• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Link

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to EASILY win with Link

I’ve been here a lot, and I’ve been hearing that “link isn’t a very good character” Or “Toon Link is much better” I’ve been playing SSBB as Link for a long time and he does not suck. With him I can beat intense mode on classic, and on team battle I can beat 3 level 9’s when they’re all ganging up on me. It sounds like junk, but it’s true. First thing I want to clear up is that toon link in not better than link. You don’t have to believe me, but it’s the truth, and I can give solid facts.
1: One of the big reasons is the spin attack. Honestly. Links is WAY better. Both Link and TLink are in the lower tier of attack power. Links spin attack, when it connects, has the power of maybe a fully-charged side smash attack from mario(Who is really in the middle of attack power.) But with at least twice the range, it hits on both sides, and it doesn’t have to be charged. (If you charge it it’ll be even stronger) It may leave him vunerable, but even if the attack connects at the very end, Link will still have time to recover. If it misses, Link can usually survive whatever the opponent can counter with during that short time. Toon Link however, has shorter range, and it doesn’t send the opponent up, up, up. It’s weak, and it doesn’t inflict much more damage than Links. The only thing he has to help the situation is that his recovery time is shortened. But if the opponent is low in damage, they’re likely to be able to pull of an aerial counter attack even if it hits!
2: All of Links projectiles except the bomb have longer range than T Links, and all of Links Projectiles are more damaging.
3: Links Smash attacks have longer range
4: Links clawshot has longer range.
5: Links final smash has about twice toon links range
6: People say TLink has better recovery, but that’s not true. Has anybody ever thought about the fact that T Link is smaller than regular link? Link wouldn’t need to get as close to grab the ledge, so his recovery move seems less effective. I guess T Links would have the advantage if for some reason there wasn’t a ledge to grab onto, but otherwise those are the same.
That’s it for the Link/ Tlink thing. But one thing I wanna highlight is that people say link has a terrible close range game. Not true. Just jump a lot and don’t shield to much and act smart and Link works excellently. I can do all the things I mentioned above with Link and I don’t run away the whole battle. Sometimes I abuse projectiles at a distance (who wouldn’t) But for the most part I run into the fray and and pound my opponents. Link has excellent smash attacks. His down and upward smash attacks can suck an opponent in and send them up, so you can continue to attack. His side smash attack is an excellent double hit. If the opponent shields the first hit and keeps the shield up expecting the 2nd, you can surprise him/her with a grab, etc. You have to be very smart and imaginative to play with link. If an opponent is dropping down, come under them and use your upward smash attack. It can beat out most aerial attacks and will send them back up. his jump down b is also excellent. A nice combo… at close range use the gale boomerang or a bomb to stun the opponent. Then grab him and do your down throw. Id the opponent is at very low damage, use a downward smash attack. If not, skip this step. Then use your upward smash attack to send them into the air. Then use the “air guarding tactics I mentioned earlier, and occasionally add a bomb or jump up b to the mix to inflict massive amounts of damage. It’s not very effective in a free for all, but on a one-on –one, it is excellent.

That’s it. If you have questions, comments or disagreements, please reply.

Smash Apprentice
Link's side smash isn't all that great; often I find that the first hit knocks me away from the second hit if I DI right. Toon link also has a far better recovery. His up-b takes you much further, his second jump is higher, and he's more floaty, so he can DI more. Toon Link's bair is one of the best in the game, and RARing that means that it's pretty good. Link's spin attack can also be easily countered (any dair) and because cpu's do not do this is one of the many reasons why they aren't that great.

btw, beating level 9's is great, but because they are AI, not human, they can't compare.

Tubs_linkstar

Smash Rookie
i main link .. and yeah i agree that hes incredibly underrated and hes a much deeper character than people think .. but i do disagree about him being better than Tlink. Tlink actually has real combos whereas link has only low percentage combos or "consecutive hits". im perosnally alot better with link than Tlink but i dont agree that hes better. you also forgot to mention his upgraded Dair. although it cant be L-canceled you can slow fall and fast fall it to make it more effective. the only risk you run from dair-ing off the edge and missing and get edge hogged. Dair takes priority over many attacks and is by far links best finisher. his recovery got crippled when directional air dodging was taken out. spin has barely any horizontal recovery and is easily edge hogged. link is a heavy character so at least he can live through high percentages. lets see ... for spacing and approaching you have an assortment of great projectiles and Zair. im sure i left some details out but link is a much fiercer opponent than people claim. lack of combos = more knockout moves

I never said I can only beat CPU's. I can beat every person I know at smash.
And I'm not saying that I know more than link than any of you, but
everything i'm saying is from experience.

i main link .. and yeah i agree that hes incredibly underrated and hes a much deeper character than people think .. but i do disagree about him being better than Tlink. Tlink actually has real combos whereas link has only low percentage combos or "consecutive hits". im perosnally alot better with link than Tlink but i dont agree that hes better. you also forgot to mention his upgraded Dair. although it cant be L-canceled you can slow fall and fast fall it to make it more effective. the only risk you run from dair-ing off the edge and missing and get edge hogged. Dair takes priority over many attacks and is by far links best finisher. his recovery got crippled when directional air dodging was taken out. spin has barely any horizontal recovery and is easily edge hogged. link is a heavy character so at least he can live through high percentages. lets see ... for spacing and approaching you have an assortment of great projectiles and Zair. im sure i left some details out but link is a much fiercer opponent than people claim. lack of combos = more knockout moves
Thanks for the reply. You're right, I did leave out some weaknesses. But I main Link and I honestly do belive that he is better.

