• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

String Theory

Zealot2120

Smash Lord
Here is an article I wrote for my school newspaper about String Theory, a quantum physics conecpt. I tried as hard as I could to make it conprehensible for the average person, but some science background is definately needed.

The universe is perhaps much stranger than we perceive it. Since the days of Einstein, physicists have been painting more abstract and nonintuitive pictures of our universe. One major brush stroke that has been used in this painting is string theory, otherwise known as the “theory of everything”.

Right now your idea of an electron is probably a little dot that circles around a nuclear in an atom, like it is found in chemistry text books. String theory says that if you were to look at an electron with a futuristic super microscope, you would not see a single point, but a string. The strings are so small, 10^-33 cm, (known as the Planck length, the smallest length possible physically possible), that they look and act as single points. The mathematics behind this theory is so beautiful that many physicists say if it proves to be wrong, then God made a big mistake when he created the universe.

Electrons are not the only particles that are actually strings; the theory goes on to say that all atomic particles are actually strings. There are many known particles today, including what are known as neutrinos, quarks, photons and gluons. All of these particles are made of strings, despite the fact there is only one type of string.

In order to understand this, I’ll draw the common analogy of music. Imagine these strings are like violin strings. When you pluck the violin string, it vibrates at a certain frequency to create the note A. Plucking it again can create a different frequency, perhaps a B. In the same way, plucking a string would cause it to vibrate at a certain frequency to make a quark, and another frequency would make a photon.

What string theory does is to combines the two main theories used in describing the universe: Einstein’s General Relativity and quantum theory. There have been many other attempts to create a unified theory, but they failed. With most single point particle theories, one problem that arises is infinite gravity. Infinities in science are huge signs screaming “something is wrong!”. String theory eliminates these infinites.

The String theory equation describes the microscopic world perfectly, but only under one condition: you make absolutely no changes to the equation. Even the slightest change ruins the beauty of the theory. This presents a problem because string theory only works in ten dimensions, and we can only observe three: length, width, and height. Is it possible that we live in universe with ten dimensions? Physicists have an explanation.

Think of a plastic straw. If you were to cut it along the length, it has two dimensions: length and width. However, a straw curves into itself to make a tube, and if you looked at it from a far enough distance, you would see the straw as only having length. By curling up an object and looking at it from a far enough distance, one of it’s dimensions are eliminated. Physicists say, therefore, the reason we cannot see seven of the ten dimensions is because they curved upon themselves and were crunched to such a small size that we only perceive the three.

To truly understand the consequence of such a reality, think about pac-man. Pac-man lives in a two-dimensional world where he can only travel through length and width. He is being chased by a red monster by the name of Blinky. Just before Blinky manages to go in for the kill, Pac-man grabs a giant dot, becomes stronger and eats Blinky. Blinky turns into a pair of eyes and travels into the centre, where he becomes trapped in the “cage”, which is really just a square. However, Blinky is a physicist monster, and manages to get into the third dimension. Just as we can walk over a line drawn on the ground, Blinky can now hover over all the lines on the screen. The entire maze that keeps all the monsters contained can no longer hold Blinky. He can go wherever he pleases. Also, Pac-man and all the other monsters can no longer see Blinky, as they are unable to look up that single millimetre. They can’t even comprehend the idea of looking up. To them, Blinky is invisible.

If a human were somehow to gain access to the fourth dimension, just like Blinky to the third, they too would become invisible, and no jail cell in the world could hold them; they could easily walk through walls.

It is amazing to think of the universe we live in to consist of ten dimensions, and yet it is part of mainstream physics. It is uncommon to find a physicist today who does not believe that the answer to the universe, and the path to the Ultimate Theory of Everything is not found in string theory.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I've been very interested in quantum mechanics lately. It's hard for me to follow because of all the science and mathematic jargon. but i've been awed every time i read about it.

technomancer

Smash Champion
I'm interested in knowing exactly how we can build up from string theory into the world as we percieve it.

And how we can walk through walls.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Your essay is surprisingly well written. You do a good job of stringing (haha) together the popular metaphors for String Theory.

It's not entirely correct, but then, it's not meant to be. But for instance, just because an object is 4-d doesn't mean it's invisible. If a sphere passes through a 2-d plane, "inhabitants" of that plane would see a 2-d circle get steadily larger, then smaller, until it disappears. Likewise, we can intuit that a 4-d sphere (hypersphere) passing through 3-d space would act similarly, appearing to us as a sphere that gets larger and then smaller.

