• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling to find a good use for B move.

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
The move where I slap people in the face with flying sausages. Forgot it's name.

I'm in love with GAME AND WATCH, I have used him a lot recently killing with gimps, up smashes and side tilt. Bucketing PK FIRE and ARK FIRE. Making people angry with random 9's.
But one move I neglected is B move. When or why should I use this?
I have tried gimping, but it's to slow, I tried zoning, it is to slow, tried eating it, it's inedible. Any help?

Thanks.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It's a decent zoning move that was buffed in this game.

Do not over commit in your use of it, most of the time throwing out 2-3 is sufficient for zoning. It's very effective against bigger characters, as their larger frame makes it difficult to get past and it's hard to powershield because it's multiple randomly generated slow moving hitboxes

The golden moment is when you have an opponent (particularly a big one) who has exhausted all of their jumps. It becomes amazing because they can no longer jump out of it and airdodging into the ground causes them to lag so if you have someone and you notice they have used their jump and they are trying to land cover their landing (Make sure they arent high enough to land anywhere to harm you though) and it should score you a decent amount of damage.

Also throwing a few offstage while edgeguarding sometimes does stuff, just make sure you have completed using bacon before you try to up-b or you will continue to flip bacon and plummet to your doom

TheMiSP

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
MISP#673
NNID
Collin9476
3DS FC
1564-3898-1072
Switch FC
SW-1536-5988-9478
Sorry to come off as super general, non-detailed, and plain.

But it actually has its uses at the right time.

Examples? This one is probably one SFA mentioned. Pretty sure that the food shoots out at an a nearly certain set angle at the beginning of the animation. You could trap someone diagonally above you and have them get hit by all 5 pieces, resulting in a 20% damage rack-up.

Could be like me. At the right height (for them), hit them with a piece or two, trap 'em in some hitstun, and follow up with usmash.

Last but not least you could use them for some potential chaingrabs from dthrow at certain low-mid %'s. They get hit, jab once and grab again. They air dodge, just grab. It's not guaranteed, however, because they can simply jump out.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Additional note: hitting people with the pan offstage (not the food) is a great way to gimp them. It sends them forward and a bit down which can be brutal on a lot of recoveries. FAir is usually better/easier but this gives you style points.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
It's good against midrange characters, like Marth and Lucina. At the perfect moments and/or your opponent is not very good, you can hit them with the projectiles, they roll towards you, and promptly get a frying pan in the face.

It's a viable edge-guarding tool, especially against characters with predictable recoveries. If you're precise enough, it's a good alternative to a bair/fair, though beware of the ending lag.

It's also decent for shooing off any edge-guarders, both with the projectiles and the pan itself.

FrameImperfect

Smash Cadet
NNID
3x3=?
3DS FC
0044-2904-0617
The frying pan by itself is an amazingly good attack with huge priority, but the problem is the hitbox is small.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
It's a move you should not be using unless you have the short-order custom and have some degree of certainty that your opponent is not approaching. Move forward, jump backward, and use it at the apex of your jump to force some degree of distance closure without exposing yourself to punish attempts.

Almost every other situation in which you use this move sets you up for punishes and forces you to miss opportunities to apply the kind of CQC pressure and competent edgeguarding that defines this character.

Last edited:

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
My Chrome add ons made it impossible for me to see the ad thank you. That's something I need to consider for the future.

In the future I recommend using gfycat to upload short clips, the site just posted which I deleted the links to is a definite no-no due to the ads there.

Last edited:

tol

Smash Rookie
Good against floaty, large characters. I also like to use it as an aerial and generally be ballsy with it. Great for edgeguarding,
projectile protection (eg. dededes spike ball), and overall spacing. But as with any move, it's really good when it comes
unexpected (and most people won't think a G&W will be aggressive with it).

ChromaKey

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0619-3648-0598
Apart from the zoning and edge-guarding uses mentioned above, I've found that jumping up and back while flinging sausage on characters that are recovering high, trying to send hits into their falling angle, can force your opponent to either fall back to ledge, get in range of your nair, or just force them to recover how you want them to while potentially netting some free hits.

Raithen

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0731-5248-2222
Edge guard game is godly. Dash the edge so you're right on it, shield, roll back from the edge twice, spam B like no tomorrow. Sometimes they just lose their second jump and die, sometimes they roll on stage perfectly to be hit by pan, and if they jump over you have enough time to move away.

