• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuck on a few things with Diddy..

Seppoku

Smash Cadet
Usually I do quite well with Diddy, however there are a few times a match I will find myself stuck...Through observation I've determined the 2 places I begin to get hurt, and then lose whatever momentum I have going...

The first is my OVERUSE of the C-stick... the c-stick on my controller is never as reliable as the A-button for glide tossing and even tho it would appear I am very clearly hitting one way, the banana will go the other. I think in part this is because I might start in one direction and change my mind afterwards...i dunno... but I do know that apart from dribbling, relying on my C-stick too much gets me in trouble...

The second part I get stuck is on the side of the ledge... if i am on the side of the ledge, I know I have several options...
One, I can fall down, jump up and pop a peanut round before grabbing back onto the ledge for some easy damage (this is a risky move most of the time and I deem it unnecessary against most opponents with a potential downsmash or any disconnected hitboxes)

two, I can short hot onto the stage or double short hop air dodge onto the stage... (while This seems to be the most favorable...when playing characters with a huge arial range and priority, this one gets me in the most trouble... i play a lot of robs)

three, I can attempt to hit an A or b attack while climbing back onto the ledge... or shield (I group all 3 of these together since this seems like the most horrible of options.. I almost never have the full immunity it seems like I would deserve when trying to roll back onto the stage)

four, this one is conditional, I could fall and short hop with a banana throw, after come back with a forward air or grab if appropriate... (this one works the best it would seem for me, however the times when I have a banana at this point are usually quite limited ... have to make the opportunity happen.)

five, I can fall down and try a up air... this one seems to work if someone is trying to smash you upon your recover... (also risky for my taste, and generally save unless I am very up on lives or very down on lives...)

six, fall...short hop and come over with a side b attack.. (this is the one I use most frequently and gets me into trouble as it becomes too predictable...)

seven, drop and ledge hop backwards to pull out a banana.. (conditional for stages, also leaves you quite vulnerable and more often then not just gives them a free banana)

anyways, even with all these options... I am still so **** vulnerable while recovering from that ledge... It seems that most of the time, If i could just make it back down to the stage... start my setup, I would be fine... but the momentum of my game almost immediately changes... Am i psyching myself out? How do i get back on my roll? These are questions I need answering..

DUB

Smash Lord
There is always a chance your going to get hit when you get up from a ledge. You only have so many options and a lucky guess will get you hit and send you right back on it or dead.

I know what you mean about invincibility running out. Occasionally I'll be getting up from a ledge thinking I'm invincible and just eat a smash. Dont just linger on the edge and then get up, use your Up+B to re-snap and pick up some frames. Diddy's got a lot of options and you pretty much stuck them all. Really, just keep your options fresh. Getting back on the stage is primarily staying unpredictable. It happens to everyone man, just keep working on it.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Never uair from the ledge. Ever, ever. you will get shieldgrabbed, always fair because you can space from a shield and you won't be vunerable afterwards and you can go back onto the ledge if you want to.

Player-1

Smash Legend
Never uair from the ledge. Ever, ever. you will get shieldgrabbed, always fair because you can space from a shield and you won't be vunerable afterwards and you can go back onto the ledge if you want to.
If your opponent is...like right up on the ledge, at the very tip, I think you should Uair, you can't space the fair unless you drop down and away from the ledge which I think might be too dangerous after the cooldown from the fair. If your opponent is right at tip of the ledge I think you should Uair because you can drop down a little and midair jump to a Uair and Up-B back.

ADHD

Smash Hero
If your opponent is...like right up on the ledge, at the very tip, I think you should Uair, you can't space the fair unless you drop down and away from the ledge which I think might be too dangerous after the cooldown from the fair. If your opponent is right at tip of the ledge I think you should Uair because you can drop down a little and midair jump to a Uair and Up-B back.
In that case yeah, but fair is just generally easier to space and has better range in using it from a ledge.

Top Bottom