The implications of other dimensions are fascinating, and don't all have to do with String Theory. Some scientists say that the existance of other spatial dimensions would explain why Gravity is such a weak force, comparative to the other 3 forces. Gravity is simply stronger *somewhere else*. this idea has been proven possible mathematically, but then again, so has time travel in alternate universes.

Also, if your essay is to be truly instructive, then you need to bring up some of the arguments against string theory. Mainly, that it might not exist at all, that the proof exists only in mathematics. In some ways, trying to prove string theory by forcing it to fit the mathematic elegance is scientific bootstrapping.

And, there are those that think string theory is the bane of modern science. You can't get funding for anything BUT string theory for the past 30 years, and very little applicable science has come out of it.

I recommend this article:
http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=wq.essay&essay_id=204018

Edit - More articles:
http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2006/12/wacky_physics_it_must_be_right_1.php
http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2006/12/string_theory_is_a_bunch_of_cr.php
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1890340,00.html

Zealot2120

Smash Lord
Haha, i know of all that (the gravity weakening thing refers to a brane floating in another). And your other point is true, but not for the pac man example. If a 2d character managed to get into the 3rd dimension while keeping his 2d structure, then he would be invisible.

And answering the other question above, in the same way, if you can remain 3d but acess teh 4th dimension, you would be able to go through walls and be invisible.

I would have loved to bring up opposing views, and many more concepts, but I had a 750 word limit, and this is already 800 words.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Oh, another reading list for others interested:

Flatland
Godel, Escher, Bach
And any book by Brian Greene, the leading string-theory-for-pop-culture writer

And your article seems much more about the possibility of other dimensions than string theory. String theory isn't necessary for them to be possible. The math is elegant, but that's about it.

I did find a wonderful article on the Theory of Strings, though. It talked about some kick *** violins.

I'm still struggling with your metaphors. "Going through walls" is a bit misleading. Being in the 4th dimension doesn't change your mass (or the wall's mass). You're going *around* the walls, which to us appears as going through them.

Theoretical math is fun, though. I hope to buy a klein bottle soon.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Wouldn't that depend on how Pac-Man was angled? Or would 3D light just go straight through him because he has no depth (and therefore no mass, or at least impossibly insubstantial mass?)

Also, aren't we by the nature of this sort of theory 10-dimensional and just can't tell?

Zealot2120

Smash Lord
I've read several books on the topic of string theory and quntum physics, but your links are greatly appreciated.

And you're right, I am talking about other dimensions more than string theory. I actually wanted to talk about other dimensions initially, however I wanted it to be taken as a serious concept instead of just a concept with no connection to reality, so I talked about strong theory and how it is the most accepted theory presently, to build it up so that it's taken seriously.

And you are right, technically they are going around the walls, but from our perspective it does seem as going through it, because when talking about 3 dimensions, we don't usually consider going from inside to outside as going around.

As for light, we are going to assume there are no 3d lights in the pac man world. However, there are some things from other dimensions that peak through into ours. If you change Einstein's General relativity math to 4 deminsions (relativity works no matter how many dimensions), it describes maxwell's equations of light perfectly. This leads some to believe that light is an element of the 4th dimension.

750 words simply isn't enough to talk about all this though, so I had to cut stuff out. I also included how string theory was founded (entirely by acident), but I had to cut it out.

EDIT: oh, and how you said other dimensions explain why gravity is so weak actually IS related to string theory. It corresponds to M-theory (which deals with membranes and 11 dimensions, but is just a step up from string theory. It incorperates string theory) of different branes that collapse, and the theory you are actually talking about was developed by a physicist who says that our universe is one membrane floating in another. Our gravity leaks out of our brane into the other, causing gravity to become weak.

Zealot2120

Smash Lord
Hahaha, wasn't a school assignment. It was for the newspaper. Not getting marked.
For my next article i'm thinking of talking about either...

Genetics and death (there is a theory as to what causes death by old age. In theory, a geneticly modified man could live forever)

Parralel universes (quantum physics again)

General Relativity (Einstein)
or
The Platypus (it's a far more amazing creature than you can possibly imagion)

What do you think?

Zealot2120

Smash Lord
Oh! That's very interesting! Unfortunately, i have no camera or skills in animation... :(

Though I'm sure I could come up with a unique way of explaining (outside of the usual music concept people have), if someone wanted to collaborate with me..

Duke

it's just duke. nothing to get worried about.
Gosh dangit, I love science.

I did have one question, since my forte is biology not physics, what are the 10 demensions ?And if you could provide an example of each that would be great.

Top Bottom