• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stress

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I thought this would be an interesting topic. Everyone gets stressed, and right now everyone seems to be stressed by the ongoing Melee vs Brawl debate lol.

Stress can derive from many things, some serious, some very minute in importance. Alot of us have exams coming up which can lead to great deals of stress, especially due to the importance of some of them and the results of failing. The importance of passing exams within today's society has made failing seem like the end of the world. The expectations of our teachers, family and peers sometimes feels unbearable. Of course there are far more serious things that lead to stress, such as the death of a family member or serious financial or health issues.

Personally, I've got exams coming up and I've got to do some fund raising for a pilgrimage I'm going on in the summer so I've got a bit to think about. The smallest things however can often get me stressed, such as running late. The best way I find to deal with stress is doing something I enjoy such as drawing or doing physical activity such as jogging or basketball. Alternatively I just chill and listen to some music and try to get rid of my concerns.

What in particular gets you stressed? How do you deal with stress or at times do you feel stress is inescapable?

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I get tests in school almost everyday... which wouldn't be a problem if I was prepared for them! >.<
I have ANOTHER state test this week and I have NO IDEA what any of the answers are so I just guessed, and in Geometry I was the last person still trying to finish a quiz, I eventually just gave up and handed it in unfinished. ._.;

I'm really bad with tests now... on Saturday I took the SAT which was torture for me... and I have to take it again too... *sigh* there's some sort of quiz or test in every class I take now, with barely any breaks in between... I feel as if I'm gonna break and just go crazy if I get another test... but the thing is I have two more tests tomorrow. =/ ... it usually takes me almost 20 minutes until I start concentrating on a test and it takes me 3x as long to finish something as somebody else... I can't help but daydream all the time and sometimes I just fall asleep or give up trying... no matter when I go to bed I have these problems... especially the daydreaming one, I can't stop that. ^^;

Also there is this project for my Art class that's due tomorrow that I didn't even start... I don't plan on starting it either, I might just fail this marking period and not care... which is stupid because it's ART... and I like to draw but the class is SOOOOOO BORING and horrible and UGH!! >.> I just have a hard time starting projects in the class...

I CANNOT STAND school right now, I'm tired all the time and I can't help but to stress over EVERY LITTLE THING... from taking a test to a simple chore like walking to my next class... people in the hallway irk me... and I can't help but to feel nervous all the time even if I know I shouldn't! >_< So if the spotlight is ever on me I start to panic and I get all weird... even if the spotlight ISN'T on me I might do that if I feel as if it is... which adds to my already high stress level.

My grades are horrible right now, and that worries me since the people at my school are giving us college talks now... I'm not even allowed to miss a single day of school so I can never have a break!... well... other than weekends and breaks that everybody else gets. @_@; ... but I still need more, I can't take it anymore, I have constant headaches, stomach aches, drowziness, and all this other crap I don't feel like having...

I still have to worry about college and getting a part time job and all of the other stuff in life, I have a headache right now just thinking about it... I'm not ready to grow up! D=<

I seriously want to break down and cry when I'm at school... at least once a day. -_-;

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I feel you, stress honestly feels inescapable at times. I've reached the point where if the tests don't have a massive bearing on my final result, then I don't really care about them. I had the same issues as you last year and the year before and I was forced to drop Art, the subject I most loved, simply because keeping up with the work was impossible and was too stressful.

The pressure put on students by education systems, I think is too extreme. I don't really know the details of the education system in the US, but here in the UK, stress at school is common from an early age. I recently got into Uni and I honestly felt that if I didn't get into Uni, my life would suck, at least that was how it was portrayed by my teachers. I remember waking up on results day feeling sick. Even my younger brother, who is only 10, has exams coming up next year that determine what secondary he goes to, and he's displaying stress from those pressures. The pressures people face can often lead to serious problems, and my friends have told me about students commiting suicide at their respective universities.

I acknowledge that a little bit of stress is important in ensuring that you get things done, otherwise I'd always be putting things off, but sometimes it's too much. Saying all this, I can't imagine the stress people in extremely demanding professions and circumstances experience.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Man that is pretty extreme. @_@;

I don't even wanna imagine what those people experience, I have a hard enough time in high school, I don't think I could deal with the stress from an extremely demanding profession. D=

OffTheChain

Smash Ace
Work and females are the only thing that stress me out sometimes and even then a soak in the hot tub can cure that.

~rh

Smash Lord
Things that stress me out:

-love life
-school
-work
-parents

Ways I get rid of or postpone stress symptoms:
-ddr/itg2
-fighting games
-writing

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
I usually get my peak stress levels near Math exams, it lasts for days of feeling like crap but the good thing is it all goes away once I'm actually doing the exam, then I go into hyper-mode and suddenly remember most of the things I had to study (wich I didn't because videogames and my girlfriend are the only ways to forget/re-route my stress).

Heavy Metal also helps me relax, but that's only from school proyect stress.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I'm pretty chill most of the time. Unless it's something really serious (friend/family member dying in hospital, dad run over, house burning down, etc.) I'll usually get over it pretty quickly from a good jog, some funky music, or as Offthechain suggested, a soak in a hot shower or tub. Everything turns out all right in the end, and as long as I know that, why worry?

I'm also pretty artsy and don't put crap in my body. By artsy I mostly mean writing stories, poetry, and songs. And trust me when I say that the food you put in your body...it can do terrible things. As cliche as it sounds, "You are what you eat" is entirely true in the case of the mind.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I would say I'm almost constantly under stress.

Classes and coursework, taking care of applications for various things, various activities and obligations, friends that need help, planning things for the future, meeting personal goals (going to the gym frequently, flossing nightly), setting up meetings with people and professors about various things, not getting enough sleep, etc.

I guess I've just learned to handle it pretty well. I take the edge off by watching movies, reading, playing games, and hanging out with friends. Still, I'd say I'm always under a good deal of stress, more or less.

I try to make sure I don't overdo it, because I had a bad case of burnout last year that I don't want to repeat.

Top Bottom