's so complex. It's impossible to win by button mashing because not all of your moves are attacks, and you can commit suicide quite easily by hitting the wrong button combination in midair. You have to know what you're doing. This forces people to showcase their real video game skill instead of spamming or using some stupid combo that's an instant KO every time. There is only one instant KO move in the game(Roys full charge B-move unless u hit a wall or something) and only the stupidest computer in the universe would fall for it. It's just so radically different from other fighter games.

Give me one other fighter u know of that u cant win by button mashing or something, and ill already know that its a good game. SSBM is like that and better. SSBM is fun just to play against comps or something, and doesn't need a firstplayer mode. There are enough stages, enough items, enough characters with enough variety to make the games different every time u play them.

It requires skill, speed, brains, endurance, practice, and tons of other things that are only found in sports for crying out loud! And in a way, it is a sport since so many other people play it and compete for rights to call themselves the best. Watching Ken, u just know he didn't get that good overnight. He practiced, he must have done pretty well in school to keep thinking of ways to pawn everyone, and now he has a bunch of money from these tournaments as well as bragging rights.

Basically, calling SSBM shallow in an SSBM community is like putting a sandwich sign on yourself and saying "verbally abuse me, i don't like you!!!". So let me warn u NOT TO CALL IT A BUTTON MASHER!!! because you will cause certain people to get very angry at you.

If that wasn't enough passionate smash talk for you, i can type more on the subject. I should get debator rights one of these days... anyway, yeah. Work on your advanced techniques and then come and call SSBM a button masher. I dare u.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
Maybe it all comes down to style and there's no way to determine what character is best. Also it comes down to luck of the button push or mispush by an opponent trying to ledgeguard. I hope this game isn't too button smashing but how great is a game like this really?
maybe not :laugh:

theirs a bit more to it then missing buttons during ledgeguarding and button smashing.

this game is great in ways the best people havent even thought of yet.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
What's QFT mean? From the context I assume you're agreeing with me.

I just buttonmash the whole time, its the best way to win it catches everyone by surprise... heck half the time i don't even hold the controller the right way ;)
You've never played a good player, or you're confusing the term buttonmashing with spamming.

I think the reason that you can't buttonmash in smash because it has a low combat AI. The computer knows very little about how to proceed.
? Dude. Dude dude dude dude dude... You have NOT played Melee until you have played with people. Playing computers is purposeless. Judging by this post you DESPERATELY need to play competitively with some people. I pity you if you live in the middle of nowhere and you play by yourself or with your younger siblings who don't know what the L button does yet. Go to some tournaments. I have a feeling you have yet to discover the true beauty of this game.

The awesome part about SSBM is that it's so complex. It's impossible to win by button mashing because not all of your moves are attacks, and you can commit suicide quite easily by hitting the wrong button combination in midair. You have to know what you're doing. This forces people to showcase their real video game skill instead of spamming or using some stupid combo that's an instant KO every time. There is only one instant KO move in the game(Roys full charge B-move unless u hit a wall or something) and only the stupidest computer in the universe would fall for it. It's just so radically different from other fighter games.

Give me one other fighter u know of that u cant win by button mashing or something, and ill already know that its a good game. SSBM is like that and better. SSBM is fun just to play against comps or something, and doesn't need a firstplayer mode. There are enough stages, enough items, enough characters with enough variety to make the games different every time u play them.

It requires skill, speed, brains, endurance, practice, and tons of other things that are only found in sports for crying out loud! And in a way, it is a sport since so many other people play it and compete for rights to call themselves the best. Watching Ken, u just know he didn't get that good overnight. He practiced, he must have done pretty well in school to keep thinking of ways to pawn everyone, and now he has a bunch of money from these tournaments as well as bragging rights.

Basically, calling SSBM shallow in an SSBM community is like putting a sandwich sign on yourself and saying "verbally abuse me, i don't like you!!!". So let me warn u NOT TO CALL IT A BUTTON MASHER!!! because you will cause certain people to get very angry at you.

If that wasn't enough passionate smash talk for you, i can type more on the subject. I should get debator rights one of these days... anyway, yeah. Work on your advanced techniques and then come and call SSBM a button masher. I dare u.
Hooray for somebody who knows what he's talking about.

poopsmellslikecrap

Smash Cadet
Lol this guy sounds like my friends at school. thay always say smash is ******** because its a button masher. but its NOT. people have to decide on their own for this stuff, you cant convince some people about smash more than you can convince a brick wall.

Also, QFT means Quoted For Truth

crazymasterhand

Smash Rookie
QFT. These two games are like SSBM in the sense that you can't button mash and expect to get anywhere against even a decent player.

Marvel vs Capcom 1 and 2 on the other hand... well, that's a lil too far off topic.
There are so many braindead ways to **** mashers in Marvel. Megaman can just flood the screen with busters, Blackheart can just poke you to death with his tail, Strider can just activate orbs and teleport on top of you, Cable can just AHVB you, Storm can just typhoon xx hail, Sent can just fly over you and stomp you to oblivion, anyone can just let you run into Cyke/Psy/Commando/Ken AAA all day, etc.

DemonicShadows said:
Capcom games are t3h sw33t...especially Virtua Fighter.
Virtua Fighter's made by Sega, not Capcom.

Razgriz said:
Let's see you mash this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAAGklFUIHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnG-OBPYa2I&search=Daigo vs. John Choi

KevinM said:
I just buttonmash the whole time, its the best way to win it catches everyone by surprise... heck half the time i don't even hold the controller the right way
Wow you must fight *******.

Top Bottom