• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Straw Graspin': Find evidence for Newcomers

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We got a Mario Galaxy Stage and BAM! Rosalina is in the game. Boxing Ring, suddenly Little Mac.

Let's see if we can find anything that may hint at other newcomers. This is mostly for fun but make sure to back up your claims.

Here's mine

Ridley
Evidence: Pyrosphere Stage. You'd think if he was a hazard he'd be shown by now. Plus the Japanese Miiverse post had no hints so that was a translation bloop.

Toon Zelda
Evidence: The mysterious Phantom shown in Zelda's page is the exact design of the Phantoms possessed by Toon Zelda with only the eye glow missing. Plus we can't see the fingers so we can't tell if it's an assist trophy yet.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Balloon Fighter
Flipper item disconfirmed. Coincidence? Or maybe something bigger in store for the franchise?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
King Dedede's Side Smash is said to be ONE of the strongest in the game, not THE strongest like in Brawl.

King K. Rool Konfirmed.

fill

20EggsEggs
I think this thread is whats needed to keep the rumor/leak thread on track, awesome idea.

Ballon fighter: i feel like he isn't going to happen because villager has his signature move, i know he also has boxing gloves and we got mac, but the gloves arnt only to mac, but the helmet/balloon combo is iconic to balloon fighter
Im on board for toon zelda and think it's an awesome idea for the phantom, but for ridley im not sure how i feel because the metriod series normally has more stages than characters, but ridley is in the pyroshere

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a little more obscure one.

Tom Nook
Evidence: Despite being shown in the CGI part of the original Trailer Tom Nook has yet to appear in the background of the Animal Crossing Stage. The generic Villagers don't show up either so that's a pretty strong hint. Not to mention he was looking at the invite.

Edit: Partially Ninja'd

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Lip - panel de pon blocks on the nintendogs stage
Mii - pilot wings stage goes over Wuhu Island / Find Mii "dark lord" shown
Ridley - Pyrosphere stage / multiple subtle references in sakurai's daily mii verse image quotes
Palutena - Stage with a statue of her in the background
Tom Nook - the letter / not appearing on the animal crossing stage background
Balloon Fighter/Tingle - Villager had a boxing glove AND balloons... Mac showed up, so why not one of these two?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
May not be specific to Ridley, but many people interpret screenshots with these captions as Ridley being confirmed.

I do think this may hint at him as well, as Sakurai does not care about keeping characters to scale.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I feel like the Villagers balloon move if anything gives me the impression that the Balloon Fighter could be included. Just like he has boxing gloves.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad... three straws to grasp onto...

Pic of the day. Peach joins the battle! We've added 10 pictures of her on the website, but keep in mind that the game is still in development. Her moves may be refreshed by the time the games are released.

Pic of the day. Super Mario 3D World is out today in Japan! To commemorate the occasion I had these four...people(?) come together in a group shot.

Pic of the day. When Toon Link Toad joins the battle, Alfonzo Toadsworth is in charge of the train Toadstool's ???.
Alfonzo Toadsworth: "Leave it to me!"

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Pic of the day. When Toon Link Toad joins the battle, Alfonzo Toadsworth is in charge of the train Toadstool's ???.
Alfonzo Toadsworth: "Yada BlaBlaBlaBla!"
Fixed. :troll:

King K. Rool:
-Both DK vets have already been confirmed. It's a pretty widely accepted idea that DK will be getting a new rep this go-around.
-Last time all returning veterans were announced for a single series (Mario), Rosalina & Luma were announced shortly afterward.
-Both release dates for Tropical Freeze - as well as a Nintendo Direct conveniently placed on the Japanese release date of Tropical Freeze - have come and gone with only Diddy Kong to be seen. Dixie Kong's ideal confirmation time has come and gone, somewhat decreasing her chances.
-Therefore, we will eventually be getting a DK Newcomer, and he will be K. Rool.

(I'm not sure if this logic is actually effective in predicting the way that Sakurai thinks, which is why I call it "straw-grasping).

Arteen

Smash Lord
3/21

Sakurai said:
...is a Trophy. The detail in her scarf is amazing.
Sakurai's a fan of amazing scarves. You know who else has an amazing scarf?
[collapse=This guy]
[/collapse]

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Chrom
Evidence: Arena Ferox not having a Ridley stage hazard

or a chrom in the backround

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Toon Zelda
Evidence: The mysterious Phantom shown in Zelda's page is the exact design of the Phantoms possessed by Toon Zelda with only the eye glow missing. Plus we can't see the fingers so we can't tell if it's an assist trophy yet.
Also hard to tell if the fingers are fused like the other assist trophies?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Also hard to tell if the fingers are fused like the other assist trophies?
Take a good look at Waluigi, Ashley and Skull Kid here.

All of them have the fingers as one block rather than rendered separately like Playable ones.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I know it may sound crazy but I still wonder why this is true.

Paper Mario: For some reason, on ssbm AND ssbb, you get the Paper Mario trophy by doing the same thing: beat classic mode with all characters. Coincidence?

I know it obviously doesn't hint him as a newcomer but does it hints the fact that Sakurai likes him? it's just weird to include the same price for the same goal which is a goal that takes time to acheive.

R0Y

Smash Master

All of them have the fingers as one block rather than rendered separately like Playable ones.
Exactly, my point, the phantom may not though, hard to say from the angle.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Toon Zelda
I wouldn't really say that is a Toon Zelda hint, considering the Phantom shown in the Pic of the Day didn't have the possessed one's eyes, and Phantoms themselves aren't exclusive to Toon Zelda of Spirit Tracks.
They were also in Phantom Hourglass in a non-possessed form, like the one in the PotD.

3/21

Sakurai's a fan of amazing scarves. You know who else has an amazing scarf?
[collapse=This guy]
[/collapse]
You know who ELSE has amazing scarves?
Sonic Boom Sonic, and Hyrule Warriors Link.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Arena Ferox could be a stage for Chrom, Lucina or Robin.
Palutena's Temple could be a stage for Palutena.
Skyloft could be a stage for Ghirahim or Impa.

.n_n.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Captain Rainbow: Fat Mac is a trophy. In Brawl, series with no playable characters got trophies only for their protagonists. (except Animal Crossing)
Fat Mac was never a protagonist, so the protagonist of the game he appeared in is playable.

Come on, Little Mac was teased with his stage before the Direct that revealed him. Rosalina was teased with her stage before the Direct that revealed her. There'll be a new Direct on April, and that's closest thing of a tease that we got. Of course Sakurai didn't show Mimin Island, that would be too spoilerific. Little Mac's stage could pass for a generic stage, and Rosalina's stage could pass for a Mario stage, but Mimin Island can only be Mimin Island. But Fat Mac's trophy could pass for a Punch Out trophy.

(Yes, I know my English sucks.)

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Grasping straws? No problem...

Sakurai has already revealed all Mario Newcomers? I don't think so. He was popular Pre-Brawl, so Geno has been on his mind. Maybe the Square rumor was true, and Nintendo pulled everything out from SMRPG late. He'll be announced in April. Why? He's going to be in Mario Kart 8. Be ready.

Definitely grasping straws...

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Waluigi's probably the best Assist Trophy to look at, since there's playable characters on the picture with him.

Also, there's a bigger version of the Waluigi pic, since the one in the quoted post is pretty small.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Since were grasping at straws, I still feel Sakurai is making the Labrador Retriever as playable while he's using the other breed as a distraction, then no one will see the puppy coming at all.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Fixed. :troll:

King K. Rool:
-Both DK vets have already been confirmed. It's a pretty widely accepted idea that DK will be getting a new rep this go-around.
-Last time all returning veterans were announced for a single series (Mario), Rosalina & Luma were announced shortly afterward.
-Both release dates for Tropical Freeze - as well as a Nintendo Direct conveniently placed on the Japanese release date of Tropical Freeze - have come and gone with only Diddy Kong to be seen. Dixie Kong's ideal confirmation time has come and gone, somewhat decreasing her chances.
-Therefore, we will eventually be getting a DK Newcomer, and he will be K. Rool.

(I'm not sure if this logic is actually effective in predicting the way that Sakurai thinks, which is why I call it "straw-grasping).
I'll play.

-We haven't seen anything from the Donkey Kong series except for DK and Diddy. Anything. No, the green-tinted generic Adventure Mode stages people claim to be from Donkey Kong because "lolgreen = jungle" don't count. And this is in spite of almost three months of ideal reveal time for this sort of content passing by (the month before Tropical Freeze, the month of Tropical Freeze, and the month following Tropical Freeze). Perhaps this could be because, if too much more is revealed about the series' content this time around, it would give away K. Rool's inclusion. Namely, the potential presence of a Gangplank Galleon stage.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Palutena- Palutena/Skyworld stage and Reset bomb stage.
Mii. That weird rpg that was like animal crossing stage, the one on the date of Yoshi's supposed reveal.
Ghirahim- Skyward Sword Stage

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I'll play.

-We haven't seen anything from the Donkey Kong series except for DK and Diddy. Anything. No, the green-tinted generic Adventure Mode stages people claim to be from Donkey Kong because "lolgreen = jungle" don't count. And this is in spite of almost three months of ideal reveal time for this sort of content passing by (the month before Tropical Freeze, the month of Tropical Freeze, and the month following Tropical Freeze). Perhaps this could be because, if too much more is revealed about the series' content this time around, it would give away K. Rool's inclusion. Namely, the potential presence of a Gangplank Galleon stage.
I was thinking that same thing.