Link's side smash isn't all that great; often I find that the first hit knocks me away from the second hit if I DI right. Toon link also has a far better recovery. His up-b takes you much further, his second jump is higher, and he's more floaty, so he can DI more. Toon Link's bair is one of the best in the game, and RARing that means that it's pretty good. Link's spin attack can also be easily countered (any dair) and because cpu's do not do this is one of the many reasons why they aren't that great.

btw, beating level 9's is great, but because they are AI, not human, they can't compare.
I never said I can only beat CPU's. I can beat every person I know at smash.

f0r3man

Smash Rookie
wait, if you are boasting about Link so much, why is Bowser your char of choice?

FrostByte

Smash Lord
6: People say TLink has better recovery, but that’s not true. Has anybody ever thought about the fact that T Link is smaller than regular link? Link wouldn’t need to get as close to grab the ledge, so his recovery move seems less effective. I guess T Links would have the advantage if for some reason there wasn’t a ledge to grab onto, but otherwise those are the same.

That’s it. If you have questions, comments or disagreements, please reply.
Tl's 2nd jump>Link's whole recovery.

You also keep talking about smash attacks and posting an unnecessary amount of times in a row, almost saying the same thing.

Sans Glutin

Smash Ace
Tlink is better than Link. Your "opinion" is wrong.

But one thing I wanna highlight is that people say link has a terrible close range game. Not true. Just jump a lot and don’t shield to much and act smart and Link works excellently.
I lol'ed and again at the thing about Link having a better recovery than Tlink because Link is slightly bigger.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I know how to easily win with link..

play zelda games. He's the only one you can with with.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
I believe when it comes down to it, that it all depends on personal preferences

Azgner

Smash Apprentice
I know how to easily win with link..

play zelda games. He's the only one you can with with.
*Points up*
Win.

And hey, I'm not a toon link lover or anything, but he is indeed better than link. I still prefer good ol' link though, not going to play a character just because he is better, but because i like him. And you could have said that link is more heavy, so he wont go so far when knocked out and is not so easily star Ko'ed. but comparing sizes? The diference at the distance which one of them grabs the ledge is minimal.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Toon Link is superior to Link, TL is the better version of Link because A) his spike combo's from Bair B) more agile (but loses some strength, which is way worth it) and C) ridiculous recovery D) can KO at zero % with down smash E) has a nice balance between damaging strikes and knock back strikes

BBQ°

Smash Champion
If you mained Link in Melee you know how much of a fail Link is in Brawl.

In Melee, Link's 4 best moves were:
-Up-B spin attack -> it was a semi-spike, really good for edgeguarding and getting a KO, and could be attacked out of a shield
-Down-Aerial -> since you could L-cancel, the move was exponentially better
-Directional Air Dodge then tether recover -> This gave Link the extra inch to get back to the stage, not to mention it could be hooked to walls, not just edges.
-Bomb recovery -> while recovering, through a bomb in the air and immediately up-b into it. You will be able to use your up-b move again, which made Link's recovery awesome! It was really hard to get the timing though.

In brawl..Link can't do any of this! Link's forward smash might be good, but you can't depend on one move to win the game.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
ok, we can just list reasons why toon link is better: speed, combo ability, range of attacks in relation to body size, being short (being short is AMAZINGLY helpful)

the problem with listing things is that we only talk about quantity and not quality.

link can be listed as superior in many categories but all it takes is that ONE category that toon link is GODLY in. That will tip the scale in his favor.

and YES toon link DOES have better recovery, your argument there seemed flawed. Take them both into practice mode and check it out. Check out height as well as horizontal. The key thing being toon link's horizontal movement in the air is just superior.

i'm just sick of people comparing them. Forget it. I just see it as link versus 34 smash brothers.

PS. toon link's bombs can't be thrown as far. but the smoke created is a nice hiding spot.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
lol ive never checked the link board and today this thread caught my eyes also made my day.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
I've seen a decent Link at the last tournament I went to, he lost before I got to fight him, would've preferred him over the camping Lucario. But yeah I can see how Link can be good but I remember fighting hella hard Links in Melee and the fear and danger just aren't there any more.

But yeah, they can be good just never played one with a decent game, yet.

ginobeeto

Smash Cadet
Toon Link is a much better character than Link. TLink has much higher priority, a lot faster, much higher attack speed, better recovery, and awesome aerials. The only major thing Link has over TLink is weight.

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
TLink's recovery IS better. TL just uses an up-B from just out of "magnifying glass" range on the bottom of FD. Link can't do that.
It's the default character avatar for peoples mains. Meaning he has to go change it any minute now.
Aaaaaaaany minute now.

Edit: THIS DOESN'T MAKE IT EASY TO WIN WITH LINK! Geez.

Ark098

Smash Cadet
i dont tend to have a hard time beating toon link with link purely cos of range and perhaps some predictable opponents, but TL is definitely better against most of the rest of the cast.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Common sense should tell you not to post here. It really doesn't help the room when legitimate threads sink to the bottom but the trash keeps getting bumped to the top. I'm just letting you guys know that I'm warning all of you for replaying to spam. So I don't want anyone crying about me picking on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom