• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Stubby Arms and Fireballs: The Comprehensive Mario Guide

GeZ

Smash Lord
Nah, your posts are fine. I think the moves and their uses are largely self explanatory by what they do. Explaining the parts of your game they should fit into is just limiting what you make of those tools. Explore. Use moves you usually wouldn't just to see what it accomplishes where.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
It's so strange to see such a comprehensive Mario guide like this. All this. He's such a great character all around, and pretty much ALL of his moves are really good and extremely useful, and yet, most Mario's you'll see will just polarize around the Fireballs and DSmash.

It was great to see some vids here of Mario's using his in his entirety. Honestly I don't see that much.

GeZ

Smash Lord
One of the biggest things holding Mario back is his player base's reliance on using his toolset in a really standard way. Mario has all the means to branch out, people just need the mindset to grow outwards in style. Even from a solely technical standpoint Mario is really underexplored. No one uses capegliding to move around the stage or go for really far edgeguards (like a third of FD distance away from stage) players don't touch B reverseing/ wavebouncing/ etc and I have no idea why.

Luckily, Mario players will be forced to play him as the cerebral character he should be with the recovery nerfs. Nerfing fireballs damage and properties in some way to make them more manageable would be icing on the cake.

And I'm actually looking forward to nerfs. What the hell is my life.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
Man this guide has been really helpful to me, just went to my first tourney on Wednesday and barely lost my sets. Gonna try to implement more grabs and see how that works out for me

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
One of the biggest things holding Mario back is his player base's reliance on using his toolset in a really standard way. Mario has all the means to branch out, people just need the mindset to grow outwards in style. Even from a solely technical standpoint Mario is really underexplored. No one uses capegliding to move around the stage or go for really far edgeguards (like a third of FD distance away from stage) players don't touch B reverseing/ wavebouncing/ etc and I have no idea why.

Luckily, Mario players will be forced to play him as the cerebral character he should be with the recovery nerfs. Nerfing fireballs damage and properties in some way to make them more manageable would be icing on the cake.

And I'm actually looking forward to nerfs. What the hell is my life.
So basically we need KoreanDJ Marios and not Gallo Marios. Honestly if you want people to branch out of spamming down smash and fire balls, you should have a moveset section because even if its obvious, they can keep it in mind during battle and use their moves in more situations. I personally am more like KDJ or Mango; I try something crazy, something new and it works because it surprises people. That's the reason why I love Sheik, MK and Mario; they are so versatile in many ways. I play smash for fun. I'm no M2K, but I don't want to be the best(at least in smash).

GeZ

Smash Lord
I've actually critiqued Gallo on some matches. I think he's a really good Mario player with some reliance on bad habits, but he has all the room to improve and a good enough technical basis to do so quickly. I think a move breakdown would be extraneous, and I'm going to stand by that, but if you really want what I think about it, send me a message and I'll totally reply with my thoughts on everything. Or even necro the thread "the uses of Mario" as that's what it was supposed to be about to begin with. I'm just not looking to add a section like that into the guide.

Also if any of you guys are looking to check out a player for P:M Mario I'd recommend Mr. M.

When I was first getting into P:M and competitive smash as a whole I found a vid of him playing an online tourney against Zhime, and that set me in motion towards doing what I've done for this plumber.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I be on dem b reversals, RAR and few other brawl tech!

GeZ

Smash Lord
Something I figured out which is kinda silly is that you can run off the ledge > Wave Bounce Cape > WL back onto ledge.

It's just neat to switch positions with your opponent if they're chasing you towards the ledge. Wavebouncing fireball is hard though. Just starting to get that down.

Jonyc128

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jonnyc64
One question I have is how do Mario players Up B Wall jump and use a reverse fireball on stage. I can never get the timing right for the reverse fireball and carrying my momentum back on stage

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Do up b wall jump
And then time a b reverse fireball
Make sure you can do them b reverses confidently

GeZ

Smash Lord
WHY DID YOU HAVE TO WRITE SO MANY WORDS
Honestly Smash is very easily learned by just playing the **** out of it. Like, in other fighters, I'd recommend research and council much more, but here, the interactions are self explanatory enough that it can be learned through tons of serious matches, which is recommended for improvement anyway. This guide is more of a formative mentality guide than a "this is what to do when" guide, though there are aspects of that in the later sections that I actually wrote.

Keman

Smash Apprentice
One question I have is how do Mario players Up B Wall jump and use a reverse fireball on stage. I can never get the timing right for the reverse fireball and carrying my momentum back on stage
Like nameless said you have to B-Reverse a fireball right after you wall jump. just to add, the inputs would be like this.

Pressing in towards the stage to be against it, next press away from it to wall jump, then right as soon as you wall jump let the stick go back to center so when you press B you throw a fireball and 1-3 frames (which is almost instantly) after pressing B you press back towards the stage to B-Reverse the fireball.

Edit: ok I have to admit these PM boards have thrown me for a loop at times with the activity or lack there of >< posts never seem like they should be as old as they are to me sometimes

Last edited:

Shenmue

Smash Rookie
Very grateful for this guide because I found some of the things to only help me incorporate my fireball game more wisely. I'm looking to expand my OoS game with Mario since it will provide more counter/defensive options. Guide was solid and I took in some useful information to better myself. Wavelanding more is def something I have to work on consistently.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Getting back into P:M after a long haitus. Began my night of friendlies getting booty blasted, and ended not dropping sets to anyone but a Melee Vet Marth main. Good Squirtles are freaking scary dude. I'll probably update and add more sections to this thing on my thoughts on how 3.5 has effected fireballs and general mentality, if I end up being not lazy.

GeZ

Smash Lord
Added a section via "edit" to the WD OoS part, just talking about some general mentality stuff. Still, I think it's handy to keep in mind, so check it out.

Top Bottom