Buuut.... there's going to be at least two DK stages, and they aren't both going to be Gangplank Galleon. It's kinda weird that we've seen hardly any stages compared to the run-up to Brawl's release. It's possible there's going to be fewer stages per game, seeing as we're getting two games.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Wow, I've actually learned alot from this thread. Surprised that panel de pon (or pokemon puzzle league as I knew it) has had such a behind the scenes effect on smash. And what's up with the assist trophies blocky fingers!?! If blocky fingers means assist trophy, then could Phosphora's trophy having multiple fingers hint at her inevitable conclusion as a fully fledged character!?!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Captain Rainbow: Fat Mac is a trophy. In Brawl, series with no playable characters got trophies only for their protagonists. (except Animal Crossing)
Fat Mac was never a protagonist, so the protagonist of the game he appeared in is playable.

Come on, Little Mac was teased with his stage before the Direct that revealed him. Rosalina was teased with her stage before the Direct that revealed her. There'll be a new Direct on April, and that's closest thing of a tease that we got. Of course Sakurai didn't show Mimin Island, that would be too spoilerific. Little Mac's stage could pass for a generic stage, and Rosalina's stage could pass for a Mario stage, but Mimin Island can only be Mimin Island. But Fat Mac's trophy could pass for a Punch Out trophy.

(Yes, I know my English sucks.)
I know that's whats in my head tooif the mimin island is a stage thats like saying its a no brainer that captain rainbow will be playable

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wow, I've actually learned alot from this thread. Surprised that panel de pon (or pokemon puzzle league as I knew it) has had such a behind the scenes effect on smash. And what's up with the assist trophies blocky fingers!?! If blocky fingers means assist trophy, then could Phosphora's trophy having multiple fingers hint at her inevitable conclusion as a fully fledged character!?!
Uh.... trophies have multiple fingers... Assist Trophies don't....

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Anyway I'm going to do one done already but here goes

Ridley

• Well obviously the pyrosphere stage
  • Sakurai put a picture and quote of the particular picture that deconfirms the ridley is too big arguement (but people still won't let it go though)
  • A few references to fighting beast/big guys
  • Still no sign if him as a stage hazard on that stage
  • Little mac is the second most requested character in the west and confirmed playable maybe the first will get the same
  • He upgraded each time in the series (64:stage background, melee:in intro, brawl:boss' and possible the highest rank playable in the 4th one)
That's what I got anything I missed

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Can I just point out that In Brawl we had Smashville but no Villager? No? Okay....

But Mii seems legit. Theyve got like 3 (?) stages now, and you dont see one in the cage in that Find Mii stage, or anywhere in the background of the Pilotwings Resort stage.

fill

20EggsEggs
Since were grasping at straws, I still feel Sakurai is making the Labrador Retriever as playable while he's using the other breed as a distraction, then no one will see the puppy coming at all.
I could see that, but if your going to put a dog in the game, it might as well be duck hunt dog

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wouldn't really say that is a Toon Zelda hint, considering the Phantom shown in the Pic of the Day didn't have the possessed one's eyes, and Phantoms themselves aren't exclusive to Toon Zelda of Spirit Tracks.
No, but Pink ones are.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Here's a little more obscure one.

Tom Nook
Evidence: Despite being shown in the CGI part of the original Trailer Tom Nook has yet to appear in the background of the Animal Crossing Stage. The generic Villagers don't show up either so that's a pretty strong hint. Not to mention he was looking at the invite.

Edit: Partially Ninja'd
I'll admit, since I'm not the biggest AC fan, I thought he was disconfirmed, but thankfully he still has a chance.

Still a bit suspicious that one of the most popular animal crossing characters still hasn't been shown on the stage yet...

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Anyway I'm going to do one done already but here goes

Ridley

• Well obviously the pyrosphere stage
  • Sakurai put a picture and quote of the particular picture that deconfirms the ridley is too big arguement (but people still won't let it go though)
  • A few references to fighting beast/big guys
  • Still no sign if him as a stage hazard on that stage
  • Little mac is the second most requested character in the west and confirmed playable maybe the first will get the same
  • He upgraded each time in the series (64:stage background, melee:in intro, brawl:boss' and possible the second highest rank assist trophy in the 4th one)
That's what I got anything I missed
I edited your quote :troll:
I will never shove off Ridley as fake until Sakurai either discomfirms him or confirms hims. If he isnt a playable character fans will rage 'laughs'

Top Bottom