Vs kirby, puff, use it when they predictably try to come in on that 45 degree deadzone angle.
Vs Dedede spam it for gordos

Use it as a set up for a sausage dash.

Double jump and B spam on your way down to make a wall of projectiles.

But seriously, do my first point at the top and be amazed at the gimp. Unless they recover onto the stage where you punish with what ever you want, they are screwed.

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
I mainly use chef (neutral-B) for edge guarding which is really good but I also use it if the enemy is trying to edge guard me. Tossing those out during an edge guard can really help you out of a jam and can be used as a mix-up when recovering back. Also while I am on the stage using chef I just use it one at a time (So one piece of food is out on screen). This helps in creating follow ups and combos if the enemy gets hit by the single piece of food.

GMan1255

Smash Cadet
Anything I could have possibly added to this has been covered. Good job G&W faithful! (is it me, or have people been more active today here on the G&W section?)

Lunix7

Smash Apprentice
Anything I could have possibly added to this has been covered. Good job G&W faithful! (is it me, or have people been more active today here on the G&W section?)
I have recently came back to the game and watch boards after I discovered how fun G&W. I originally was upset on how G&W was handled in this game and recently gave him a second try and everything just "clicked" so to speak...and now I'm here loyal to the end. :4gaw:

DeathandGrim

Smash Rookie
Using it to confirm smashes while your opponent recovers from air. Tossing out just one or two most of the time does a good arc and can set you up for a free smash or other move. Don't get too happy with it though.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
It kills. Edge guarding gimp game godly.

Like previous people have said, it is an incredible edge guarding tool that is low risk in comparison to going off stage.

I just spent a good hour on For Glory gimping characters with it. If they jump up from the ledge, they jump straight into the arc of the food. If they roll they get hit with the pan. You can easily rack up so much damage, people really don't know how to deal with it. Free damage. It's incredible how many kills I got off of it. I actually got booted from the server for getting a Shulk up to 200% using neutral B as a edge guard. Must be considered spamming I guess.

Works on a wide variety of characters too. From DK to Mac to Marth to Shulk, Mario and Fox too, all easily gimped.

You can also go off stage with it and gimp with the pan like others have said.

Quick example of edge guarding from my For Glory session today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fIi6gjUTvs :

Last edited:

crysisnova

Smash Rookie
it cancels animation frames, like cancel moves like Bowser's command grab when it hits him... can also limit space the opponent can travel and create psychological pressure

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Went through this thread, saw some good stuff, but it's missing the method/reason I use Chef: It's a crazy good mixup in the middle of aerial strings.

If your opponent is in the air, ideally diagonally away from you, try jumping at your enemy like you're going to fair/bair them, then wavebounce/ b-reverse Chef.

If they airdodge, you have less lag then if you missed an aerial, and you're at a perfect distance if you both land to punish your opponent's landing lag with dash attack.

If they fly away with jump/ upB, hey, positional advantage. Juggle em.

Most importantly if they try to challenge you (goes double for chars with awesome nairs[:4ness:] or good aerials in general[:4jigglypuff:]) You not only put some distance between you and your opponent's attack so you won't get hit and throw a projectile their way, Chef's decently ranged pan can hit them if spaced perfectly, usually knocking them offstage at a bad angle.

It's kind of like ZSS's wavebounce/B-reverse tricks

It has worked a million times for me :bee: (especially on:4falcon:, he seems to have the PERFECT aerial movement and size for this trick)

Last edited:

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Also, I have a HILARIOUS Replay of me on FG against a (not good)Bowser Jr. and Chef just putting in soooo much work.
It stuffed his Kart dash multiple times, slowed down his projectiles, but most importantly was responsible for both my kills.
Spoiler Alert(just in case I ever upload it)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
The first kill was a piece of food catching him immediately after ejecting out of his kart so that he just fell to his death. The second was Chef comboing into a 9

Zerocakes

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZeroBox
3DS FC
1607-2766-5470
A well timed Neutral B offstage can mess up characters with poor recovery as it sends them away horizontally if hit by the pan. It's hard to get but it's a brilliant gimp tool!
I also like to throw out B after i've hit my opponent in the air so they have a hard time landing because there's dinner flying everywhere. :D

Top Bottom