• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stray's Belay Combo (Video Added)

Straylit

Smash Cadet
Alright so ive noticed that almost no one uses the Climbers up+B (Belay) in an offensive manner and ive always been one to do so the occasion is right so i decided to sit down and come up with an effective combo using Belay.

Belay Notes:
-Belay has priority over 'every' attack in the game as far as i have tested
-Does 16 Damage on impact
-Nana is invincible
-Nana teleports to Popo within set range
-Upon falling Nana and Popo both can do no attacks

Combo Notes:
-Can only be done when Nana has grabbed on to the opponent
-Its means to be done only as a finishing move due to the fact that if they dont die they can easily punish you due to lack of mobility from both of the climbers.
-The combo works most effectively if the Up-Jump option is left ON in the controller options
-The combo when performed appropriately can KO at 65%

With that said, the combo works like so...
If they are already at 65% or above you can just have Popo grab and CG forward once to where Nana has grabbed. If they arnt at 65% yet then CG a bit and use your own combos till they are.
Once Nana has grabbed, tap up on the stick, Popo will jump while Nana will Up-throw. As Nana is finishing her upthrow animation tap up on the control stick again, this will use Popo's second jump and Popo will be slightly below the opponent. Then simply Up+B, Nana will teleport to Popo and perform a Belay, hitting the opponent and KOing them. When done fluidly this is a very quick and painful KO that is both very effective and reliable.

::EDIT::
Here is a video of what this looks like when tied in with a normal CG combo. Sorry it took so long to get this up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J36OFAisa4s

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
That's worth a try. Good work. I hope you didn't just try to name the combo after yourself, thats just tacky.

ICYDp

Smash Rookie
Hey ive just tried this a few times, and i can get it to work but it seems like you do not connect before the enemie could DI/Dodge, vs a training comp i got it off but in a real match im not sure, i would like to see a video of how fast you can get it off.

Straylit

Smash Cadet
Hey ive just tried this a few times, and i can get it to work but it seems like you do not connect before the enemie could DI/Dodge, vs a training comp i got it off but in a real match im not sure, i would like to see a video of how fast you can get it off.
Well when i figured out that 65% seemed to be the lowest % possible to KO at thats what i tested it with. Youll find that if the oppent is slightly more damaged 75%-80% they travel slightly further up before gaining control of their character again which helps negate their ability to DI. And i kindof got it to where i can pull it off quicker too.

When fighting human players ive noticed that nearly everyone will try to come back down and punish with a D-air once they have been knocked upwards. Since Belay is invincible you can successfully hit anyone that tries that fight back the combo. The only downfall of it that ive seen is that when people are fully aware of it they can easily dodge it. But for the unfamiliar it works well.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
This is pretty cool, i'll deffinately try to work this into my game. That is if my friend moogle (master of DI zzz)
doesn't prove to me that its less reliable than Fthrow CG to a smash.

Neat find though.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Well I tryed it.

Pros - Really easy 2 learn.
- Early Ko.

Cons - DI escapable.
- Mayb even Airdodge.

U actually have time 2 follow yur oppenents DI, so thats a plus. Little risky, but my friend LUVS out prioretizing me with his Links Dair, so Im sure this will screw em over.

Ps. Ive been doing this same thing, but a little remixed.

Grab > FowardThrow > Grab > Upthrow+Jump > Uair > DoubleJump > Uair/UpB.
At lower %s. Surprised I neva noticed this.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
I have KO'd soooo many times with Belay. Mainly from underneath platforms in stages like Battlefield and Yoshi's Story where they don't expect it. ;p Seriously guys, Belay is too good. If this is a combo that can work well on DI, then pros to you Stray. <3

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Belay as an attack is very usefull and not risky if you know what you are doing. The best use is to punish someone above you from using dair, mainly the auto fastfall ones like GaW and toonlink. Nana is completely invincible (Not super armor, invincible like your coming down from a revival platform) and she will hit them out of their dair, combine that with the fact they are already high in the air and you can score easy KOs. Another use for it is ending an uair juggling combo.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I use Up B with Ice Climbers at least once in every match offensively, I've found it to be great for killing it you land it, but I have to rarely use it otherwise it'll be expected and my opponent will air dodge it.

Straylit

Smash Cadet
All of Nana's body is the hitbox. The attack actually doesnt work as fluidly in the video. When fighting a real person they will DI but the good thing about this is that you call fall slightly to follow the DI of your opponent.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
This seems like a good way to get early KO's off of a CG. I've been using Belay in an offensive manner, mainly to punish opponents trying to jump in on me with an attack, or ending an Uair combo at the top of the screen.

Top Bottom